Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to separate the noise from the facts.     Fish and exercise help cure anxiety filled stress responses.

For anyone else with a high insulin level...eating a can everyday of sardines, mackerel, salmon, trout or tuna will work wonders for bringing that Olde BS down.   {Blood Sugar}.   No BS up in here. All kinds.  Eating fish opens your  eyes.   Fish Eyes.

c388ef66a9c3bd9d3ac4171fb1125fc6.jpg

You won't have a Trout Pout because fish raises your HAPPY AWARENESS.  

article-0-18E49BA9000005DC-734_306x423.j

I watched Dr. Oz yesterday.   Kirkor.  :)   It was a good show about the differences between gluten or wheat allergies.  Many people think they're only allergic to gluten when it's actually wheat they need to leave alone.  It could be all grains they should avoid.  Wheat, rye, barley, corn, oats and on and on, not only gluten.

Gluten is only part of the big picture.  He warned about what I call 'highly engineered to be craved' gluten-free foods.  They're not really monitored by anyone and everyone is jumping on the gluten-free wagon because they sell.   He said,   might as well call them  GLUTEN-FREE JUNK FOODS.     I agree.   Because the gluten has been replaced with more sugars or replacement flours like tapioca or rice.  Those raise the Olde BS just like regular sugar.   

Gluten-free cake and cookies are still CAKE AND COOKIES.  It's junk we can live without.

After years and years of eating grains and sugars in the form of replacement flours, living without authentic proteins....that's a hook-up for a set-up with Diabetes.   No one is doing themselves a favor by avoiding protein and good dietary fats.     A life of nothing but grains will shorten your life.   I cannot tell you the number of women I know who avoid meat, linger long with grains and have breast and ovarian cancer.  Grains are not the answer.   Avoiding meat and fish are the recipe for a disaster down the road.   I believe that with everything within my being.

Grains.  Brain Drain.   The brain on grains falls mainly on the plains and puts someone at risk for quite literally everything.   If you're going to eat wheat everyday,  you should eat meat and fish, too.    Eat fish. Everyday.  In my book. 

Lily, I put 1/2 can of tuna and some spinach in my eggs this morning.  And I did that BEFORE I sat down here and read your fish posts.   :)

I always cook my eggs in coconut oil and salt.  I find this transforms them.  

And I finished breakfast off with two raw brazil nuts.  This is our favorite brand.  In the past, we've had some that had a really strong taste (maybe rancid?) -- but this brand has always been good.  We get them from Vitacost.

IMG_7402.jpg

Having this thread going has got to be helpful for all of us.  I didn't feel like I was doing TOO bad with my nutrition, but in the past couple of weeks I've made some good, noticeable changes.  And as we all know, those little changes add up to one big change.   :)

These nuts were just hanging out in my kitchen cabinet.  I ~knew~ about fish, and I ~knew~ about brazil nuts, but I hadn't had any for awhile.  {shrug}  As Lily says, I think the mind wants to get lazy.  It wants to go back to old habits, it wants to do what is really EASY.  

In fact, I learned quite a bit about that in this book I got from the library awhile ago:  We Are Our Brains.  http://smile.amazon.com/Are-Our-Brains-Neurobiography-Alzheimers/dp/0812992962/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443023551&sr=8-1&keywords=we+are+our+brains  Not one of my favorite books ever, but it really gave me a lot to think about and was an interesting read, for sure.

Man, on a semi-related note, how awesome is VitaCost?

Seriously.  We get so much stuff from there now.  You can almost always find a coupon.  Free shipping over $49.  And I always compare to Amazon.  Sometimes Amazon is cheaper -- but not often anymore.

I started out hiking the ridge, cleaned up and then took my Maw to town.    Just a few head smacks.  We're too much alike but I helped her straighten everything out everywhere.   That's my job.   It takes many hours of running around.   She's all settled in for the night and I'll eat the lesser frog after supper.   A smaller hike,  must get it while the gettin' is good. 

I don't think there's any singing or dancing tonight.   I hope everyone is enjoying this autumnal equinox.  I'll be back to tuck you in.  Later gators. 

first-day-of-fall-2015-northern-hemisphe

^ This.

Meadow, you get it. You do. You sometimes doubt yourself, but you've lasted this long, and you're not about to start back sliding now all for a few chocolate covered raisins. Now pull yourself together - practice what you preach - compliant without complaint - and if all else fails have a spoonful of that macnut oil you're always bangin' on about...  ;)  :P

Indeed. That mac oil is the shiznit! :D 

Gluten is only part of the big picture.  He warned about what I call 'highly engineered to be craved' gluten-free foods.  They're not really monitored by anyone and everyone is jumping on the gluten-free wagon because they sell.  

Gluten-free cake and cookies are still CAKE AND COOKIES.  It's junk we can live without.

Grains are not the answer.   Avoiding meat and fish are the recipe for a disaster down the road.   I believe that with everything within my being.

Meadow, I can attest to this! I'm not celiac or allergic to grains, BUT they do make me crave. :o  If I eat corn chips, even GMO-free, cooked in good oil chips, they're food without brakes for me, and they lead to eating other grains, which is why I'm doing this W30 this time to give my gut a reset and am coming here to learn more. Thank you and Brewer for helping me here with this! I do have Grain Brain in my Amazon wish list; I will be able to get it soon, and I cannot wait to read it! Grains are BAD. The hubs and I had sugar-free, nitrite-free, Applegate Farms grass fed beef hot dogs in sweet potato boats, and they were immensely better than when we played with the GF buns. We won't go back to the GF foods! At least, I won't- I cannot speak for the hubs completely.  B) 

Hey there, Lancer...what's happening today with your recipes/dishes, supper and busy schedule?

Ah, yeah...today has been very long but I'm not hungry! (Or hangry even, which is miraculous). I came into work at 9 a.m. waiting on some peeps to do some installation in my business. Left at 2:15 to take a very long walk because I needed to get out of the "office". I walked 2.8 miles in total, and it took my one hour in total (Up a hill, down a hill, down a steep hill, up a steep hill, up another hill, and down another hill). I had a breakfast casserole this morning that i made with homemade pork sausage, roasted butternut squash, spinach, and eggs. Coffee with coconut milk, and an AMericano with coconut milk later this morning (picked up on my first walk to work- 1 more mile that I forgot to include with the other walks). Lunch was slow-cooked pork tenderloin cooked in tomatoes, onions, spices, and bone broth mixture, with roasted beets and carrots on the side. So good...I won't get dinner till I get home, which will be at around 8:45- it'll be a hard boiled egg, pork, spinach and veggie salad with homemade mayo and seasonings. Still at work now- my client's haircolor is processing and I've got to rinse it off soon! How about you all?

You have a great personality.   It's no mistake that you've found us.  ;) 

If were in the same town, we'd all be hanging out at your business,   drinking booch and having a good time.  Then we would go for a hike up and down those hills....a lorra lorra hills, jmcbn. 

And I just want to share that I got 26 floors on my fitbit tonight -- climbing up and down the stairs at the art center where my son was taking a new class.  Karen, I know, this is probably child's play for you -- but I never get floors.  Like, hardly any.  I earned my 10 badge and my 25 badge all in the same night!   :lol:   I want to keep this up every week. 

^ This was one week ago.  

Tonight at the art center, I doubled that and got 53 floors!

Woot.   :)

I've decided this is my Wednesday Workout.

Seriously.  We get so much stuff from there now.  You can almost always find a coupon.  Free shipping over $49.  And I always compare to Amazon.  Sometimes Amazon is cheaper -- but not often anymore.

Today I found a site thrivemarket.com -- it is a subscription site, but the prices are cheaper than Amazon and free shipping over $49.  You should check it out.

I am sitting here on my little couch, waiting for the movers to come any minute...

For me Whole30 turned into a whole59 because I was not ready to do the reintro, my digestion was so much better, and I needed that extra time to figure things out with my body. The BEST thing about it was the brain reset experienced. I read about people "blowing" it all the time because they are stressed out about something. I experienced the opposite. I am less stressed thru wholesome eating, and when a period of unexpected high levels of stress from the outside hit home, I go back strictly on program, to help my body deal with the extra load of stress. It's been the best discovery ever. It just makes the biggest difference, because I am a control freak by nature, and not having control over a particular situation makes me want to be on total control of how I feed my body. Major brain reset...

Archived