Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

"There are no rules.  Just my own."

This is what has gone through my head a lot over these past several months, as I decided I was tired of trying to follow rules.  Someone else's rules.  Because they said so.

I do believe this is the bottom line when it comes down to it.  We have to take personal responsibility for our choices, and we have to make those choices one meal at a time.  But in order to do that, I think we have to have a lot of experience trying different things.  Seeing what works, seeing what doesn't, and hopefully understanding the why.

I don't have a problem with the people who come here and do multiple Whole 30's.  I have done three, and I have learned a lot each time.  I did each one a little differently.  Each one was its own unique experiment.

However, I think when people try to do these long, extended ones -- instead of just deciding (really, truly deciding) to make it a lifestyle -- well, I think these are the folks who fall into that "all or nothing" mentality that is so dangerous and will just keep you running around and around in circles, chasing your tail.  It also sets up the "Look, I am doing really good!" ...and the inevitable... "I feel bad because I'm off the wagon" cycle.  

The reality is that there is no wagon.  We are just walking the trail of life.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree.   1000%.  

No good girl - bad girl.    No being naughty or I'm cheating.   These are childish terms.  We're  no longer children and we should talk about food in an adult way.

I won't eat baby food.  I don't care how convenient it is.    We have teeth and we should use them.

I don't know about you but I don't remember anyone truly suffering when I was a kid in school from not constantly eating all day long.   We had gym class and track practice and in the Spring, we walked home from school.   It was over 5 miles one way.   

I don't remember constantly stopping to eat every hour on the hour.  I was the healthiest I've ever been.  Yes,  youth was on my side.   It was the movement and exercise, far and above anything else I was doing.

I had 3 home cooked meals aday.   That's it.      I thrived.

I cannot remember a single day being fixated on food.  I didn't think about what Maw was fixing for dinner  or linger long on every food thought.   I did not.    The kids on the school bus weren't fixated on food.   There was no eating on the bus.  Period.    No pop machines or potato chips at school.

It was basic and plain.   There was choco milk on Fridays with fish sticks.  That was the treat of the week.  I'm going back to the future.    

When I go back to the future,  I'm bringing everything forward that I used to instinctively know as a kid. When kids are fed super foods without their knowledge that multi-crap foods are lurking around every corner, they eat and thrive.   

It takes adults helping a kid to forget how to listen to their own body.  Adults...in error, make lots of mistakes and may encourage a child to start craving all of the wrong kinds of foods.   It then becomes a lifelong task to undo the damage.

I'm somewhere in the future and I look much better than I look right now.  I take complete responsibility for ruining a good thing I had going as a kid.   I quit listening to my self.  So I'm working on that and I'm going to reach back and pull myself forward.

I want the rest of my life to be as good as the first part of my life.   I'm the only one who can do that.  I still have Maw and Paw and I love them.   I must get on over there and be with the folkaronies.  Right now. This minute.   I need to bask in their acceptance.   

So long now.   I'll catch you on the flip-flop.    Today is not promised to anyone.

That it is, jmcbn.   I know you and Brewer have taken the road less traveled and it's a good road.

I ate the bigger frog this morning and will eat the lesser one later on.   Moving is more important than just about anything else.   Brewer's post catapulted me right on out the door. 

"The simple act of moving your body will do more for your brain than any riddle, math equation, mystery book, or even thinking itself."

Overthinking everything.  We all know people who are stuck to the couch. Frozen to their computer and typing nonstop for 20 hours aday or watching TV.  There's no exercise, no movement...completely stuck in time, forever.   Ten years from now, they'll still be stuck. Unable to detach from the past, the couch, the computer and multi-crap. 

The purpose of life is to live a life with purpose. 

I've got lots more good stuff from Dr. Perlmutter... I just can't find the quiet time to post right now.  

I've realized it's not that I have "Grain Brain" nearly as much as I don't have any frickety frick frick time to do all the things I want to do in a day!  

:lol:

You like frickety frick frick.   :D  :lol:   That's good.  I'm ordering that book today.  mmmm hmmm.

There's a former member I've been thinking about who released 80 lbs.  I'm wondering what's happened to them.   Maybe we'll see them pretty soon.   I like those Stick the Landing success stories...like waaaay into the future.MAroney1-624x344.jpg

Whoo HOooo!!!!!   Compliant day!  I am on a role!  (and only one piece of fruit)

Hi Kmlynne- that is great news. I had to wean myself from fruit (now I only have it sometimes in the morning, when I make morning mix), because it packs the fat on me even though my blood sugar reads normal. Keep up the good work with the exercise- there's no way I can do that much exercise on any given day. I just do my core strengthening PT exercises, take a few walks, and it seems best for me. We all gotta do what we love and can sustain, yeah? That makes us feel good to boot!

However, I think when people try to do these long, extended ones -- instead of just deciding (really, truly deciding) to make it a lifestyle -- well, I think these are the folks who fall into that "all or nothing" mentality that is so dangerous and will just keep you running around and around in circles, chasing your tail.  It also sets up the "Look, I am doing really good!" ...and the inevitable... "I feel bad because I'm off the wagon" cycle.  

The reality is that there is no wagon.  We are just walking the trail of life.

Hmmmmmm.....  yes - this is what I have FINALLY understood.  I have done w100s, and w*howeverlong*s......  In some ways, it was the accountability.  In other ways, it was a way to train my brain (and habits) to stay away from the processed sugar laden foods that I have "learned" to love over my lifetime.

Yes, I agree that people who jump on and off the w30 are in danger of using it as a "diet".  After all, the basic premise of the program is to discover how your body feels when you stop pouring crap into it.  then maybe, just maybe, you can remember what G.O.O.D. feels like and want to stay there.

I think I have discovered this year that "falling off the wagon" is the end all and be all.  It is a time to rally the rest of the wagons and jump back on.  There are times when it is ok to "indulge".  (I will never pass up my mom's Black Forest Cake on my birthday).  However, it cannot be a launch point for rolling along the ground and laying there in shock.  

Clean eating has to become a way of life.  

I cannot remember a single day being fixated on food.  I didn't think about what Maw was fixing for dinner  or linger long on every food thought.   I did not.    The kids on the school bus weren't fixated on food.   There was no eating on the bus.  Period.    No pop machines or potato chips at school.

It was basic and plain.   There was choco milk on Fridays with fish sticks.  That was the treat of the week.  I'm going back to the future.    

I so agree!!!!!  

I think I have ranted on here about my frustration with feeding kids all day long.  Crazy!  Every class, every activity, has to have a snack.  Its nuts.  

Then we wonder why we are raising a society of "adult onset" diabetic, obese kids......  and its not because they never go out to play (but that's another soapbox).

Yeah, Lancer, where ARE you, anyway?

...Hopefully out Lifting Heavy Things...

What do you mean about my protocol?

What do you want to know, specifically?

I"m not on here much because I'm busy running 2 businesses, working in my business, cooking food for me and my husband, running errands and doing other household chores, doing PT exercises every night (for my core), and sometimes we get to watch stuff on Netflix. I work in the salon on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. I can check notifications on my phone but ya know, we're not allowed to be playing with our phones or anything at meals. This is more time than I've spent on ANY forum, since i"ve had a busy life anyways (and since being self-employed). 

Brewer- what do you mean my lifting heavy things? I lift my body weight, which is heavy, when I do my PT exercises. :D

No BS up in here.   "Don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself".  That's a song.  I don't post songs in the morning...only at bedtime.   I'm weaning myself from distracting myself.   I still use music for dancing and HAPPY AWARENESS.

This is Brewer's log.  All of her friends are here.   Lancer, you're out there somewhere.   Where are you?

I'm here, Lily and Brewer- but I need to be focusing on work; making money, because it's a slow week. I'm also not very forum-savvy. You two have been at this for quite awhile, from the looks of it :) I'm doing well btw- and I totally am putting macadamia nut oil into my tea now; so much better than just having water after the noon hour! :D

Lancer, we're your Whole 30 sistas.   You're real and authentic.   We like that.  Understood and appreciated that you have obligations and work.  I'm happy you're putting MacNut Oil in your tea.coffee-bath-smiley.gif?1292867572

We have our lil meeting in Brewer's Clubhouse.   It's enough.  I'm good.  Let's Dance.  

So I finished Grain Brain tonight (again), while I was walking around and around and around at football.  

A few great thoughts from the very end:

"As long as you get back on track once you catch yourself, you'll be fine.  Just don't let a small slip derail you forever."

"Progress is sometimes better than perfection."

"For many, health may not be the most important thing in life, but without it, nothing else matters."

And a sobering statistic:

"And although we are presently ranked first in the world in health-care spending, we are ranked thirty-seventh in overall health-system performance, according to the World Health Organization, and twenty-second in life expectancy among the thirty developed countries."

^ Really think on that one for awhile, folks.  We cannot rely on "the system" to keep us healthy.  We are 100% in charge of this ourselves.

I've got lots more good stuff from Dr. Perlmutter... I just can't find the quiet time to post right now.  

I've realized it's not that I have "Grain Brain" nearly as much as I don't have any frickety frick frick time to do all the things I want to do in a day!  

Time? Yes, please- how can we has more time?   :blink:

I love singing and dancing, so I was switching back n forth between the Voice and Dancing with the Stars.   I had a laughing episode. I literally threw my head into the couch and laughed and laughed and laughed.

One of the judges thought he was being complimentary but he told a beautiful woman that she looked like a reupholstered couch.  The look on her face was priceless.  She readjusted her dress and I thought to myself, I've looked like a couch with throw pillows that were over-stuffed and lumpy.   Oooooo,  I'm going to  go into orbit, again.   A reupholstered couch.   The visual.

2013-10-22-22-04-02.jpg

Archived