Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to put my two cents worth in about the statins.

I used to be on statins because - despite a low fat diet (the "cardiac diet"), my cholesterol was near 300.  After a couple of years on the statins, I developed muscle and joint aches and pains.  My dr chose to stop the statins at that time, with a plan to restart them after 6 months.  During that time, I found w30.  I also learned that the low fat cardiac diet was not evidence based practice, but rather, a bunch of lies that a dr convincingly sold to the people.  (His "research" is now being found to be highly flawed - and flat out wrong).  

When it came time to restart the statins, I asked my dr if we could hold off.  He was in agreement as long as my labs were "horrible".  

Yesterday, I got my yearly labs back from my Dr:

Trig:  219 (with a note for a goal of <150)

Chol:  214 (compare that to the almost 300 from a few years ago on a low fat diet)

HDL:  37 (yes, I need to work on this)

LDL:  136 (again, lower than it has been in years)

VLDL: 44 (don't pay much attention to this one  :P )

Lancerlott:  My advice (humble as it may be) - talk to your doctor.  Ask if you can stay off the statins if you can continue to show improvement in your lab work.  Continue to eat well (including good fats) and exercise - and prove that the low fat diet is a myth  :)

Thank you for your advice, Karen! That's a good idea, and I'll do exactly that. If it means more blood tests, FINE. Its worth the money, especially since now I only have to go to my Physical Therapist one.more.time, then we're done! (Cuz I've done excellent with the home exercises and have made such progress there). 

The kids and I were out a lot today, going to various appointments, classes, stores, running errands.

Once again, I had a few moments of, "WOW, we are surrounded by things we can't eat."

Most of the time, I feel pretty upbeat about it, and just shake my head and I'm thankful that we know better now.

Sometimes, it gets a bit depressing.

We are surrounded by things we can't eat.

Dave Ramsey came to mind (the financial guru):  "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else."

Now, of course, he is talking about money.  But he is also talking about having self-discipline.  It applies here, as well.

I am living like no one else I know in real life.  NO ONE.  I am doing this because I do not believe that I am destined to get sick and fat as I get older.  I do not believe that we must start using prescriptions at some point.  I believe that my body was perfectly designed, and it knows just exactly what it needs to do.  Any symptom I have had has been my body letting me know that something is wrong.

I am listening.  I am respecting my body for all that it does and the wonderful machine that it is.  

I am living like no one else now, so that later I can live like no one else.

Karen -- Lancer --

Jimmy Moore's Cholesterol Clarity book is literally an entire, full-sized book on this subject.  I own it -- I just haven't finished it yet.  But there is way too much info for me to share here.

One quote:

"It's very clear that the things you should be most concerned about with your lipids are your HDL and your VLDL, otherwise known as your triglycerides level.  When your HDL is low and your VLDL level is high, this means your metabolic system is out of whack.  It is a very important sign of underlying issues, like insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, which are the things you should really be worried about bringing under control.  These are important signs that your health is in danger."  -- Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, page 115

Okay, another:

"HDL has been all but ignored by mainstream medicine, which focuses almost exclusively on LDL and total cholesterol.  And yet it can be argued that this number (along with triglycerides) is the best predictor of heart disease risk.  To derive the biggest benefits for your cardiovascular health, you want your HDL cholesterol at 70 mg/dL or higher, which is more than what mainstream experts recommend.  Anything below 50 should be cause for concern."  -- page 198

And one more:

"In general, the lower you can make your VLDL-C, the better off your heart health will be.  Aim for between 10 and 14 mg/dL VLDL."  -- page 199

------

If your numbers are off -- what do you suppose the answer is?  Too much carbohydrate.  Book after book after book after book, this is the answer I am coming up with.

True. Also, I just had a cardiac stress test because of a "scare", and my heart was healthy- NOTHING wrong with it. (Why is she forgetting this???) Oh, and here are my last lab results (from September): "our bad cholesterol went up a bit from December.  It is at 156 and it was 144.  The triglycerides are steadily coming down and the good cholesterol is up a bit.  Your bad to good ratio improved a bit. Blood sugar, liver, and kidneys were good. Red and white blood cells were good.

Your testosterone was at the low end of normal, 64.9 with the range 35-155." -I'm going to ask her for a copy of the actual numbers from all of those tests the next time I see her (which also will be after my next blood tests). It'll be good to compare.

In Brain Maker news:  He is getting into instructions for fermenting foods.  This is new territory for me, and I fully admit to being comfortable in my comfort zone.   ^_^

And that opens up the subject of food anxiety, which may be a big post for another day.

Lancer, I've been meaning to ask you:  What do they recommend is the best thing to brush with, in your dental book?

Or have you not been able to read any more of it?

I also wonder if they discuss oil pulling.  My eye doctor and I got into a discussion about this today.   :D

In Brain Maker news:  He is getting into instructions for fermenting foods.  This is new territory for me, and I fully admit to being comfortable in my comfort zone.   ^_^

And that opens up the subject of food anxiety, which may be a big post for another day.

Fermenting food is actually quite easy - I have done green beans, carrots and cabbage.  The dilled fermented green beans are the bomb :)

Lancer, I've been meaning to ask you:  What do they recommend is the best thing to brush with, in your dental book?

I also wonder if they discuss oil pulling.  My eye doctor and I got into a discussion about this today.   :D

What was the good docs thoughts?

What was the good docs thoughts?

She and I always get on the subject of nutrition.  Always.  This is because I have dealt with such anxiety about appointments in the past, that I finally just opened up to her one year and shared with her what I was dealing with.  (Which makes it easier.  It is always easier if I have talked to someone about it.)

Anyway -- she asked me if we were still "keeping things pretty clean".  Oh, yes.  I briefly say we try to stick to meat, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and throw out there that we've learned a lot about our middle son with dyes, artificial flavors, etc.

She said she just had a client in there who had been to college and had a big degree in aviation of some kind.  He was a pilot.  And his teenage son was diagnosed with schizophrenia.  And this guy said he basically STOPPED all that he was doing.  He said he went to the library and read every scientific text he could find.  He said it all came back to nutrition.

So he started a farm.  He and his wife have now devoted their life to nutrition and fitness.  They have also developed some sort of exercise contraption that is popular in Europe (!) and they have also developed a formula of some sort that is supposed to remove ALL residue of pesticides from foods.

Anyway -- it was in this brief discussion during our eye exams, that she said they also shared with her about oil pulling.  She said one of them had done the oil pulling for about a month, and had a complete disappearance of warts that had been covering the body.

I have had these flat warts on my legs for a few years now.  They don't really bother me, but I know they are caused by a virus and it bothers me that my body isn't clearing it out.  SO.  My ears perked up on that part, for sure.

I think oil pulling is on my list of things to get into the habit of.  It can't hurt, right?  What could it possibly hurt to try?

Fermenting food is actually quite easy - I have done green beans, carrots and cabbage.  The dilled fermented green beans are the bomb :)

I have been thinking of you while reading this book, because I remember you talking about this on your log.  I had no idea at the time what the significance really was.

When I did a Candida diet years ago, we were to avoid anything fermented.  They wanted you to take probiotics, yes -- but the fermented stuff was OUT as far as I remember.  So this is really a shift in thinking for me.

Here it is! *I used whole pumpkins (and roasted the seeds after I had scooped them out), and also used Sugar-Free bacon (only 12 o. instead of the 16-24 oz. recommended, and also used half coconut oil/half bacon fat)! http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/rustic-bacon-and-pumpkin-soup.html

Oooooh - this looks GOOD!!

I think I might have to make this as soon as I can get my hands on some pumpkins!!

Bear smoked several sides of ribs and finished them off in the oven.  They were so delicious and we shared with everyone.   I made my signature coleslaw with Coconut Secret Coconut Vinegar, sweet onion, celery, celery seed, salt, pepper,  mayo.  There were blackeyed peas ,  green beans,  Irish potatoes with cabbage, bacon.

It was an awesome dinner.   I don't have any recipes and Bear's dry rub has been perfected over the years.

He does make a vinegary sauce without any sugars.   I don't have any problems with blackeyed peas and green beans.  I can eat green peas and legumes, wild rice without any problems.  They don't make me crave other foods.   So it's good to be able to have some now and again without any problems.   I don't care for pintos, though..in any way, shape or form.  

The kids and I were out a lot today, going to various appointments, classes, stores, running errands.

Once again, I had a few moments of, "WOW, we are surrounded by things we can't eat."

Most of the time, I feel pretty upbeat about it, and just shake my head and I'm thankful that we know better now.

Sometimes, it gets a bit depressing.

We are surrounded by things we can't eat.

Dave Ramsey came to mind (the financial guru):  "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else."

Now, of course, he is talking about money.  But he is also talking about having self-discipline.  It applies here, as well.

I am living like no one else I know in real life.  NO ONE.  I am doing this because I do not believe that I am destined to get sick and fat as I get older.  I do not believe that we must start using prescriptions at some point.  I believe that my body was perfectly designed, and it knows just exactly what it needs to do.  Any symptom I have had has been my body letting me know that something is wrong.

I am listening.  I am respecting my body for all that it does and the wonderful machine that it is.  

I am living like no one else now, so that later I can live like no one else.

^^^^^ This!  

We ARE perfectly made.  We are not made to put on all types of meds.  Food and our overall diets should be reviewed before giving any meds. But alas - people go looking for pills first.

I say this knowing that I have the knee joints and hip joints of a 70 year old woman.  Why?  I have no idea.  Was it because of my previous sucky diet? probably had something to do with it.  Was it because I stood on concrete for 12 hour days in my early 20's - maybe (definitely hard on the joints) Is it possibly because I have always been overweight? (This was the Dr's conclusion - which I wanted to punch her for - she was literally a stranger walk-in clinic Dr.  Didn't know me from boo) Possibly.  It's probably all of these things put together.  Which is a perfect reaction for my body to give under all circumstances.

I am going to do what I can do to live a long and healthy life.  If it means if I don't eat something - I don't eat something. 

Bear smoked several sides of ribs and finished them off in the oven.  They were so delicious and we shared with everyone.   I made my signature coleslaw with Coconut Secret Coconut Vinegar, sweet onion, celery, celery seed, salt, pepper,  mayo.  There were blackeyed peas ,  green beans,  Irish potatoes with cabbage, bacon.

It was an awesome dinner.   I don't have any recipes and Bear's dry rub has been perfected over the years.

He does make a vinegary sauce without any sugars.   I don't have any problems with blackeyed peas and green beans.  I can eat green peas and legumes, wild rice without any problems.  They don't make me crave other foods.   So it's good to be able to have some now and again without any problems.   I don't care for pintos, though..in any way, shape or form.  

Lily - my mouth is watering.... are you able to send some over? :D

Bear has taught me everything about cooking.  He doesn't care over easy eggs with all those crunchies on the outside.  

15233668750_3bc69bfaa2.jpg

I can't compete with his skills in the kitchen.  His eggs are perfect every single time.  I try and I try and I try...I can't get no satisfaction....perfect eggs.  Still working on them.  He's always teaching me how to make the perfect roast beef or prime rib.   Even Maw cannot make a prime rib like he does.  No one can touch him in the kitchen. 

There's something about the way my husband works that's like art.  He's smooth with these fast fluid motions.   I've never seen anything like it my life.   It's all a blur and you can't take your eyes off of his motions.  He has a really technical and dangerous job at heights of 300 ft in the air.   He's fearless and confident...same way in the kitchen.   

I sit back and watch and then he says,   Now, go ahead and you do it.   We laugh our hindends off because it looks like a dog's breakfast.  There you go, Hon.   

I have not been able to read any more of it yet. Still reading Grain Brain when I have the chance. And right now with my borther in town, I'm not getting much chance to read anything, and won't for a week. Lol. 

Although the plane doesn't fly until tomorrow am....  I am officially on vacation!

I stopped by to see my manager last night after my class.  I turned in my last board (poster board education for skills validations).  I took a deep breath.  Wow - did that feel good.  I almost felt at a loss because I had nothing looming over me ;)

I have Keto Clarity on my iPad.  I can't wait to read it on the plane.  

I realized that I only have to get in 140 miles over the next two weeks to be "caught up" to meet my goal of 2015 miles walked in 2015.  I know I can do that!  

I will be on here as much as internet allows - and hopefully will have the time to add to the conversation :)

I don't know why I didn't think to mention this sooner -- Karen -- or anyone --

Jimmy Moore also does THREE different podcasts.  You can find them all on iTunes (for free).  Just type in his name and listen away, to whatever interests you!  :)

Cookout today at the neighbor's house.  I spent all of last night & part of this morning working on deviled eggs with BACON in them.  Yum.  

I am also taking a store-bought veggie tray and a variety of olives.  I heard through the grapevine that the hosts are doing "Atkins or something".  The neighbor who told me says, "And all you can eat on that is like, meat and... like, bacon."   :lol:

This should be interesting.  We have a variety of different families with different eating styles and beliefs, all coming together to share a meal.  Maybe I should take a sedative before we go, so I can keep my mouth shut about nutrition.  Lol.

Lily, I was just coming here to update when you posted.  :)

We had a nice relaxing visit.  The hosts had pulled pork with no sauce, grilled pork tenderloins and steak.  Another neighbor brought a big pan of roasted veggies, and fresh fruit.  We brought the bacon deviled eggs, variety of olives, and the veggie tray.  Another family was supposed to be there, and they are the ones who have five kids and she always makes glutenous desserts that look amazing, but we never eat.  

So -- there was actually not a single thing there that we had to avoid.  That part was great.

I did have a couple of things come up that really ...disturbed me, I guess would be the word.  It's really hard for me to know all that I know and not be able to help a lot of the people we care about.  I have an internal struggle because I want to speak up, and at the same time I don't want to.  I am always trying to decide whether to say something or not.  A few things I had to let go...  a couple of things I could not.

The neighbor who I was told was doing Atkins is actually doing "The Metabolic Diet".  I'm gonna have to look that one up.  She said she couldn't eat my deviled eggs because she can't have mayo.   :mellow:   She didn't know whether olives were on her list or not.  She didn't know whether she could eat celery or not.  I have no idea what she ate.  I sat right next to her, but did not look!

Archived