Paleo Creamer...

mzp131

Preface:   Last Whole30 August 2014.   Stunning results, but totally fell off the wagon!

Current Whole30 started Monday (10/26).   I was bragging to my coworker about making the Paleo creamer and she said, "It's right in the rules, you can't make that because it's a swap".

I used 10 dates, hot water, and 1 can compliant coconut milk.   It's not really sweet at all, just not coconutty tasting (yes that's a word because I just typed it!   :P )

Please advise.

• Moderators

Here's what the rules say (I've bolded the pertinent part): 

*A few off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, waffles, cereal, potato chips, French fries, and this one recipe where eggs, date paste, and coconut milk are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. However, this list is not limited to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok....I do remember (after re-reading it up there ^) that in the book.....my husband and I have been using compliant coconut milk and cinnamon in our am coffee (I drink it black if I have another cup in the day).  I did, last week, take the cinnamon and the coconut milk and mixed it together with my immersion mixer.  This is not the same thing as above, correct?  I didn't expect it to be some heavenly answer to coffeemate days....  ;)

(BTW, I am on day 24!!!!! :D ) thanks in advance for the answer!

Ok....I do remember (after re-reading it up there ^) that in the book.....my husband and I have been using compliant coconut milk and cinnamon in our am coffee (I drink it black if I have another cup in the day).  I did, last week, take the cinnamon and the coconut milk and mixed it together with my immersion mixer.  This is not the same thing as above, correct?  I didn't expect it to be some heavenly answer to coffeemate days....  ;)

(BTW, I am on day 24!!!!! :D ) thanks in advance for the answer!

blending your coffee with cinnamon and coconut milk seems ok from what ive read. Its adding the date paste thats not allowed.

mzp131, full fat coconut milk in your coffee !   It's like real cream !  I could never drink coffee black and was dreading being stuck with tea for 30 days..black coffee with coconut milk is amazing..no "coconut" flavor (oddly) that I notice…a dash of cinnamon and it's perfect !  

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Full fat coconut milk.  Maybe 3 tbsp for this big mug (it holds 12ish oz).

22702460308_ac62724b74_n.jpg  This is why I've been paleo for 5 yrs and never drank coffee with coconut milk. Eww.

22702456718_942936a30b_n.jpg But use a milk frother... and things change.

23106924112_32f439a8e4_n.jpg  Love it.

Now I'm super confused. I already read and knew that the egg+date paste+coconut+prayer concoction was out but then I saw this recipe http://followingmynose.blogspot.kr/2010/10/primal-non-dairy-coffee-creamer.html?m=1

Right on a Whole30 blog post about quenching your thirst Whole30-style. http://whole9life.com/2012/10/quench-your-thirst-whole9-style/

So I'm assuming the linked recipe with coconut oil, coconut milk and egg is okay (prayers optional)? It's just the dates that make the first one a no-go?

This is one of two things I'd change were I to publish my own Whole30-type program. Always amazes me the lengths people go to and how many blogs and threads dedicated to testing rules and creating concoctions to improve something you don't like? If you don't like coffee, then why do you drink it? And I'm not targeting any specific forum user. Just asking the generic reader.

Others come in and say "I don't like Brussels sprouts/seafood/eggs/whatever" and we make suggestions and alternatives. Most seem to find alternatives or skip the food. So I suppose that is similar to coffee threads. And as a former coffee addict, I get the desire to have it. But I realized for myself that I liked the creaminess, not the coffee. For me it violated the psychologic health rule, and I stopped altogether. YMWV. But it took time for me to learn that, more than 30 days, so I understand this learning process.

I think my main point here is that if you don't like it, why spend so much time, energy, and Internet searching to make it work? To me these creamer creations, dates or no dates, flies against the Whole30 spirit of avoiding SAD recipes and addressing our relationship with food (as in making yourself drink something you don't like).

Ask yourself what you are looking for. Warm beverage? Caffeine fix? Creamy drink like you used to have? And think about how your answers for the Whole30 model. And from that you can target and find what you are looking for.

In the end, as I sit here sipping my hot lemon ginger water (I realized I just like a warm beverage), I admit I do like these questions as they make us think about the program, and what it means to us and our relationship with our foods. Which is why I read them. :)

This is one of two things I'd change were I to publish my own Whole30-type program. Always amazes me the lengths people go to and how many blogs and threads dedicated to testing rules and creating concoctions to improve something you don't like? If you don't like coffee, then why do you drink it? And I'm not targeting any specific forum user. Just asking the generic reader.

Others come in and say "I don't like Brussels sprouts/seafood/eggs/whatever" and we make suggestions and alternatives. Most seem to find alternatives or skip the food. So I suppose that is similar to coffee threads. And as a former coffee addict, I get the desire to have it. But I realized for myself that I liked the creaminess, not the coffee. For me it violated the psychologic health rule, and I stopped altogether. YMWV. But it took time for me to learn that, more than 30 days, so I understand this learning process.

I think my main point here is that if you don't like it, why spend so much time, energy, and Internet searching to make it work? To me these creamer creations, dates or no dates, flies against the Whole30 spirit of avoiding SAD recipes and addressing our relationship with food (as in making yourself drink something you don't like).

Ask yourself what you are looking for. Warm beverage? Caffeine fix? Creamy drink like you used to have? And think about how your answers for the Whole30 model. And from that you can target and find what you are looking for.

In the end, as I sit here sipping my hot lemon ginger water (I realized I just like a warm beverage), I admit I do like these questions as they make us think about the program, and what it means to us and our relationship with our foods. Which is why I read them. :)

I LOVE your perspective on this!  Well said...indiviually we need to figure out what's important and why. :D

• 4 months later...

Follow-up question (of sorts) to this.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but someone else had said that a splash of coconut milk in coffee in between meals turns that drink into a snack, which Whole30 advises against (but doesn't forbid).

Would you agree with that? It would be 1/14th of a fat serving and I cannot see that as a snack of any magnitude.

• Moderators

Follow-up question (of sorts) to this.  I'm not a coffee drinker, but someone else had said that a splash of coconut milk in coffee in between meals turns that drink into a snack, which Whole30 advises against (but doesn't forbid).

Would you agree with that? It would be 1/14th of a fat serving and I cannot see that as a snack of any magnitude.

No idea who said that a splash of coconut milk in coffee makes it a snack... it does not in my opinion... a full coconut milk latte, maybe... a splash? No....carry on.

Archived