Making myself like hard boiled eggs?

CassieS

Does anyone have any tips for making myself like hard boiled eggs? During my first Whole 30 (August of 2013), I went from spending 31 years hating regular cooked eggs (texture, taste, everything) to eating (and loving) eggs almost every morning for the last 17 months. Now that I am doing my second Whole 30, I want to figure out how to like hard boiled eggs. I have the same problem, I don't like the taste, texture, smell, etc. But I really need some easy protein available. When I made myself like cooked eggs during my Whole 30, I had to scramble them over potatoes for about the first 15 days to get used to the taste, then one day was able to just eat them. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar type of thing for hard boiled eggs?

Most people overcook hard boiled eggs. If there is a green ring around your yolk, a sulfurous smell, and a rubbery texture, then they are probably overcooked. This is how I cook my eggs:

I put them in a pot and cover them with cold water. Then I bring the water to boil over high heat with the pot uncovered. AS SOON AS the water reaches a full boil, I turn off the burner, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and move it off the heat. I let the eggs sit in the hot water for exactly seven minutes. Then I immediately place the hot eggs into a bowl of ice water to cool them quickly. This method always gives me a fully cooked white, a creamy yolk, and an easy-to-peel egg! I love them!

I'm 54 and have never liked hard boiled eggs in the past either until recently.  But, as others here have posted, having them a bit under-cooked makes all the difference in the world!  I cook them like Saree maree and the yolk comes out with more texture than the over-cooked chalky ones.  I can eat them warm but like them much better cold.  And mayo helps!

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Hard boiled eggs should not smell at all -- those are overcooked eggs.

Medium boiled is my preference. Put eggs in cold water in a pan, they should be covered by a half inch. Bring to a boil and turn down heat immediately to cook at a gentle, not hard, boil and cook for 9 minutes. Meanwhile, get a large bowl of ice water ready. When 9 minutes are up, pour the hot water off and put the eggs into the ice bath for several minutes.

I also routinely take them out at 8 minutes for a slightly softer yolk and eat that over veggies. 

I love mine topped with guacamole, homemade mayo (SO EASY with a hand/stick/wand blender), hot sauce.

Archived