CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Hey team

I have been absent a bit but still doing well with this round... W30 is more important because my exercise routine has crashed and burned.  I have a back, hip and butt issue (think it may be Piriformis Syndrome - now that sounds like a hypochondriac).  As such, I am off any exercise for a bit and this makes nutrition that much more important.  I am doing well with the eating, meal planning and preparation.  After doing more than a few W30's, I think I have found the sweet spot (pun intended) between routine to make it easy and introducing new meals to keep it interesting.

As week 3's end is quickly approaching... Great job to all that are making good progress with this W30!!!

Cheers

Dj

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got all the food I needed yesterday at Wegman's so Today is my day 1. I am also giving up diet soda at the same time & so far so good! I don't like eggs very much & am kind of a picky eater so am worried about getting bored w/ what it is allowed to eat. Hopefully I can make it through! I Have PCOS & insulin resistance so I really should be eating as clean as possible to begin with. My mom told me yesterday I wouldn't make it but I want to prove her wrong! She is never supportive for any diet/eating healthy plan I do though so it can be hard for me at times.  

Anyone need a Whole30 Diet buddy? I think it would help me A LOT. Contact me if interested!

Welcome katesmith.  Everybody on this forum IS your "diet buddy" !   Stay tuned, check in frequently and prove mom wrong !!!   :) If you have PCOS and insulin resistance you're taking a huge step in the right direction with Whole30.

Day 19 - 

I am happy to report after cutting out only nuts and avocados my stomach is finally feeling better after a week of issues! I'm going to finish out my Whole30 without any avocados or nuts then try to reintroduce and see if I have problem with them, or it was just my body adjusting. I slept terrific this weekend and had a lot of energy, until last night, Monday, and I slept terrible! I had leg cramps and I was just uncomfortable all night, plus my dog decided to wake me up at 2am barking nonstop at the rain. I'm thinking I didn't have enough water and/or salt. It is much harder for me to remember to drink as much water on the weekends when I don't have the break-room stocked with La Croix to visit.

Since avocado is out, I added some coconut cream (from the can) to my coffee the last few days. Tastes fine, though I don't mind black coffee, but I think it helps keep me satisfied until lunch without a handful of mixed nuts (also always stocked in the break-room - next to all the bulk candy! I have to just close my eyes and focus on the La Croix!!!) 

I pretty much repeated week 1's meal plan for week 2 so this week I am changing it up a bit and removing stuffed peppers, chicken soup, chili and chicken salad from out usual week night plan. 

Dinners all week: 

Monday - Tacos (ground beef, onion, bell pepper, seasoning, and salsa from Whole30 book all wrapped up in butter lettuce)

Tuesday - Leftover meatballs/sausage with spiraled zucchini and broccoli 

Wednesday - Grilled chicken, leftover homemade sauce, spaghetti squash, green beans

Thursday - grilled chicken apple sausage, grilled zucchini, cooked carrots w/ ghee 

Friday - "The Perfect Burger" from Whole30 cookbook (love these!!), Brussels sprouts, sweet potato (and hopefully some bacon :)

I got all the food I needed yesterday at Wegman's so Today is my day 1. I am also giving up diet soda at the same time & so far so good! I don't like eggs very much & am kind of a picky eater so am worried about getting bored w/ what it is allowed to eat. Hopefully I can make it through! I Have PCOS & insulin resistance so I really should be eating as clean as possible to begin with. My mom told me yesterday I wouldn't make it but I want to prove her wrong! She is never supportive for any diet/eating healthy plan I do though so it can be hard for me at times.  

Anyone need a Whole30 Diet buddy? I think it would help me A LOT. Contact me if interested!

Welcome Kate :) I found giving up diet soda hard at first, but I feel *so*much healthier without it. La Croix is a compliant fizzy drink.

A lot of people with PCOS find this program very helpful :D I think your mom is totally wrong and that YOU CAN DO THIS!

Feeling good, this time around I am finding that I am enjoying my food a lot more than the first two times I did the Whole30.

I eat only three meals a day where before I found that I might have to have a snack.

I can not believe how well I feel.

I think you might have a better balance to your meals this time around :D NSV!

I slept terrific this weekend and had a lot of energy, until last night, Monday, and I slept terrible! I had leg cramps and I was just uncomfortable all night, plus my dog decided to wake me up at 2am barking nonstop at the rain. I'm thinking I didn't have enough water and/or salt. It is much harder for me to remember to drink as much water on the weekends when I don't have the break-room stocked with La Croix to visit.

Avocados also contain potassium, so you may want to add a banana somewhere in the next couple of days. Leg cramps are usually a lack of magnesium, potassium or salt. I like hot sauces like Frank's Red Hot for a bit of a salt boost sometimes :)

Wow! Day 19 is flying by, and it is feeling so good -- I have really gotten back into my gym routine, and I am sure that is helping pull me through a lot of stress and get past the depression I found I was heading into in November. It must be tiger blood - I'm dealing with deadlines, and keeping things rocking along pretty well!  

I had a hilarious gym fail this morning - forgot to change arms doing single-arm kettlebell overhead press walking lunges, so had to do twice as many to even things out. I did not forget to change arms the next set, that's certain!  I was puffing for a bit there, but got through all the reps of all the sets, plus rowing intervals and I actually did the stretching at the end. I'm usually running late by the time stretching comes along, but NOT today. All was good, and the time was worth it. And I find, like some other people in the group, that I am not getting very sore. After a couple of months of sheer indolence, that is a wonderful surprise. 

Enjoy, everyone -- and welcome to newcomers! You can prove them all wrong, feel great, and come out the other side. Not all the days feel amazing, but you'll get there!

Day 19 here. So, two things. I followed the meal template fairly well for the first week and got tiger blood on days 9-10. Then it went away and I've been feeling okay since. Not great, but not as bad as I used to. Also, I typically don't have acne, but it has flared up on my face and back in the past week (coinciding with the loss of tiger blood). I've been eating W30 approved foods, but to be honest I have not been following the meal template like I should. For example, a day might look like:

M1: sausage patty and a sweet potato with ghee

M2: hamburger on a bed of lettuce, an orange, and a big dollop of almond butter with celery

M3: large handful of cashews and a sweet potato (I love sweet potatoes, and need good carbs after my workouts. But they turn into food without brakes. Working up the courage to stop eating them)

M4: W30 soup (including protein and veggies) and green beans with ghee.

I am fairly active, but I do struggle with snacking and eating to many nuts. Thus I've probably been eating too much (if not too much, then I've been pushing veggies off my plate for "yummier" things like sweet potatoes and nuts), and most days I have nuts several times a day. 

Here's my question: is my loss of tiger blood and acne likely the consequences of eating too many nuts and eating unbalanced meals? 

Day 17 done.  Loving this W30 plan!  Made the pot roast recipe from W30 book today and it was delicious!!!  And I can't believe I never had GHEE before this plan!  I absolutely love it, and plan to permanently replace butter with ghee.  One more thing I noticed today... I'm not even thinking about wine and cheese anymore... that sure is nice :)

Day 19 here. So, two things. I followed the meal template fairly well for the first week and got tiger blood on days 9-10. Then it went away and I've been feeling okay since. Not great, but not as bad as I used to. Also, I typically don't have acne, but it has flared up on my face and back in the past week (coinciding with the loss of tiger blood).

I've actually been having acne flare up as well - and I usually have a very clear complexion - figured it was just caused by some hormonal changes in my body + very cold weather outside which can make my skin irritated. That or either the fact that my body has to get used to the increased fat intake?

I'm not eating a lot of nuts though (fats are usually either ghee, avocado, home made mayo or coconut) and have been following the template for almost every meal (think 1-2 exceptions so far). It has gotten better last two days by applying facial masks and day crème for dry skin.

Day 17 done.  Loving this W30 plan!  Made the pot roast recipe from W30 book today and it was delicious!!!  And I can't believe I never had GHEE before this plan!  I absolutely love it, and plan to permanently replace butter with ghee.  One more thing I noticed today... I'm not even thinking about wine and cheese anymore... that sure is nice :)

I know right! Ghee and coconut butter! Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Still thinking about wine though - was offered a glass of champagne yesterday and it still stung to say no. Couldn't care less about cheese any more :-) for sure a NSV. Also, yesterday my mother in law said I was glowing with health, so that's one step in the right direction.

Still don't get the feeling that my clothes fit better though.

Day 19 here. So, two things. I followed the meal template fairly well for the first week and got tiger blood on days 9-10. Then it went away and I've been feeling okay since. Not great, but not as bad as I used to. Also, I typically don't have acne, but it has flared up on my face and back in the past week (coinciding with the loss of tiger blood). I've been eating W30 approved foods, but to be honest I have not been following the meal template like I should. For example, a day might look like:

M1: sausage patty and a sweet potato with ghee

M2: hamburger on a bed of lettuce, an orange, and a big dollop of almond butter with celery

M3: large handful of cashews and a sweet potato (I love sweet potatoes, and need good carbs after my workouts. But they turn into food without brakes. Working up the courage to stop eating them)

M4: W30 soup (including protein and veggies) and green beans with ghee.

I am fairly active, but I do struggle with snacking and eating to many nuts. Thus I've probably been eating too much (if not too much, then I've been pushing veggies off my plate for "yummier" things like sweet potatoes and nuts), and most days I have nuts several times a day. 

Here's my question: is my loss of tiger blood and acne likely the consequences of eating too many nuts and eating unbalanced meals? 

Praxis has responded to your query on the nuts/acne issue, but I'd just comment that if this is your postWO meal then you are seriously short changing yourself.

PostWO you should be eating protein. Nuts are a fat and fat will slow down the absorption of any nutrients to your muscle preventing recovery & repair. Stick with the sweet potato (bring a limited amount in a container), but ditch the nuts in favour of a lean protein - your body will thank you for it!

Nuts can be a real problem for some people and they often go hand in hand with unbalanced meals.

If you get back on the template and it settles down, might not be the nuts.

Hmm, okay. I'm going to focus my last ten days on hitting the mark with the meal template, and will limit myself to one serving of nuts/day. If the acne doesn't clear up I'll try abandoning them altogether. Thanks!

PostWO you should be eating protein. Nuts are a fat and fat will slow down the absorption of any nutrients to your muscle preventing recovery & repair. Stick with the sweet potato (bring a limited amount in a container), but ditch the nuts in favour of a lean protein - your body will thank you for it!

Typically I do eat protein postW/O, but often it's protein plus fat and carbs (just another meal). Again, I'm going to get after myself and follow that template! I want to see just how amazing I really can feel in these last ten days (woo-hoo!!!), but that's not gonna happen if I am careless. Thanks for the advice!

Just a quick post before work….Day 20 !  Oddly feeling sad the days are going by so fast.  I'm not SO excited for my Whole30 to "end".  I imagine keeping most of these dietary rules in force even after Day30...

SO…latest NSV- I caught a cold ( a bad one has been going around) but it has been really mild and is almost completely gone after only 3 days .  Everyone else I know who got this was down for at least a week. Here's to a rockin' immune system !  

Just a quick post before work….Day 20 !  Oddly feeling sad the days are going by so fast.  I'm not SO excited for my Whole30 to "end".  I imagine keeping most of these dietary rules in force even after Day30...

SO…latest NSV- I caught a cold ( a bad one has been going around) but it has been really mild and is almost completely gone after only 3 days .  Everyone else I know who got this was down for at least a week. Here's to a rockin' immune system !  

I agree with being sad it's going so fast.

I plan to stay the path and shoot for a whole 90 or 100. But 30 days it's easy to just tell people "I can't I'm doing whole30". After the 30 days is up there's excuse to fall back on!

Happy day 20! We're two thirds of the way there, y'all!

I'm not sure if I'm sad about it going by so quickly, but I definitely hear the concern about not being able to use the "It's just 30 days" line against temptations. I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I'm going to keep this going. After I did my first one, I didn't really have any issues eating W30-style for the majority of the time and only going off plan for things that were worth it. But after a few false starts and even my last one, it's been harder to find that balance again. I'm definitely going to keep up the meal-planning/cook-up process that I've been doing and hopefully the ease of eating on plan will keep us going. I've spent much more of this one thinking about why I'm doing it, so I'm hoping that will also keep me on track. 

I've been wanting to add exercise back into the mix, so yesterday I finally did an easy indoor bike ride followed by a short TRX workout. I haven't done anything resembling strength training in FOREVER, so I was expecting a lot of soreness today, but it hasn't been too bad. But even if the muscle soreness is worse tomorrow (which sometimes happens), I'm still happy that I had the energy and wherewithal to do the workout. My goal is to at least get 20-30 minutes of something in every day for the rest of the 30 days and then come up with a more structured exercise focus next month. (It felt too overwhelming to overhaul both diet and exercise at the beginning of the month, so W30 got the focus this month.) 

Hope everyone is doing well!

Day 20 and I'm finally feeling the tiger blood after going to the Dr. and getting some antibiotics for (what turned out to be) a full blow sinus infection.  I've been doubling up on kombucha and sauerkraut to help with my gut, but it's amazing what antibiotics can for you when you actually need them.  

My sleep has been wonderful, I'm falling asleep earlier and easier and waking up has become a non issue.  For a while there before/after Christmas I was hitting the snooze button multiple times before getting up, and now it's just once if at all.  Definitely a NSV.  

Moving forward, I want to focus on getting more activity into my daily routine with some short HITT type bodyweight work outs and lots of dog walking. 

I am on day nine of reset. I am having a hard time sleeping through the night and then being tired all day which makes me want to eat more for energy..But I am hanging in there.

Having some of my kids over tomorrow night and making meatballs and spagetti squash.  Going to make enough to last through the weekend because we are expecting a big storm. I always worry that we will lose power. 

so that is my update. 

at the beginning of every day I use a post it note and write day one, day two, day three, etc,  and put it on the wardrobe in my office. It reminds me I have made a committment. I don't know why but this works for me, and it is nice to see the little yellow squares adding up. Just thought I would share that. I saw it on Instagram and it stuck with me. Sometimes I make little cartoon drawings on them like a skyline when I went into the city, or small stick figures when I baby sat for my grandchildren. don't laugh! it works for me :-)

Wow - day 20 coming to a close. I'm just finishing a very late dinner - had to make a presentation at a 6-8 pm event, and all they had there were almonds (already had some nuts today, did not want more) and cookies (no. just no.) So I'm just finishing a mashup of zucchini-ginger soup with tuna in it (really works) and a lovely salad with lots of olives. Even though it's late, it's yummy.

Have to say I'm really enjoying the tigerish feelings!

I have a meeting at work tomorrow where breakfast will be served -scrambled eggs, waffles, fruit...I thought I could have the scrambled eggs and when I talked to the manager prepping the food, she did too. I asked if she would put milk in the scrambled eggs and she said no since she uses pasteurized eggs in a bag. We went to look at the eggs only to discover that it's an "egg mix" containing whey, milk solids, some kind of wheat something, sugar....cannot understand this! So very glad I asked. Never would have thought scrambled eggs could be so much more than eggs

Day 20 and everything is going great.  (except for the snow and ice)  Was tired all day, but manged to push through.  After lunch it was all I could do to keep my eyes open.  Might have drifted off for a few minutes but i'm not sure.  This happens often, anyone else have this problem?  I work at home, so its pretty easy for me to give into a 15-30 minute power nap from time to time. (always after lunch)

Yesterday I made the best almond butter to date.  I roasted 3C raw almonds @ 325 for 10-12 minutes.  Let them cool for a while.  Tossed them in my food processor and let it go to work.  You have to scrape the sides down 4-6 times but eventually the magic happens and the almond meal turns to butter.  At that point I add 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/4 cup raisins.  Process for another minute or two.  Transfer to a glass container and then try with all my might not to get a spoonful every time I enter the kitchen.

M1  Applegate compliant sausage  X 2

3 Scrambled Eggs

Left over steamed carrots and broccoli

Black Coffee

M2  Sir Fry - Left over Tri Tip, broccoli, carrots, onion, coconut aminos.

2 Tbsp homemade almond butter

LA Croix Coconut Water

M3  Chili Rellenos cooked in my small cast iron skillet.  I dang near ate the whole thing.  It was delicious.

2 Tbsp almond butter

Black Coffee

Happy Eating!

I know right! Ghee and coconut butter! Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Still thinking about wine though - was offered a glass of champagne yesterday and it still stung to say no. Couldn't care less about cheese any more :-) for sure a NSV. Also, yesterday my mother in law said I was glowing with health, so that's one step in the right direction.

Still don't get the feeling that my clothes fit better though.

I haven't had coconut butter... not even sure where to get that??? So I have also had people comment on my skin, and then I read about how good ghee is for your skin... must be that cuz I eat it every day.  I've done pretty well with the no alcohol, surprisingly well actually, but a real challenge will be this Friday night when there's a surprise bday party for my step-daughter... Sushi and lots of drinking!!!  I will bring my Pelligrino and limes, and something I can eat (don't like sushi without the rice etc) ^_^  I feel like my clothes are getting a little looser, maybe.  My best friend said I look "leaner" so that's nice, but I do need to drop 30 lbs over the next year or so... I'm certain I will only lose 8-10 lbs on this W30, and YES I know this isn't about weight loss but a little drop would be nice!

So I'm just finishing a mashup of zucchini-ginger soup with tuna in it (really works) and a lovely salad with lots of olives. Even though it's late, it's yummy.

Is that the Silky Gingered Soup? I've never tried it with tuna and that sounds awesome! :D

Day 20 and everything is going great.  (except for the snow and ice)  Was tired all day, but manged to push through.  After lunch it was all I could do to keep my eyes open.  Might have drifted off for a few minutes but i'm not sure.  This happens often, anyone else have this problem? 

You might need some extra starchy veg in there, sounds a bit like you're running on empty, "fuel" wise. Getting enough sleep?

I haven't had coconut butter... not even sure where to get that???

This one is my favourite (Artisana brand) http://www.artisanaorganics.com/coconut/coconut-butter/

They seem to process it a little differently, it's silky smooth with no lumps or bumps. It's quite expensive but I also find it lasts for ages (if I don't eat it out of the jar lol). Always check the ingredients, some producers "water" it down with something cheaper. If you want to try it without buying a whole jar, sometimes you can get it in little packets http://www.artisanaorganics.com/squeeze-packs/ check the ingredients as some brands add sweeteners or fillers to the little packets.

Well Day 20 is a wrap and starting Day 21. I cannot believe how fast it is going by. I have been very tired lately,  not sure why. I had a late night meeting last night and when I got home I was exhausted. I sat on the couch to watch the news and before I knew it I was eating almonds, and eating more almonds, and eating more almonds! I realized that I was eating because I was tired and not because I was hungry. That was an interesting insight into my unhealthy eating habits. So, I have made a mental note to myself to be more aware of what I am doing and eating when I am tired. I have already decided to do another Whole 30 after I have complete this one. I do feel better when I am eating good food and not eating junk or fast food. 

Healthy eating everyone!

Good Morning Whole30ers!!!

My name is Mary. I am 34. Almost 35. I Started the Whole30 on January 13th. xxxxxx I started the week before by cutting out soda and knew that I had to do something more. And wanted more. So I bought the book. And I feel amazing. I went to the gym twice last week with a membership that I was just throwing money too. I feel amazing. I have more energy and I am happy to see where this will take me. 

I have PCOS and I would like to get it under conrol. I know that I can. I GOT THIS!

And in closing...I would like to tell everyone out there that the book is 100% right. It is not hard. There are harder things in life. Like losing both your parents and your brother before the age of 35. So yes it is not easy...but it is not hard. You can do this.  :)

Mary

Day 21.  Still can't fall asleep. I thought the Natural Calm was working…but doesn't seem to be. Everything else is going so well but the sleep deprivation is definitely not good.  I get to bed by 9:30 but "twirl"(restless legs and busy mind) till at least 11:30 or midnight…then the 06:00 alarm goes off and I'm deeply asleep. No fair.  :wacko:

This is the one thing wine has always done for me..help me fall asleep at night.  Interesting to see how "dependent" my physiology seems to be on alcohol.  Sigh. 

OK. Over with the whining.  It's a lovely steel-gray, blustery day out there and I'm off to my work commute.  Coffee with coconut milk and egg loaf for breakfast. Onward and upward !

Archived