Sugar Dragon Slayers

littleg

Alison ~ once again, not trying to push anyone in any particular direction.  But I want to throw this out there, for you to consider.

Keto + endurance sports seem to go really well together, for the people who have been determined to do it.  More-so than some other, more "glycogen-demanding" activities like high-volume weight training, and jujitsu (from what I have heard from Robb Wolf ~ who loves the benefits he gets from keto, but also loves Brazilian Jujitsu).  

Look up Ben Greenfield, if you are interested.  Maybe google him with "keto cycling" or something.  LOTS of good info out there from him.  

Again -- not saying this is what you should or should not do, just that it IS possible, and some people swear by it.

I listened to a podcast on Jimmy Moore's LLVLC.  Sara ~ or anyone out there ~ if you can track this down, for me, I will mail you five dollars.  Not kidding.   :lol:   I have tried and it is too frustrating.  He has SO many podcasts, and I don't remember these people's names.  It's been at some point in the past 1.5 years -- because I first read Jimmy's book in September 2014.

Anyway, they were an older couple.   I believe the man was a doctor of some sort.  In their 70's, I think.  And they were avid cyclists.  They would go on these huge, day-long rides -- and the whole podcast was about how they do it keto-adapted now.  They stop at the places where others are getting their "gels", cookies, whatever.....  and they drink water.  Everyone around them is full of questions because, WHY ARE YOU NOT EATING?  Wait.........  HOW are you not eating?!

I absolutely loved this podcast.  They weren't selling anything, they didn't have a book, or products -- not even a website.  Nothing.  They were just sharing their story.  

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ali good for you on walking through the process for the tiramisu. Sounds like it was the right decision for you - notch a sugar dragon slayed on your belt! And yes I think steaming the cauliflower (2-3 minutes) gives it the texture of cooked rice. I'm planning to make fried rice (already steamed) with Chinese food fixings like egg and coconut aminos instead of soy. It won't be the same sushi if you don't put some seaweed (nori) in it, though.

Regarding fueling your running, I saw the post and the only tweak I would add (if not already mentioned) is that salmon is a really fatty fish for post-workout lean protein. I would stick with tuna or chicken breast. Just IMO. Curious how the carbs work out with dates vs. applesauce - let us know! And yes, macadamia are the highest in MUFA whereas walnuts are the highest in PUFA.

I was going to have tea and a square of my 85% dark chocolate with our movie tonight (it was already in my macros for Keto and everything, lol) - but here is where my "stop eating" signal kicked in. Crazy. That's a sugar dragon slayed for me.

Brewer please keep the info and experiences coming. I never would have known that you were anti-tracking until your most recent posts; I read about your spreadsheets of data and averages of FBG and thought all of that was something I NEEDED to do. Another week or so of MFP to reacquaint myself with the carb value of certain foods and combine eating with body signals might be all I need in terms of tools. It's amazing having your support as a resource; it's like having an in-house researcher on our team!

P.S. I totally have to post the video of the 3-foot flames at our Korean BBQ tonight!

Whew! 14 miles down. Ate a huge breakfast this morning at 6:30, and then 2 hard-boiled eggs with a huge gob of mayo (1/4 cup or so if I had to guess) pre-WO at 9:30. Cold and rainy so I ran on the treadmill. Watched Harry Potter movies on my iPad the whole time. Brought 2 medjool dates with me, but didn't get hungry. Imagine that. :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Grr... I hate when it takes me 15 minutes to post and I get timed out from editing.  Here is the the text that went with that picture :)

Went up north yesterday.  ~ 8 miles, 3000 vertical, took us just under 4 hrs RT.  Fueled by: coconut milk coffee, lard, brussel sprouts, short ribs, 3 HB eggs with mayo, 3 string cheeses.  Ate breakfast before we left ~ 8ish, ate the HB eggs and cheese on the hike at about 2:30.  Felt harder than normal but that was also due to having not hiked much in 2 months.  AND THEN... usually a long hard hike for me is a free ticket to eat whatever... I always intend to keep it under control... but never do.  I'm also usually starving.  We finished yesterday around 4ish.  I ate ~3/4 cup roasted potatoes that I had brought with me.  Showered and still not hungry.  Still no urges for ice cream, pretzels, etc.  I went back and forth about enjoying some wine by the fire... I wanted to and yet I didn't want to feel bad this morning... We bought a bottle and hubs promised he would not drive me to the local ice cream place once dinner was over :)  We ordered Mt Marcy burgers (8 oz burger, VT raw cheddar, bacon), I had mine on some lettuce with mayo I brought from home.  We enjoyed this in front of the fire at the B&B we stayed at.  I decided to have one small glass of wine - maybe 2-3 oz.  Finished that and didn't feel binge-y.  Poured another glass and had half before dumping it.  And then... I was full.  And I didn't want any more to eat... I wasn't lusting after the fries on hubs' plate and I was scheming how to get to the ice cream place 8 miles away :)  Honestly, that may be a first.

I was afraid of feeling really hungry today since I don't think I ate quite enough yesterday for such a hard hike, but I felt ok in the morning.  Ate the B&B prepared scrambled eggs (milk and cheese - hopefully they were real eggs at least!) and 2 strawberries with a small scoop of coconut milk (brought that too - never leave home without full fat coconut milk and homemade mayo!).  Had a very small lunch around 1 in the car (burger patty, mayo that we brought with us) and now am finishing a second lunch (salad, orange pepper, sausage patty, mayo, few samples of cheese from the co-op).  These last few days have been going well - upping the fat and protein, saving the carbs for evening to help me sleep.  Got on the scale randomly yesterday AM.  Down 8 lbs from the start of all this - but I think that was an artificially low weight - but I may be down a legit 4-5 :)

Ali - 14 miles on a dreadmill... bless you... I could not do that.  And way to be fueled by fat!  And good job on the tiramisu... I'm sure your run went better for you today because of that decision.  I still think that salt is super important for long distance races - whatever you decide about fat/CHO as fuel - start tinkering with a way to get some salt in while you are running :)

Lauren - yeah satiety signals!

Sara - if I press the back arrow to see what you posted on page 11 I'll lose this whole darn post - but I'm sure you said something important too :)

Brewer - our wise one :)

Lauren - great job eating just a few bites of the pumpkin custard. Realizing that something is "not worth it" - a great skill to develop! It sounds like (from this and a few other things you mentioned) you are starting to recognize some signals you weren't as aware of before. Way cool.

Ali - good job on the tiramasu decision. That flow chart is a good tool. I am amazed that you did your whole 14 miles on the treadmill. That's impressive! 

Laura - goregous photo from your hike. It was a long one, too. How cool is it that you didn't go overboard on food or wine afterward? 

Brewer - I'll see if I can find that podcast (no payment necessary if I do :) ) - it seems like I heard a reference to that story this past week on a podcast I listened to. Was it the Dr. Ron Rosedale one? Maybe if we knew the couple's name, it would be easier to find the podcast.

I wanted to tell y'all that I tried a NorCal Margarita last night with my husband. He added a packet of stevia to his. It was pretty good. I found myself kind of wanting a second one, but I have already decided that one is all I will have, so I did not have a second. I haven't noticed any increased cravings or any other ill effects thus far. Will keep you posted. 

Went up north yesterday.  ~ 8 miles, 3000 vertical, took us just under 4 hrs RT.  Fueled by: coconut milk coffee, lard, brussel sprouts, short ribs, 3 HB eggs with mayo, 3 string cheeses.  Ate breakfast before we left ~ 8ish, ate the HB eggs and cheese on the hike at about 2:30.  Felt harder than normal but that was also due to having not hiked much in 2 months.  AND THEN... usually a long hard hike for me is a free ticket to eat whatever... I always intend to keep it under control... but never do.  I'm also usually starving.  We finished yesterday around 4ish.  I ate ~3/4 cup roasted potatoes that I had brought with me.  Showered and still not hungry.  Still no urges for ice cream, pretzels, etc.  I went back and forth about enjoying some wine by the fire... I wanted to and yet I didn't want to feel bad this morning... We bought a bottle and hubs promised he would not drive me to the local ice cream place once dinner was over :)  We ordered Mt Marcy burgers (8 oz burger, VT raw cheddar, bacon), I had mine on some lettuce with mayo I brought from home.  We enjoyed this in front of the fire at the B&B we stayed at.  I decided to have one small glass of wine - maybe 2-3 oz.  Finished that and didn't feel binge-y.  Poured another glass and had half before dumping it.  And then... I was full.  And I didn't want any more to eat... I wasn't lusting after the fries on hubs' plate and I was scheming how to get to the ice cream place 8 miles away :)  Honestly, that may be a first.

I was afraid of feeling really hungry today since I don't think I ate quite enough yesterday for such a hard hike, but I felt ok in the morning.  Ate the B&B prepared scrambled eggs (milk and cheese - hopefully they were real eggs at least!) and 2 strawberries with a small scoop of coconut milk (brought that too - never leave home without full fat coconut milk and homemade mayo!).  Had a very small lunch around 1 in the car (burger patty, mayo that we brought with us) and now am finishing a second lunch (salad, orange pepper, sausage patty, mayo, few samples of cheese from the co-op).  These last few days have been going well - upping the fat and protein, saving the carbs for evening to help me sleep.  Got on the scale randomly yesterday AM.  Down 8 lbs from the start of all this - but I think that was an artificially low weight - but I may be down a legit 4-5 :)

Ali - 14 miles on a dreadmill... bless you... I could not do that.  And way to be fueled by fat!  And good job on the tiramisu... I'm sure your run went better for you today because of that decision.  I still think that salt is super important for long distance races - whatever you decide about fat/CHO as fuel - start tinkering with a way to get some salt in while you are running :)

Sounds like some yummy, healthy, delicious fuel for a hike!  What a great way to spend a day off of work! B&B sounds nice too!  A trip definitely shows how important planning and preparation are to continued progress on this plan. How is dairy treating you?  8 pounds is impressive!  Great job!  I thought about weighing myself first thing this morning but then got nervous so decided to avoid the scale.

Yes, the treadmill is usually SUPER boring!  I can do wet.  I can do cold.  I don't do cold and wet.  No sir!  So I was relegated to the indoors and on that thing for 2 1/2 hours.  Thank goodness for Amazon movies!  I'll have to tinker with salt in the future.  My legs are very very sore after these lengthy long runs--would salt decrease the soreness and cramping?  Usually they are done with the tired feeling by the following day, but the remainder of the day on my long runs I am wiped out!  I am still experimenting with foods and combinations during my long runs, but trying to manipulate one factor at a time so I can pinpoint exactly what works and what doesn't.  Today's change was not pre-emptively eating during my run, but waiting until I was hungry to run.  It just never happened. :)

Ali - good job on the tiramasu decision. That flow chart is a good tool. I am amazed that you did your whole 14 miles on the treadmill. That's impressive! 

Laura - goregous photo from your hike. It was a long one, too. How cool is it that you didn't go overboard on food or wine afterward? 

I wanted to tell y'all that I tried a NorCal Margarita last night with my husband. He added a packet of stevia to his. It was pretty good. I found myself kind of wanting a second one, but I have already decided that one is all I will have, so I did not have a second. I haven't noticed any increased cravings or any other ill effects thus far. Will keep you posted. 

That flowchart and the self reflection and introspection and mindfulness that I learned from the Whole 30 saved me from eating a dessert that I really did not even want earlier.  Thanks Whole 30!

Good for you for also listening to your body's signals telling you that one is enough, even though you think you may have wanted another margarita. :)

If you are cramping during the run then I definitely think you need salt.  In the Spartan races I've done when I go to jump over a wall my calves will cramp unless I really overdo it with the salt.  Hubs has noticed the same thing - his first Spartan Beast was without salt pills - he cramped terribly.  He has used salt pills in the last 5-6 that he has done and never had a problem again.  At the end of the day I guess it is an n=1 thing.  Try it, see if it helps :) 

A few things I have learned over the years:

You will always be sorer after long treadmill runs than the equivalent distance outside because you don't alter your stride much.  Changing the incline and pace on the TM can help with this a little.  

Magnesium is your friend.  Epsom salt baths, oral, whatever - try to get some.  

Cool water soaks.  NOT ice soaks.  If I can sit in a river/stream after a long/hard hike I can almost guarantee I'll feel fine the next day.  If they hose off the legs of million dollar thoroughbreds it must work :)

Lay on the ground with your legs up against the wall (so your butt is against the wall and you are at a 90 degree angle) for ~15 minutes.  A physical therapist told me this and I do think it works (drains fluids maybe?), especially with generalized swelling.  

Don't sit and do nothing.  Try really hard to get out and walk a bit in the evening after a fatiguing run.  I think its the same premise as the legs up in the air thing - just gets circulation to the muscles and "cleans" them a little.

Do you just eat ketogenically forever?  Or is it the kind of thing you can do for a few months, and then move away from?

You "can" do whatever you want.   :)

I have had two 30-day stretches of keto in the past.  

The first one was:  "I'll give this a try and see how long I can go before I feel like I 'need' carbs."  Somewhere around 4 weeks, I was triggered by mention of cheesecake on someone's workout log.....  And I convinced myself I "needed" cheesecake.  

^ I do NOT recommend going that route.  This turned into a cheesecake obsession that lasted way too long.  Eat cheesecake = want more cheesecake = cheesecake brain... you get the idea.

The second one was my Keto Whole 30, last February.  And as I posted before, I ended that one feeling on top of the world ~ I DID feel like I could stay keto forever and ever and ever.  Then my husband's grandpa died, we went on vacation and ate vacation food, and I did not get back to keto until November.

February through November, I was basically living by Kiefer's general idea of "carbs at night".  So... LCHF all day, and -- if I wanted carbs at night, I had them.  {shrug}

I began testing my fasting blood glucose and using my Ketonix again in November, because I really wanted to give keto a go again, and I knew that having to put those numbers on a spreadsheet would help me stay on track.  I think, in the beginning, using those tools was helpful to me... as a way to mentally make the switch from "carbs at night" to ... "Ummm, no.  Eat more fat."

I did not make a huge announcement about it to anyone, and I did not tell myself (or anyone) "I am doing this for X number of days."  I quietly shifted from what I had been doing, to what I wanted to do.  It was this way when I finally (for real for real) quit smoking, also.  I've been taking it one day at a time, just living my life, eating my food, and feeling really good.  I have had no reason to pursue another path, and every reason to continue down the one I am on.

I stopped doing any sort of monitoring right before Christmas, simply because:  Life got busy.  My husband was off work, we were having a drink at night, and you can't do Ketonix after alcohol.  I also know that tequila will give me a lower fasting blood glucose the next morning.  I just stopped monitoring at that point, and I haven't started again.  I really have no need to anymore.  It's not like there were any big and exciting changes going on with the numbers...  things were pretty steady, which is my goal.

Ali ~ 

Julie reminded me tonight about the website of Dr. Peter Attia.  I thought you may find this page especially interesting:

"So what did I learn?  Keto-adaptation made me far more metabolically flexible and efficient in the aerobic environment.  This seems particularly important for folks who compete in events longer than a few minutes (e.g., 10K, marathon, triathlon), but less so for folks doing short-burst activity."

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

^ Even if you have no interest in keto for running -- pure nerdery right here.  :)

Friends, I’m discouraged. 

I decided to weigh myself this morning since it has been 15 or so days since I last did.  I gained 2.5 pounds since I ended my Whole 30.  Was I having a good day when I previously weighed?  Is today a bad day for weighing?  I’m not sure.  I don’t feel bloated at all, and my GI tract is working normally (if you know what I mean.)  It’s so discouraging to see that higher number.  Then I decided to take other measurements, thinking that maybe the increased weight number is somehow retained fluid from eating gluten last night, but the measurements increased too!  The last time I took measurements was 9/15/15 (about 2 months before my December Whole 30.)  From those numbers my skinniest-waist circumference increased 1/2 inch, the circumference around my waist at my belly button stayed the exact same though, my hip circumference increased 1 entire inch, and my thigh circumference increased 1/2 inch.  :blink:  I suppose some of this increased weight could be muscle, since I am positive I am building muscle in my legs during my long runs.  I’m not doing strength in addition to my chronic cardio though, so I’m not so sure about that.  I guess I need some advice and encouragement, because I am feeling a little low this morning. :(

About my dairy and gluten reintro last night…

I got a chopped salad with no modifications.  The salad came with lots of veggies, olives, ham (which I’m sure had sugar as an ingredient—it was very good!), mozzarella cheese, and some creamy dressing (I didn’t ask what was in it, but I would guess dairy and sugar were introduced.)  I enjoyed the salad very much.  When there is a sprinkling of cheese on a salad I usually can’t tell that it’s even there, so I have no problem skipping the cheese on the salad.  I ate the entire salad and would have been just fine and full eating that, but I wanted a slice of pizza too.  So I had one.  We got the regular crust pizza with cheese and 4 meats.  It’s called the Mighty Meaty pizza—it’s my favorite pizza from anywhere, unless you count the piece of pizza that we ate in Naples, Italy during our Mediterranean cruise.  Naples is the birthplace of pizza and OMG it was amazing.  But back to the Mighty Meaty—it was very good.  I didn’t need to eat an entire slice and even thought to myself that I could stop eating and be full, but I wanted that whole piece, darnit!  This is where the foods-with-no-breaks comes in.  Sometimes when I eat off-plan I have the mentality that I need to eat as much as I want, even after the feeling of satiety, because I’m going back to Whole 30 the next day and I won’t eat this food anymore.  What kind of advice do you girls have on avoiding this mentality, because the only thing it does is make me get into trouble by enabling myself to eat more?  I stopped at one piece.  Immediately and I’m saying immediately after I was done eating the pizza I wanted to go get ice cream.  This is another Pavlovian response, because my husband and I used to get Cold Stone ice cream often after dinner.  I didn’t even mention this to my husband for fear that he may have been into it.  Haha.  I told myself that no, I had agreed that this 1 slice of pizza was my pre-meditated choice to eat and nothing else.  So yeaaa, there were definitely some immediate cravings induced by my pizza intake.  I don’t think the salad alone, even with the cheese and creamy dressing, would have evoked this same response.  I’m glad I had the pizza, and I’m glad I’m back to the Whole 30 way of life this morning.  I didn’t notice any changes in my ability to bloat or have poor sleep, so that’s good, but I was fairly dehydrated before bed last night.  It’s strange--I can salt my Whole 30 foods and not become dehydrated, but if I eat something off-plan that is salty, BOOM dehydration city!  Anyone else feel this way about salt and dehydration?

Ali - you ding-a-ling - why did you get on the scale this morning...?  After not eating any pro-inflammatory foods for almost 40 days you ate a bunch of them last night - and then decided to get on the scale this morning?  Not to mention a muscle damaging run yesterday (injured tissue swells...).  And it is the exact opposite point in your cycle - so you've got totally opposite hormones (theoretically) going on there too.  So perfect storm of why the weight from 15 days ago isn't comparable to today's.  Easier said than done, but stay off the scale for a week or so and then maybe try again.  NOT the day after a long run/eating out ;)

You said in the beginning of all this that you were at a bodyweight that was ok for you and you have posted numerous times about the "crazies" of your previous way eating... now you are SO MUCH better mentally, does it really matter if the gravitational pull on your body is up a smidgen?  My guess is no.  

Instead of thinking about that scale reading this morning think about your awesome 14 mile run, the cool new recipes you've got, the happy mental place you were at before going out to dinner last night... stuff like that.  

In terms of your other questions - I have no answers - it is the frustrating part for me too... sugar is sugar, when one is "addicted" to it abstinence might be the only way, forever.  Or else those awful feelings come.  Sigh.  Makes me sad too.  But your scale measurement doesn't make me sad - because you are so much more than that darn number :)

8BpKdJiMUiqpg49bzzCmgsxYo1_500.jpg

Oh, and that dehydration thing.  That is carbs I suspect, not salt.  1:4 ratio of glucose to water for glycogen storage - so when you store all those carbs a bunch of water gets pulled out of circulation and into the cells.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615908

Ali - you ding-a-ling - why did you get on the scale this morning...?  After not eating any pro-inflammatory foods for almost 40 days you ate a bunch of them last night - and then decided to get on the scale this morning?  Not to mention a muscle damaging run yesterday (injured tissue swells...).  And it is the exact opposite point in your cycle - so you've got totally opposite hormones (theoretically) going on there too.  So perfect storm of why the weight from 15 days ago isn't comparable to today's.  Easier said than done, but stay off the scale for a week or so and then maybe try again.  NOT the day after a long run/eating out ;)

You said in the beginning of all this that you were at a bodyweight that was ok for you and you have posted numerous times about the "crazies" of your previous way eating... now you are SO MUCH better mentally, does it really matter if the gravitational pull on your body is up a smidgen?  My guess is no.  

Instead of thinking about that scale reading this morning think about your awesome 14 mile run, the cool new recipes you've got, the happy mental place you were at before going out to dinner last night... stuff like that.  

In terms of your other questions - I have no answers - it is the frustrating part for me too... sugar is sugar, when one is "addicted" to it abstinence might be the only way, forever.  Or else those awful feelings come.  Sigh.  Makes me sad too.  But your scale measurement doesn't make me sad - because you are so much more than that darn number :)

8BpKdJiMUiqpg49bzzCmgsxYo1_500.jpg

Oh, and that dehydration thing.  That is carbs I suspect, not salt.  1:4 ratio of glucose to water for glycogen storage - so when you store all those carbs a bunch of water gets pulled out of circulation and into the cells.  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1615908

Ding-a-ling!  Ha!  That made me laugh out loud.  I needed that!  :lol:

Girl, I don't know.  Yesterday I thought about weighing myself then had anxiety beforehand so didn't.  Today I wanted to weigh myself and even told myself beforehand what my NSVs are, pumping myself up just in case the number wasn't ideal or expected.  That did help actually, but I still got discouraged.  I thought about the pizza the night beforehand but since I am not bloated this morning I thought it would be OK.  I did not, however, think about the aftermath of running 14 miles.  Muscle swelling, you say?  I have so much to learn!  I am still not getting my period (post 7 years of having a Merina IUD) but I get what you are saying about the 15-day thing.  Doh!  You are so funny!  And smart!  I really appreciate your help.  I feel better already.  You are right.  I am more than a number.  My husband tells me frequently to focus on the positive things in my life.  I don't know if it's a girl thing or just a ME thing, but if there is one bad thing in my life and 1000 good things, I focus on the 1 bad thing.  For a reason though--I want to make it better!  But you are absolutely right—I need to focus on the positive things.  My run, the NSVs, how great I am feeling, how in control I am, how wonderful my husband is, the fun cooking of Whole 30 recipes I get to do (as opposed to mixing flour and sugar and butter together to increase the obesity epidemic!)  You are so right.  Thank you.

And what is up with the picture you posted?!  Who in their right mind weighs themselves with jeans on??  Am I right?? ;) 

I just googled "scale beautiful post it note" and found that :)  

I don't know why we all focus on the negative... yesterday the thread did have a very positive vibe to it - but we've all posted the "ugh, I suck" posts... probably when 99% of other stuff was going well for us.  My husband always tells me that I'm crazy, but that since all women are crazy its ok :)

Hey Ali - so glad Laura's wise input helped you. As I read your first post, I was having very similar thoughts to what she said. Sometimes the scale and the measuring tape are NOT at all helpful. The freedom from the mind games that used to be a daily depressant is the thing I am appreciating most right now. I know you know what I mean, so maybe you can join me in hanging on to that very significant NSV?

Laura - your experience with endurance sports and the effects on the body is extensive! Even though I am no longer an endurance athlete, I like reading what you have to say about it all! You're funny, too. :) ("ding-a-ling")

Brewer - I posted the question on Facebook last night on Jimmy's Livin La Vida Low Carb page and the man himself replied! The cycling couple who ate ketogenically was featured in episode 885. Dr. Ken Peters and Peggy Holloway. I plan to listen to this podcast this week. 

I'm off to a busy day of serving at church and a meeting afterward. Grateful that the gal in charge of the meeting understands special food needs (she has MAJOR food intolerances) and orders gluten free, dairy free lunches for those of us who want them. :)

2 quick thoughts this morning ~

One: Ali, you could not have picked a worse morning to weigh and do measurements, and I am not even remotely kidding. The effect these foods have on our bodies is extensive. These things cause inflammation, and inflammation causes us to retain fluid. You can try to analyze it all day long, and the fact remains: None of these measurements should have even taken place, let alone have any sort of control over your emotions today. Also ~ be a smart gal and recognize that any -- and I do mean ANY -- non-Whole 30 cravings you have over the next few days, can be directly linked back to the food you enjoyed (?) last night.

You may not want to hear it, but I would also like to point out that the last post I saw with your stats put you at 5'3" and 115 pounds. I am 5'2" myself, and I think I can safely say that you don't have much "weight" to lose. I was 109 when we started Paleo and before I started lifting heavy -- and I had to put my scale away for awhile. You won't make much progress with building muscle (or really being healthy overall) as long as you are emotionally tied to that number.

Two: Sarah, you are a genius! :D facebook. For all of the hatred I have for facebook... Some good can come of it. Haha! PM me your address and I will get your Lincoln in the mail. Thank you!!!

(And I hope you will all listen to that podcast. I just thought it was so cool.)

Have a great day, ladies. :)

Holy moly, Jimmy Moore is one productive guy.  At least you all will have TONS of podcasts, etc to listen to while you walk 2016 miles this year!

He also does 3 separate podcasts.  So this is episode 885 of just his "Livin La Vida Low Carb" show.

This is his brain on ketones.   :lol:

OK ladies, did everyone get a chance to watch 'That Sugar Movie'  yet?  I want to discuss it!!  I am super motivated to not eat added sugar--I am pissed at sugar and the companies that make a profit off of our addictions!  Stupid Coca-Cola and Hershey's...

I am going to continue to eat whole fruit though, and I like the recommendation to limit it to 2-3 pieces a day.  I usually have 0-2 pieces of fruit a day, so feel that that is acceptable.

And I have some questions, like do you think the inclusion of fruit juice concentrate is considered added sugar?  The cinnamon applesauce I eat during my long runs includes juice concentrate for sweetener.  I'm not sure if I approve, or whether fruit juice in this small amount might be considered OK.  I am having a hard time figuring out what to eat during long runs without choking. :P

I love this question. I eat "sugar" in the form of occasional dried fruits, wine, occasional Paleo treats made with coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey, and fresh fruit. I try to watch my consumption of these things because My first W30 taught me that yes, I was more addicted to sugar than I realized. I have heard that sugar is sugar period but I have a hard time with all sugar being created equal and also the premise of the context we are eating it in does seem to matter. It is very individual so is there even a right answer?

I love this question. I eat "sugar" in the form of occasional dried fruits, wine, occasional Paleo treats made with coconut sugar, maple syrup, or honey, and fresh fruit. I try to watch my consumption of these things because My first W30 taught me that yes, I was more addicted to sugar than I realized. I have heard that sugar is sugar period but I have a hard time with all sugar being created equal and also the premise of the context we are eating it in does seem to matter. It is very individual so is there even a right answer?

The right answer is that we can put "sugar" in quotation marks all day long ~ but the body does not see it in quotation marks.  It sees sugar, and the reactions in the body take place accordingly.

Edited to come back to add one of my favorite quotes.  

Chapter 4 of Grain Brain is titled:  "Not a Fruitful Union":  This is Your Brain on Sugar (Natural or Not)"

"Evolutionarily, sugar was available to our ancestors as fruit for only a few months a year (at harvest time), or as honey, which was guarded by bees.  But in recent years, sugar has been added to nearly all processed foods, limiting consumer choice.  Nature made sugar hard to get; man made it easy."  --Dr. Robert Lustig Et Al.

Ali ~ 

Julie reminded me tonight about the website of Dr. Peter Attia.  I thought you may find this page especially interesting:

"So what did I learn?  Keto-adaptation made me far more metabolically flexible and efficient in the aerobic environment.  This seems particularly important for folks who compete in events longer than a few minutes (e.g., 10K, marathon, triathlon), but less so for folks doing short-burst activity."

http://eatingacademy.com/how-a-low-carb-diet-affected-my-athletic-performance

^ Even if you have no interest in keto for running -- pure nerdery right here.  :)

Thanks, Brewer. I read the link. Very interesting and relevant. Thought-provoking. I'm pondering a serious practice change. I've got a lot to think about.

As I am not a short-distance speed runner, I am not too concerned with fueling for anaerobic metabolism. It looks like glycogen is used primarily for these short bursts of very intense activity, whereas fat is utilized as more of a slow, sustained, lower intense fuel source. A marathon definitely qualifies as a slow, sustained, lower intensity run! No 26 mile sprints here!

I was really not considering ketosis at the outset of the start of this Whole 30 but am now. At least, I am considering low-carb. I like the idea of not having to eat during a workout, and if I could run a 4-5 hour race without eating that would be incredible. I had not realized until recently that I could eat low carb while doing as much cardio as I do. I am almost done reading 'Why we get fat' and it has me thinking that low carb is the healthiest way to eat. Even butternut squash and sweet potatoes are not optimal (dang it!) I feel that I learned a lot from the Whole 30, particularly how to eat real, whole, nutritious foods that make me feel good, happy, and healthy. I think I am ready to up my game though. I think I'm ready for low carb. I don't want to count carbs or measure foods on a scale or monitor ketone levels though. I have not been paying as close attention to the keto discussions since I was not interested until now, so I may go back and read some old posts. I guess I need basics and starting pointers, and resources (books, movies.) I specifically want to know which veggies and fruits to avoid or at least limit. Berries are ok?? Even though I had pizza last night, I know that is off and I'm ok with that. Gluten is the devil. No, sugar is the devil. Gluten is the devil's brother though. How does dairy fit into ketosis? So many questions. This is only the beginning! Excitement! :D

Archived