Are all olives created equal???

I love olives, all kinds, from gourmet to the canned ones that we stuck on our fingers as kids. OK maybe I still do that now and then. Anyway, I've been wondering lately if any are better or worse nutritionally. Pasteurized vs unpasteurized (many don't specify), water/vinegar packed (much more common) vs oil packed, green vs black... Is there an Olive Best Practice by Whole30 standards?

There's no nutritional difference between green & black (although stuffed green ones could tip that balance):

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/olives-difference-green-black/

In Australia we usually get them packed in brine :) We eat a lot of black Kalamata (aka greek) olives.

How your olives are treated/processed and the ingredients in the bottle are probably the biggest variables.

If the ingredients are compliant, your olives are compliant :)

• Moderators

What about pasteurized vs unpasteurized? Guess I'm over thinking this. Doing my third Whole30, eat by template most of the rest of the time, so I have it pretty dialed in. Maybe I don't need to obsess over which compliant olives are better for me

I think you're overthinking things. As long as the ingredients are compliant, choose the ones that taste best to you.

• Moderators

What about pasteurized vs unpasteurized? Guess I'm over thinking this. Doing my third Whole30, eat by template most of the rest of the time, so I have it pretty dialed in. Maybe I don't need to obsess over which compliant olives are better for me

It's quite common once you're dialed in to how your body likes to eat to start to look at smaller and more vivid details about the food you put in your body. Often we'll start choosing to research and eliminate additional preservatives and start looking at other best practices around what we choose to eat and that's fantastic!

Unfortunately when we start to dig deeper into these sorts of details, there isn't a lot of readily available information on this forum and a lot of the research onus is on you to find. We welcome you to ask questions and to share the info but apologize that sometimes for the finer details, we don't have a lot of answers.

As a new olive loving convert tho, I'm super interested in what you find so if you choose to continue to investigate, please share that here. While you do investigate, it's not necessary to 'obsess' over it. Eat what you are comfortable with and let the investigation be a journey, not a destination... that way you won't get tunnel vision about it... because if the ingredients are compliant, as far as the program goes, olives are olives are olives...

Does that make sense?

• Moderators

BLACK.  Like, really black.  Black black.   :lol:

I'm surprised kirkor has not posted a picture yet.

Next time my husband opens a can, I'll show you.

Yep... even the 'insides' of the sliced ones are the same color as the outsides... jet black. Kinda strange when you stop and think about it!

I think this is really only relevant in fermented foods where pasteurisation kills off the live cultures.

I spent my formative years in Greece so I'm a big fan of the Kalamatan olives - the green tend to be big & fleshy, and the 'black' (which are actually naturally more purple) tend to be a little more bitter - both are good.

Oh that makes sense, I couldn't figure out how they could be pasteurized or unpasteurized

All the ones here are just in brine, don't think anything can live in that, too salty ;) nothing alive in those

Some places here you can buy a big 2 or 4 litre giant glass jar/bottle thing full of them (kilos of olives). I always eye them as I love olives :D

But I dunno how you get the bottom ones out without making a mess and despite my olive-loving eyes, I think the smaller jars will be fresher

• Moderators

I wish I liked olives. It would be such an easy pre-workout fat (which I'm struggling with at the moment). 

So I said that for aaaages... the exact sentance 'I wish I loved olives'.  So here's what I did.  Everytime I was presented with olives, whether in a friend's lunch or out somewhere, I took a tiny bite... As I got used to the briney taste (because really, what else is there that has that intense flavor), I started trying different ones and noticing what was more or less palatable... green vs black, brine vs oil etc... They're an aquired taste and to aquire it, you have to start playing around with them... I SWEAR it works and while olives aren't my FAVORITE thing in the world, I sure do like them now... My faves are the green olives from Tassos (avail at Costco here) that are stuffed with either just garlic or garlic and a small slice of jalepeno... 

• Moderators

There was that one kind of olive that didn't make me gag that one time...will have to hunt down the name of them from my olive-loving friend and start there  ;)

Kalamata are generally less intense... and if you hide olives in food, that can help.  I used to buy the cans of sliced olives and then wash the brine off and put them in things... that gets you used to the taste and texture a little more gently :)

I used to buy the cans of sliced olives and then wash the brine off and put them in things... that gets you used to the taste and texture a little more gently :)

And then pretty soon you'll just drink the brine out of the can! (well, at least a few sips anyway......  :ph34r: )

• Moderators

There was that one kind of olive that didn't make me gag that one time...will have to hunt down the name of them from my olive-loving friend and start there ;)

My one kind that I actually like are castelvetrano. I tolerate kalamatas in things, but really like the castelvetranos.

Yes, Shannon, Castelvetrano olives are the only kind I can eat. The only way I can describe them is rich and buttery. They are bright green and hard to find. I buy them at the olive bar at Wegmans. Sometimes you can get them already pitted, and sometimes not. I highly recommend seeking them out for folks who don't like olives but are open to trying one more kind.

Shannon and SpunkyBug, so glad you mentioned those because they're the ones my friend said I didn't hate! (She'd brought an olive tray to a gathering and basically kept putting single olives on my plate to try to figure out if there were any I didn't hate. She said I can get them at Wegmans or apparently they're the Lindsey brand "fresh ripe green olives".

Archived