no meat meal, sparkling water

Jtandi

I'm starting on Tues and have two questions (for now...by the end of the day it will probably be 10):

do you have to have meat at every meal? or could you have lunch of a nice salad with avacado, nuts, dressing? breakfast of apple slices, cashew nuts, etc?

I've seen La Croix is fine to drink, I am assuming this means all sparkling mineral water is ok (we have Crystal Geyser, just carbonated water and "natural essence of" lemon, lime, orange, etc.)

Welcome!

You need to have an appropriate serving of protein at every meal. For some folks, that means a big chunk of red meat. For others, it means eggs. I will say, though, that relying on nuts for your protein can lead to overconsumption, which can lead to digestion trouble, skin trouble and less satiety after a meal.

Crystal Geyser is good, too. We've got that brand at my local store (I think. Blue label?)

I am wondering *why* you want to not eat meat with every meal? taste? cost?

Like Robin says relying on nuts is a terrible idea. I personally think that nuts are WAAAAY too heavily abused for many on a Whole30. While a breakfast of fruit and nuts is compliant, it isn't a great breakfast. Eggs and 2 cups of cooked vegetables are going to go the distance for you while starting to break old habits and make new ones which fruit and nut crutches won't do.

My personal advice to anyone on a W30 is to limit fruit and nuts to once a day if you MUST have them and to never ever eat them alone or with just coconut milk on top.

Embrace the meat and green vegetables and you'll be well on your way to long term success.

• Moderators

Once you get used to eating a breakfast that includes a hearty portion of protein and some veggies, you may wish you had started the practice sooner. It may not be comfortable at first, but eating a really solid meal to start makes the whole day go better.

Thanks all for the answers, it's funny I'm not sure why I would not want to eat meat at a meal - it's not really the money or taste or anything like that, for some odd reason it seems like its just a lot of work (??) or something? I don't know. But I DO know I need a total revamp on my eating so meat every meal it is!

Thanks all for the answers, it's funny I'm not sure why I would not want to eat meat at a meal - it's not really the money or taste or anything like that, for some odd reason it seems like its just a lot of work (??) or something? I don't know. But I DO know I need a total revamp on my eating so meat every meal it is!

You are right about the work. Much easier to grab a handfull of nuts. Eating whole foods is so worth it. You'll get used to the cooking thing. :)

Tuna, sardines and kippers are a protein too. Open can, drain can, dump on aforementioned salad. :)

I always cook 3-4 extra portions of chicken and salmon, etc. plus 3-4 extra sweet potatoes.... I warm up the salmon/ chicken/ beef.... Sauté a bunch of veg with some avocado and cubes sweet potato to make a hash.... Top with protein and a runny fried egg...... This keeps me so satisfied that I really don't want another meal for 6 hours and sometimes eat because I need to.....

( leftover cooked to the point of shredding, brisket or flank steak..... Fried extra crispy in coconut oil then topped with veg and an egg is the best breakfast !!!!! Dinner too.... ). :)

I often do left overs for brekkie. I also like the breakfast casseroles that can be found at various Paleo/Primal websites. I love them because they are quick to grab--do take a bit of pre planning the night before-- and they have a portion of veg that goes for whatever meal they are going to be eaten at. I try to get at least 2 cups of veg per meal, usually a mix of raw and cooked--personal preference.

I am looking at starting another whole30 in January and I am not going to have nuts around. I will have a jar of sunflower seed butter for dressings, but I have discovered that I can take or leave nut butters, but the nuts themselves, bad juju. Especially those "M" nuts! They have been banished! WAY to tempting to have around.

thanks all for the great advice. in some ways I think it's almost my mind already trying to be defiant (WHY do I have to eat meat at EVERY MEAL?!) which is so totally stupid. seriously. I annoy myself.

but reading everyone else's posts I realize that it is also the ease of grab and go, which is a huge problem for me now. planning and preparing in the beginning is going to be key for me (first meal of the week will almost always be a whole chicken which I can then make broth from and use for the rest of the week in other meals)...AND I decided to spring for the pre-made paleo meals, so I have 10 of those. there are going to be days I know I don't want to cook and I can pull these out, I'm hoping my family likes them, too. I'm actually looking into becoming a local host if I like them enough so I can get some every month.

again, thanks all for the input. I am super impressed with this community and it's support!

Dont worry, you will find its not so hard as you think. You will automatically start cooking 5 steaks instead of 4 for a family of four (or 2 instead of one if you are single etc) and have the 5th one for breakfast or lunch the next day or day after, same for fish and chicken... make double batches of casseroles and mince dishes etc. I bake two large stuffed mushrooms and have the spare for breakfast or freeze too so it also applies to veg!

Archived