RX Bars

Meg1130

The brand RXBar has some compliant flavors and some that are not compliant. It depends on the flavor. Some of them have chocolate, so those are out. Read the label and make sure there are no noncompliant ingredients. I always read the label on anything I buy even if the brand is whole30 approved for this very reason! :)

Thanks Tarrantrl! I just realized some that I bought had chocolate in them so I gave them to my boyfriend to enjoy. Hoping to find some other alternative snacks for when I am at work because I don't want to be tempted by the crap food around me all day. Working in an office is really the worst for temptations!

• Moderators

@Meg1130 if you have a place to keep them, cans or pouches of tuna or salmon or chicken if you can find it, compliant jerky, olives, a bottle of olive oil and some vinegar are good to have around for emergency food, in case you work late or forget your lunch or something.

The best way to be able to resist tempting foods is to make sure you're eating enough so you're not hungry, and checking in with yourself when you see tempting foods around and figure out if you're really hungry. If you are hungry, eat real food. If you don't want real food, you're probably not actually hungry, so don't eat. Maybe keep some teas you like on hand so if you start feeling like you want something more exciting than water, you can fix yourself some tea.

Here are some alternative snacks I usually keep on hand at the office and for other emergency situations (I have a really gnarly sugar dragon so I avoid RxBars like the plague): 

• Chomps Snack Sticks 
  • Wild Zora Meat and Veggie Bars (most are compliant) 
  • Tuna pouches 
  • Bag of coconut flakes (fat
  • Snack packs of olives (Oloves is a brand that has compliant options)

Hopefully this gives you some other ideas that are perhaps a little more ideal that RxBars. Generally, the recommendation is to have more of a mini meal with protein and fat for a snack rather than something like an RxBar. 

I'm glad I checked here!

I was told all RX bars except for peanut ones and maple were compliant. 

However, the chocolate threw me off. Chocolate inherently has sugar in it, right? 

I have the blueberry and apple cinnamon one at home, but just picked up a bunch with chocolate (mint, hazelnut, coconut). I was still doubtful. 

I guess even if it was technically compliant, I would avoid it because chocolate is too much of a "dessert" for me and I'm trying to break that habit. 

@Meg1130 I was mistaken!

Someone linked Melissa's IG posts on the matter and she states that they are compliant - chocolate ones, at least.

But also, in the spirit of Whole 30, they are compliant but not even necessary.

I don't change my stance, I'll stick with blueberry and apple cinnamon because that's what works for me.

(also, if anyone wants to see the post, message me your IG handle and I can tag you in it.)

Onward, Whole30ers!

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, -Kara said:

Do you eat these with meals? Or Snacks? I thought that snacking was not allowed in Whole 30?  Did I miss something? 

Snacking is discouraged, not outlawed. If people are in highly active professions or have super-long days or are nursing/pregnant, we understand that they may need to eat between meals. RX Bars, while delicious, are a less than optimal choice if you have the option of picking between that and a more Whole-Food style thing like hard boiled eggs and mayo or chicken thigh and avocado. Some uses that we understand for RX Bars are as "emergency" in the bottom of your carry-on in case your flight is super-delayed. Or a long hike. Things like that. To just eat them as meal replacements or to quell sugar cravings - no, highly discouraged.

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 8:00 PM, Lokan_V said:

I'm glad I checked here!

I was told all RX bars except for peanut ones and maple were compliant. 

However, the chocolate threw me off. Chocolate inherently has sugar in it, right? 

I have the blueberry and apple cinnamon one at home, but just picked up a bunch with chocolate (mint, hazelnut, coconut). I was still doubtful. 

I guess even if it was technically compliant, I would avoid it because chocolate is too much of a "dessert" for me and I'm trying to break that habit. 

Chocolate (pure cacao) does not contain sugar.

And what's wrong with the Maple bars? They don't contain any added sweetener. The maple flavor comes from maple water.

Archived