January 1st Start Date!

becs

6 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I feel these little flickers of energy inside me, usually at times I’d normally feel exhausted - I just feel this little spark inside. 

This is awesome! It all starts with a little spark, right? I also love what you said about learning to listen to your body's signals. The thing is, it IS possible to know if you're eating too much without weighing or calorie counting, because your body WILL tell you. As you said, we just have to work on rewiring our brains so we can learn to listen.

I'm up early and looking forward to a sunrise run in 20 minutes. I have a few weird aches that I think are from running, so I'm going to do an easy run instead of my scheduled intervals. What I'm really looking forward to is the hot tub soak afterwards!

Eating plan today is sausage/egg/sweet potato casserole from www.paleomg.com, Madras chicken salad over spinach from NomNom Paleo, and pesto chicken meatballs/marinara over zucchini noodles from Well Fed Weeknights. Everything's already pre-made (except the zucchini), so it should be easy.

Happy Day 12! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

You feel full and satisfied? Then you MUST have cheated, you must have eaten too much, you must have had something you shouldn’t have. Traditional diets have a lot to answer for don’t they?

OMG - ALL of THIS to the MAX! The strict observance and judgement of everything that goes into or near our mouths. During this 4th W30, I notice I trust it more which may be why I am feeling more full? I don't have to overeat because I know that more goodness will come my way when I need it? But I have many decades of disordered eating that get in the way and are hard to undo - indeed, I hold the weightloss industry responsible - there has never been balance for me until Melissa came along and said - hmmm, what if we just ate food?

16 hours ago, christine19 said:

Sorry about the beach house, hope you find another and by the summer you can hopefully enjoy that wine as you relax by the water! 

The successful purchasers have backed out so we're back in the running! This is nerve wracking! Hold my wineglass!

I had to run out early this morning and get fresh vegetables again. Good-for-you food goes fast when there’s no junk food and snacks to fill up on!  Got some boneless chicken thighs to grill on our smoker - they are delicious hot or cold. I still have some turkey chili leftover from the weekend so maybe for dinner. I also have scallops and cod in the freezer, I will make that soon now that I’m not chewing my arm off. Fish doesn’t keep me full as much as other protein. :lol: I’m still a little cranky today but don’t want to “kill all the things” so feeling a little better and reading everyone’s posts is making me smile! 

4 hours ago, christine19 said:

I had to run out early this morning and get fresh vegetables again.

Hubs likes to point out that, with no wine or beer in the fridge, at least there's lots of room for all the veggies! :P

Dinner tonight is salmon and we had kippered herring as our protein for lunch so I guess this is fish day. We're both working big days with back to back meetings so we're not very active today. These are good days for fish because it doesn't fill me up and hold me either.

Veggie things I LOVE about doing a W30:

• endless oven fries of both kinds of potatoes - so good. 
  • fried onions. Oh how I love fried onions! And they are a veg!
  • buffalo 'wing' cauliflower - hubs has mastered this in the air fryer - egg wash coated in seasoned almond flour and avo oil in the AF - man oh man that's delicious
  • dump trays of veg in the oven - only wish I had some fresh thyme and/or rosemary to add to it. 
  • mayo-based dressing - I'm going to go make something right now.

Alright - day 12 is almost in the bag... looking forward to a quiet evening!

We had fish last night too, there’s a theme! We had salmon with stir fry veg and a tahini and lemon sauce. 

sprung out of bed this morning at 5.40, this isn’t always a welcome side effect of w30 for me. I feel like the quality of my sleep improves but the length of time I sleep for doesn’t. I don’t feel tired though, so must have slept enough. 

today it’s another busy day of working (from home). I forgot to get the meat out of the freezer for our dinner tonight, so may have to change my menu around. 

@Lorna from Canadayour buffalo cauli sounds good, could you share a recipe please- and yes  I am totally with you on the veggies! I love being ‘allowed’ chunky chips (fries) with meals after years of low carbs! I’m not very imaginative with veg though and I’m not good with dressings etc, I really should experiment more. 

14 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

endless oven fries of both kinds of potatoes - so good. 

Ok so I’ve been avoiding the 3 bags of “natural”  French fries in my freezer that I nearly forgot I can make my own! Thanks for that reminder! I have been eating sweet potatoes but woohoo I have 3 russet potatoes to make with cod tonight. So I’ll have fish and chips too!  @Rebecca001

I feel better today, I think I too was not eating enough carbs and had butternut squash soup yesterday and some red grapes (eating the wine!) is the tiger blood peering around the corner???? 

Plus I thought for a minute today was the 12th and now I’m excited that it’s the 13th! It’s almost Whole30 halftime! 

They are so much nicer if homemade as well. I do sweet potato with rosemary and garlic and bake them til they are almost overdone, they go all sticky and stodgy! 

I’m really craving ‘something’ today but I don’t even know what. Carbs probably. I feel quite restless and keep wandering into the kitchen. I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer for our dinner tonight too so I will have to improvise and I was really looking forward to my planned meal so the replacement better not disappoint. I had some minced lamb to make some koftas for lunches but I think I will make those for dinner tonight- I need a spicy kick! 

I second the request for the buffalo cauliflower recipe from @Lorna from Canada. I need to up my veg game, as well!

The Whole30 Day By Day book talks about turning challenges into opportunities. I'm nervous about my weekend in the mountains, mostly because I associate trips up to the cabin with drinking wine on the deck! The opportunity I see is to research and experiment with fun mocktails to replace my beloved wine. Perhaps a splash of juice in a glass of La Croix will make it feel special. Anyone have any favorite W30 mocktail recipes?

As requested - Buffalo wing cauli is super easy (I know this for a fact because Hubs makes it and he is no cook)

Cauliflower florets - I like them smallish - 2-3 cm/1 in in diameter approximately.

Drench thoroughly in beaten egg (nothing added)

Drench again in almond flour seasoned to taste with garlic, onion and chili powder. We have tried other gluten-free flour blends but almond flour is hands down the best for this

Spritz with avocado oil and get them into an air fryer. Depends on the AF but ours takes about 15-20 minutes at 400F

Dipping sauce:

Homemade mayo laced with compliant hot sauce, lemon juice and chopped cilantro to taste (my homemade mayo is just egg and oil - no acid so you ay ot need lemon juice)

That's it. 

Oh - and here's a photo to get you motivated (I, like I said, prefer the smaller florets at the back):

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-01 at 8.53.54 PM.jpeg

37 minutes ago, becs said:

I'm nervous about my weekend in the mountains, mostly because I associate trips up to the cabin with drinking wine on the deck!

Good luck with this Becs!. We have an Airstream parked in a winter campground and I associate our weekends with Friday night wine and cheese so I totally hear you on this one. We make do with tea - lots of pots of tea. :) 

41 minutes ago, becs said:

Perhaps a splash of juice in a glass of La Croix will make it feel special.

I find if I put a wedge of fresh lime in my seltzer it makes it feel like a cocktail! :D also, compliant Kombucha is allowed (with fruit juice but no added sugar) I had a little yesterday and it hit the spot! Good luck and enjoy a weekend away! 

• Moderators
On 1/11/2021 at 3:58 PM, Lorna from Canada said:

How you making out @SugarcubeOD? You're a bit behind us but doing okay? One might assume being a W30 staffer would make it easier but I am too smart for that.

Haha! I wish! Unfortunately there's no secret button for us that makes the entire journey easier... it does help to be on here helping other people but you don't have to be a 'staffer' to do that so... ;)

I'm doing okay! Coming off a habit of having something after dinner so that's a bit hard to break but if I ask myself if I'm actually hungry or just grieving the loss of that habit, the answer is pretty clear.

The one thing I LOVE about Whole30 which I always experience right away is the feeling of extra brain space that I get when I don't have to 'debate' food. There's no 'but I already ate a _____' or ' I deserve ____'.  If it's not Whole30, there's no argument and if it is Whole30 then again, no argument... it really does free up a lot of thought capacity for me!

• Moderators

Oh and I posted this on another thread for someone but thought that maybe it was a good reminder... sometimes I like looking at the list and seeing things I hadn't thought of - keeps the spirit up!

https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-nsv.pdf

Does anyone have any Non Scale victories that are not listed?

@Lorna from CanadaThat Buffalo cauliflower looks amazing! Now I need an air fryer!

Speaking of Buffalo sauce, I found this sriracha tahini dressing and surprise.... it unexpectedly tasted just like buffalo wings! I’ve used it as a dipping sauce or a drizzle on lettuce wraps with grilled chicken breasts or thighs, here’s a pic if you can find it in your grocery store. Says “Whole30” right on it! 

E62393AF-8AE5-4593-9EFB-712D1DF7D1E4.jpeg

So many things to check off already from that list!

I agree with @SugarcubeODthat strict rules makes everything so easy since there are no decisions to be made. I think I need to make my own list of rules after reintroduction and put them on my wall so I can have post-W30 rules.

Thanks for the recipe @Lorna from Canada! Now I need to hunt down some compliance hot sauce. Can't wait to give it a try.

My emergency stash of Lara Bars was singing its sweet siren song to me all afternoon, but I resisted. I did eat a small handful of almonds. I think I need to add more starchy veggies to my day. I've been very hungry the last few days! There's a bit of sweet potato in my breakfast casserole, but I don't think that's enough. Maybe I'll whip up a big batch of mashed sweet potatoes to eat with lunch in the future.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, becs said:

I've been very hungry the last few days! There's a bit of sweet potato in my breakfast casserole, but I don't think that's enough.

Make sure you're also not skimping on fat. Fat is what slows down the absorption of protein which in turn gives your meals longer staying power... not to say you may not need more starchy veg, just one other thing to consider :)

Lots to catch up on! I read your daytime posts with my morning coffee, I think I am a few hours ahead of you? The buffalo cauli do look amazing, I also need an air fryer so I will try them in a hot oven today! I make a spicy baked cauliflower using coconut cream, tandoori spice and an egg yolk, coat the cauli and bake, then when it’s cooked use a tbsp of coconut cream, some raisins or dried apricots , some flaked almonds, mix it in so it’s a bit like a ‘Coronation’ type sauce. It’s really nice in a baked potato, you can add shredded chicken to it as well. 

I am really surprised at the amount of products you have that are whole30 endorsed. We have nothing, just have to read the labels on everything. And here’s my question: in the book it says no commercially prepared treats (eg crisps/chips (as you call them!), or eg, we can get things like fruit bars that are dried fruit, nut and seeds all blended up into Raw bars) - they have only compliant ingredients but they aren’t allowed. But the forum talks a lot about Lara bars (I assume is a similar thing to the fruit/but bars) and there are lots of commercially prepared products (I get lots of emails from MU!) so where do you draw the line? Is it just these are allowed because they are W30 approved? Or is it because they are ‘foods’ not ‘treats’? But then in MU’s (daily!)  email about her salad dressings she certainly speaks about them as if they are a luxury treat! If I find eg. A dip/sauce that has only compliant ingredients, can I use it? I do use some commercially prepared products (eg mackerel in tomato sauce) but not many. 

what do you W30 veterans think? 

8 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

And here’s my question: in the book it says no commercially prepared treats (eg crisps/chips (as you call them!), or eg, we can get things like fruit bars that are dried fruit, nut and seeds all blended up into Raw bars) - they have only compliant ingredients but they aren’t allowed.

Good afternoon! These sound like Larabars to me so, they would be allowed. We don't have many W30 products in Canada either so I rely heavily on igredient checking. I've atually been known to eat a few chips on W30 which isn't allowed either but, when you're travelling and can't find a single compliant thing to eat in an airport, a bag of plain potato chips is the best. I think W30s perspective on chips and even Larabars etc is what is your intention behind snacking on these things? Are we replacing a daily chocolate bar habit with Larabars? And, if you're accustomeed to eating chips everyday with your soup and sandwich, is continuing to fill up on these low nutrient snacks really serving your W30 reset? This is a mindset exercise as much as anything else. W30 doesn't want anyone having a Larabar every afternoon at 2PM even if it is compliant.

DAY 14! A BUSY work day for me - back to back clients from 11 AM through to 8PM - why do I do this to myself??? No clients tomorrow though so I am going to spend the day planning my furnishings for my NEW BEACH HOUSE!!

WE GOT IT! We survived 2 bidding wars each with 3 offers - what a thing to endure! If you are super nosy like me or just into real estate (also me), here's the agent's youtube video - won't be up long now since it is SOLD!! TO US!!! YEAH!!!

Sad thing was we couldn't even celebrate with champagne :( - not gonna lie - tea doesn't quite cut it as a celebratory beverage!

Off to work - hope eveyone is having a great day 14! What are our plans for celebrating HUMP day tomorrow???

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I think W30s perspective on chips and even Larabars etc is what is your intention behind snacking on these things?

This is mostly true except for where commercially available chips come in.  Those are definitely a no go regardless of intention.  The Larabars and RX bars and the like definitely need to have some consideration taken before eating and are only recommended as emergency foods - stuck on the tarmac in an airplane for three hours before a four hour flight... 

14 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Make sure you're also not skimping on fat. Fat is what slows down the absorption of protein which in turn gives your meals longer staying power... not to say you may not need more starchy veg, just one other thing to consider :)

Thanks for the tip! After several Whole30s, I definitely have no problem with fat in my diet. I am eating generous servings of homemade mayo, avocado, and healthy oils. Heck, I even sneak in some clarified butter/coconut oil into my coffee on occasion.

Regarding Lara Bars and similar compliance treats, I just read an e-mail from Melissa this morning about whether or not you're "cheating" if you eat them every day. In a nutshell, her answer was no, it's not cheating if you're eating compliant foods. However, it's definitely not encouraged, and you should dig into why you feel the need to eat them every day. As for commercially prepared treats, I honestly don't remember that section in the book! I know you're not supposed to eat junk food made from technically compliant ingredients (like paleo pancakes), but the whole thing is a grey area - I would definitely consider Lara Bars more junk than not, but they are allowed. For me, if a commercially prepared food has compliant ingredients, I will eat it. I've even done a Whole30(ish) where I didn't care too much about the extra sugar in things like breakfast sausage or sriracha, and it was wildly successful. Of course, I don't have a Sugar Dragon. My Dragon only wants salty junk food!

@Lorna from CanadaYOUR BEACH HOUSE IS AMAZING!!! Congratulations! PEI sounds so romantic to me. Just the name takes me back to my cozy reading nook when I was 13 and obsessed with Anne of Green Gables. You can save the champagne celebration for your first visit (assuming that, like here, you have a 30-day escrow period), and enjoy it on that fabulous deck! The sunroom makes me swoon, too, along with everything else...

That’s really interesting, thanks all. Definitely food for thought! I haven’t had those raw bars (yet) they don’t really appeal to me, but was just wondering. I haven’t reintroduced sugar since my July whole30, literally I had 1 choc and a piece of cake at Xmas and that’s the only grain of sugar that’s passed my lips since 20th July. (Massive sugar dragon though, he is still lurking every day!) I was just wondering regarding the commercial products vs homemade because it surprised me that they make products and mention them when they don’t advise them. 
I read that email too @becs and I suppose as a lot of people are coming to the end of day 14 there will be others feeling the same as me: tired, work’s picking up, days are long and cold, and it’s nearly the 3rd alcohol free weekend! I think maybe I’m just feeling a bit melancholy 

I will continue reading labels though, maybe I will find a few more things that are compliant that I can use to liven up my menu a bit! My daughter and I were both home working today and for our lunch we made loads of chunky chips/fries, after the posts on here the other day, and dunked in homemade mayonnaise for a bit of comfort food on this dreary day. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, becs said:

As for commercially prepared treats, I honestly don't remember that section in the book!

1 hour ago, becs said:

(like paleo pancakes), but the whole thing is a grey area

Sorry, I might not have been clear :)  Commercially available chips and french fries are not allowed - see below. 

Also, paleo pancakes aren't grey... no recreating baked goods of any kind... 

There definitely are some grey areas around the Larabars and I agree that for the most part they're not an ideal item but in a pinch if they keep you from going through the drivethru because you got stuck in traffic then because they're whole compatible foods, they're in.  You can definitely decide not to include them in your Whole30 - I make that decision because I don't like to have that stuff in my house... too easy for night time munchies....

Chips or Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips or restaurant fries that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those fries or chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips and fries are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compatible ingredients. For that reason we do not allow commercially-prepared fries or chips, or deep-frying starchy veggies and turning them into fries or chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

Pancakes: No

Sometimes, we feel like if we have to have one more conversation about pancakes, we might explode. No, you can’t have pancakes. Yes, even if they’re just bananas and eggs. First, they are explicitly ruled out in the Whole30 program guidelines. This should be enough of a reason, but in case you’re still wondering why (they’re just bananas and eggs!)…

Pancakes in any form do not encourage success with the Whole30 program. Reaching your health goals depends on committing to both the rules and the spirit and intention of the program. The Whole30 is designed to change your relationship with food, first and foremost. And the psychological impact of eating pancakes as part of your healthy eating, life-changing plan cannot be ignored.

Eating eggs, a banana, and some olive oil is not the same as combining those ingredients into a pancake. There are studies that show that how your brain perceives the food influences satiation. This is often cited with liquid food (smoothies or shakes, as we reference in the back of It Starts With Food), but experientially we see this with whole foods as well, depending on how they are combined. Pancakes bring up a totally different psychological response than frying some eggs and eating a banana. And it’s that psychological response that we are trying to target with the program.

You may not have an affinity for pancakes, but we find that most people who complete our program do best without any of these comfort/trigger/reminiscent-of-the-SAD-stuff-you-used-to-eat foods. So, because we need to create one program that applies to as many people as possible, we rule these Paleo recreations out. In our vast experience, this sets everyone up for the best Whole30success possible. And, of course, what you choose to do after your 30 days are up is entirely up to you.

Archived