January 1st Start Date!

becs

@becs I agree re: training. When I started running it was part of a big health kick 3 years ago- I managed 8 weeks on a low carb high fat 800 calories a day diet (I know, i know) and lost 42lbs in 6 months and then for 2 years I battled with counting calories and balancing an increasingly demanding fitness routine with calorie intake and there were many times where I gained weight month on month; I simply couldn’t eat few enough calories to lose weight- it was a constant battle. Then my personal trainer said to me ‘think strong, and slim will follow’ and it’s one of the things that led me here.

In my first round of whole30 and subsequent months of whole30+wine I visibly changed in body composition, I am very lean now with actual visible muscles - and yet I didn’t train as hard, I rested more and it was purely that suddenly I was nourishing myself and therefore could build muscle and lost fat like never before. Game changer! 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

I am Italian so it would be really hard to give up all cheese!

I’m Italian too! I do miss it but I just eat extra olives, prosciutto and everything else around the cheese on my holiday antipasto platter!

Nutritional yeast as Rebecca says is a good substitute, in my experience it didn’t taste so great right when I stopped eating cheese, though. :blink: But once my taste buds were without cheese for awhile, it tasted cheesy. I just started using Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing which has it and after all these years it’s just like having Caesar salad! I’ve been eating it almost every day :P Try it...you might like it! 

I love the Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing! I discovered it for the first time during this W30, and was stoked to find it at my local store. I also bought a bottle of their cilantro lime dressing, which includes honey, to try on my sugar reintro day.

13 hours ago, 50andstillhere said:

Is anyone else doing an extension? 

Me - I'm doing another full round starting Feb 1 - Mar 2. I've still got some things to work on around the meal template, no snacking and 2 pieces of fruit rules. ALSO, my plantar fasciitis is MUCH better in my foot but not resolved. Another month will help with both of those.  January 31 I am likely going to have some wine to see what happens but, if I don't, I guess I'll be starting round 2 faster.

12 hours ago, christine19 said:

I am not good with “everything in moderation” - abstinence works for me!

I call it the Moderation Myth too - I have a whole laundry list of foods that I can't eat in moderation and, not surprisingly, salad and boiled eggs aren't on it. I am best to abstain every single time. I like the rules of W30 and part of what I need to do during W30 #5 (starting Feb 1) is figure out my FFF rules. I thought I had them sorted after my last W30 but that fell apart the minute huge emotional stress showed up. 

Off to bed for me - Day 27 is in the bag. 90% done W30 #4. I'm really proud of all of us for the work we've done! Let's finish this round super strong!

I also don’t eat everything in moderation and I don’t believe in it as a concept. I’ve used it conversely to your example, eg. People criticising my ‘restrictive’ diet and claiming that we should eat “everything - in moderation” - but who really does? so you eat liver as often as you eat steak, do you? Or celeriac as often as you eat potato? What ‘E in M’ really means is ‘I don’t believe in cutting out food groups but I’m still only going to eat <this> little collection of foods’. One thing that  I love the most about W30 is the variety. 
learning to moderate (or eliminate) certain foods in order to change behaviours is something I do still need to work on though as I still have a very emotional response to foods. Nuts for example- in the early weeks of this round I ate far too many; I’ve cut them right out this week and haven’t missed them. Plus nut butter is an absolute no-no for me. 

day 28 today! Plus it’s pay-day £££! Have a great day all! 

20 hours ago, christine19 said:

But once my taste buds were without cheese for awhile, it tasted cheesy.

Good to know! My daughter recommended it to me and I've just ordered some specifically to add to my caesar dressing and to pesto. After 28 days without cheese, I'm hoping it tastes like cheesiness too. I don't miss cheddar or soft cheeses but those deeply umami cheeses like parmesan are sorely absent.

Reading all of your posts, I'm realizing that the only things I REALLY miss in daily life are sugary coffee creamer (which I don't plan on adding back in!) and wine. I like a good cheese, but I don't miss it. Dairy and legumes were never really part of my diet. My regular at-home meals have been, for the most part, paleo over the last few years, with some rice thrown in every once in a while. My food-with-no-breaks is pretty much crunchy/salty "junk" food - Triscuits, chips (crisps), tortilla chips, Goldfish crackers, etc. I would mindlessly eat them whenever stressed/bored/sad, and over the last year they've accounted for a larger percentage of my diet than I care to admit. I can't seem to open a package without binging mindlessly through the whole thing. The great thing is that I don't actually miss that stuff - I just need to remember that post-W30!

I imagine my FF life will include rice and wine on the reg, and the other stuff only when "worth it" out in the wild (restaurants, gatherings w/friends and family, etc). Pre-COVID, my hubby and I went out to eat once a month if we were lucky, so in-the-wild situations are not that common. (We're food snobs, and feel like we can cook better food at home than most of the restaurants we go to, though that may be due to the lack of choices in our area!)

Hooray to ending week 4 today! Two more days, then it's on to the next step. Thank you all for this awesome thread/conversation! I hope we can keep it going in maintenance. And I hope you ladies who are extending will join us there.

6 minutes ago, becs said:

We're food snobs, and feel like we can cook better food at home than most of the restaurants we go to,

That’s how we are too, my husband is always disappointed when we go out to dinner, which is very rare, truly only if we were with family. We like to cook and we are great cooks! (Just ask us, lol)

I bought the nutritional yeast in a shaker to sprinkle, so I’ll try it the next time I make spaghetti squash, 

I found a nice pork shoulder on sale and I’m going to make Citrus Carnitas from the Well Fed cookbook this weekend. Salad for lunch every day is contributing to my food boredom, so I grilled a chicken burger with a portabella mushroom bun. Here is the glamour shot, but eating it like a sandwich would be a hot mess, so I used a fork and knife! 

6122AB52-581D-4E53-8E16-EFAB9178255F.jpeg

• Moderators
On 1/27/2021 at 9:21 AM, Rebecca001 said:

w30 compliant but not recommended on the 30 days as it is basically a cheesy substitute

That actually depends on how you use it... I have a great recipe for 4 ingredient meatballs that's Franks, ground chicken (or pork), green onions and nutritional yeast... if you're using it trying to pretend it's cheese, not recommended - if you're using it as an ingredient (I also put it in a buffalo egg bake that my sister @ladyshannymade up) then it's totally fine :)

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, christine19 said:

That’s how we are too, my husband is always disappointed when we go out to dinner, which is very rare, truly only if we were with family. We like to cook and we are great cooks! (Just ask us, lol)

This is how I am too... When we were younger and we'd come down to the coast from our very small northern town to see our grandparents, we always wanted to go to restaurants and never did because my grandpa hated them... said there was no reason to go when grandma's cooking was always a million times better than any restaurant.  Now I'm SO the same way... The only thing that I would order (because going into a restaurant is not my jam) is sushi because I can't make that and occassionally (in food freedom) pizza because there's nothing like pizza oven pizza and I won't have cheese in my house. Otherwise, I can make it better, faster and cheaper myself :P (in my own very biased opinion)

@SugarcubeODTotally agree on the sushi! We're pretty good at making plain old spicy tuna rolls at home (usually when my brother-in-law from San Diego gifts us with fresh-caught tuna), but even then it's never as good as at an actual sushi place, and sticky rice is a pain in the you-know-what. We do treat ourselves to the uber-fancy/expensive steakhouse in town once a year because their filet mignon is almost as amazing as Morton's. 

We very rarely eat out, mostly due to having three children and lockdown! They will get a delivery/takeout occasionally but I very rarely join them (or haven’t since July at least). It’s so far removed from our lovely clean diet that it just wouldn’t be a treat for me although it would be a treat if James cooked occasionally as he never does (well, freezer food for the kids or bacon sandwiches type meals) 

I was thinking about it today; there is nothing really I miss. Except wine. I even switched to black coffee this time and don’t even miss my nut milk latte.  I miss convenient food (not convenience) - but easy food. It would be so nice to grab a box from the freezer and bung it in the oven for 25 mins, not have to chop and dice and season.... But I know it does get easier so I’m not worried about that too much. I miss my bathroom scales (which makes me feel sad and embarrassed to admit but I have a lifelong love/hate relationship with them). 
I feel so much better not having nuts that I am going to continue without them for a few more weeks. I had a chicken curry tonight with pineapple and yellow split peas (recipe said lentils) and the resulting stomach cramp and bloating means they are also off the menu for the foreseeable. 

finished week 4, realistically it’s going to be another week til it’s over for me as it will be next Friday til I have a drink (so w35). I ran 8.5miles today, making a total of 100miles this month which is testament really to how healthy and energised I feel and I want to keep it up as long as I can now. 

Day 29!!! Woot Woot! We are KILLIN' it!

I'm starting to get excited to step on the scale on Sunday (I know I'm not supposed to care what the number is, but old habits and all). A week ago I was dreading it. Last fall when I went on a healthy eating spree, I was shocked to realize that my newly perimenopausal body did NOT want to shed the weight I had gained. Usually once I change my eating habits, the weight falls off pretty quickly, but apparently that's no longer the case. Fast forward to the present, and I've been worried that my Day 31 weigh-in would end up with me crying into a bag of potato chips. But I can finally SEE the changes in my body, and I KNOW I've lost some inches, so I'm determined not to care (too much) if my actual weight loss is subpar. I'm glad I took measurements and pictures on Day 1. I'm pretty sure I'll see changes there, if not on the scale. Besides, I still have a ways to go before I'm at a healthy, comfortable weight, and I know I'll continue to make progress in my post-W30 life now that I've got a grip on my eating habits.

I have found today quite hard. I think the prospect of another weekend with heavy snow forecast (weirdly it has been so warm here that I ran the last two days in bare arms and shorts, yet minus temps on the weekends either side? Typical British weather!), stuck in the house, unable to see my family- lockdown blues. Plus this being the 5th weekend of January! I must admit, I’m finding it tough. 

Feeling good in myself though, lots of energy, I have run 100 miles this month so far and feeling energised and I look really healthy and glowing. I don’t think I’ll have lost any weight, (maybe a few lbs but then I don’t have much to lose) , but my composition may have changed (I have body fat scales) so I’m keen to find that out. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

It would be so nice to grab a box from the freezer and bung it in the oven for 25 mins, not have to chop and dice and season.... But I know it does get easier so I’m not worried about that too much.

I totally agree about this and when I did my first Whole30 I discovered very quickly that if I'm going to make anything, I should make a LOT and then freeze it... I have JARS upon JARS of W30 stews, chili, soups etc... in the freezer... even if you double a recipe and then put one 500ml jar for each family member into the freezer, you eventually end up with a significant 'store' in your freezer of things you can just take out and reheat - I'm sure there are probably ideas around where you can do a food prep afternoon and make a bunch of 'oven ready boxes' of food for the freezer - it doesn't remove having to chop/dice/season but it does create that convenient food item for those days that you 'just can't'.  

And it totally does get easier, the more recipes and food creations (cause sometimes recipe is a strong word for what we do) you get really good at, the quicker and easier kitchen time becomes!

You're doing great!!!

@Rebecca001I remember well how hard January and February were when I lived in Philadelphia, with seemingly never-ending cold and snow. It always made me angry when the nicer weather only came out to play on weekdays. Hang in there! Keep focusing on the positives. Or just go to bed early - that's what I do when I have a particularly difficult day...

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I haven't been to a restaurant since I came home from Australia on March 20

I just had to think of the last time I've been inside a restaurant... I 'think' it was the day after my sister @ladyshannywedding in the summer of 2017... LOL... I wonder if restaurants have changed... LOL!

I have always preferred to consume meals in the comfort of mine or a friend/family home and usually in my pajamas and restaurants are not conducive to that... I'm a bit of a snob in a lot of ways ;) 

We don’t have hard winters here really, but because of this the brits are spectacularly rubbish at living with snow. Our roads are treacherous. Our boilers break down. We close schools. Cars get stranded. :-) 

thanks for your kind words. I think we’re all amazing doing this, in January, in lockdown. Dinner tonight is spicy seasoned pork , sautéed asparagus and tender stem broccoli. 

The last time I went to a restaurant was July 19th, my 37th birthday and the day before my first W30 started. I think that was the last time I ate anything that I didn’t plan for, shop for, cook and serve myself. <sigh> I think that’s what I meant by the convenient food comment as well; I miss having things that are convenient for other people to cook for me! In my first round I definitely stocked the freezer better and those things carried me through what was eventually 160 days til Christmas. Maybe that’s a habit to work on this time.

@Rebecca001- I love the British slang! (Rubbish, boilers, bung) I live in the Midwest and I don’t mind the snow. I am have been walking outside but it is too icy to run on the streets right now.  I am going to weigh myself and measure my waist on the 31st. I am going to extend this for another 2 weeks because I had a horrible reaction to spaghetti sauce- and I am Italian!! (Gassy, bathroom issues, etc.) So because I have arthritis, I have decided to elimInate  white potatoes because, I have been eating them  a lot during this whole30.

Like @Becs and @Lorna, I too am a food snob, but I love going to restaurants just to get out of the house and have fun with friends. (I try to order the healthiest item, but that can be hard.)

Good luck Becs- you don’t need to eat chips to handle stress because you have different ways to cope.

Hopefully I will read your posts on the“ reintroduction Threads” because they are very inspiring.

Archived