Let's Support Each Other — doing a January Whole30


Recommended Posts

Note: Just a report, not really a complaint or call for help :D

Today is Day 13 for us.  I'm finding that I am not that hungry and don't really care about food. I woke this morning and wanted my coffee (with Califia almond milk and ff coconut milk). I started cooking up some applegate sausage and warming up potatoes and brussels sprouts from last night's dinner - however I am just not very hungry! Last night we cooked a lovely fresh king salmon with a creamy artichoke heart/herb sauce, plus medley of roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts and carrots. I could finish the salmon but only half the rest.

Maybe that's a good thing.  I remember eating all my pasta and then going back for more in the past - now I am fully satiated without finishing my plate and no desire for sweets. Would be curious if anyone else is feeling similar?

Edited by MaddMac
added words for context
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi there. What if a group of us introduced ourselves in this forum topic, and checked back to support each other throughout the month? I signed up to do the January 2022 Whole30 on the website. T

Hi, I'm Laura. First timer, starting on Jan. 1st. Mostly want to break my sugar habit, and also want to show myself that I can meet this challenge! I look forward to checking in with you during the mo

Well this is a bit gross but I'm not burping so much, I'm much less bloated and it's only day 2.  

13 hours ago, MaddMac said:

My husband doesn't like eating eggs everyday (he's doing W30 as well) so I found this recipe called "Butternut Breakfast Meatballs" available here:  https://realsimplegood.com/butternut-breakfast-meatballs/.

My husband likes them and they are a fairly easy make ahead thing. 

I normally make an egg omelet with sautéed zucchini, garlic and onions with sweet potatoes on the side.

If I don't want eggs, I sauté the zucchini add in Pomi chopped tomatoes and chicken, diced white potatoes. It's like a chicken stew. Delish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m feeling really tired today. I did 2 classes at the gym this morning, slept well last night etc but this afternoon I’ve just felt really tired. I might have a bath tonight and try and get to bed early. My son has covid (asymptomatic) but I hope it’s not a sign of that being on the cards… 

I made some pork mince burgers tonight with tomato purée and dairy free (compliant) cheese (which I’m fairly sure that although the ingredients were compliant, the concept isn’t?!) the cheese wasn’t on the top, it was like a Parmesan style and it was mixed in with the meat.very tasty. I will be having one of those for breakfast tomorrow with salad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MaddMac said:

I'm finding that I am not that hungry and don't really care about food.

Absolutely! Day 10-15 I felt this way (I'm on Day 18 today). The appetite has returned in the last couple days - although my sweet craving have not!!! I just tried spicing up my meals a little, and added a couple compliant 'cheats'. I found coconut wraps that were totally compliant (tho I know you're not supposed to recreate food, but these were super clean ingredients, so I don't know), and some cashew cheese substitute... it was enough to get me excited again and now I think I'm over that hump!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I’m feeling really tired today. I did 2 classes at the gym this morning, slept well last night etc but this afternoon I’ve just felt really tired. I might have a bath tonight and try and get to bed early. My son has covid (asymptomatic) but I hope it’s not a sign of that being on the cards… 

I made some pork mince burgers tonight with tomato purée and dairy free (compliant) cheese (which I’m fairly sure that although the ingredients were compliant, the concept isn’t?!) the cheese wasn’t on the top, it was like a Parmesan style and it was mixed in with the meat.very tasty. I will be having one of those for breakfast tomorrow with salad. 

I noticed that Whole30 lists kitehill on their website as compliant. To me cream cheese/cheese is maybe skirting the line but maybe as long as you aren't making a charcuterie board or something like that, it is probably fine. I was definitely surprised it was on the website this go around. To me cream cheese seems like you are going to make some paleo bagel or some onion dip concoction (definitely SWYPO)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

Absolutely! Day 10-15 I felt this way (I'm on Day 18 today). The appetite has returned in the last couple days - although my sweet craving have not!!! I just tried spicing up my meals a little, and added a couple compliant 'cheats'. I found coconut wraps that were totally compliant (tho I know you're not supposed to recreate food, but these were super clean ingredients, so I don't know), and some cashew cheese substitute... it was enough to get me excited again and now I think I'm over that hump!

Per the pancake rule " If the ingredients are JUST a protein or a vegetable, it’s fine. That means your jicama “taco shells,” ground beef “meatza” crust, or egg white “wraps” are A-OK. If there’s flour mixed in, like with cauliflower gnocchi, it’s out under the pancake rule."

Not sure if yours was just coconut. I mean I do feel like regardless, it was probably far enough away from a tortilla that it is probably fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aliem999 said:

Per the pancake rule " If the ingredients are JUST a protein or a vegetable, it’s fine. That means your jicama “taco shells,” ground beef “meatza” crust, or egg white “wraps” are A-OK. If there’s flour mixed in, like with cauliflower gnocchi, it’s out under the pancake rule."

Not sure if yours was just coconut. I mean I do feel like regardless, it was probably far enough away from a tortilla that it is probably fine.

Your totally right. There's a fine line that's easily crossed recreating a food that's in itself unnatural, and how that can trigger the brain in a way that's not in line with the spirit of the whole 30. And while I think the boundaries of that trigger is probably quite individual, a stance overall for the program is an important note. 

This is the ingredient list: Organic coconut meat, organic coconut water, unrefined virgin coconut oil, cinnamon. So not a single ingredient, but still certainly compliant when broken down to the ingredient level.

As an aside lol I keep checking the frozen veggie 'tater tots' at the grocery store to see if they are compliant, and nope, still haven't changed! LOL ahaha

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

Your totally right. There's a fine line that's easily crossed recreating a food that's in itself unnatural, and how that can trigger the brain in a way that's not in line with the spirit of the whole 30. And while I think the boundaries of that trigger is probably quite individual, a stance overall for the program is an important note. 

This is the ingredient list: Organic coconut meat, organic coconut water, unrefined virgin coconut oil, cinnamon. So not a single ingredient, but still certainly compliant when broken down to the ingredient level.

As an aside lol I keep checking the frozen veggie 'tater tots' at the grocery store to see if they are compliant, and nope, still haven't changed! LOL ahaha

Three out of the four ingredients are coconut and the fourth is a spice...I feel like the pancake rule would be fine with this.

Quite frankly, Whole30 #4 (I think) I had plantain chips on super bowl Sunday at a party. I think they had been banned between my third and fourth Whole30. The one prior I had about half a bag of them through my entire Whole30 and to me they are substantially different than a potato chip. I was told I broke the rules, which I did. I can't remember if I found out they were not compliant shortly before Super Bowl Sunday or after I posted about it after eating them (it was definitely after I purchased them, thinking they were compliant). Either way, I don't really regret it. I mean I ate a compliant meal before and after, but besides the guac, plantain chips and veggies brought by us, that was the only food available at the party (5-6 hours mind you) that was compliant. Do I plan on having plantain chips this time around? No. I don't really see how they are much worse than some other compliant things (like the vegan nut cheese). Totally get it if you are eating them all the time, so I see why they should be banned.  At some point I think grown up decisions need to be made. haha.

And yes....I have checked several brands of veggie tots...though I do think I found one (can't remember brand or if they for sure were compliant), but my son could not have them due to an egg allergy so I did not buy it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 13 for me and I am TIRED!!! No energy and no desire to do anything. It could be because I worked out twice on Thursday and my multiple sclerosis is mad, or it’s because I need to be eating more but I am not hungry. My appetite is nearly non existent. 
 

Heading to the grocery store here in a few and I’m going to meal prep better this week. My goal is to really work on three meals a day that are in line with the template instead of just randomly eating approved foods. 
 

No feed back from me on the possible swypo items that have been discussed because I myself have searched and searched for compliant fries :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

hahaha I can relate to the struggle!!!

I am wondering if you could take some fresh (or compliant frozen) hash browns, and shape them into tator tots? Then saute them in coconut or avocado oil, or maybe ghee combo?  Or you could add some kind of binding agent like a cassava flour and/or egg? I am just winging it at this point!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally made it to the store!!!! I didn’t get any actual cooking done today but I will do a bunch tomorrow. 
 

Tonight for dinner I just ate one of the approved primal kitchen frozen meals. It was actually pretty good! A bit on the spicy side for me but still good. I do have to say though that if I was ever in a place where I was starving I might need to add some extra veggies to it. The serving is pretty small. But I can’t complain with the fact that it was super easy after a day of not having energy to do much of anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the pancake rule extends to as much as whether it’s something you eat addictively anyway. I find it quite vague, not helped one bit with all the compliant branded products available that we get emails about. And larabars and pouches of baby food fruit purée….. there are lots of compliant things that I will not buy as I eat them so compulsively that I can’t have them in my house during a w30 (dried fruit, nut butter, nuts) 

For me, once my 30 days are over, I actually like almond flour bread and biscotti, and I do use compliant potato products as I see them as nutritionally compliant (after the 30) so I use them to help me prolong the nice clean w30 feeling while still having some treats and added variety. I managed several months entirely compliant by doing this and it’s what I will do again once I’ve finished this one. 
However, I do find, and have noticed this on other w30’s when I’ve not been so strict, when I do eat the compliant/non compliant/swypos - I don’t get the same clean energy feeling. I think it’s a psychological thing not a physical to be honest. The tiger roars louder for me when I am 100% on the rules. Some people manage fine with them. I would suggest if it’s your first one then play by the rules -including the meal template- which will give you the best possible experience and then introduce compliant products such as potato/ crisps/ over chips etc if you want to as your first reintroductions. 
 

I’m just finishing my coffee and heading out into the dark for my run this morning. It’s Cold here today! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I signed up for daily Whole30 text messages when I started. They are promoted as being daily encouragement from Melissa herself. Of course they are computer/auto generated but they are nice to get. The one today made me laugh and feel better about life. If you don’t get them, here it is. 

“Whole30 Day 14! Hey, are you doing the PERFECT Whole30? No? Good, because it DOESN'T EXIST. Not every meal will be a colorful rainbow. Snacks will happen. Over-eating almond butter might happen. If you're me, microwaving Whole30 Approved hot dogs and eating them with my bare hands happens like once a week.

I have a saying here: Let good enough be good enough, especially when things are THIS uncertain and stressful. Are you eating Whole30 food? SUCCESS. (Love, Me)” 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as well because it’s to do with compulsive behaviour around food. The replicated baked goods are so easy to overeat, and to eat when you’re not hungry <hence my ban of nuts and nut butter and compliant bars> and I guess the same would apply to potato products (but what on earth is a potato tot?!). But you can make your own potato chips /fries and they are just as nice. It’s probably an age old discussion around compliant and non compliant foods on here! 
What really surprised me is that they have ‘un-banned’ MSG- I find that bizarre if for no other Reason that msg makes everything more ‘more ish’ and the whole Food with no brakes is far more likely with msg on the table. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MizRik said:

Day 13 for me and I am TIRED!!! No energy and no desire to do anything. It could be because I worked out twice on Thursday and my multiple sclerosis is mad, or it’s because I need to be eating more but I am not hungry. My appetite is nearly non existent. 
 

Heading to the grocery store here in a few and I’m going to meal prep better this week. My goal is to really work on three meals a day that are in line with the template instead of just randomly eating approved foods. 
 

No feed back from me on the possible swypo items that have been discussed because I myself have searched and searched for compliant fries :D

I believe if you bake your own potatoes (and pretty sure I saw on the forum, people air frying them but definitely double check before doing it) it is compliant. Whenever I roast potatoes I have always made them super crispy. So yummy

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MaddMac said:

I am wondering if you could take some fresh (or compliant frozen) hash browns, and shape them into tator tots? Then saute them in coconut or avocado oil, or maybe ghee combo?  Or you could add some kind of binding agent like a cassava flour and/or egg? I am just winging it at this point!

Probably fine, but I mean you can always just crisp those potatoes up in a pan. Yummy! You would probably have to cook the potatoes first before forming them for your recipe so that you don't have raw potato in the middle and then bake until crisp or pan fry them

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rebecca001 said:

I think as well because it’s to do with compulsive behaviour around food. The replicated baked goods are so easy to overeat, and to eat when you’re not hungry <hence my ban of nuts and nut butter and compliant bars> and I guess the same would apply to potato products (but what on earth is a potato tot?!). But you can make your own potato chips /fries and they are just as nice. It’s probably an age old discussion around compliant and non compliant foods on here! 
What really surprised me is that they have ‘un-banned’ MSG- I find that bizarre if for no other Reason that msg makes everything more ‘more ish’ and the whole Food with no brakes is far more likely with msg on the table. 

I did not realize they unbanned MSG. Though quite frankly, not sure what food items have MSG and not other banned ingredients too. So unless you are buying MSG as a replacement as salt, I don't know what else you are buying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rebecca001 said:

I think the pancake rule extends to as much as whether it’s something you eat addictively anyway.

Agreed, and perhaps your reasons for beginning the program? Like as an elimination diet/food sensitivities experiment, vs a path back to healthy eating lifestyle? Either way, I completely agree with what you are saying!

Have you really never heard of tator tots?! Crazy! They are little cylindrical morsels of hashbrown style potatoes, fried to golden brown. The brand commonly known as tatortots are baked on a sheet tray. I've seen new options for broccoli tots or cauliflower tots, but I've not tried any yet! To my knowledge, (or at least every brand I've seen so far this month) all have wheat flour as a binder... oh well!

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, itskatiegirl11 said:

Agreed, and perhaps your reasons for beginning the program? Like as an elimination diet/food sensitivities experiment, vs a path back to healthy eating lifestyle? Either way, I completely agree with what you are saying!

Have you really never heard of tator tots?! Crazy! They are little cylindrical morsels of hashbrown style potatoes, fried to golden brown. The brand commonly known as tatortots are baked on a sheet tray. I've seen new options for broccoli tots or cauliflower tots, but I've not tried any yet! To my knowledge, (or at least every brand I've seen so far this month) all have wheat flour as a binder... oh well!

The dr. prager ones are technically complain (the ones for kids). They have egg in them so my son can't have them, so I have never bought them. Not sure how crispy they get but they are veggies and potatoes with egg and arrowroot powder. That brand is pretty pricey though. I do like their veggie burgers, though I am not sure if any of those are compliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2022 at 9:28 AM, MaddMac said:

Note: Just a report, not really a complaint or call for help :D

Today is Day 13 for us.  I'm finding that I am not that hungry and don't really care about food.I woke this morning and wanted my coffee (with Califia almond milk and ff coconut milk). I started cooking up some applegate sausage and warming up potatoes and brussels sprouts from last night's dinner - however I am just not very hungry! Last night we cooked a lovely fresh king salmon with a creamy artichoke heart/herb sauce, plus medley of roasted potatoes, brussels sprouts and carrots. I could finish the salmon but only half the rest.

Maybe that's a good thing.  I remember eating all my pasta and then going back for more in the past - now I am fully satiated without finishing my plate and no desire for sweets. Would be curious if anyone else is feeling similar?

Interesting! I find that I'm ravenous, but I eat big fats and proteins to satiate myself, instead of carbs. Having done Whole30 before, I'm not focused on portion sizes or meal templates or any of that, mainly just compliant food. For me, if I'm hungry, I gotta EAT. Must be cool to not be hungry!

Also funny: Melissa Urban is very strict about how it is "not hard" to drink coffee without milk or cream in it... but my first W30 I had trouble with that. I'm allergic to nuts and coconut, so I can't put a substitute in my coffee! And it was fine. I ended up staying on black coffee (decaf) after my first W30. Haven't missed the half-n-half at all, and that was nearly five years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the tater tot discussion: for me, that would qualify as "French fries" or "food without brakes" or "chips," all no-no's on the Whole30. But some of the rules seem kind of arbitrary... so maybe tater tots are okay?

There was also a crazy band called Tater Totz in the late '80s/early '90s. Did a smashing, 12-minute cover of Yoko Ono's "Don't Worry Kyoko."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on Day 13. Very slow, tired mornings, then some pep in the afternoon after my (large, eggy) breakfast.

A treat this week was a surprisingly delicious, farmed steelhead fillet with loads of flavor and fat; if you've never had it, steelhead trout is similar to salmon. I had some Hot Lava salts my husband got me in Hawaii... I slathered those on both sides, sauteed the fish a couple minutes in a thin coat of olive oil, skin down, then added a little water and put on a lid, poached it for a bit. delicious!

For the non-Whole30 menfolk I made gluten-free penne pasta with a cashew-basil pesto. For me, roasted potato slices with plain basil-garlic pesto, and alas I overcooked them, so it wasn't super great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me, tater tots are just hash browns put into little shapes so not sure why it wouldn't be compliant. However, the store bought ones typically have non compliant things in them.  But Tiffy - you can have "fries", just not in the style of fast food fries. You need to cut them  yourself and make them homemade (baked in the oven). I tend to do that with rutabaga or sweet potato "fries".  I just follow the recipes in the Whole30 cookbook and go from there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...