Cauliflower Fried "Rice"

Jinkse21

I finally got around to making the cauliflower rice I have seen people post about and I am so glad I did! I should have made it last week! It is so simple if you have a food processor. I used a whole head and once it was chopped, I put half in a freezer bag to use next week.

I sautéed onion, carrots, celery, snow peas, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini in EVOO. I would have added chopped garlic if I had any. Once everything was to desired texture, I added the cauliflower and coconut aminos and stir-fried for about 5 minutes.

Delish!!!

This should definitely be on your list to make! I love mashed cauliflower too but this is way easy to make. I just cut the florets off of the cauliflower head and added half of them to the food processor and pulsed until everything was chopped. When I added it to the other veggies, I cooked it until it had a nice bite.

Cauliflower rice is delicious. I put of making it for a while because many years ago I tried making mashed cauliflower which I thought was horrible.

The rice to me tastes a bit like special fried rice from the Chinese and is really nice. I had to grate my cauliflower by hand as my food processor is broken but definitely worth it!

Yeah, I love his stuff too. I've seem him bashed by Paleo folk because he advocates the "eat less meat" philosophy. But he has great simple ideas for food that are really delicious.

Question though about the cauliflower rice. I made it last night and it was more like polenta? I think the issue is I didn't chop my cauliflower small enough, so I had big chunks whirling around the processor and probably kept pulsing for too long. My husband mos def did not think it was rice. (I didn't have extra stuff in it--just a bit of scallions, ginger and garlic. And chicken fat/coconut oil.)

What exactly is the desired texture? I wasn't sure for how long to cook it. And I've always had to mix some pots in my mashed cauliflower. It's not a veg I normally enjoy eating unless doused in sauce.

Thanks for the reminder. I kind of bypassed all the cauliflower rice recipes because the concept seemed a bit like eating fake meat when you're vegetarian. But, I really fancy a curry and something to soak up the sauce.

You might have put too much cauliflower in the food processor at once. Put in half a head cut in about 1" florets and pulse til you see the rice texture. Then repeat with the other half.

You can sauté it briefly in oil just til it gets somewhat soft. Or wet sauté it briefly.

I actually use the shredder blade, not the blender one. when I make it I cook it for quite a long time. I know other posts say it gets mushy, I haven't experienced that, maybe because I'm using the shredder blade? I cook it while stirring it, higher heat, and when most of the moisture has cooked off I often let it sit a little longer before stirring again, so some of the rice is almost fried like it is in normal fried rice. I'm sorry, I wish I could explain it better. all I know is I've seen so many times to only let the rice cook for a short amount of time and it always takes me quite a while to finish my rice (I will check next time, but I want to say a good 20 minutes after I put the "rice" in). I don't like the blender blade because I can never get a consistent size with it.

i make it in the food processor with the S blade, then i fry it in a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil, bit of salt & pepper & maybe a few sultanas if i'm feeling extravagant ;) I only cook it for about 5 minutes, so it still has a bit of bite to it. Any leftovers go in the fridge & i have them refried a few days later. The cauliflower rice pilaf recipe from Well Fed is totally stunning btw!

Thanks for the tips.

I did put the whole head in at once. It was small but I'll try halving it next time. I might also try the shredder blade technique. And I will check out that pilaf. Though if it has nuts I'm not a big nuts in food fan.

I just found a "fouscous" recipe with olives and that sounds yummy too. I think I would in general like it with more stuff in it.

I started referring to it as Cauliflower Cous Cous as it turns out looking more like Cous Cous and when mixed with other ingredients, I can't tell the difference. I used the S blade and pulsed it several times. I found one or two pieces that didn't get chopped but I was ok with that because they just got popped into my mouth! ;)

My husband thought it was couscous when he saw it, so that's what we call it too. I use it as a base for saucy meals - curries, bolognese, crock pot chicken... I've wanted to try the pilaf in Well Fed, glad to hear good reviews. It'll be on the menu this week, for sure!

• 6 months later...

I tried the cauliflower rice last night for the Asian Fried Rice recipe as well. That's going to be a staple for us! I did use the S shaped blade as well which did resemble couscous. I have the other half of the head so I'll try the shredder blade tonight in the pilaf recipe.

Thanks all!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hate the flavor of raw cauliflower, and every time I make cauliflower "rice" I have to cook it a good 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to get rid of the raw taste. I also find I have to use a ton of coconut aminos to get it to taste right. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this last night with great success. BUT...didn't really feel like rice to me. Maybe next time, I used the S blade on most of the cauliflower and switched at the end to the grater blade...which was more rice-like. I thought of it as cauliflower couscous.

Mine was simple, just onion, the last of the matchstick carrots in the bag (chopped up smaller) and the cauli with fish sauce and (I'm not Whole 30, and my husband refuses to have coconut aminos in the house, so this is our compromise) gluten free soy tamari. 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely going to try this. Could have done with it last night to go with my fish curry - there was lots of sauce and nothing to soak it up! Next time I shall make this to go with it!

Fully compliant, quick and easy fish curry recipe on my blog here BTW

• 2 weeks later...

Archived