• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Beets where is the horror quote? Looked all through this log and can't find it. Harrumph.

We do not feel horror because we are threatened by a sphinx; we dream of a sphinx in order to explain the horror we feel. – Borges

The lovely Beets posted it to my log.

Mo, I'll happily listen to your sappy gratitudes anytime. I want a grateful world surrounding me. A wise old mentor woman in my life once told me that we can't hate when we're finding gratitude. I choose gratitude. I love reading that you were out with the chickens. Many moons ago I was a young ax wielding mama. I grew all our food organically before it was fashionable, chopped wood for the stove to cook on, lived a quiet life and watched chickens. It's been so long ago but I remember how connected I felt both to the earth, my baby and myself.

Beets, I think I'm eventually going to get over my love/hate thing with the scale. Its already starting to feel naughty and liberating. Are you a Borges fan?

I was restless tonight. I toasted an ounce of flaked coconut in a cast iron pan. Ate it two hours ago. Now I look five months pregnant. Seriously, no joke. From relatively flat to mega pregnant. If coconut is a problem for me ..... I'll freakin cry!

Sweet dreams everyone.

I'm back to report: excellent podcast. Jam packed with good stuff, highly recommended by moi. Got me exactly where I need to be in my mind about all this because I was starting to spin and over think it.

I am going to pre-order her book. It sounds amazing.

Moluv, I so appreciate all you have to say and share. You are absolutely spot on. You all are.

BTW, what are you doing with all your eggs? Does the rest of your family eat them? Not that it matters much here.... one egg in the coop today. I'm gonna find them. Tomorrow's the day. We think they might be actually going under the deck, which is low to the ground, but they could shimmy in there I think.

Nadia, I second cast iron at flea markets, thrift stores.... they are everywhere and cheap.

calee, sounds like coconut might be a problem for you :(. One more test maybe, if you think you need it? And then we get to help you figure out alternatives. Lemonade out of lemons (I always tell my daughter lemons out of lemonade, which would be quite a feat).

So you all are referring to Jorge Luis, I gather. Oh my, I used to have many volumes of his on my shelves, but I haven't read him in a loooong time. 'The Aleph' is one of my all time favorite stories. Now I want to dig it up and read it.

Night everyone!

FWIW I used to get all bloated from coconut too, but after my short stints with IBS-AIP protocols I have now been able to handle it just fine. That said, I don't eat much anyways. But it's in the FODMAPs list- I did low FODMAPs for a while, now I don't react. There is definitely a fixable imbalance there. A note on coconut milk- I don't tolerate guar gum so once I found a clean cocknut milk I can now have that too with no problems.

Good morning. I haven't tried coconut milk yet. Woke up without the bloat. Sad that it might be the bloat. I feel like coconut flakes were something I could count on. So maybe this really does boil down to letting go. *sigh*

A few of you suggested coconut oil on my eczema patches by my nose. It's getting much worse since starting Whole30 and letting go of the allergen tested foods.

So before bed, I smeared coconut oil on the sides of my nose. Two hours later I woke up because I smelled something vile, only to realize it was me! I was gagging. I had to get up and go wash my face and put on pleasant smelling lotion. What the heck is up with that?

I'm doing some cooking this morning, then heading into the city to the big Farmers Market. They only allow organic. It's stunning the visuals. I heard one of the vendors does a Porchetta sandwich that's outrageously good. Yes please, hold the bread.

Today will be hours and hours of city walking and maybe beach walking as well. I'm looking forward to time with my playmate!

Breathing into visualizing trust in my food instincts that my desires wont run amuck without the scale to hold me in check. Eating with abandon of AIP foods, still a dream quest. I said I wanted to learn to trust myself with food. Still workin on it. Though I'd rather think of all this as playing with my body and mind to find the perfect harmony. That sounds way too sappy!

Happy Saturday everyone! Happy Day 18 of my Whole30 to me. Missing coffee a little after 6.5 hours sleep. Waiting for healing patiently, looking around every corner so I don't miss it. :)

What Mo said about coconut. Same thing. Calee, you say that you could rely on flakes as what? No food police here, but you are on whole 30 = no replacing need for dessert with allowed food (for these days) and snacks should be protein+fat+carb like a mini meal. Soooo maybe it's for the best. Try adding them to the meal and see if you react. Kombucha helps with bloat somehow.

Other than that - hooray for almost 2/3d of your whole30. Have great day at the market. Sounds like an awesome day is ahead of you.

Beets, I got the salt. Good call. I smell it ALL the time. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

I am very excited to try and find second hnd cast iron skillets, no snkbby stuff here. Hooray.

About aip. Skin is calming down thank God. I had amazing breakfast. Picture is in the blogroll, I have no clue how you post pictures from your phones. Tapatalk won't allowme. Wtf.

Gym, ballet class, stretching class, kombucha shopping (vessel bottles), planting herbs and cooking/eating somewhere in between. Busy is good. Cheers and waves of love ya all.

Hello there!! Just thought I'd chime in as another observer of this thread. I'm on day 13 of my 2nd Whole 30 (did my first back in October, and had a great experience. Tried another in January and gave up when I accidentally ate breadcrumbs in a sauce at a restaurant). I'm a Hashimoto girl (originally diagnosed 30 years ago in my teens) who is trying to avoid a total thyroidectomy. I'm already gluten and grain free (except when the occasional restaurant lies to me..bah), and I'm very close to dairy free as well (obviously I am on Whole 30s, but primarily that way in between as well). I've been toying with the idea of doing an AIP trial, but I'm apprehensive of taking that big leap. I just went about 6 days in a row with no eggs, and it wasn't that difficult. Don't drink coffee any more anyway. But nuts, tomatoes, and all kinds of spices is really looming large for me. And ghee?? <<cry>> I seem sensitive to coconut so I generally avoid it. Ghee is something I use pretty frequently. Of course I also use lard, tallow, duckfat (loooooveee duck fat) and palm oil...but love my ghee.

My husband is an IBS sufferer, and although he hasn't done Whole 30 yet, he is pretty paleo/primal most of the time... I'm currently trying to convince him to go AIP with me for a bit, but no go yet. He has a bad time with a lot of FODMAPs so I know he already feels pretty restricted (he can't eat onions whatsoever without probs, for instance).

Anyhow...I hope you all don't mind if I hang out here for inspiration and ideas. Seems like a very supportive, fun, and friendly group :) :)

Yes. I love all the sappiness. Lord knows I need it.

And gratitude. Always a project for me. Though I had an epiphany: I'm dredging up all this old stuff (old regrets, old feelings of guilt, ineptitude, etc.,) because I needed to come to this thought: I am happy to be the me I am now, and would t be that person if I had made different choices.

I just got a key to the community garden. Yay! I can't raise chickens there :( but I can let my kids run around and pretend we have a yard.

Calee, I dream of being that mama but it seems we cannot escape the city. Yet. Someday we will.

Glad that podcast was helpful, Babywizard. I've thought too about pre-ordering her book bc I think she's great. Some of the "paleo experts" are a little too smug, flip, macho (or just not as smart as they think they are) but she and Chris Kessler are great.

Oh and I do like Borges, read him in college but not since and not deeply. I saw the quote on Twitter. :D

• Moderators

Yes. I love all the sappiness. Lord knows I need it.

And gratitude. Always a project for me. Though I had an epiphany: I'm dredging up all this old stuff (old regrets, old feelings of guilt, ineptitude, etc.,) because I needed to come to this thought: I am happy to be the me I am now, and would t be that person if I had made different choices.

I just got a key to the community garden. Yay! I can't raise chickens there :( but I can let my kids run around and pretend we have a yard.

YIPPPEEEEEEE X 2!!

Thank you again for the Illig hypnosis rec, Beets. I sense it having a deep effect on me in terms of loving my body and letting go of the self hatred. This to me is a greater gift than weight loss.

It's working so effectively that I'm going to the beach today in a two-piece suit. Remember I'm chunkiest through the middle and have hated my belly for as long as I can remember. Well, I'm tapping into my yogini (thank you great yoga class this morning) self and remembering a great yoga workshop that left me with a couple thoughts: what if there's nothing wrong with me? who am I trying to protect from looking at my belly?

While I'm going to Lake Michigan today I'm summoning my beach experiences in Dubrovnic and Nice in 2008. I weighed at least 20 pounds more than I do now but shamelessly wore a french bikini because I was doing as the locals. And I wasn't the fattest one on the beach, not that I particularly cared.

Another juicy tidbit from today's yoga class: it's time, once again, for LadyM to take a lover. Related to loving myself again? I think yes. :)

• Moderators

So before bed, I smeared coconut oil on the sides of my nose. Two hours later I woke up because I smelled something vile, only to realize it was me! I was gagging. I had to get up and go wash my face and put on pleasant smelling lotion. What the heck is up with that?

I would read this as yet another clue that you might have a coconut sensitivity. Our bodies have an amazing built-in mechanism to keep us away from things that are poisonous to us: disgust.

My husband is an IBS sufferer, and although he hasn't done Whole 30 yet, he is pretty paleo/primal most of the time... I'm currently trying to convince him to go AIP with me for a bit, but no go yet. He has a bad time with a lot of FODMAPs so I know he already feels pretty restricted (he can't eat onions whatsoever without probs, for instance).

Welcome nutmegananne!

Give the Paleo View Ep 39 on gut health a listen. Link on The Paleo Mom website.

I think you and your husband might find it helpful.

Ugh! Just grabbed dinner (roasted chicken, beets w Meyer lemon and tarragon) in a little grocery store that sells all sorts of yummy treats (chocolate, cheese, pickles) and I just kept thinking, I can't eat any of this food!

I never felt that way on W30.

I almost scarfed a fancy milk chocolate-covered sea-salted marshmallow right in the aisle. I didn't. But it was frustrating. Feeling constrained and like I'm about to just bust apart and eat crackers.

• Moderators

Ugh! Just went food shopping in a little grocery store that sells all sorts of yummy treats (chocolate, cheese, pickles) and I just kept thinking, I can't eat any of this food!

I never felt that way on W30.

Since those things weren't legal during W30, what do you think the difference is now?

You didn't and it's awesome. It's not the last time brain will rebel. I guess it's an AIP version of the food dreams phase. I hate when it happens, because 90% of the time it's the idea of having something that's good, not the item. The food itself is disappointing and digestion goes out of wack. Stubborn brain keeps doing it from time to time regardless. Brrr.

One question - did you crave smth specific, like chocolate or you just had this what if I go and eat something that looks good? I think that cravings is a source of information as well. Like chocolate craving is a sign of low magnesium etc. i don't know much about this subject tho.

I would read this as yet another clue that you might have a coconut sensitivity. Our bodies have an amazing built-in mechanism to keep us away from things that are poisonous to us: disgust.

I'm sobbing. I feel like this AIP/Whole30 is stripping away my protective food layers. It's so easy to hide emotions when there's a little mini "party in my mouth" happening. I started this process askin to be shown my truth. But wow, this is brutally honest. I'm grateful for all of you who are holding my mind going through this. Would be so much harder alone.

I suspected that the vile smell wasn't a good sign.

Now who was it that offered some cocoless camaraderie? I could use it!

The farmers market, ferry ride cross the bay and long walk were exactly what I needed. Though I didn't think I was going to make it up the numerous flights of stairs from the subway. I still have zero energy. I wanted to sit down on the stairs but would have pissed off the multitudes. I stopped by Peet's for an unsweetened black iced tea. I assume tea isn't a nono? It felt medicinal. I'm sure I couldn't have done the long walk without it.

I need to find my strength before my two hour hike in the Redwoods tomorrow morning.

LadyM, I'm having the same thoughts on taking a lover.

Kudos on the 2piece swimsuit! Love it!

• Moderators

I'll go coconut free with you, Calee!

Congrats on the big day. You're going to make it. Your energy will be good very soon. You just have to be patient and persistent. We've all been there on the W30. I'm still on mine--day 40--but I've made it past that energy slump. You will too.

Will you do the two hour hike if you don't have the energy? Be gentle with yourself. These are deep changes we're undergoing. . . .

Ditto. Sometimes less is more says Nadia who did a circuit and ballet class after, then ran to do grocery shopping and another core stretching class after...and going for another long walk. I still have troubles resting. It's nothing compared to a half year ago. So much better. Calee, this is the past habit, right? This desire to push more goes with calculating food, dieting etc, I know it too well :( Your body will appreciate a good rest day and good sleep more than any movement. Seriously. It's hard but so necessary.

Energy slump is actually a good sign, you know. This means that your body is getting used to burn fat instead of glucose. That's the point, so just power through. Or should I say rest through.

Off I go into the sunshine to buy flower pots. Hope everyone will have a great evening. Promise?

Since those things weren't legal during W30, what do you think the difference is now?

I think it's, like Nadia said, my brain rebelling. Too much NO, it's saying. I was also very hungry. And need desperately to change up my meals. I slept like crap last night (all night zombie dream saga--that was kind of fun, actually). And my energy is seriously sagging.

Wow everyone is on fire with transformation today! I'd love to comment on specific things I read but can't really do that very well from tapatalk but I did read and emote with you all and I'm so excited about the changes we are all supporting each other through.

I learned a lesson today I needed to learn now for a while. I'm grateful for it and I learned it by breaking my AIP. My husband and I had been invited by the owner of my little ones preschool (someone we have mutual friends but had never socialize with) to a wine bar patio casual anniversary thing. We had a sitter line up, I was planning on drinking sparkling water, no bigs. Then my hubs got called out to work because it was a high fire danger day and I had to go alone. I had a couple girlfriends there but they were planning to leave early so I was just sort of worried that I would not have fun with ppl I don't know wo drinking. And so I drank. And ended up having a pretty good time and even talked one of my girlfriends into staying longer. I had 1/2 gin + tonic (later found out tonic has HFCS which I'm more upset about than drinking alcohol) and 2 glasses of white wine. It was the only thing that made the evening fun and herein lies The Lesson. If the plans I have are so lame that alcohol is required to enjoy them, I'd be better off staying home. Another thing is while the first part of the buzz was good at unleashing me a little so to speak, an hour after I just had this awful feeling like I'd somehow lost sight of who I really was. I had less power and I didn't like it.

As far as Saturdays go though, mine was magnif. I took the kids to an equine rescue ranch open house where we visited lots of people we know and lovely horses, then spent the aftenoon swimming with girlfriends.

M1: leftover pulled pork, roasted beets sweets and cabbage, 1/4 avo, tension tamer tea with coconut oil (not good)

M2: Kombucha, 1/4 kids GF burger patty, more nibbles of pork, watermelon slice, coconut water

M3: 2 ribs, boar and cranberry sausage, spinach leaves, drinks

M4: spaghetti squash with avo mashed in

Going off my plan today did nothing to take me further off plan, if anything it just solidified that I am on the right path and deepens my commitment.

I must be on an opposite rhythm than some of you, 'cuz I am in abundance mode. Come back, join me here! It's fun!

I woke up at 8:30am, took my thyroid meds and decided to lay back down for half hour while it did its thing, and next thing I know, I'm waking up from crazy weird dreams, none of which I remember, and it's 1:30pm. Holy crap! House was empty... kids at their dad's, BF an hour away doing bee stuff.

My success of the day... I had bone broth 1st thing. Not coffee, ...bone broth. Big deal for me, who panics not at the idea of quitting coffee, but just at the idea of delaying coffee until after I have eaten. So this morning, I had my bone broth, M1 (I'm posting my food in my log just so it's all there), and then had my coffee. I have to say, it tasted so delicious and rewarding after a meal than when just mainlining it immediately upon awakening. So I'm gonna do that again tomorrow. One day at a time.

Later in the afternoon, I drove a couple of forgotten items to my kids, and then stopped by the food co-op. This is the 'healthiest' store in town, and it was a little weird walking by, say, the bulk aisle thinking "there's nothing there for me." Not even the dried fruit because it is 1. hard on my gut and 2. a food without breaks for me. I got lots of rooty and leafy things, including a ginormous bag or carrots for fermenting, some mushrooms, and some fruit (apples, banana, and mangos for that yummy salsa Nadia wrote up. I also got 2 bottle of kombucha, one plain one to start a batch, and one ginger one to drink. Then I saw a kombucha starter pack, and grabbed that. That was one of 2 high ticket items, the other being dairy free kefir, just cultured coconut water.

On the way home I stopped at CVS to get some acetaminophen... have had a gnarley headache and leg aches, and held off for a long time but it was really getting to me. I had not even a whisper of temptation for all the sugar lining the joint.

Came home, put groceries away, ate M2, and went down to search for eggs. I searched all their usual spots, found 4 in 4 different places, one in a new place, deep in a large bush under part of the deck. Walked through the gauntlet of our 9 active hives, and tried to search the bamboo at the back of our yard, but it was getting dark and I had to stop. The search continues. It's a good functional workout because it's under a large multi-level wooden structure on a steep hill overgrown with various plants including century plants galore, which have very sharp spikes to be avoided at all costs, so there's a lot of stretching, weird bending, reaching, pushing off and balancing... my joints feel a lot looser.

I have been listening to paleo podcasts, learning a lot about autoimmune issues, and generally expanding my horizons. Feeling very positive, motivated and inspired.

Archived