Rotisserie Chicken?

the_wendy_house

Our supermarkets do them and they're stuffed with Whole30 baddies and often have flour on the skin outside. Some may also have butter or other things used in cooking.

You could ask your supermarket (if they have them), ours actually had a nutrition thingy I could look at. The free range chicken was better, but stuffed with rice.

If you really love them and have a local indy place, ask if they can make you a naked one.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but in the US, the ingredients must be listed somewhere on the label that comes with the chicken when you purchase it. Whole Foods has a few compliant ones (i know the "naked" variety is one, and maybe salt and pepper was the other? But other ones have canola oil, etc. :angry: I had trouble finding the ingredients on the label but I got a manager out there to help point it out to me.

I haven't tried this recipe yet but have several friends that have given it rave reviews. Seems like an easy way to make rotisserie chicken at home, and you can cook up several at a time and freeze to have on hand. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.food.com/...ky-chicken-8782

I'm always looking for new "whole chicken" recipes. Thanks!

Also, you can just season the chicken however you want and toss it in the crockpot for a few hours (4-5 hours on high, 6-7 on low). Veggies can be added to the crock or cooked on the side.

My favorite way to do chicken now is ---

preheat oven to 450 (230), place chicken on baking rack--I like to put veggies in the bottom of pan--and liberally salt the chicken with sea salt or kosher salt--let the salt rain down on the chicken. Put it in the oven for 1 hour. I do two at a time, so I let mine go for 90 minutes. Pull the chickens out of the oven and let rest for 20 minutes. During that time, I put the veg back in the oven so it can get crispier.

No oil, no other seasonings, no icky stuff. Some of the best chicken I have ever had. Juicy, flavorful... and if you want crispier skin, you can salt it the day before, place it in the bottom of your fridge and let the skin dry out more and ohhh so good. I have read somewhere, when I was starting out with moving away from the SAD diet about a gal who would let her chicken sit for up to 3 days that way! I haven't been brave enough to try it--but I just might!

Our regular grocery store used to carry chickens from local farms and they were compliant. But, they switched to Tyson. I haven't read the ingredient list yet. I've gone back to making my own. I've been baking mine in the pampered chef deep covered baker. I take the lid off at the end to crisp the skin. It comes out great.

Covered or uncovered?

My favorite way to do chicken now is ---

preheat oven to 450 (230), place chicken on baking rack--I like to put veggies in the bottom of pan--and liberally salt the chicken with sea salt or kosher salt--let the salt rain down on the chicken. Put it in the oven for 1 hour. I do two at a time, so I let mine go for 90 minutes. Pull the chickens out of the oven and let rest for 20 minutes. During that time, I put the veg back in the oven so it can get crispier.

No oil, no other seasonings, no icky stuff. Some of the best chicken I have ever had. Juicy, flavorful... and if you want crispier skin, you can salt it the day before, place it in the bottom of your fridge and let the skin dry out more and ohhh so good. I have read somewhere, when I was starting out with moving away from the SAD diet about a gal who would let her chicken sit for up to 3 days that way! I haven't been brave enough to try it--but I just might!

WF may not sprinkle with anything but I think they are all injected. Sprouts too. The problem is they have to way overcook them to satisfy the health dept so without the injectibles, it would be like sawdust. Plus they have to hold it for hours under heat lamps..uber sawdust. Sad but true. It's nearly impossible to get the true story because the chickens arrive that way. So, the people working the deli don't know.

I haven't tried this recipe yet but have several friends that have given it rave reviews. Seems like an easy way to make rotisserie chicken at home, and you can cook up several at a time and freeze to have on hand. Hope this helps!

http://www.food.com/recipe/roast-sticky-chicken-8782

I just bought 4 beautiful chickens on sale. I can't wait to try this method.

I think I've posted this before but I used to fuss with all kinds of herbs and rubs and roasted veggies with my chickens until someone showed me this. It is SO EASY. Just chicken and salt and it comes out perfectly everytime with super crispy skin.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/My-Favorite-Simple-Roast-Chicken-231348

I like that one too Johnny. Ever since you posted that, I totally grab the wing tips right out of the oven. Cook's treat. :)

Archived