Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

I'm sorry that you had to hear those rude people complaining about your class.  People get used to certain instructors, I think.  They should still be polite about it.

Thanks for the recap of your 21 day detox.  Sorry it wasn't a life changer.  I like your plan for going forward.

Yes some people just really don't like change. They really didn't say anything bad about me personally it was more about the content I taught. Oh well. 

I don't think I was expecting it to be a life changer. I was just curious about going a little more low carb. I like my plan going forward to and have been formulating it for the past 21 days. ;)

I forgot to add that for meal planning I'm going to pick one book a week and try to plan for enough dinner each night for leftovers for lunch and leftover veggies to add to breakfast eggs. Going to go back to simple quick breakfasts for weekdays and save recipe breakfasts for weekends. Finishing out this week in the 21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook. Next week is going to be NomNomPaleo's book.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a bunch of short ribs in my freezer because I had planned on making the Korean Short Ribs in December and then kept being too busy to make them. I think that will be the first meal I make. :) I might have to make the crispy smashed chicken too. Sounds delish. 

It sounds like you have a couple of lessons learned from the 21 days and a good plan going forward.  Trying to make dinner on the nights you teach sounds like way too much!

Yes. I've also found that I can't really eat dinner before I teach (even though I can before a workout in the same time slot weird). I'm fine with the scrounge meals instead and always try and keep something like that around (will probably restock my hot dogs this week and I made my last grass fed burger last night). Last night wasn't a teaching night I just hadn't originally planned on staying at work that late. Definitely need to do a better job of planning around my schedule. Because I'm a sub though the teaching thing is often last minute. I do know when the class slots are possibilities so I could plan as if I might have to teach. Definitely stuff to think about.

Agree with Sara - I like having a few tupperwares of leftovers in the freezer.  My fallback (at least when I can talk myself out of a banana and SB) is salad, tuna, avocado.  Easy peasy. :)

Yup I keep stuff in the freezer but often forget what is there.  :rolleyes: I want to start keeping an inventory but I need to clear some stuff out first and see what's what. I usually keep individual burgers in there and I like to have the good hot dogs. Those are my go to I don't want to cook meals. Trader Joe's has not had the tuna I like (yellowfin in olive oil) and haven't found a good replacement. Canned tuna and salmon is something I would actually like to have on my subscribe and save with Amazon if I can find the ones I want.

I saw yellowtail yesterday at TJs, but they are out of many of my staples.  They (at least in MN) are having distribution problems right now.  I tell you, I may be able to live without coconut milk but if they run out of sunbutter, the world will end (at least for the 9yo)! :)

Good morning! Finally found the time to make the beef & bacon cottage pie last night and it was so worth the time and effort. I did feel a little heart burn after I ate it but I think I also ate it too fast as it finished cooking about 15 minutes before I needed to leave. I think next time I'm in this situation on a Wednesday night I'll just package it up and take it with me and eat during our social time at the beginning of community group. Was a little more productive at work and had a nice walk with my friend to and from Starbucks. Run felt slow on my tired legs but I got through it. Went to bed a bit later than I wanted but have been sleeping better though still waking up a couple of times. Probably about 7 hours though which is good. Going to do 2 mile run this morning (despite the cold...brrr) and BodyPump tonight.

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: breakfast sausage and biscuit sandwich (21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook), raw kraut, baby carrots, 12 oz black coffee

Exercise: 3 mile easy run (pace was slower but stayed in HR zone for most part...pace could be off because no auto stop/start on the mode I'm using to keep myself in a HR zone and I had to wait for 2 longish lights)

Post W/O: smoothie with pumpkin, honey, whey protein, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and water - so filling!

M2: mustard glazed chicken thighs (21 Day Sugar Detox), sprint mix salad with purchased dressing (compliant but uses safflower oil) and mayo and sliced apple (and not a green one...yay!)

Exercise/Snack: Walk to and from Starbucks (~1.5 miles round trip), tall Americano with a very little bit of half and half and cinnamon - does this break my own rule about dairy being limited to meals? probably does...hrm

M3: beef and bacon cottage pie, 8 oz kombucha while I cooked - probably should have had another veggie with this 

Before Bed: Eating Evolved turkish fit and mint dark chocolate truffle, cup of herbal tea

What a crazy busy good month you've had.  You're doing good exercising and teaching.  You've been trying new recipes and you slept decently.  AND, you haven't been talking about the cough for a bit.  Hopefully all those things continue into February.  I have a friend who has the NomNom book and says it's fantastic.  I like the idea of trying out a book for a month.

I think I would get bored with a book a month and I have so many that I would feel like I'm leaving some out. ;) So going to do a book a week just to make meal planning more focused. Right now almost all of my books are out on my kitchen table from my last meal planning session in December (I really should put those away). That also lets me leave the same book in the cookbook holder all week. :)

Yes the cough seems to be gone but I feel like everyone around me keeps getting sick so I'm trying not to get cocky. Still waking up a bit congested. I need to clean my humidifier. I stopped using it because it sounded like it had water in the motor. 

Feeling rather out of it this morning. I slept from like 11-6:30 but not without waking up. And I am congested this morning (and coughing...thanks for suggesting that Emma ;)

Yesterday was a pretty good day. Was productive at work, ate well, had good workouts. Perhaps sat around in my workout clothes too long after pump last night. Perhaps should have gone to bed instead of watching an episode of Arrow. 

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: breakfast sausage and biscuit sandwich, cucumber slices, mayo, kraut, 12 oz black coffee, 12 oz black tea

Exercise: Easy Run 2 mi (pace was much better because I stopped/started the timer when I had to wait for long lights to cross streets...I don't care about the stops out of my control...I want to know how fast I am actually running.)

Post WO: Shake - 1/2 can pumpkin, 1 cup water, ~1Tbs honey, 3 Tbs Whey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, vanilla

8 oz cup of coffee when I got to work

M2: 2 mustard glazed chicken thighs (21 Day Sugar Detox), spring mix salad with purchased dressing (compliant but uses safflower oil) and sliced apple, mint coconut butter cup - took a short walk afterwards to soak up some much needed sun

Afternoon sips: chai tea, 8 oz kombucha

M3: beef and bacon cottage pie (21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook)

Exercise: BodyPump 88 

Post WO: Shake - 1/2 can pumpkin, 1 cup water, ~1Tbs honey, 2 Tbs Whey, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, vanilla

herbal tea before bed.

Sorry you aren't feeling great, boo.  Winter!

I cannot find unsweetened sunbutter.  I've checked everywhere locally.  And when I look on Amazon, you have to buy 6 jars.  I'm not sure I want 6 jars!

I'm wondering if I didn't drink enough water yesterday. I woke up feeling really dehydrated. I'm going to start tracking water intake in my food journal (been keeping a paper one with more details to try and make better connections).

Hmmm...I bought mine at my food co-op and have not even gone through the first jar yet. I don't think I bought the sunbutter brand but I don't remember. Not even Whole Foods?

I wish there were a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's anywhere close to me.  I think the closest of either one is 1 1/2 hours away.  I'm pretty lucky with our local Wegman's - they have a big organic section, but not everything.

Hrm...not as familiar with East Coast stores anymore...what else do you have nearby? I do miss Wegman's...many fond college memories of being there in the middle of the night for study snacks and/or alcohol.  :rolleyes: Of course the things I bought there would make this version of myself shutter. Looking back it is not at all surprising how huge I was when I graduated college.

I cooked from a cookbook a month a couple years ago as a NYR.  It was great to go through some of my cookbooks and try new recipes.  I love cookbooks, but tend to forget about them and use mostly new recipes from the internet.  It was a good goal.  I should do that again.  Maybe I'll do my new (autographed!!!) Bobby Flay cookbook for Feb. :)

Sara - make your own!  Just put sunflower seeds in the food processor and run it until they are creamy.  You can add a touch of oil to get it going if it's too hard to get smooth.  Voila!  No sugar.  I'd do that, but my 9yo likes the sugar SB.  Unfortunately, so do I. Sigh.

I am SO glad we finally got Wegmans.  They really do have a lot of great stuff and their produce lasts double the time of Giant.  Ha, my freshman year of college I had cheese steaks three or four times a week, hated the cafeteria, hello freshman 15 (or 30!).

Jen - I really need to invest in a food processor.  The tiny one I had would make a tablespoon of butter, and I don't even know if it has the power to really break something down.

What does everyone have for a food processor?  (maybe I should take this to my own log...)

I have a kitchenaid food processor and I like it for most things but when I tried to make coconut butter with it it overheated and never really did get it to the consistency I wanted. The plastic on the handle is broken now (after 5+ years of use) and is starting to cut my hand so I need to look into getting that part replaced. It's so useful though as it has shredding and slicing blades and a feeder tube (that I wish was round instead of oval). It also has a smaller bowl that fits on top for when I don't need the whole thing. I use that for dicing things while I'm cooking because I can't dice by hand. 

I actually did better in college when I was on campus on the meal plan. My senior year my go to meal was white instant rice with cheese melted on top and fat free breaded frozen chicken tenders. Yum.  :rolleyes: I also got chicken tenders and curly fries from the campus food court almost every day. It is no wonder I was wearing a size 24 (26?) pants and 2x shirts when I graduated. 

Aside from feeling like I was getting sick all day yesterday it was a decent day. Got a lot of work done, had a good CXWORX class, got my produce all put away, and my meal plan is ready for next week. Made breakfast for dinner because I didn't feel like anything else last night and did acv tea to hopefully eliminate the cough. Stayed up too late watching tv but probably lights out around midnight and I woke up around 8 (turned my alarm off last night). Woke a couple of times in the night and resisted looking at the time. Debating my run today as I don't want to make my cold worse. Husband's fancy holiday party is tonight and I'm determined to go and enjoy it. Gluten will probably be worth it tonight. Last time they had a to die for macaroni and cheese and I might need to have some. I won't eat 2 big platefuls like last time but I might have a scoop to savor.

Food/Exercise Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed chard (not lovely but I ate it), 2 strips of bacon, 12 oz black coffee with gelatin, 12 oz black tea

Exercise: CXWORX (1/2 hour)

M2: beef and bacon cottage pie (21 Day Sugar Detox Cookbook), spring mix salad with purchased dressing (compliant but uses safflower oil) and sliced apple

Afternoon: 8 oz black coffee, 8 oz kombucha, mint coconut butter cup (eating evolved), 12 oz black tea

M3: 4 fried eggs over shredded sweet potato sauteed in bacon fat with salt, cinnamon, and garlic powder, 3 strips of bacon

Evening: 3 kiwi, 2 cups of acv tea with honey

Plain water for the day was 48 ounces. Hrm...not enough. I'm feeling a bit swollen today (can't get my rings off) so need to be mindful about getting more water in.

Morning folks. Had a nice sleep in this morning so probably mustered at least 8 hours. Woke up coughing still and wasn't pleased to see it was not clear (sorry for the visual). Canceled our plans with our friends tonight which is a bummer. They are so sweet though, she came by on their way to church and dropped off a little get well packet with a mug, honey, tea, and lemons. Hopefully another day of rest will kick this to the curb. I need to make sure I get my food/health journal updated and include this in it. Need to see if I can figure out why I keep relapsing. I'm starting to suspect over training could be the culprit which is a bummer indeed. May see if husband still wants to order pizza tonight (that was the plan with the friends) as that is what I meal planned for. Need to defrost my short ribs and get the Korean short ribs from Nom Nom going in the crock pot for dinner tomorrow. 

Read this awesome article this morning. Love it! http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/01/25/how-to-instantly-love-yourself-more/

Not too much else to report. It is cool and sunny here again today. A little bummed to not be able to go for a run in the sun.

Food Yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with kale, bacon, 24 oz black coffee with gelatin (decided ok on weekends...back to 12 on weekdays), raw fermented carrots

M2: 2 lamb burgres, spring mix with dressing, mint and fig dark chocolate truffle, couple bites of bacon

M3: PARTY! a biggish scoop of macaroni and cheese, a scoop of gnocchi, a pile of green beans (only other vegetable was a roasted mix with red peppers in it so I didn't have that), tiny scoop of tomato risotto which I took a bit of and decided I didn't like so didn't finish it, small scoop of garlic mashed potatoes, 2 large shrimp, 3 or 4 steak medallions (SO YUM), small piece of garlic bread (not really worth it) Dessert was probably a bit much for me: bananas foster with vanilla ice cream (so ridiculously sweet), a chocolate truffle that could have been my only desert as it was the best thing I had, bites of several mini cakes, decaf coffee

Hindsight on the party - wish I had stuck to more meat and just chosen one dessert but overall it could have been much worse. Last time I attended the party at this restaurant I think I had several large platefuls of the mac and cheese.

Archived