Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bethany- are you sure you aren't reacting to Dairy? It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure my reaction includes post-nasal drip/clogged sinuses/sore throat...

I have not been able to make any tight correlation between dairy and my sinuses. In fact I've had far less dairy in the past few days then I did the entirety of the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Until last night just butter for cooking really and the cough started coming back on Friday morning. Sugar is of course on the suspect list as I went back to having a normal apple every day, occasional honey, and some chocolate on Wednesday. But I also hadn't had a rest day in two weeks before yesterday and did a lot of doubles last week. It seems like I know a lot of people (especially at the gym) that keep going through sick cycles as well.

I've also wondered if maybe I'm not actually getting better in between but just feeling better enough. All hard to tell. 

ok, that doesn't sound like it then (I was just guessing  :) ). I hope you feel better soon!

Me too! I'm supposed to teach tomorrow night and I've actually had work to do at work the past few days. 

You know as much as I like dairy I was hoping that cutting it out would eliminate my sinus symptoms as I struggle with year round allergies. I do think Paleo eating makes them better but I suspect that being more disciplined about keeping my environments cleaner (dust, etc) would help even more.

Was going to skip the grocery store but just realized I have nothing to eat in the morning so I'm going out to get food now despite my coughing. 

In other news the gal that was teaching the Monday night class decided she had too much on her plate and my manager gave the class to me so I'll be teaching every Monday at 7pm from now on. Yay!

I think you need to take a week off hard workouts (prob have to teach and maybe some easy walks, but no running or BP or anything tough) and get lots of sleep and rest (no late nights!) and healthy foods to kick this thing to the curb.  That's my guess.  Feel better!

Good morning folks. I am feeling a little better this morning. I turned my alarm off and slept until 8 again. I probably was in bed reading until 11:30. Woke several times in the night (so much tea and hot lemon water yesterday).Still coughing but my throat doesn't feel as sore today. Going to take at least another day off running today. I'm going to take each day as it comes and see what happens. Am committed to teach tonight. Husband and I ordered pizza yesterday (gluten free for me) and I nommed on that all day. Today will be more on track. I have NomNomPaleo Korean Short Ribs in the slow cooker. I hope they came out ok as I only had half the called for coconut aminos and the meat has been in the freezer a long time. We'll see tonight I guess. Meant to try and get some housework done yesterday but we ended up gaming all day.

Food Yesterday

M1: 4 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, bacon, black coffee (24oz) with gelatin

M2-M3: Gluten free pizza with spinach, basil, roasted garlic, red onion, chicken, olive oil instead of sauce, mozzarella

Drank lots of tea and hot water with lemon and honey yesterday.

Not a bad day yesterday. Rolled into the office kind of late as I had trouble getting moving in the morning. Got some work done and took care of my long expired car tabs  :rolleyes: and an oil change. My class was great but then I was wired and didn't start falling asleep on my book until around midnight. Slept until 8:30 probably waking a few times. Woke up feeling very stuffed and coughing again. I might stay home today and try and clean/rest. I think it is time to give my sleeping environment a good cleaning and see if that helps. My kitchen is out of control again too. No workout today which bums me out. *sigh*

Food/Movment Yesterday:

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, 2 strips bacon, 12 oz black coffee with gelatin, orange

8 oz black coffee when I got to work

M2: beef and bacon shepherd's pie, spring mix and sliced apple salad with dressing

tall Americano while I waited for my oil change (this could be why it took so long to fall asleep), 8 oz kombucha, herbal tea

pre-class: 2 fried eggs (I had funny tummy before teaching like I always do so didn't want to eat a full meal)

Exercise: teach WIM 

M3: korean short ribs (Nomnompaleo Food For Humans), 1/2 can sweet potato puree with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a handful of shredded coconut

Such good meals you make - I wish I was your neighbor!

Yeah, the colds going around really are a drag and the allergy triggers are a drag as well.  Why can't our bodies just be healthy!  I keep telling myself that I'd be far worse if I weren't eating well and that's most likely pretty true.  Cleaning up the sleeping environment is a pretty good idea - I know under our bed could use a good vacuuming and I know I breathe better when there is less dust.  Good luck with your day - hope your cough and congestion passes quickly.

Remind me when you moved?  Did you start getting sick after moving or before?  Could there be a connection?

We moved in September. So coincided with general weather changes too and the move was quite stressful. I'll have to scroll back through and see when I first started getting the cough. 

So I ended up at work yesterday anyway. Had to go in and deal with something for a customer. Felt better most of the day but when I went home I didn't feel up to cleaning/cooking. I probably should have done something anyway. Watching tv wasn't helpful. I was up way late too because I kept falling asleep on my book but when I turned the light out I couldn't fall back asleep. Didn't help that our downstairs neighbor had their bathroom fan on and it was driving me crazy. Probably slept something like 1:30-8 with some dozing between 12 and 1. Actually feeling a bit better today. I slept pretty soundly so had a lot built up in my throat but doesn't seem as bad. I'm also chain sneezing today which for me is usually a sign that its almost over. 

Food Yesterday:

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, bacon, 12 oz black coffee with gelatin, orange

8oz coffee when I got to work

M2: korean short ribs (Nomnompaleo Food For Humans), spring mix and sliced apple salad with dressing, mint dark chocolate coconut butter cup

lots of cups of tea from a single pumpkin spice roobios tea bag

8 oz kombucha

M3: 2 grassfed hotdogs with mayo, raw fermented carrots

lots of cups of tea from a single chamomile tea bag, maple bacon mocha truffle (eating evovled) - I regretted eating that almost as soon as it was done, broke my one treat a day rule and wasn't worth it

Fans drive me absolutely batty!!!  I can't stand the sound of them at all.  

The sneezes and the cold thing is funny - Do you ever pull your nose hairs to make yourself sneeze?  If I'm coughing, I can pull nose hairs which triggers sneezing and then sometimes the coughing stops.  It's as if the sneezing is more effective at clearing things out from the depths of my upper respiratory system.  Worked last night like a charm.  :)

Fans drive me absolutely batty!!!  I can't stand the sound of them at all.  

The sneezes and the cold thing is funny - Do you ever pull your nose hairs to make yourself sneeze?  If I'm coughing, I can pull nose hairs which triggers sneezing and then sometimes the coughing stops.  It's as if the sneezing is more effective at clearing things out from the depths of my upper respiratory system.  Worked last night like a charm.   :)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The only thing that could make this image better is if I actually knew what you looked like. I can honestly say I have never tried this. I do agree that the sneezing gets things out better. I think I had 2 rounds of sneezing like 6-10 times in a row this morning and I'm feeling a lot better now. One more day of no gym and then I'm going to try BodyJam (like a hip hop class) tomorrow and see how it goes.

Our downstairs half bath's fan is so loud, I swear it is like a jumbo jet at takeoff.  It is good for disguising noises, not so good for letting me sleep in on the weekend.

I have also never heard of the nose hair sneezing trick.  Another thing I'm not sure I can picture myself doing.   :lol:

Hope you are feeling all better today (fingers crossed)!

I am actually feeling a lot better today. Wouldn't say I'm 100% but I think I'm going to go to the class I planned for at the gym and see how it goes. I also woke up at 6:30 today instead of 8:30 (though I went to sleep around midnight still I think...hrm). We'll just see how it goes.

Had grand plans of leaving work early yesterday so I could come home and clean the kitchen and cook the dinner I meant to cook Tuesday. Ended up working right up until I needed to leave for community group so had more of my lunch for dinner.  :rolleyes: Plan today is to go in and finish some work this morning, go to my 11am class, come home and cook/clean the kitchen, eat lunch, do some more cleaning , and then go back to work. We have company coming tonight but as far as I know I should be able to finish my big work this morning (I should get going). 

Food Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs, 1 small delicata squash roasted with coconut butter (vanilla cake batter flavor from Nikki's), black coffee (12 oz)

M2: 2 grassfed hot dogs, mayo, sugar snap peas, raw fermented carrots, dark chocolate mint coconut butter cup

tall Americano from starbucks

M3: same as meal 2 minus the treat

8 oz komubucha

M4?: 2 strips bacon, 1 fried egg (I was hungry when I got home from CG)

spoonful of almond butter around 11ish. Not sure what was up with me last night, very rarely do stuff like that, but I woke up hungry at 6:30.

I'm so glad you feel better.  I hope it lasts! 

I hope you get your work done, cleaning done and cooking done so you can enjoy your company.

Too funny about the nose hair pulling!  I've never heard of that.

I hope you got everything accomplished you wanted to yesterday, sounds like a lot to pack in!  The busy day or getting over your sickness may have increased your appetite.  Or maybe it is all the talk in my journal about snacking!  :D

Hope the feeling better continues!

Not too bad of a day yesterday. BodyJam was so very fun! I will definitely go again at some point. Ended up coming home, showering, and then going straight to work so I ate that same meal for a 3rd time. Got my work done. Went home early and got everything done. I was kind of hungry when I got home but I kept pushing through my chores. I think I should have taken the time to eat something because I had a headache for most of the evening even though I was stuffed with dinner. Oversalted my mashed cauliflower which was a bummer. And I again proved I'm not much of a baker. Tried to make the scones from NomNomPaleo and my dough was much stickier than hers looked in the pictures so I couldn't actually separate the scones. Not sure where I went wrong with that. I baked them anyway and then separated them and let them sit longer in the warm oven. They tasted fine even if they were not the correct shape really.  :rolleyes: Stayed up too late as I was restless, headachy, and a little sore (booty shaking hurts!). Did my 50 second plank (I've been slacking on a challenge) with my husband watching the timer for me. Shakey. Probably fell asleep around midnight and woke around 7 without an alarm. This morning I went to Bootcamp which was super hard. So of course I went to CXWorx 30 minutes later.  :rolleyes:  And then practiced my WIM stuff because I'm not feeling really prepared for teaching next week yet (better now). By the time I showered and got dressed it was almost 1 so I stopped and got some Thai food because I knew I needed starch and all I had was canned pumpkin and canned sweet potato which didn't sound tempting. I do have a delicata squash but that takes time. Perhaps that will be consumed with dinner tonight. Have a little work to do and then out to the farm to pick up my CSA. Meal planning and hopefully some more tidying up tonight. 

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs over bok choy sauteed in bacon fat, 2 strips bacon, 12 oz black coffee

8 oz black coffee when I got to work

Exercise: BodyJam (1 hr)

M2: 2 grassfed hot dogs, mayo, sugar snap peas, raw fermented carrots, dark chocolate mint coconut butter cup (should not have had the chocolate as I made dessert for our company...oops)

8 oz kombucha

M3: Slow Cooker Kalua Pig (NomNomPaleo Cookbook), mayo, garlic mashed cauliflower, romaine salad with store bought caesar (canola oil, bad choice but I didn't feel like making it, no soy at least), chocolate cherry scones (NomNomPaleo Cookbook)

Slow start this morning because I collapsed on the couch and watched tv way too late last night.  :rolleyes: Pretty sore from my workouts yesterday. Going to try and take it easy today. Want to get our budget back into shape (possible financial changes coming), get my meal planning done, kitchen cleaned, and some laundry. Anything beyond that today will be considered bonus. I'm pretty unimpressed with my CSA this week. I have romaine lettuce coming out of my ears. I'm going to have to buy some sweet potato and/or squash this week or actually make my post workout smoothies with the canned stuff or I'm not going to survive my workouts/teaching. I got 4 of the smallest beets I've ever seen. Lots of greens attached but I never end up cooking those so I tossed them. 

Volunteering for kids ministry tonight at the Saturday service and then if I'm not too tired might go to a game night with some friends. We'll see how it goes. Slept probably 1am - 8am? Woke up at some point after a pretty realistic stress dream about teaching. Didn't get changed fast enough, person I was teaching with started without me, and while I was changing I realized that they were teaching a different track list than I learned. Woke up as the entire pool and tons of people outside the pool were breaking out in chorus and dance to Katy Perry's "Roar". It was very weird.

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1: 3 fried eggs over bok choy sauteed in bacon fat, bacon, 12 oz black coffee with gelatin

Exercise: 1 hr boot camp, 30 minute break, 30 min CXWORX, ~30 minutes WIM practice

M2: Thai takeout - beef and broccoli garlic dish with white rice (breaking my grains for social eating only rule :rolleyes: ), chocolate cherry scone, 8 oz kombucha

Snack: apple (I was headachy and tired but wasn't really hungry enough to eat yet...breaking my no fruit between meals rule  :rolleyes:

M3: Leftover Kalua pig and coleslaw (really just cabbage in coleslaw dressing...not too mind blowing) and mayo. 

Another scone (breaking my 1 treat a day rule...*sigh* quite the rule breaker yesterday)

I think I would have been better served yesterday by just going to bed around 8pm as I was tired and headachy.

Yesterday was kind of a train wreck. They happen I suppose. Spent most of the day working on the budget (still work to do). Finally took a shower around 3:30 and then quickly gulped a 2nd meal (should have taken a break). Only had 2 kids for kids ministry which was nice because I had a pounding headache all day. Decided to go to game night anyway and got coffee to try and wake up/cure the headache. Ordered food from the food court that was just crappy (bringing my own next time). Caved to some ice cream that was kind of worth it...more worth it than my dinner was. Did have a lot of fun once I got the coffee in my system and we started playing a game that made sense. One round of ticket to ride with only half the train cards (my friend who set it up left half the cards in the box by accident....made for a complicated game). Then I bought a game called Firefly:Into the Black which was rather fun once we figured out the rules properly. Came home and was then pretty awake. Flipped through the cookbook I plan to plan from this week ("Make It Paleo") and read until about 3 in the morning. Finished the 3rd book in the Vampire Academy series. Finally got to sleep and managed to sleep in until 9:30 or so. Woke up a few times but went right back to sleep. Need to get my kitchen in order and cook something to take with me tonight instead of participate in the post church superbowl potluck. Today needs to be a compliant day.

Food Yesterday:

M1: 3 eggs scrambled with sauteed kale, bacon, 24 oz black coffee with gelatin, orange

M2: kalua pig, coleslaw and sliced apple with additional mayo

tall americano

M3: burger with blue cheese, "garlic" fries (the burger was dry and overcooked and the fries just had some sort of garlic powder sprinkled on them yuck)

small mint ice cream with oreo cookie from cold stone (my friend was going to get ice cream and asked if I wanted some and she was in a hurry before the mall closed so I didn't think this through...it was worth it though I think)

Archived