Confused - Sulfites in Balsamic Vinegar

What is the consensus on balsamic vinegar? It's listed as okay - but sulfites are on the banned list. Some of them show nothing in the ingredients list but still warn "contains sulfites". There are no added sugars so I thought I was safe. Clarification is welcome =)

EDIT: <doh> found another thread w/answer - so okay if not added ingredient

Aargh! Just looked and both the balsamic and sherry (my current fave) vinegars in my pantry contain sulfites.  And it hadn't occurred to me when I order a salad out and ask for oil and vinegar, it might have sulfites in it.  I guess I'm doomed to buy new bottles and to only use lemon when eating out of the house.   :( Has anyone find a compliant sherry vinegar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trezk, that is a good question I am thinking that wine is out on period so anything made with wine is a no no. I could be wrong but I think avoiding it along with malt vinegar is the way to go. I doubt that the process to make white wine vinegar is going to rid the problematic ingredients to make it compliant.

Trezk, that is a good question I am thinking that wine is out on period so anything made with wine is a no no. I could be wrong but I think avoiding it along with malt vinegar is the way to go. I doubt that the process to make white wine vinegar is going to rid the problematic ingredients to make it compliant.

So I'm guessing the same goes for White Wine Vinegar???

White wine vinegar is fine on a Whole30. Malt vinegar and vinegars with added sulfites are the only ones not allowed.

• 2 years later...

I'm reviving this forum thread because I need a bit of clarification and hope you can help. I understand balsamic vinegars have naturally occurring sulfites but I would like to know how to tell the difference between added sulfites and the natural types.  I believe if the label says "may contain sulfites", 'contains sulfites" or 'naturally occurring sulfites" they are compliant, but if "sulfites" is listed as an ingredient they are not compliant. Do all Organic balsamic vinegars only have natural sulfites? (I'd still read the label)  I feel like I'm really stuck on this, and really I could just forgo this product for the 30 days if I can't find a compatible one. 

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

I believe if the label says "may contain sulfites", 'contains sulfites" or 'naturally occurring sulfites" they are compliant, but if "sulfites" is listed as an ingredient they are not compliant. Do all Organic balsamic vinegars only have natural sulfites? 

This is correct. 

I would hesitate to make any statement about "all organic balsamic...." organic just means they didn't put pesticides on the grapes, not that they didn't add the sulfites during processing of the final product.  Always read the labels. :)

2 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

I'm reviving this forum thread because I need a bit of clarification and hope you can help. I understand balsamic vinegars have naturally occurring sulfites but I would like to know how to tell the difference between added sulfites and the natural types.  I believe if the label says "may contain sulfites", 'contains sulfites" or 'naturally occurring sulfites" they are compliant, but if "sulfites" is listed as an ingredient they are not compliant. Do all Organic balsamic vinegars only have natural sulfites? (I'd still read the label)  I feel like I'm really stuck on this, and really I could just forgo this product for the 30 days if I can't find a compatible one. 

There's no reason to avoid balsamic vinegar during your Whole30! There are loads of compliant balsamic vinegars, at all price levels, and balsamic vinegar can be a great flavor enhancer. Just read the label and check the INGREDIENTS list.

• 1 year later...

Archived