The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a long week for me.  It was tough getting through days 8-10 in cohoots with PMS!  But I think I made it through.  Day 11 for me, I was able to get out of bed at a reasonable time this morning (it's the weekend for me) without feeling like I was in a fog.  I'm hoping I've made it through the tough part.  I think the Whole30 is like childbirth, you forget all the pain and labor from your 1st and just remember the joy and rewards.  So when you start your 2nd or 3rd or whichever, you forget the struggle you go through initially. 

Hope everyone out there is having a fabulous Friday!!

:P

Dave- cherry bbq sauce sounds goood!!!

I'm gonna make mayo this weekend, too. It's been a while since I've made it so I'm kinda pumped. Hopefully I will have time after work today to go grocery shopping. There's a storm coming (I think? Forecast keeps changing) and I'd rather not be holed up with nothing but veggie scraps and eggs  ;)

Love the weekends because I have time to cook something special like a roast or an all-day sauce or soup. Gonna hit Pinterest for some inspo, but that cherry bbq sauce might be something to consider! :)

All -  restless night tossing and turning with a shoulder that feels like it is being held on by a few strands of muscle and tissue. Had a doctors appointment to day and he said....."yep......its getting worse!" Well, that was comforting....I would have never guessed that! Anyway, hope everyone is doing alright. We are almost half-way thru this already and it will continue to get easier but offer some challenges too. Don't back down from a challenge! As I tell my co-workers...."I'm handing out free ass-whoopins in the parking lot at noon....get on the list early and often!"

Need to  make more mayo and cherry BBQ sauce this weekend. Saturday is the last of the duck season and the weather is supposed to be bad.....or ducky! Brian and I will wear our rubber underwear because of the heavy rain and try to finish the season with a ....BANG! The rest of the weekend will be devoted to laying around and napping...................WRONG! I have two shower faucets to rebuild, pull the seats out of the '66 Comet and put insulation blankets under the carpet, rake some leaves, burn some brush, walk the dog(s), and clean...CLEAN....CLEAN! As a matter of fact, clean a vehicle this weekend, that will be your chore....and do a really good job! Make it look like new again! Then take a long walk......at least 30 minutes.

DO IT!

Dave

Yes Sir!

Hi, everyone - a little late here but I'm on board.  I just saw the post today about this group being revived.

I've had a few failures with my January 2015 Whole30 and am happy to jump on here if that's ok.  For those who don't remember me, I am an emergency veterinarian and work overnights on weekends.  I have two special needs ADHD children that I try to keep Paleo when their meals are under my control.  I commute hundreds of miles per week, between my home in LA, my friend's house where my kids and I live during the week for their special school, and my job 100 miles away in Bakersfield that works with my childcare obligations.  I've been doing Whole30s since 9/13.  My most successful Whole30 was the one with this group in January 2014. 

I had to live in a hotel over the summer because of some smoke damage to our house, and I put the weight back on that I had lost and kept off successfully for almost a year.  So I'm back trying to stick to a whole30, including the exercise component, but have had a really tough time staying on the wagon.

Today is Day 1 for me after a fail yesterday at day 20.

ok so I made popcorn for family movie night and chocolate chip brownies; special treats for the kids;  where does that leave me???  I already had my date today, i usually do allow myself 1 per day...... and I'm a big fan of salty savory snacks anyway..... right about now I feel like: enough with this food denial and I'm ready for reintroduction..... my eggs are missing their cheese; I could use a little carbs REAL CARBS here or there, and  a pack of potato chips would feel so good........ I think my body composition is changing for the worse along with my skin and thighs...... if one more person tells me how good I look, and "you lost so much weight" I might smack them; I still have a big round belly; my hunger is much more 'level' and so is my blood sugar; except that it's still elevated in the AM.... my gym also got a fancy body fat calculator and I made the mistake of doing that;  totally disappointing.  are we allowed to eat seaweed?  that's just a vegetable of the sea, right????? help! it's about to turn into the snack zone here!

• Administrators

ok so I made popcorn for family movie night and chocolate chip brownies; special treats for the kids;  where does that leave me???  I already had my date today, i usually do allow myself 1 per day...... and I'm a big fan of salty savory snacks anyway..... right about now I feel like: enough with this food denial and I'm ready for reintroduction..... my eggs are missing their cheese; I could use a little carbs REAL CARBS here or there, and  a pack of potato chips would feel so good........ I think my body composition is changing for the worse along with my skin and thighs...... if one more person tells me how good I look, and "you lost so much weight" I might smack them; I still have a big round belly; my hunger is much more 'level' and so is my blood sugar; except that it's still elevated in the AM.... my gym also got a fancy body fat calculator and I made the mistake of doing that;  totally disappointing.  are we allowed to eat seaweed?  that's just a vegetable of the sea, right????? help! it's about to turn into the snack zone here!

You are allowed to eat seaweed (assuming all the ingredients are compliant) but mindless hand-to-mouth eating is discouraged.

Can you post a few days of food, fluids, sleep, exercise and stress (including portions of food and fluids) in the Troubleshooting section?  It sounds to me like a couple things may be happening: lack of starchy veggies, lack of suitable hydration, possible lack of fat and/or general undereating.

I want you to feel awesome (we all do!) and perhaps there are some tweaks you can make to get on the right side?

Starting to do some research on adrenal fatigue. I am weepy tired all of the time, this week has been especially so. I've been upping my fat intake all week but I feel like a wreck. Like I can't clear the fog. It feels like simple basic everyday tasks wipe me out completely. 

So, I guess I have a lot of prolonged stress in my life. It's unavoidable stuff, not going away anytime soon (single, homeschooling mom of three) but honestly, I love my life A LOT and don't necessarily feel stressed out at all. Sure life is busy, whose isn't?? There are SO MANY other people with SO MUCH more going on. Besides, I've been doing this on my own for a long time. NBD. I'm an extremely laid back person with a deep faith and subsequent peace.  I'm easily amused and laugh a ton everyday. It takes a whole heck of a lot for me to feel angry or offended. I have great family and friends, so much support. I have super easy going kids that are a blast to spend every day with. I was told tonight by my dearest friend "Jes, anyone who has the list of stuff you're dealing with right now would be crazy stressed." My genuine response is "It's no big deal." 

So, CAN your body be stressed when you don't feel stressed at all? 

Granted, with the lethargy I've been feeling this week, I AM starting to feel it too... 

Wherefore art thou Tiger Blood???

• Administrators

Starting to do some research on adrenal fatigue. I am weepy tired all of the time, this week has been especially so. I've been upping my fat intake all week but I feel like a wreck. Like I can't clear the fog. It feels like simple basic everyday tasks wipe me out completely. 

So, I guess I have a lot of prolonged stress in my life. It's unavoidable stuff, not going away anytime soon (single, homeschooling mom of three) but honestly, I love my life A LOT and don't necessarily feel stressed out at all. Sure life is busy, whose isn't?? There are SO MANY other people with SO MUCH more going on. Besides, I've been doing this on my own for a long time. NBD. I'm an extremely laid back person with a deep faith and subsequent peace.  I'm easily amused and laugh a ton everyday. It takes a whole heck of a lot for me to feel angry or offended. I have great family and friends, so much support. I have super easy going kids that are a blast to spend every day with. I was told tonight by my dearest friend "Jes, anyone who has the list of stuff you're dealing with right now would be crazy stressed." My genuine response is "It's no big deal." 

So, CAN your body be stressed when you don't feel stressed at all? 

Granted, with the lethargy I've been feeling this week, I AM starting to feel it too... 

Wherefore art thou Tiger Blood???

What's your starchy veggie intake like, Jes? Being too low on carbs can cause all of the symptoms that you are talking about. If you don't have any in your daily meals, we recommend one serving per day (at least) of a starchy veggie like sweet potato, potato, rutabaga, turnip or winter squash (to name just a few).

Jes and Tulip-this is by far my most successful Whole 30, and the easiest transition I have ever had going from a junk diet to a clean one - the two changes for me this time are: absolutely no dairy (I pretended that wasn't really a rule in the past) and the addition of a starchy veg every day.  One of the moderators suggested adding a starchy veg to me on my log in the first or second day of this Whole 30, and I seriously think that is why this has been easier.  And Tulip, when people tell you you look great, you probably do! That's awesome people are noticing! 

First dinner out last night - had a plan to bake chicken thighs, but when I got home, my family really wanted to go out.  We went to Longhorn Steakhouse - I checked out the menu online before going.  I'm glad I did!  Almost every meat had either soy, gluten, or dairy on it.  The only choice was the porkchops, so that's what I got, along with a salad and plain sweet potato.  Often after eating out, I will have really vivid, weird dreams - does that happen to anyone else?  That didn't happen last night, so I guess maybe there's something in the seasonings or the soybean oil that does that to me? 

This coming week includes a buffet dinner event and then my daughter's birthday dinner at her favorite Chinese restaurant on the following night.  I'm glad these are in the third week and not the first - not sure if I could have handled them early on.

Off to check out Pinterest for the coming week's meal ideas.  I know I'll be prepping my salads, meatballs (my son's new favorite - "Mom, these are better than the one's you buy at the store!" he's sort of naturally Paleo, doesn't like bread products or dairy), mayo, and probably a soup.     

What's your starchy veggie intake like, Jes? Being too low on carbs can cause all of the symptoms that you are talking about. If you don't have any in your daily meals, we recommend one serving per day (at least) of a starchy veggie like sweet potato, potato, rutabaga, turnip or winter squash (to name just a few).

Ladyshanny and Tonya, thank you! I just went out and got some potatoes and sweet potatoes. I was eating them almost daily at the beginning of the month (I'm on day 24) but haven't at all really since. This is my second w30 and I did the lurong Paleo challenge before that and potatoes at those time either weren't allowed (LuRong) or were suggested mostly for really active athletes in moderation. I'm usually pretty active, too, but there's been a ton of rain lately and I haven't gotten out to run much in the last two weeks. Yesterday was my first day back to Crossfit in over 2 months! I'm blissfully sore today! And truthfully (go figure-after my rant) woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed before the sun this morning! But I will add back in starchy veggies (no complaints here- I love them!) and see if that helps too! 

Hey all! I spent the day here yesterday reading this whole thread. Loved it! I want to say thanks for being who you are and all your wonderful posts. This group lifts me up and I need that as well as Dave's boot camp chores. I know January is almost over, but would a check for $15,000 buy me in? If so, I'll mail it right away. After reading thru here, I made my own mayo yesterday and tried out a balsamic reduction. Oh my, a new treat for my taste buds! I have to say I tend to be more of a lurker than a poster, but we lurkers benefit a lot from you all.

PS, I don't remember who it was and scrolled back and couldn't find it, but some one uses wd30 for this group. Each time I saw it I saw wd40.  :)  WD40 fixes anything that's stuck.. wd30 fixes anyone who's stuck... ;)

Howdy Cottage Queen.   I use WD30.    I do that because my family calls it the WD30.   Ya still doin' the WD30?   Why, yes I am.

My father uses WD40 for everything.   He believes in WD40.   He believes it can fix anything.   

image_18664.jpg

Good whole foods fix everything.   They really do.

Morning Queenie, We sometimes call Dave, Whiskey Dave or WD..perhaps that is it. He used to be Captain Dave, but his tastes and priorities have morphed after indulging in W30's. 

Jesslight, you sound great today - good job!

Tonja...good job. Chinese is tough. I have a little local joint that throws in olive oil for me (instead of peanut) and the just use garlic and onion. I bring my own hot sauce as anyone could tell you (Can't live without my Tessamae).

Shanny - Love your moderator style.

Good Morning Meadow,  Higs, CC, Roseann(if you're peaking in)(Deb if you're peaking in) and all the other thread members...keep up the good work. 

I heard my scale calling out for me from the garage the other night. I stood at the door (afraid I couldn't be trusted to open it) and told him that we would be together soon, he just had to keep the faith.

My workouts are light this week so off to the gym, and a whole day of errands. I feel full of energy and capable of tackling the day. Tomorrow, gym in am and then afternoon and eve with boss.

Dave - I would like to pay my fine up front...I'M NOT WASHING THE CAR. I will however, shop, clean, try to buy a car, do laundry, cook, meditate, journal and willingly send you my first and second born...please advise.

HUGS TO ALL

Archived