Lasagna on Whole30?

loubiesandlulu

Wondering if this is ok, or qualifies as SWYPO?  I came across a tasty lasagna dish (before my Whole30 started) that contains these "noodles":  https://cappellosglutenfree.com/lasagna.  They contain five ingredients, almond flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, and sea salt.  The way it is made, the meat and vegetables make up the majority of it.  So, what do y'all think?  Not for daily consumption, but as an occasional Whole30 lunch or dinner?   

Hi I'd think the monitors will know

Sounds good though and it should be compliant

However ?? I also came upon that very same website They also sell it at Whole Food

I'm W30 Day 14 or about so I'll not be making that decision right now let me know if

Ladyshanny or any moderator responds

I'll check in later ok

hmmmmm.... While the ingredients are compliant, it is a GF food and for me, I would have to say no--course, I am not a moderator! I would use lengthwise slices of eggplant instead and make a torta type dish, with eggplant, other veggies, meat and compliant red sauce.

• Moderators

I'm going with SWYPO here -- it's still pasta. After a Whole30, if you want to avoid grains, this might be an option, but during a Whole30, this is a no.

If you want that lasagna flavor, there are other ways to do it, like this recipe, where you layer thinly sliced vegetables with a meat & tomato sauce mixture.

Good job people thanks for responding

You also helped me crush the great

W-oo-l-ee I'm having none on this Italian Sunday dinner

The family will enjoy pasta while I have my compliant M2 S&P chicken with roasted sweet potato and veggies may be a side salad

:)

If you want to make a lasagna-like dish, consider using thin pieces of zucchini or another veggie. In general, if you're recreating something like noodles or a crust and it contains almond flour then it's a no-go. About the only approved uses for almond flour during a Whole30 would be using it to "bread"  a piece of meat or using it to replace breadcrumbs for salmon cakes or meatballs.

• Administrators

Have you made the Sausage and Eggplant Strata from Well Fed? It's amazing.

I have also made this recipe, which is delicious and way better than standard pasta lasagna. Much more flavorful. But it is a lot of work!

I agree, this is an irritating amount of work....but holy SO worth it! I've made it on Saturday, sat it in the fridge and then started serving it for our breakfast on the Monday and for the rest of the week. By week's end it is SO flipping delicious that I forget just how irritating it is to make! Think I might keep an eye out for eggplants next week! :)

So cashew cheese is allowed on W30? Color me stupid- I would have bet anything that it would either be swypo or simply not in the spirit of breaking emotional bonds to food. Hm. The Paleo lasagne looks like a great recipe for "the afterlife" but, and maybe this is just a personal thing, isn't something I would probably want to do on the program.

So cashew cheese is allowed on W30? 

Cashew cheese isn't something that is encouraged, but as a very occasional use in a meal that has sufficient protein and vegetables--this dish has sausage and tons of veg--it isn't prohibited. The almond flour noodles mentioned at the top of this post are very much not allowed during the program. 

ps. I personally am in "post-whole30 mode" and still make this sort of thing only once every three years or so (last night's attempt foiled right out of the gate with the over-night soaking required).

• Moderators

So cashew cheese is allowed on W30? Color me stupid- I would have bet anything that it would either be swypo or simply not in the spirit of breaking emotional bonds to food. Hm. The Paleo lasagne looks like a great recipe for "the afterlife" but, and maybe this is just a personal thing, isn't something I would probably want to do on the program.

If you think anything on the program would be trouble for you, it's always a good idea to save it for post Whole30.

It's definitely something to use as a condiment/accent to a template meal, like in this dish full of meat and veggies. Like nuts, nut butters, dried fruit, etc it is something to be used sparingly. And, if you find yourself elbow deep in it with a spoon, excise it from your house!

Archived