Starting June 1st - First Whole30

JennSeitzer

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying reading all the posts I missed over the weekend so far. Glad this group is so active!

I have had the most challenging weekend. Saturday was recital night. Every year we go for Chinese after, so I suggested we go elsewhere or get it to go and eat at home. Well, I was pretty much called the bad guy. So, I ordered steamed chicken with steamed veggies and I did just fine. Yay!

Today we are at Friendly's. They have salads, so I'm getting a salad with egg, Apple, walnuts, and no dressing. So proud.

The kids will get ice cream to go.

Our! And we just went to the movies and I got plain cashews and water and I'm so over it. Haha...we got this!

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying reading all the posts I missed over the weekend so far. Glad this group is so active!

I have had the most challenging weekend. Saturday was recital night. Every year we go for Chinese after, so I suggested we go elsewhere or get it to go and eat at home. Well, I was pretty much called the bad guy. So, I ordered steamed chicken with steamed veggies and I did just fine. Yay!

Today we are at Friendly's. They have salads, so I'm getting a salad with egg, Apple, walnuts, and no dressing. So proud.

The kids will get ice cream to go.

Our! And we just went to the movies and I got plain cashews and water and I'm so over it. Haha...we got this!

Love it. congrats. I know how you feel. I think having the victory feels almost better then eating the actual food.. lol  

Well today was the hardest for me.  I had to in early to work so I ate breakfast early and then we were so darn busy that I didn't eat lunch until 2PM.  And I work with food, I'll just say all kinds of food that are not compliant.  So by the time I had my lunch Mrs. Crankypants was almost out.  I was so hungry by then that my normal lunch that I have been eating didn't really satisfy me.  But wait, it gets worse, I ended up staying late, still had to grab groceries for the family and then come home and have dinner.  It was close, let me tell you. I just wanted to pop something in my mouth but I didn't and I am happy.

I probably will still have an apple with crunchy almond butter.  After the craziness of today I deserve it.

[

I probably will still have an apple with crunchy almond butter.  After the craziness of today I deserve it.

When you say you deserve it, was there something wrong with the apple or the almond butter ?

Sounds like busy day also.

Well today was the hardest for me.

Oh BigMomma I hear you. But mad props to you for not blowing it - that sounds like the day from H-E-double hockey sticks! Strong work!

The last few days have been tough for me too. I didn't realize how seriously tired I would become. It just makes everything harder.

So, I really needed a "win" today, so I decided to use the link that was posted for fail-proof mayo. Wow! It really is that easy. And it tastes AMAZING. Seriously, I will never buy mayo again. And it really lifted my spirits to do something positive today.

How did everyone else do this weekend?

• Moderators

Hi Everyone, 

Happy Sunday and Great Big Victory for me.. 

I'm a bread eater. Especially out at Restarurants.. 

Today. My girlfriend and I went out to eat after Church.. I said this is going to be hard for me because I've just started my new eating program..  

I get in the reasturant and look at the menue and i should have taken a picture of the menue. Not much to choose from but I want to say, I am learning for a newbie.. 

I chose the hamburg with French Fries and Avocado and water. 

My girlfriend had ,,,, I'm just not going to repeat it because it was so not on plan.  

I didn't ask for a taste, I for went the hot bread and didn't have anything but water and lemon to drink.

When I say TEST.  This was it.. .  

I'm shocked.  but I made it.  This to me is a big victory and I thank God for my choices..

I chose the avocado because I never had it before unless it was in guac.. Well, I did buy 3 avocados and I don't think I"m afraid of them any more. 

so now, tell me if this is a meal. 

2 boiled eggs

1/4 avocado and some strawberries or  kiwi? 

cause that's what will be my meal #3  if it's compliant. 

I wait to hear your reply.. Please don't make me wait until tomorrow to eat again..... lol  :D

Congrats on your victory. I'm really sorry to say this next but commercially prepared french fries are against the rules.

See the ruling here.

French Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Ordering fries with your (no bun, no cheese) burger and green salad really misses the point of the Whole30. Fries are the epitome of “food with no brakes,” and anything deep-fried in vegetable oil is be default unhealthy. Make your own potatoes at home using coconut oil, duck fat, or ghee, and baking or roasting them in the oven instead of deep-frying them; or order them baked or mashed (no cheese, sour cream, or butter!) if dining out.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.4tbDJKVf.dpuf

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news and this does not in anyway mean to negate the rest of your victory.

The meal you asked about is compliant but is not a template meal. Check out the template linked in my signature below. We want you to have protein, fat and veggies at each meal and veggies shouldn't be replaced by fruit. Also, eggs when your only protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping and I'm positive you can hold more than two.

• Moderators

Anyone experiencing acne breakouts??? I usually have great skin and rarely get pimples, but I've got them all over today! Totally sucks and hope it goes away. Doesn't look very professional!

Yes this is totally normal while your hormones rebalance and your body detoxes. Power through, it'll resolve in short order. As for 'not being professional', we all have bodily functions and that has nothing to do with whether you're professional and qualified for your job :)

Congrats on your victory. I'm really sorry to say this next but commercially prepared french fries are against the rules.

See the ruling here.

French Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Ordering fries with your (no bun, no cheese) burger and green salad really misses the point of the Whole30. Fries are the epitome of “food with no brakes,” and anything deep-fried in vegetable oil is be default unhealthy. Make your own potatoes at home using coconut oil, duck fat, or ghee, and baking or roasting them in the oven instead of deep-frying them; or order them baked or mashed (no cheese, sour cream, or butter!) if dining out.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.4tbDJKVf.dpuf

I'm really sorry to be the bearer of bad news and this does not in anyway mean to negate the rest of your victory.

The meal you asked about is compliant but is not a template meal. Check out the template linked in my signature below. We want you to have protein, fat and veggies at each meal and veggies shouldn't be replaced by fruit. Also, eggs when your only protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping and I'm positive you can hold more than two.

I really can't eat but 2 eggs and I get full.

So you're saying that's not enough for the program meal 1?

Mock. I'll get out of this group and start again tomorrow.

I'm so sorry I didn't understand. I guess, right now I'll always be somewhere but won't get a full whole 30 due to illness. This makes me sad.

Is there a group for re-starters. Can I just be a whole something else?

Maybe I should be whole 4. Or whole 1. Lol. Is there something shorter so I won't feel the disappointment

This hurts after a day of trying to do right to find out you did wrong.

• Moderators

So that means tomorrow I'm back to square one:(.

I didn't do it on purpose.

Just a miss understanding.

I completely understand you didn't do it on purpose. I didn't mean to imply you did. It would have been remiss of me as a moderator to not inform you tho. At the bottom of my signature there's a link to an article about starting over. The decision is absolutely all yours.

• Moderators

I really can't eat but 2 eggs and I get full.

So you're saying that's not enough for the program meal 1?

The meal you listed, while 100% compliant is not enough food for an adult human. It's an indication your hormones are off if you get full after two eggs and a blob of avocado. The recommendation is to make a template meal and if you can't finish it, wrap it up and eat from it as soon as you are able. Don't wait to feel hungry. In this case I would suggest leaving off the fruit and replacing with veggies until you can get a full template meal down.

I'm so sorry I didn't understand. I guess, right now I'll always be somewhere but won't get a full whole 30 due to illness. This makes me sad.

Maybe I should be whole 4. Or whole 1. Lol. Is there something shorter so I won't feel the disappointment

Tytbodyin30 - here is a quote from "how to do the perfect whole30'

If you find yourself cracking out on (approved) nut butter or fruit one day, no harm, no foul. Just realize you’re probably trying to satisfy a craving, and make a plan to do something different the next time you’re stressed. If you accidentally ate something off-plan (despite your best efforts!), it’s okay. Lesson learned, either start over or just move on—it’s always up to you. If you can’t afford organic or grass-fed at this time, you’re still nourishing your body with whole, healthy foods, and that’s something you should be immensely proud of.

So that being said you can certainly continue on if you choose.  Maybe reread the rules and know that you cannot eat a burger with bun or commercial french fries.  

Keep going maybe add 4 days at the end when it will be easier then you will be even!   Feel good about what you have accomplished and your gallant efforts.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/#sthash.aDtZntsr.dpuf

tytbodyin30 you don't need to leave us...I love your posts!  It's all good.  Just add 4 days at the end.  By the way, I didn't have the apple, I fell asleep on the couch instead, lol.

Tytbodyin30 -- since you are already part of this group and we love your posts (and LoriJJ's reference was helpful!), I might suggest that you continue on here, and if you REALLY feel the need to start over, then just call tomorrow Day 6 out of 36 (instead of Day 6 out of 30) and see how you are feeling on Day 30, 31, or 32. I've started over twice now, but my choices were not accidental or even just one little cheat, and even with my intentional off-plan choices, it was no picnic going back to "Day 1" mentally and finding a new group. (But I'm super glad I found this one!!) You've been trying really hard, so give yourself credit and keep on going (with us we hope)!

That is GENIUS! I am totally trying that the next time!

Gonegirl - I love dill, so I usually add a bunch of dill seed (maybe a tablespoon for a quart jar) and about 2 tablespoons of dried dill, and of course if I can get my hands on fresh dill I'll throw a big fistful in, in place of the dried dill weed.

Thank you, but I can't take credit.  I read it somewhere online too.  Works great!  

I went and snipped a big old handful of dill and shoved it down in one of the mason jars.  I did divide it up and put it in four spots in there.  Can't wait to see how that works.

The meal you listed, while 100% compliant is not enough food for an adult human. It's an indication your hormones are off if you get full after two eggs and a blob of avocado. The recommendation is to make a template meal and if you can't finish it, wrap it up and eat from it as soon as you are able. Don't wait to feel hungry. In this case I would suggest leaving off the fruit and replacing with veggies until you can get a full template meal down.

Hmmm.  I struggle with this one.  I had a bariatric surgery a few years ago.  Physically can't hold that much food I don't think.  My lunch tomorrow is packed in the fridge.  I put 1/2 cup of tuna salad with chopped eggs in it and celery in addition to the fats.  2 cups of celery and carrot sticks.  2 ounces of fresh pineapple and blueberries I picked from our bushes.  I likely will not finish it all.

Tytbodyin30 - here is a quote from "how to do the perfect whole30'

If you accidentally ate something off-plan (despite your best efforts!), it’s okay. Lesson learned, either start over or just move on—it’s always up to you. 

Keep going maybe add 4 days at the end when it will be easier then you will be even!   Feel good about what you have accomplished and your gallant efforts.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/01/perfect-whole30/#sthash.aDtZntsr.dpuf

I like this.  Hate to see you leave here.  You started with all of us!  You can totally add 4 days and don't beat yourself up! A whole lot less overwhelming.

tytbodyin30 you don't need to leave us...I love your posts!  It's all good.  Just add 4 days at the end.  By the way, I didn't have the apple, I fell asleep on the couch instead, lol.

This!

BTW, hello to all the new peeps!  Haven't been here much the past two days.  

Despite some rain here and there today, we did hit the beach as it is my last day before I start my new job in the morning.  Packed a lunch.  Did well.  The biggest problem I am having is it has suddenly become difficult to get protein down.  I  love meat.  Any and all.  But I am really having a hard time even with a large variety of getting it in.  No matter how yummy, it's just unappealing.  So, I have decided I am trying more protein "salads" such as tuna and egg salad.  Gets my fats and proteins in.  Not quite as difficult mentally somehow? And I'm using celery sticks to eat it tomorrow.  Hope this helps get all my foods in a bit better/easier.  

This is actually my day 6 as I started for real on May 31.  I am really just not that hungry.  May be contributing to my having difficulty with the protein. It's so dang heavy.

Welcome any suggestions!

So, this may be just a tease for the kraut obsessed among us because it's really, really local...but it maybe fun for you to look over their products and get some ideas of combinations to try.  I've had one or two of these in the past and they were really fantastic.  http://fermentedkrazykraut.com/  I know I looked once before and it was pretty hard to get them short of living in the area they sell to, but the products page lists ingredients and might inspire you!

Thank you so much for this!  New experiments ahead!

Good night everyone.  Will try to sleep so I can be somewhat refreshed for the new job.  Woot!

Good day to all of you!  I hope today goes better than yesterday (work not food).  The headache was back this morning but now that I ate breakfast it's going away.  I will try making mayo again tonight.  I really am used to oil and vinegar on my salad.  I'm Italian and when I was a kid I thought oil and vinegar was Italian dressing!  However I would like making tuna or egg salad so I will try one of the versions that have been posted here and keep my fingers crossed.

Here's to a great Day 6 for all!

Tytbodyin30,  on day 4, I accidentally took a swig of pop, I thought it was my water and it wasn't!  I'm just going to add a few days at the end.  I figure by the time I get there, I'll be on a roll with the eating.  Please stick around!  

I'm really struggling with getting in 3 eggs and about a cup of sautéed veggies  for breakfast.  So much food!  Yesterday, I had breakfast at 9:30 and wasn't hungry until nearly 4pm.  I got 3 full meals in but dinner wan't until almost 8.  I know I'm a grazer by nature so I'll keep plugging away and assume it will get easier as time goes on.

I noticed my skin was all bumpy last night.  Not really pimples, just generally inflamed.  I have rosacea and I hope Whole30 will help that.  Well, this morning it is already improving!  I am still using my cream and it tends to come and go so it will be interesting to see if I see an improvement at the end.  

I hope everyone has a terrific day 6!  I was awake and alert before 6am today.  I sure hope I don't crash and burn too early in the day.  I have to work from 8-4:30 and then I'll get a walk in with my neighbor, I hope, before dinner.  

I totally get this. I've been in your "shoes" before...complete with frustrations and higher anxiety/depression of frustrations over not doing Whole 30 perfectly. I'm still not perfect, but I'm learning. 

I'm just a nobody here butting my nose in, but I sure enjoyed reading your posts and I hope you'll stick with this thread. 

Besides I'm pretty sure we're all learning how to work Whole 30 into our lives. :)

Poor girl sounds SO frustrated.  

I have a lifetime of starting and stopping and on plans and off plans, etc.  You have to learn to pick yourself up and dust yourself off, laugh at yourself and move on.  It's in the past.

In the book it even says "you are an adult, we say you should start over, but you ultimately make the decision"....that isn't a direct quote, but it's the gist of what they're saying.  So, you messed up...and I don't even think you messed up as bad as some have. At all.  I have been known to blow diets with an entire cake in one sitting...on purpose.  eh, whatever, I did it, it's done...moving on.  

MOVE FORWARD.  Stop looking back.  Seriously, this will help you in every part of life.  YOU GOT THIS!!!

Hello Everyone, 

Was out all day yesterday at my daughter's track meet (in the rain), had to run to grocery store after that and had many chores waiting for me so I never did get on the computer. I didn't pack any lunch for the track meet (just plain dumb move on my part), I didn't think it would go as late as it did, but I held out and was able to eat a delicious grilled chicken avocado salad around 4. So then my dilemma  was Do I eat dinner, I certainly wasn't hungry but I figured I best eat something so I had a little pork tenderloin (which I made in the crockpot and it was so good), an apple & green salad with olive oil. Woke up feeling pretty good this morning. Noticing clothes seem a little looser, feel less bloated, energy levels are up so overall in a good place. 

Sorry I missed the activity here yesterday, Tytbody I am going to agree with everyone and say I think you also should stay with us and plan on doing a whole 35. You were feeling so good about your choices yesterday so don't throw that feeling away. And that being said if you feel you need to start at day 1 you can still stay here because some of us started a day early or a day late anyway. And finally if you really want to find a new group starting at the same time that's cool too. It really is about what works for you!! But know you have friends here if you need us!!

Gonegirl - good luck in your new job today

Hope everyone is on track and starting to notice positive changes!!

Happy Monday all!!

• Moderators

Hmmm.  I struggle with this one.  I had a bariatric surgery a few years ago.  Physically can't hold that much food I don't think.  My lunch tomorrow is packed in the fridge.  I put 1/2 cup of tuna salad with chopped eggs in it and celery in addition to the fats.  2 cups of celery and carrot sticks.  2 ounces of fresh pineapple and blueberries I picked from our bushes.  I likely will not finish it all.

Hi There;

For people who have had bariatric surgery, the recommendations are the same but slightly different... We still want you to eat as much in a day as three template meals but understand that capacity is a significant player here and as such, suggest that you break those three template meals into smaller more frequent portions.

For people who have not had bariatric surgery (and I don't recall seeing Tytbody saying she has), then the recommendation is to eat a full template meal three times a day with the intent to get 4-5 hours between meals.  Not being able to eat the minimum template recommendations is usually a sign of hormones being out of whack and as such, we suggest that people plate up a template meal, eat as much as they can and then wrap it up and eat from it again as soon as they're able (not waiting to feel hungry).  Yes, there are outliers to this recommendation but for 99.9% of people with standard digestion capacity, this is the recommendation and following it will adjust hormones and hunger/satiation signals will start to figure themselves out.

Archived