February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My name is Erik, and I'm from Iowa.  My wife and I have 4 kids.  I'm the only one that is doing this 100%.  This will be my 1st Whole30.  I do most of the cooking so they'll eat what I make for dinner.  I have all my dinners planned out for the 30 days and can post some ideas if that would be of any help.  Take it one day at a time!

Hey y'all! I'm Amanda! 

I started today, and I'm really excited about this program. I bought the book on Saturday, and prepped last night. I love to cook, but I haven't done much of it lately because life is so hectic right now. But being in the kitchen, prepping my food for today made me very excited to get started on this program.

I'm doing this program for several reasons. The first is that I'm getting married in July, and I want to look and feel my best for that! However, and most importantly, I have spent the last 10 years gaining weight and feeling blah, and it's only getting worse. I don't sleep well at night, I'm always exhausted, and I have a couple of skin conditions that are getting worse despite the fact that I'm on medication for them. I also have General Anxiety Disorder, which I am also on medication for as well. I'm tired of being tired, of not feeling good, and of being on medication. It's obvious my body needs a reset, and I'm excited to see what happens in the next month!

I've never been good at sticking with other "diets" or lifestyle changes before, but I'm determined to this time. I also know that I'm going to need a lot of support, especially since I'm doing this on my own. 

What I'm hoping to get out of this month is a general improvement in my health, but specifically help with ongoing skin issues, joint pain and crappy sleep patterns.  I'm a pastry chef and have everyday access to all the things that are horrible health wise, so I'm probably going to be taking a long hard look at what I do for a living too.  I'm off today, but am dreading my full 12 hour workdays ahead - I may have to take drastic measures to not "quality control" the products.  Wish me luck...

Wow, looks like there's a bunch of us going it together these next 30 days, that's so great! 

I'm in CT, and what I mostly want to get out of this is really just general health improvement. Weight loss would be great, and so would a boost in energy, but I'm more so trying to just head off any potential for developing the number of medical conditions that run in my family (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions, etc.) I've really done a poor job of managing my food choices and activity levels the past few years, and that totally has to stop! 

So far today has been pretty great! Scrambled eggs and grapes this morning with black coffee, tons of water throughout the morning, and garlic chicken that I made last night for lunch. I'll be shredding the chicken over a salad for dinner along with some plantain chips! 

Also - does anyone else get morning shine texts? This morning's text was SO RELEVANT to starting Whole30 and just got me going on the right foot! If you don't get them, here's a link to today's just to get an extra boost of encouragement! http://daily.shinetext.com/2017-02-27

Hello all, I'm glad someone started this thread! I'm in Houston, TX and I'm doing the Whole30 to change my relationship with food. I have used food as comfort my whole life (occasionally to an extreme degree), and I just don't want to use it as a crutch anymore. I read the Whole30 book and it was like someone had flipped a light on. Of course none of my other eating plans had ever stuck! They all encouraged sugar-free desserts, etc.--basically, as the book says, sex with your pants on. 

I spent more than two hours grocery shopping yesterday at Sprouts and Kroger. Turns out I can find everything at Kroger for the first-week meal plan except ghee. Good to know! I took the additives and sugar cheat sheets along with me and boy, am I glad I did. Last night I made homemade mayo and tomato sauce to get the week off to a good start. 

This morning's breakfast was two fried eggs cooked with a bit of ghee, and coffee with coconut milk. I actually liked my coffee that way--whew! I already know I'm going to get sick of eggs, though. Lunch will be protein salad made with compliant tuna and homemade mayo on fresh spinach with balsamic vinegar. Stawberries on the side. Tonight is perfect ground beef with tomato sauce and roasted acorn squash (Kroger was out of spaghetti squash). 

Best of luck to everyone--nice to know we're in it together!

So excited! Had my 1st cup of black coffee since my last W30 and it wasn't as bad as I feared! Yum. 

Milk is definitely a problem for me, but not lactose intolerance issues that are gastric. It's more a headache, Sinus congestion, + insane sinus drainage... so I'm going to be happy to be eliminating that craving for milk. 

I usually eat pretty healthy (except winter starch cravings drive me to comfort foods and junk). I'm cleaning up my act tonight! I'll have a steak, salad, and asparagus. I'm going to miss my quinoa :(

How's everyone else's day 1 going? 

50 minutes ago, diamonds422 said:

Hello all, I'm glad someone started this thread! I'm in Houston, TX and I'm doing the Whole30 to change my relationship with food. I have used food as comfort my whole life (occasionally to an extreme degree), and I just don't want to use it as a crutch anymore. I read the Whole30 book and it was like someone had flipped a light on. Of course none of my other eating plans had ever stuck! They all encouraged sugar-free desserts, etc.--basically, as the book says, sex with your pants on. 

I spent more than two hours grocery shopping yesterday at Sprouts and Kroger. Turns out I can find everything at Kroger for the first-week meal plan except ghee. Good to know! I took the additives and sugar cheat sheets along with me and boy, am I glad I did. Last night I made homemade mayo and tomato sauce to get the week off to a good start. 

This morning's breakfast was two fried eggs cooked with a bit of ghee, and coffee with coconut milk. I actually liked my coffee that way--whew! I already know I'm going to get sick of eggs, though. Lunch will be protein salad made with compliant tuna and homemade mayo on fresh spinach with balsamic vinegar. Stawberries on the side. Tonight is perfect ground beef with tomato sauce and roasted acorn squash (Kroger was out of spaghetti squash). 

Best of luck to everyone--nice to know we're in it together!

I found ghee at Publix yesterday, so if that's an option for you, there you go! I'm in Atlanta, and my local Publix was also out of spaghetti squash yesterday (is there a run on squash now or something), but I went to a health food store and got it. 

It's also good to see someone else who is following the first week meal plan in the book. However, I'm with you on the eggs. I can only take so much of them, so I need to find other things I can eat for breakfast. 

I started today also.  I'm in upstate NY. I also am hoping to reset my cravings and clean up the bad eating habits along with losing some weight.  I did lots of preping yesterday. Made the basic mayo and cilantro lime mayo.  I don't think I will ever buy prepared mayo again. It was so easy to make and delish.  Had trouble with the vinaigrette dressings tho. Need to adjust the herbs and spices. I am not a fan of Either the basic or balsamic. My balsamic turned out the consistency of mayo. ... so all lessons learned!  Made the chili and chicken cacciatore for the week did dinners.  And wow what an eye opener reading labels to find compliant foods... had my cheat sheet... looking forward to reading this forum to get answers and support from others.  Thanks!  

1 hour ago, Jess_ said:

Also - does anyone else get morning shine texts? This morning's text was SO RELEVANT to starting Whole30 and just got me going on the right foot! If you don't get them, here's a link to today's just to get an extra boost of encouragement! http://daily.shinetext.com/2017-02-27

Thanks, Jess!  Just checked this out.  Totally helps.  Doing well so far.  Really glad there are so many people to chat with :)

I have a Passion Planner, and there's quotes and little explanations for each week. I thought that this week's quote/explanation was very appropriate for us, and hopefully will provide some more motivation to stay the course these next 30 days.

"The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life." -William Morris

"Find contentment in the process. Don't think about hat you've done in the past nor what you expect to happen in the future. Simply be happy doing your best in the present, and you will always be happy regardless of the outcome."

6 hours ago, BajaChick said:

I started yesterday, 2/26. I'm feeding the same foods to my husband and he's trying to be a trooper. We have always eaten lots of veggies so he likes that part. I think he misses snacking; chips, trail mix and other no-brakes foods.

Two things I miss: half & half in my coffee and vanilla protein powder smoothie after my workout. I spent a small fortune on groceries and a few tools (food processor, immersion blender) and am financially committed as well as mentally. 

I would love to keep in touch with people on the same timeline. I've already had a rumbley tummy this morning. I'm not sure I can face the hard boiled eggs for breakfast and my protein salad for lunch isn't sounding great either. I made some bars, cashews, coconut, dates and nut butter. They're really really good but I know they will only feed my snacking/sugar habit. My very thoughtfully packed lunch includes protein salad, apples & grapes and berries and hard boiled eggs for breakfast if I can face it. 

I know I'm doing the right thing, it just makes me cranky today. Snow for the morning commute doesn't help but I'm trying to be positive!

Dinner tonight is slow-cooker pork Mexican tacos in lettuce wraps. I made a giant batch over the weekend to avoid the "what's for dinner?" conundrum. Any good ideas for dinner are welcome!

Hi BajaChick, I started my first Whole30 yesterday too! I'd love to keep in touch as we go through this together. My stomach is not feeling the protein today either, or anything at all actually. I had to make myself eat an apple! I had a whopping migraine yesterday too, which didn't help, but hey I still did it (Day 1). And you did too. Yay us!

7 hours ago, BajaChick said:

Erik, yes please share some of your dinner ideas! Without tortillas, rice and blue cheese dressing, I'm struggling a bit!

Tonight I'm making a frittata.  Sauteing some onions, browning beef.  Throwing some spinach, sweet potatoes, and red bell peppers with it for a while.  Then adding 10 eggs and baking it.  I've made it before and my kids like it so that's a plus.  Tomorrow we're having Pork Carnitas from the Whole30 cookbook. 

I have to say I'm surprised. My lunch sounded terrible (I do that a lot, bring a lunch and then don't eat it and get something to-go instead). But I forced myself to NOT eat at my desk and waited until I was starving. Chicken protein salad w/grapes & almonds on greens. It was amazing - you know that feeling when what you're eating is exactly what your body wants? I also had sliced fruit but didn't eat it, just didn't want it! Wow.  3:30 is my usual snack attack, and I'm ok. No cravings, but I'll be ready for dinner.

Question - I don't have a decent food processor, just a Ninja smoothie maker. (An immersion blender and food processor are on the way) so I didn't make the mayo. Anyone else have success making it without decent equipment? 

3 hours ago, mandab17 said:

I found ghee at Publix yesterday, so if that's an option for you, there you go! I'm in Atlanta, and my local Publix was also out of spaghetti squash yesterday (is there a run on squash now or something), but I went to a health food store and got it. 

It's also good to see someone else who is following the first week meal plan in the book. However, I'm with you on the eggs. I can only take so much of them, so I need to find other things I can eat for breakfast. 

No Publix in Texas! Fortunately, I bought the large tub of ghee (and plan to make my own in the future). Both Sprouts and Kroger are a two-minute drive away for me, so I consider myself lucky. These ingredients won't be easy to find for many! And yeah, I'm sure I'll be one of those eats-leftovers-for-breakfast people in no time flat. 

20 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

Question - I don't have a decent food processor, just a Ninja smoothie maker. (An immersion blender and food processor are on the way) so I didn't make the mayo. Anyone else have success making it without decent equipment? 

I made the mayo last night using my Ninja blender! Worked great, just a bit of a pain to clean--blenders always are. There is a little plastic flip-up thing that let me pour the oil in while the blender was running. If yours doesn't have that feature or similar, it probably won't work. I also have a food processor on the way, haha. 

4 hours ago, mandab17 said:

I have a Passion Planner, and there's quotes and little explanations for each week. I thought that this week's quote/explanation was very appropriate for us, and hopefully will provide some more motivation to stay the course these next 30 days.

"The true secret of happiness lies in taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life." -William Morris

"Find contentment in the process. Don't think about hat you've done in the past nor what you expect to happen in the future. Simply be happy doing your best in the present, and you will always be happy regardless of the outcome."

6 hours ago, Jess_ said:

Wow, looks like there's a bunch of us going it together these next 30 days, that's so great! 

I'm in CT, and what I mostly want to get out of this is really just general health improvement. Weight loss would be great, and so would a boost in energy, but I'm more so trying to just head off any potential for developing the number of medical conditions that run in my family (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart conditions, etc.) I've really done a poor job of managing my food choices and activity levels the past few years, and that totally has to stop! 

So far today has been pretty great! Scrambled eggs and grapes this morning with black coffee, tons of water throughout the morning, and garlic chicken that I made last night for lunch. I'll be shredding the chicken over a salad for dinner along with some plantain chips! 

How do you get the shine texts?

Archived