February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

Went to bed exhausted last night... and I was tired early which is unusual for me. Then The Headache hit. I'm exhausted tonight. I hope I get some sleep. 

Already seeing a difference in attitude towards food. After dinner I'm full, no more snacking. Wow. This is worth the headache. 

Skipped my coffee today because I didn't have time to make it at home. We'll see how that plays out with the sleep tonight... 

On the eggs topic - 

I remember a muffin tin recipe that made them tasty. Line each cup with prosciutto. Crack an egg into your prosciutto cup. Season it anyway you want maybe add some leftover roasted vegetables. Bake. They are great to keep on hand in the fridge for the next few days. 

Thanks everyone - hearing about your experiences so far keeps me on track. I don't feel like I'm alone! 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I'm Maggie and I started on Monday the 27th. So far I'm feeling tired, headachy and foggy but these are not new symptoms to me but they are not as bad as they usually are, so that's good! I was not expecting to have to deal with the sugar dragon so quickly as I don't eat much in the way of sugar but today I really craved fruit and ate a whole punnet of blueberries! I don't eat much fruit as I am not a fan of it so this was unusual for me. I had to make sweet potato for dinner as I really need that sweet hit, again unusual for me. My sleep has been good but I actually gave up coffee 4 weeks ago and this has improved my sleep no end. I still miss it though. I also miss bread very badly. This was probably not the best time for me to start whole 30 as I am a nursing student and have exams/prac assessments every week this month but I was desperate to start feeling better so just bit the bullet and started Monday. The only weird symptom I am having is breaking out in a sweat on and off today.

Anyone else having a hard time not weighing and watching portion sizes? I ate a whole sweet potato! Is that allowed? I am having a hard time preparing food and not thinking about how much or how fatty it is......

Anyway here's hoping we all stick to this, I will literally do anything to feel better!

xxx Maggie

oh yeah I'm also not really hungry! Usually I get hangry several times throughout the day but the last 3 days I have felt satisfied between meals. That's been great because my ravenous appetite is hard to control and makes me grumpy and reach for my beloved bread. But not so far!

Hello! Getting ready to start day 3!  I am Catholic and today is Ash Wednesday so no meat for me today.  I am making a shrimp dish for dinner and have eggs as my protein for the other two meals (kind of forget about this when meal planning and shopping on Sunday...whoops!).  I am feeling pretty great to be honest.  My boyfriend and I had done a "cleanse" four or five days before I started the whole 30 so my headaches happened before I started, which was by no means on purpose, but I am glad it happened that way.  I made the chicken chowder from the book last night and it was good!  My meals are more satisfying and I have no desire to snack, which is SO not like me at all, even in the slightest bit.  I also am a candy junkie but not really feeling any cravings.  My Whole 30 cookbook arrived yesterday and I was reading through it in bed like a cheesy Nicholas Sparks novel... I am so excited to continue following good recipes! 

@maggiemay I am also struggling not to weigh myself as it has been a part of my daily routine for so long.  I actually don't think it would have a negative affect on my Whole 30 experience but am trying to stick to the guidelines nonetheless.  In addition, my district embarked on a health initiative in January and I signed up for a weight loss competition a solid month before I even knew I would do the Whole 30 and its guidelines about the scale.  We have to do weigh ins every so often and have one coming up.  We will see how that goes--- I can probably weigh in without actually looking at the scale.  

I hope everyone has a great day! 

Day 4

First real workout since I started. VERY hard. Cardio was fine but strength training had me quivering, using weights of very reasonable weight. 

Yummy pumkin custard as pre-workout snack. 1 can pumkin, 4 eggs, 1 can coconut milk, 2 very ripe bananas, tsp pumkin pie spice and 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Pour batter into 9x13 pan, sprinkle on pecans and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until firm. Excellent chilled. Makes a lot!

Business lunch today, trying hard to get out of it!

Dying to weigh myself. There is for sure a change, the crap I was eating was probably gaining me a pound a week. Nowhere to go but down! 

1 hour ago, BajaChick said:

Yummy pumkin custard as pre-workout snack. 1 can pumkin, 4 eggs, 1 can coconut milk, 2 very ripe bananas, tsp pumkin pie spice and 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top. Pour batter into 9x13 pan, sprinkle on pecans and bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until firm. Excellent chilled. Makes a lot!

Hey @BajaChick - this is technically complaint, but not ideal as a preWO or eaten on it's own like this. It's probably more of a side. 

For preWO you want protein & fat - eating fruit will provide your body with an immediate source of fuel to burn rather than allowing it to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel. PostWO you want a lean protein & a starchy carb - no fruit, & not fat. Fruit will replenish liver glycogen when you want to replenish muscle glycogen with starch, and fat will slow down muscle protein synthesis, hindering recovery.

Strength & cardio will probably take a hit for the first 10 days or so, but if you compose your meals effectively you should come out the other side harder/faster/stronger...

Good luck with the business lunch today - just be sure to ask all the questions!!

Today, I woke up feeling much better than I did yesterday. I usually wake up exhausted, and for once, I didn't. That was a nice feeling! I'm having to stay home from work today because my puppy got into of something he shouldn't have, so I'm having to watch him and make sure he doesn't need to go to the vet. That makes eating a little easier because I can eat when I am actually hungry and not be stuck to a schedule like I am at work (I'm a teacher, so when my kids eat, I have to eat). However, I'm really bad about drinking anything when I'm home. I always drink a lot of water at my desk at work, but for some reason, I never drink the same amount when I'm home. Any tips on how I can do that?

I've been up for about 3.5 hours now, and I'm getting tired, but not that exhausted feeling I had yesterday. Hopefully the  breakfast I just had (Perfect Scrambled Eggs with a side of raspberries) will get me some energy back.

Happy Day 3!

17 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Hey @BajaChick - this is technically complaint, but not ideal as a preWO or eaten on it's own like this. It's probably more of a side. 

For preWO you want protein & fat - eating fruit will provide your body with an immediate source of fuel to burn rather than allowing it to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel. PostWO you want a lean protein & a starchy carb - no fruit, & not fat. Fruit will replenish liver glycogen when you want to replenish muscle glycogen with starch, and fat will slow down muscle protein synthesis, hindering recovery.

Strength & cardio will probably take a hit for the first 10 days or so, but if you compose your meals effectively you should come out the other side harder/faster/stronger...

Good luck with the business lunch today - just be sure to ask all the questions!!

Thank you, I've done a protein spinach mango smoothie post-workout every day for years and years, I'm missing it like mad. Sounds like while the texture is easy on a 4:30am belly, it's not giving me what I need. 

What do you think about a nut butter, coconut, nuts  & date bar? "Real" protein that early is going to be tough. Plus I don't want too much or I'll get nauseous during my workout. Conundrums! 

10 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

What do you think about a nut butter, coconut, nuts  & date bar?

For preWO?

They're compliant, but I'm not a fan of bars of any kind, and again the dates are packed with sugar....

How about just the nut butter? It's just about the only time I'd recommend eating it on it's own...!!

For postWO maybe some roast chicken? It's actually quite edible at room temp, and easier on the stomach than you might imagine.

What does your schedule look like? What time do you train? How long for? Intensity? What time do you start work?

day 3!!  (this is my first time cleansing with whole 30.)

and starting to feel better....  my slight headache (caffeine and/or sugar withdrawal?) is mostly gone and i slept pretty well last night without crashing like i did on day 1.

i get to pick up one of the books from the library today - i don't know if it's the cookbook or rules.

i'm in this to clean out my system - let go of some damaging (sleep, weight, energy, circles around eyes, fingernail biting) side effects of some of my more polluting food choices.

Thanks to all for the egg suggestions. I know I can add things to them to make them taste better/more interesting. I just wanted one meal where I didn't have to plan or chop or prep in any way, haha. 

Last night I was quite tired and went to bed early. This morning, even after nine hours of sleep, it was tough to get out of bed. I feel fine now, though. My stomach was unpleasant this morning but is okay now. If this is the extent of my "hangover," I consider myself very lucky! No headaches so far, but I also don't drink caffeine or any soda at all. 

Today I had fried eggs with Cholula on top, a little easier to get down (but not much). I HIGHLY recommend the red pepper mayonnaise to all. I had it with chicken and roasted sweet potatoes with ghee, rosemary and thyme last night, and it was my best meal yet. Would have loved a glass of pinot with it, but oh well! Leftovers are for lunch, and I have beef going in the slow cooker for tonight. Need to up my intake of green vegetables...

Hi all! I started on Monday as well. This is my second time doing the whole30 - my first time was like 4 years ago.  I'm already feeling great and so ready to drop my bad sugar habits and my baby weight (4 months postpartum)

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

For preWO?

They're compliant, but I'm not a fan of bars of any kind, and again the dates are packed with sugar....

How about just the nut butter? It's just about the only time I'd recommend eating it on it's own...!!

For postWO maybe some roast chicken? It's actually quite edible at room temp, and easier on the stomach than you might imagine.

What does your schedule look like? What time do you train? How long for? Intensity? What time do you start work?

I'm up between 4:30 and 4:45. I have a home gym (elliptical, weights, Bosu, bands, Swiss ball etc) and try for 25 minutes of cardio and 25 of strength with pre and post stretch.  Sometimes I do yoga or Pilates. I start my day with some sort of workout 5 days a week and do a group class of some sort on the weekend. I don't have a rom if time because I leave the house at 7am so sitting down for breakfast is very hard. It's either too early (pre WO) or I'm rushed (post WO) . I usually take 10 once I get to work to eat something substantial. Today was hard boiled eggs. I know, light on veggies. And no, I'm not getting up earlier, 4:30 is the best I can do. 

1 minute ago, BajaChick said:

I'm up between 4:30 and 4:45. I have a home gym (elliptical, weights, Bosu, bands, Swiss ball etc) and try for 25 minutes of cardio and 25 of strength with pre and post stretch.  Sometimes I do yoga or Pilates. I start my day with some sort of workout 5 days a week and do a group class of some sort on the weekend. I don't have a rom if time because I leave the house at 7am so sitting down for breakfast is very hard. It's either too early (pre WO) or I'm rushed (post WO) . I usually take 10 once I get to work to eat something substantial. Today was hard boiled eggs. I know, light on veggies. And no, I'm not getting up earlier, 4:30 is the best I can do. 

So you could manage some nut butter for preWO, a few bites of a lean protein for postWO (honestly, we're only talking a few bites here - enough to feed your muscles to allow them to repair & recover), and then have a template breakfast when you 'take 10' at work....

Day 4 and I feel awful. I slept well but woke up with sinus headache (which is normal for me) and from there it's just gotten worse. I feel so sick. I have stomach ache (again Normal for me!), feel lightheaded and foggy. My eyes are sunken into my head. This isn't like getting a cold or something, it's a weird feeling. I have a practical assessment in 2 hours which I couldn't care less about, usually im very anxious before hand. I've had fried egg, mushrooms and spinach in ghee plus some blueberries. Hopefully this helps? I feel like I need to eat something but I don't know what! Im craving a coffee though, I might have one after assessment to celebrate (assuming I pass). I drink my coffee black no sugar and have done for a few years now but gave up a month ago and my sleep improved dramatically.  Maybe 1 a day wouldn't affect my sleep? 

ughh this sucks today. 

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

So you could manage some nut butter for preWO, a few bites of a lean protein for postWO (honestly, we're only talking a few bites here - enough to feed your muscles to allow them to repair & recover), and then have a template breakfast when you 'take 10' at work....

Thank you! I can't tell you how much it means that you took the time to help me. Seriously, stock in Quest protein powder will go down if I can kick the smoothie habit for good. I'm learning it's a terrible choice! Yes, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks again :)

Had really bad sweet cravings yesterday, last night and today.  I did not break, but was so tempted.   It helped to write about it in a journal I'm keeping.  I'm already straying from the Whole30 book meal plan.  I like eggs for breakfast and have almost always had 2 every day.  Having "dinner food" for breakfast is weird to me.  I also find that the recipes seem to have more food than 2 servings.  Maybe I just don't eat as much...not sure...but will keep at it.

I have a headache, but I think that's from lack of sleep.  I have a 14 year old labrador retriever I'm "nursing" while doing this - which means zero sleep at night.

Love seeing all the updates.  Thanks for sharing what you are experiencing!

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎27 at 9:55 AM, SherriG2017 said:
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎27 at 9:55 AM, SherriG2017 said:
On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎27 at 8:34 AM, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Day 4 today.  I feel like I have a chest cold. Tired for sure but not as many cravings this morning.

Hey all! I'm Jo and I'm in White Plains, NY.  I am doing this for a few reasons.  This past summer I started to have some random swelling issues.  My hand, arm, armpit, feet.  It was random and would last two to three days.  It was as if my body was reacting to an infection but minus the infection.  I started feeling sluggish and gained about 20 pounds while actively dieting and exercising (no joke--I was really pushing myself and just gained weight).  Turns out I have Hashimoto's, or low acting thyroid function, and that explained the tiredness and weight.  I'm happy to be on medication to help with this now but the random swelling has persisted, albeit not as frequently.  I'm hoping that the Whole30 will help me to find the source of the swelling, and if it actually has anything to do with food at all!  I'm a teacher so packing lunch for me is totally normal, and I'm excited to do more cooking for dinner.  In addition, I have a serious "SUGAR DRAGON" that needs to be controlled and I'm hopeful that Whole30 will be the answer.  Really looking forward to this process and being in touch with all of you!

Started today and ready.

Prepped last night, just have to stay on top of it.

Very excited to lose the Sugar Dragon this month!

Started today and ready.

Prepped last night, just have to stay on top of it.

Very excited to lose the Sugar Dragon this month!

I woke up today exhausted, but I'm okay right now. Breakfast this morning is scrambled eggs and some blueberries. Yesterday, I noticed that I had to force myself to eat all three meals. I just wasn't hungry. And it looks like today is going to be the same. I hate having to force myself to eat, but I know that it's important to have all three meals. I'm back at work today, so hopefully I'll drink more water than I did yesterday.

Also, I was craving a hamburger and fries yesterday. I even wanted to order out for a hamburger (without the bun, of course), but luckily, my fiance talked me out of it. He convinced me to go to the store and get what I needed to make the burgers, and he even had one, too (but with a bun....and cheese...). And I roasted a couple of potatoes to make "fries" and made the ketchup recipe that is in the book. Ketchup is my favorite condiment, so I was a little worried since this wouldn't be the sweet ketchup that I'm used to. However, I actually like the ketchup I made last night! 

Happy Day 4! 

Good morning everyone!

Day 4 and this is by far my best-feeling day so far! Days 2 and 3 were up and down with headaches and serious fatigue, but I woke up this morning and felt great! I was looking at the timeline and today/tomorrow are supposedly the "kill all the things" phase (lol), but no moody outbursts yet (which my husband appreciates, I'm sure!)

Early class today, so I just had some coffee and coconut milk and a banana and almond butter for breakfast. A more substantial lunch is on the way with some lemon chicken, mashed potato, and green beans. 

Happy fact - we're over 10% done at this point! :) Have a great day 4 all!

23 minutes ago, mandab17 said:

I woke up today exhausted, but I'm okay right now. Breakfast this morning is scrambled eggs and some blueberries. Yesterday, I noticed that I had to force myself to eat all three meals. I just wasn't hungry. And it looks like today is going to be the same. I hate having to force myself to eat, but I know that it's important to have all three meals. I'm back at work today, so hopefully I'll drink more water than I did yesterday.

Also, I was craving a hamburger and fries yesterday. I even wanted to order out for a hamburger (without the bun, of course), but luckily, my fiance talked me out of it. He convinced me to go to the store and get what I needed to make the burgers, and he even had one, too (but with a bun....and cheese...). And I roasted a couple of potatoes to make "fries" and made the ketchup recipe that is in the book. Ketchup is my favorite condiment, so I was a little worried since this wouldn't be the sweet ketchup that I'm used to. However, I actually like the ketchup I made last night! 

Happy Day 4! 

How is your fat intake @mandab17? Fat provides energy, and also prevents cravings - your breakfast is lacking in fat (& vegetables by the way), and it sounds like last night's dinner was low on fat also. Fat truly is your friend here.

Is anyone extremely thirsty?  I have been drinking water non-stop the last couple of days and then last night I even woke up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth and craving water.  I have a water bottle with me all day long and can't seem to fully quench my thirst.  I'm not sure if my body is just getting rid of toxins or if I am lacking something in my diet.  Anyone else experiencing thirst issues?

9 minutes ago, cdd said:

Is anyone extremely thirsty?  I have been drinking water non-stop the last couple of days and then last night I even woke up in the middle of the night with a dry mouth and craving water.  I have a water bottle with me all day long and can't seem to fully quench my thirst.  I'm not sure if my body is just getting rid of toxins or if I am lacking something in my diet.  Anyone else experiencing thirst issues?

Are you salting your food?

An unquenchable thirst can be a sign of low sodium levels - remember that switching to whole foods can cause a drop in sodium intake of around 70% and your body needs sodium to function effectively...

Archived