February 27 - Newbie Start Date!! Join!!!

TeacherFitJourneyy

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day Six

Slept pretty well, woke up and my alarm had been going off for an hour (volume was way down) so I guess I needed sleep! Skipped my workout due to the lost hour, and feel pretty good - usually my workout is what gets me going, and without it I'm sluggish. I'm hoping the brain fog is going to be over soon! I'm such a space cadet. 

I need to get better at planning and prepping. I've always made dinner after work, but the prep involved on a one-off meal basis is insane! If I spend this weekend doing some prep and even making some things like tomato sauce and ground meat, I'll be a lot better organized!

Very interesting discovery last night when I made tomato sauce. I've been making my tomato sauce for years, trying to avoid "fake food" and excess sugar in general. But I always added about a tablespoon of sugar to my sauce. I discovered the carrots make up for that sweetness! I was blown away by the flavor of the sauce. I didn't have crushed tomatoes, just diced, so I used my groovy new immersion blender towards the end of cooking to make it smooth and less chunky. Perfect! I'll do the sauce that way from now on. I didn't even miss the Parmesan cheese. Ok, maybe a little. 

My husband, who is doing Whole30 with me, has a colonoscopy next week. He'll want something substantial and "comfort" like after it's all over. I'm going to make clam chowder, using coconut milk and arrow root powder to thicken it. If there was every a reason to cheat and go the comfort-milkshake, this is one of those times, but he said no way. He's "in it" and doesn't want to screw things up. He said "If I have to give up cream and sugar in my coffee, I'm sure as hell not going to cheat and wreck my 30 day run for a milkshake or fries."  I was honestly shocked. 

Wearing jeans today I haven't been able to wear for over 6 months! Not bad for less than a week!

19 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

Day Six

Slept pretty well, woke up and my alarm had been going off for an hour (volume was way down) so I guess I needed sleep! Skipped my workout due to the lost hour, and feel pretty good - usually my workout is what gets me going, and without it I'm sluggish. I'm hoping the brain fog is going to be over soon! I'm such a space cadet. 

I need to get better at planning and prepping. I've always made dinner after work, but the prep involved on a one-off meal basis is insane! If I spend this weekend doing some prep and even making some things like tomato sauce and ground meat, I'll be a lot better organized!

Very interesting discovery last night when I made tomato sauce. I've been making my tomato sauce for years, trying to avoid "fake food" and excess sugar in general. But I always added about a tablespoon of sugar to my sauce. I discovered the carrots make up for that sweetness! I was blown away by the flavor of the sauce. I didn't have crushed tomatoes, just diced, so I used my groovy new immersion blender towards the end of cooking to make it smooth and less chunky. Perfect! I'll do the sauce that way from now on. I didn't even miss the Parmesan cheese. Ok, maybe a little. 

My husband, who is doing Whole30 with me, has a colonoscopy next week. He'll want something substantial and "comfort" like after it's all over. I'm going to make clam chowder, using coconut milk and arrow root powder to thicken it. If there was every a reason to cheat and go the comfort-milkshake, this is one of those times, but he said no way. He's "in it" and doesn't want to screw things up. He said "If I have to give up cream and sugar in my coffee, I'm sure as hell not going to cheat and wreck my 30 day run for a milkshake or fries."  I was honestly shocked. 

Wearing jeans today I haven't been able to wear for over 6 months! Not bad for less than a week!

Sounds Good!  What recipe did you use for the tomato sauce? I can't find one.  thanks!  You're husband is better than mine!  

58 minutes ago, eblanchardcf said:

Recipe idea: http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-slow-cooker-meatballs-whole30/#comment-44275

I'm trying this on Sunday.  It's looks really good!

Wow, it does look good! I might make that myself. Will have to cut in half though--my husband doesn't eat much meat (well, neither do I, except now) and my son eats none at all except fish. In some ways Whole30 hasn't been hard--we eat a lot of vegetables anyway--and in others...well. I don't miss bread or pasta, which I didn't eat much of, but no real cream or sugar in the coffee, now THAT's been on my mind! Plus hummus and peanut butter, my go-to snacks.

This morning I had chicken sausage with 2 eggs, some leftover roasted cubed sweet potato, and a veggie smoothie with a cup and a half of greens, half an apple, juice of half a lemon, and water. Had a handful of blueberries and pistachios at 10. I am having a hard time shaking the urge to snack more. Not hungry, just snacky.

I thought I was going to have it easy (or at least easier) overall because my first few days were so effortless, but I was soooo wrong. I am in full-on "kill all the things" mode and it is rough. Last night I slaved over the stove again only to find that I don't even really like sunshine sauce. I had made a double batch the night before and was feeling all accomplished, and it turns out it's really not all that. Maybe it will be better with compliant almond butter (if I could find any). So I have a bunch of leftover food that isn't even that good. Fortunately, my husband eats anything. 

For the first time I had to deal with my demons as far as not using food as comfort. Got some bad news yesterday about an issue I've been dealing with forever and I just wanted to throw in the towel and buy a bottle of wine and some takeout. Didn't do it. This morning, I am supremely cranky.

One day at a time... Sending good vibes to all!

Hi All. I Did a whole 30 a couple of years ago and loved the results. However I did not do any kind of re entry and here I am back again. I got the Food freedom book and will read it during this month to try to stay on track better. 

I started this with my daughter on the 27th and I want to kill all the things these last couple of days. I think I am just having a hard withdrawal from sugar. 

So far all of the other parts have been good. I like the food and the company. But I have a cold and that makes me want comfort food. I will survive. I just thought I would share this. :(

Today I made salmon cakes to have for lunch with a salad, and will have pork meatballs and zoodles from the Whole30 cook book later on. That will cheer me up. 

I surprisingly do not really feel like "killing all the things" today, although yesterday (day 4) was a different story... I may or may not have ranted at my cats about my boyfriend not doing the dishes, so that by the time he got home I wouldn't erupt all over him like a crazy-volcano. But dude. HE SAID HE WOULD DO THEM and he didn't. Do you know how many dishes you go through when 1) you're cooking three meals a day and 2) you don't have a dishwasher? A lot. A lot of dishes. That's about an hour a day at the sink, at least.

Needless to say I am calmer this afternoon, and I think the rage has passed. Hope you're all going strong into our first full whole30 weekend! Gonna go plan my meals for next week since tomorrow is grocery day.

1 hour ago, trinx said:

I am having a hard time shaking the urge to snack more. Not hungry, just snacky.

Try developing a new habit at that time, like making a mug of herbal tea, or re-filling your water bottle....

8 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Oh, that sounds good!  Does it taste like cauli tho?  I loathe cauli...

Not at all!! She has quite a few soup recipes with cauli in them too, and it seems to add a real creaminess to them  Her 'crack soup' doesn't use cauliflower and is definitely worth a try....

I usually use a fish pie mix (cod, haddock, mackerel) for the chowder as it's cheaper and clams can be hard to get here, and it always turns out fab!!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Not at all!! She has quite a few soup recipes with cauli in them too, and it seems to add a real creaminess to them  Her 'crack soup' doesn't use cauliflower and is definitely worth a try....

I usually use a fish pie mix (cod, haddock, mackerel) for the chowder as it's cheaper and clams can be hard to get here, and it always turns out fab!!

Uh, yum!  Okay, I'm going to put this on the list for meal prep this week... I always make a huge pot of soup for the week, usually to eat at breakfast!  Fish mix sounds great and I'll probably add clams too cause canned clams are really easy to get here.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Kick the habit said:

Sounds Good!  What recipe did you use for the tomato sauce? I can't find one.  thanks!  You're husband is better than mine!  

The tomato sauce is the one in the Whole30 book 

1 T. cooking fat, 1 onion finely chopped, 2 celery stalks finely chopped, 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp fresh thyme, 1 tsp. fresh oregano, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper.

Heat oil in pan, add onion, celery, carrots and cook, stirring until the onion becomes translucent, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt akd pepper. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) stirring every 20 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth, about 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.

I took the lid off half way through because it was very watery, and right at the end I blended well with the immersion blender. While it cooked I browned ground beef, adding chunky mushrooms at the end.  I added the sauce to the meat and simmered a bit longer. Served over cooked spaghetti squash with salt and ghee before ladleing on the sauce. 

5 minutes ago, BajaChick said:

The tomato sauce is the one in the Whole30 book 

1 T. cooking fat, 1 onion finely chopped, 2 celery stalks finely chopped, 1 carrot peeled and finely chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, 1 tsp fresh thyme, 1 tsp. fresh oregano, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper.

Heat oil in pan, add onion, celery, carrots and cook, stirring until the onion becomes translucent, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, salt akd pepper. Reduce heat and simmer (covered) stirring every 20 minutes until sauce is thick and smooth, about 1 hour. Discard bay leaf.

I took the lid off half way through because it was very watery, and right at the end I blended well with the immersion blender. While it cooked I browned ground beef, adding chunky mushrooms at the end.  I added the sauce to the meat and simmered a bit longer. Served over cooked spaghetti squash with salt and ghee before ladleing on the sauce. 

This is now my favorite tomato sauce! And pairing it with spaghetti squash has made me not miss pasta! This is one of my favorite meals now! 

Day 6, and my symptoms have been fairly mild.  I mostly jumped right to wanting a nap, but that might have something to do with taking care of my sick toddler, too!

I don't miss cheese the way I expected.  Mostly, it's wanting to add parmesan to the roasted veggies as flavoring, not cheese on is own.  What's been surprising is how I almost eat bites of food accidentally when I'm getting the kid's food ready.  Almost ate a piece of cheese out of habit while I was putting it on their plates!  

I hope I get energy soon.  Worked out on day 3, and my legs felt so heavy.  Class again tonight, so I'll see if it's getting better.  I'm snacking much less, so that's working!

Hi, newbie here!

I started on the 27th but didn't sniff out the forum until last night. I've already learned:
That I need to eat more than I think I do to avoid getting shaky and crashing
Remember to meal prep the night before (Tuesday felt like I was chopping and cooking all day long)
Going off my carefully prepared/studied meal plan to eat leftovers is a must!

Okay, my fiance just informed me that he wants to go to the movies tonight. We go to Movie Tavern, which is where we can eat dinner while watching the movie. Any tips on how I should play that one? This is the biggest test/challenge for me so far. 

1 hour ago, mandab17 said:

Okay, my fiance just informed me that he wants to go to the movies tonight. We go to Movie Tavern, which is where we can eat dinner while watching the movie. Any tips on how I should play that one? This is the biggest test/challenge for me so far. 

Check out the menu in advance and see if you can get someting compliant, Like a naked burger or a salad. Oil and vinegar is ok for dressing.  If not then eat ahead of the movies. I would sneal in a few nut and have seltzer. Good luck! enjoy!

2 hours ago, mandab17 said:

My suggestion to you would be to eat a big dinner beforehand. I haven't been faced with this yet, but I can't imagine going to your average restaurant (or food-serving establishment) and eating something compliant that is actually satisfying. Your outing sounds like it's more about the movie than the food, anyway, so at least you'll have a distraction while everyone is eating around you!

I am nervous about the weekend. So far no one but my husband and one friend know I'm doing this, and I don't look forward to having to explain it to people (especially family members). Usually Friday nights=Mexican food and margaritas. My husband is being supportive and staying in with me. He is giving up all alcohol while I'm doing this. Saturday night I may be going to an art opening where free wine will be served. Free wine!! Gotta stay strong...Sunday will be a cooking/prepping marathon since I cannot deal with spending an hour and a half on my feet cooking and cleaning every night!

hi guys,

nice to see everyone is doing so well! I am on day 6 and the carb flu has left me, I feel a lot better! I cant believe how much I struggled going sugar free for the first 4 days because I don't usually eat much sugar so was not expecting to be hit so hard but there you go! there must be a lot of sugar in bread as this was the only major change to my diet since starting whole30.

Anyway despite all this I am going to stop my whole30 for now. My hair shedding has been quite bad for the last few weeks. it's been an issue for 18 months now and despite multiple blood tests and visits to rheumatologists and a dermatologist everything is coming back normal. My rheum thought I had lupus but no everything has come back negative. So my plan is now to go see a new Dr and specifically look for all thyroid issues, not just lupus. Did my rheumatologist look for anything besides lupus? I don't know but I'm going back to the drawing board....again. So between now and my Dr's appt in 10 days I am going to eat how I normally do and stop taking all my supplements so any blood work done will be a true reflection of my natural state. If this whole30 does indeed balance hormones I don't actually want that right now! This is my last shot at trying to get to the bottom of my fatigue, hair loss, constipation etc. with the help of "mainstream" methods. I will be back on whole30 one way or another hopefully after easter. I really think the plan has something to offer and I want it but not right now.

Best of luck to you all, I'm still going to check in to see how you all go!

and yes I have weighed myself and am shocked at what I have lost since Monday, I have struggled so hard over the last 3 years to lose weight that I just thought I had to give up and accept I was never going to get back into my fav clothes again but the whole 30 seems to have kicked ass in that respect, but as I said before I was not doing this to lose weight, I just want to feel normal (and not lost any more hair)

Bye for now

Maggie xxx

Tonight was my first big restaurant test.  My boyfriend and I took his parents out to dinner and being a Friday during Lent we chose a seafood restaurant.  I had looked at the recipe ahead of time and I knew what I was going to order going in which was great!  The hardest part was when the bread was placed on the table, but I had a good meal consisting of a steamed lobster, baked potato, and spinach and a couple of oysters.  I am proud of myself.  That was hard but I did it and I am still feeling like I can do this.  

Next up is a busy weekend so I will actually have to do some food prep tomorrow morning and then for the rest of the week on Monday afternoon.  Good luck to everyone this weekend!!  We are doing it! just keep swimming....

Hello everyone! It is wonderful to see that we are doing our best to stay on track. I have been doing well so far. I feel so much better overall. My energy levels are way better. Prior to starting, I was exhausted all the time. Today, I went to a restaurant with my hubby and youngest son. I did not even look at the off-plan stuff (cocktails, bread, dessert, etc.) I did not want it at all. Instead, I had some steamed crawfish and vegetables, water to drink.

So I totally forgot to take before pictures and I'm kind of bummed about it.  I think I will take some today so at least I have a point of reference, even if it is day 6.  Speaking of which...day six!! Woohoo!  We are moving along nicely.  This is going to sound strange but I swear my hands feel...lighter? or smaller? or simply just less swollen which is weird because I didn't even know they were swollen.  I teach music and therefore spend half of my day playing piano and am oddly aware of the fact that my hands feel different.  I am sure that swelling is starting to go down and hope that makes it's way around my body--- because come on let's go! Hahah.  Anyway I am super loving following this thread because it is so helpful and I really like the foods I have been eating.  Yes, lots of dishes to wash and prepping but it is working out well for me right now.  Have a great Saturday!

Archived