Starting January 2!

Framed Cooks

4 minutes ago, elizabeth.joan said:

I had a dream about food, too! I dreamt that I was out with friends and ate candy. It felt so real! 

My friend who is on Whole30 dreamed that she had eaten donuts and cupcakes! She woke up frantic, thinking it had actually happened!

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LaVesta said:

I need help. I can' fry an egg to save my life. This may seem trivial, but it' driving me nuts. Ghee, nope. Avacodo spray oil, nope. Olive oil, nope. Eggs stick every time.  I always leave half my egg in the pan. Suggestions? 

This video was helpful to me - 

2 hours ago, LaVesta said:

I need help. I can' fry an egg to save my life. This may seem trivial, but it' driving me nuts. Ghee, nope. Avacodo spray oil, nope. Olive oil, nope. Eggs stick every time.  I always leave half my egg in the pan. Suggestions? 

I have tried increasing the amount of oil as I found I tended to skimp on that. I also make certain that I break the egg over the oil so the egg is really on top of the oil.

On 1/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, GayeC said:

Thank you for the tips and encouragement. I'll have to check out that beef stew. I made some compliant beef stew this week and it was delicious, but I wouldn't mind trying another recipe.

Here's my favorite compliant beef stew recipe! https://www.framedcooks.com/2017/02/coconut-beef-stew.html

20 hours ago, LaVesta said:

A new pan :D

I've been sleeping horribly the last few nights! I have a fitbit that tracks my sleep time, and I always make sure I have 8 hours in bed, but have only been sleeping for about 6.5 of them. I fall asleep fine, but then wake up with restless legs.  I've never been a good sleeper, but it's definitely been worse these last few days!

22 hours ago, Garden Gal said:

I think I feel better.  Less bloated. I didn’t weigh before I started this, so I wouldn’t know if I’ve actually lost any weight. I definitely need to, but I think I’ll just focus on eating better, then go on to portion control after the 30 days. 

...I have Achilles tendinitis in my left foot, so I haven’t been able to get in as much walking as I would like. Once that is taken care of, I should be able to get on track!

Sounds like a lot of us are feeling similarly - although, I am not seeing changes yet, I do feel less bloated/gassy, and on Friday I wore jeans to work that did not fit last month. However, my Achilles tendinitis has gotten crazy better - elbow tendinitis is gone.  Yep, gone.   Sleep is better, joint pain seriously improved.  I haven't wavered from the plan, but might have gone off the template when caught between grocery shopping trips.

I am really looking forward to the Tiger Blood, though.  I know I will see great improvements when I can get my butt out the door and go for a walk/jog for half an hour every day.  Right now, I just want to sleep - which, I do not feel guilty about.  

Okay, this is the first day I've woken up and not remembered what 'day' it is.  I'm taking that as a good sign :)

WE ARE DOING THIS!!  

@Sissi Thank you for posting the link to the article on diets. I found it incredibly interesting. It seemed the biggest negatives of W30 were the fact that no scientific studies have been completed on W30 participants, even though the program is based on science (see “It Starts With Food”). The other big negative was the fact that it required effort and planning - seems to me, if you want to see changes then you can’t expect what you’re doing to be easy - easy would be doing what you’ve always done, which is not going to produce results/changes! It also criticized the fact that it was short term - which shows me the writers of the article didnt take the time to understand the point of the program - to create habits and knowledge that will extend beyond the 30 days (especially if done with proper reintroduction). 

I could go on forever about the other reviews/analysis of the other diets too...but I will save you from and endless rant!

@nicoledawn913 @racheleats Thank you for posting your experiences with preparing mayo! In my first round, I struggled to make really good mayo and was hesitant to try this time. But, after reading your success stories, decided to give it another go. And I DID IT! I used my food processor this time (I think my immersion blender maybe is a cheap model and maybe that’s why it wasn’t working?). I am so happy I gave it another try, so thanks again!

@JohannaE I have a FitBit too. Since starting W30, it is showing that my sleeps are more restless and I am barely getting any REM or “deep sleep”. I’m not necessarily feeling any more tired than usual, but also am not feeling much more energized/refreshed when waking up.  Very strange to me!

Day 13 - I have been questioning how much I’ve been eating at meals (both protein and fats) because it feels like much more than I’m used to eating. Easy to question this since I am not seeing any real physical changes. But, in my “Day by Day” book, I was reminded to trust the process, so I’m not going to change anything for now. My plan is just to make sure I’m following the meal template and be mindful when I’m eating to recognize when I’m full. I also need to remember it’s not just about the physical appearance - so will be reading and re-reading the NSV list!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday! 

have some people in town tonight and we are going to a famous restaurant in my area that specializes in fried chicken sandwiches.  i am going to eat a big whole 30 meal before i go and just sit with them. worried that its going to be awkward for them eating in front of me, but there's not one thing on the menu that could even remotely be compliant. 

i am thinking they will understand and not feel bad about eating in front of me. we'll see how it goes.  the struggle is real!!

3 minutes ago, RroseR said:

have some people in town tonight and we are going to a famous restaurant in my area that specializes in fried chicken sandwiches.  i am going to eat a big whole 30 meal before i go and just sit with them. worried that its going to be awkward for them eating in front of me, but there's not one thing on the menu that could even remotely be compliant. 

i am thinking they will understand and not feel bad about eating in front of me. we'll see how it goes.  the struggle is real!!

You've got this!! 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dianne m said:

Sounds like a lot of us are feeling similarly - although, I am not seeing changes yet, I do feel less bloated/gassy, and on Friday I wore jeans to work that did not fit last month. However, my Achilles tendinitis has gotten crazy better - elbow tendinitis is gone.  Yep, gone.   Sleep is better, joint pain seriously improved. 

May I gently ask why less bloated and gassy, newly fitting jeans, tendinitis improved, tendinitis gone, better sleep and improved joint pain are not what you would consider changes?  That sounds friggen amazing to me!

Had some GREAT food this weekend and I wanted to share a few recipes...

http://coorec.com/p/savory-smashed-sweet-potatoes-with-lemon-garlic-aioli

http://www.planksloveandguacamole.com/2015/01/balsamic-and-basil-marinated-steak-with.html

The sauces (lemon garlic aioli and roasted red pepper pesto) really steal the show. And you'll have plenty left over to add to other meals. The aioli and pesto can make any veggies or protein to die for.

Also, I discovered that Trader Joes now has a complaint turkey breast lunch meat option (their organic line which is just turkey, salt, and water). I love doing turkey wraps (turkey with a bit of mayo stuffed with greens and rolled up) for a quick and easy lunch option.

Can't believe we are almost half way there! 

I went to Trader Joe's last night as they were the only store that had almond flour (Whole Foods and our local chain grocery store were out). I decided to pick up some prosciutto. I was looking at the NomNomPaleo IG and she had a receipe for prosciutto egg bites, so I am taking that as a sign. I made slow cooker pot roast and curried chicken thighs yesterday, so I have dinner set for the next few days.

18 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

May I gently ask why less bloated and gassy, newly fitting jeans, tendinitis improved, tendinitis gone, better sleep and improved joint pain are not what you would consider changes?  That sounds friggen amazing to me!

I know!  Thank you for pointing that out.  Still waiting for brain fog to lift or something - don't know what I was thinking.  I meant to say - not seeing the usual changes when I drop a pound or two.  I usually notice less puffiness in my face first, but not seeing that yet - and don't 'feel' like I'm losing, bc still bloated - BUT all those other changes are huge... and the main reason I am doing this.  The joint pain thing is really eye opening.

I quilt, and on Sundays I usually do nothing but quilt, but yesterday, I did nothing but cook.  All.  Day.  Finally sat down to quilt about 8pm - to bed at 2am!  Definitely, this type of schedule is a problem for sleep/body being able to repair itself.  It's all such a vicious cycle.  Glad to be bursting it  (will nap today).  

Happy MLK day to all!

I am meeting a friend tomorrow and she proposed going out to dinner with our children at Red Robin. I had noticed last year that they include the option to have a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. I am going to take my own mayo and probably my own mustard since I don't recall if they give you the bottle or just bring it out in a cup. They give the option of unlimited fruit salad instead of fries, but I am going to ask for broccoli. I feel ready to meet the challenge of ignoring the fries and it will be our half way point!

It's the evening of day 14 for me and I'm posting in recognition of an NSV that's easily overlooked. I have atrocious pmt carb cravings every month; no matter what I do or eat I always want extra easy sugar. One of the best things about whole30 is that it's really easy to feel hungry and just eat more food, no counting how many calories are contained within some godsforsaken packet of nutrition free pseudo-food - I just eat a bit more home cooked, delicious, actual food and move on, safe in the knowledge that my appetite will balance out next week :) happy days (and really tasty stir-fry with pineapple) :)

37 minutes ago, OHMaryF said:

I am meeting a friend tomorrow and she proposed going out to dinner with our children at Red Robin. I had noticed last year that they include the option to have a burger wrapped in lettuce instead of a bun. I am going to take my own mayo and probably my own mustard since I don't recall if they give you the bottle or just bring it out in a cup. They give the option of unlimited fruit salad instead of fries, but I am going to ask for broccoli. I feel ready to meet the challenge of ignoring the fries and it will be our half way point!

I have done the burger in lettuce at Red Robin and it is tasty. I think I got a side salad with it. I wasn't doing the Whole30 at the time, or I would have taken dressing with me. That sounds like a nice way to celebrate the halfway point!

I am starting to feel the lift that comes with getting to the second half of the program. My energy levels are much higher and I have laser-sharp focus. My mood has improved and I'm enjoying the food I'm eating. I don't have to choke down my breakfast anymore. I'm proud of myself for being better with veggies this time around. It definitely helps that it's been colder than normal this season, so I can just roast two big pans every Sunday and enjoy the fact that it heats up the house! Stay strong, everyone. We can do this!

Can't believe tomorrow is Day 14... whoo hoo, yay for us! I'm also starting to see an upturn, not the "flip the switch" kind of feeling but rather smaller things. I'm feeling less puffy  and definitely have more energy. Headaches are gone and while the pizza brought in by our Finance team today looked REALLY good I'm generally doing well with cravings. Like most of you, did a lot of cooking this weekend but with it being the 3rd time through the rodeo it was easier knowing what works and what doesn't. Found this recipe for chicken/sweet potato hash browns and tried it out this weekend, it was yummmmmyyyyy and an easy quick-hit for lunch on Saturday:

http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/chicken-hash-browns-the-healing-kitchen-review/

Also made the Whole30 ranch dressing to add to things since I haven't been getting enough fat. That required an epic search of the kitchen/pantry/basement for my immersion blender that I knew I had but somehow had gotten tucked away somewhere by mysterious house gremlins. After 30 minutes of searching then finally recruiting my husband to look everywhere I'd already checked he found it. So more immersion blender recipes are on the horizon for next weekend. 

And a funny today... a co-worker made a stop by my office today to tell me that she thought I was looking really good ("not that you didn't before"... ). She thought my face looked thinner and my skin looked great. I didn't tell her that I happened to actually wear foundation today, but took the compliment and ran. Because I'm FEELING better! :)

Archived