I'm STARVING!!!

Tristan1308

I'm only on day 2 and I'm ready to quit!!! I'm starving. I usually get hungry around the afternoon hours between 2-6pm. For breakfast today I had 3 eggs with spinach, 3 chicken sausage (homemade) and a fruit bowl. For lunch I had a steak with cauliflower and broccoli. After lunch I felt like I didn't even eat anything. The issue I have is I workout 4 times a week (i.e. bootcamps, cycling, personal training, etc.) and I need good options prior to working out and post workout. I usually do a Vega shake after I workout until I'm ready for dinner. 

Also, on the days I do intense workouts load up on carbs to sustain myself during a workout. I can totally feel the difference 

It doesn't sound like you're eating enough and you definitely seem to be missing fat at your meals. You shouldn't be so hungry! The fat will play a key role in helping you feel full longer.  So try adding some plated fat to each meal (in addition to the fat you cook with since most of that stays in the pan).

Some of my favorites are gaucamole, ghee, olives, and coconut flakes. Sometimes the fat feels well integrated with my meal. For example, a heaping scoop of ghee on a baked potato or coconut milk in a creamy, coconut curry. Other times I just add a handful or two of olives or coconut flakes to get my fat in. Or I'll just eat an avocado! There are lots of options!

You can also add pre- and post-workout mini meals on days when you work out. And you can definitely eat starchy vegetables to help increase your carb intake! 

Also, just in case you haven't seen them, here are a couple of super useful resources to help you with your meal planning: 

I have 50 years of dieting experience behind me. I've lived throught the Great Snackwells Fat Free Cookie rush of 1991. My whole adulthood nutrition belief system was indoctrinated with "FAT is BAD". It's been really hard to cook with fat and plate fat since I started W30 but, I wanted a whole hearted effort so I did it. Ghee, olive oil, coconut milk, avocados, olives, crispy salmon skin, nuts... eating them.

I haven't been hungry since week 2 of my first W30. 

Eat the fat.

29 minutes ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I've lived throught the Great Snackwells Fat Free Cookie rush of 1991.

I seriously love you for stuff you say, Lorna!   Really, though, I agree with everything you posted here. 

@Tristan1308 In addition to what the ladies ahead of me suggested regarding fat to achieve satiation, I'm going to suggest that you consider putting some carbs on your plate in the form of starchy vegetables. It took a ton of experimentation during my W30 but it became absolutely clear that without a starchy vegetable at breakfast (think along the lines of half a baked potato diced up in my frittata, a handful-sized portion of sweet potato mash, or a quarter of a small acorn squash), I couldn't make lunch happen more than 3 hours after my breakfast... I just wouldn't make it. While breakfast might not be the best time for you personally, and I can see that you're a LOT more physically active than I am, just remember that neither carbs (like starchy veggies) nor fats are your enemy in Whole30... we need ALL the macros (protein, fat, carbs) to achieve a healthy balance on this journey, and some of us need to boost one or two specific macros compared to others in order to find our personal best. Don't let the traditional dietary "wisdom" make your Whole30 experience become a journey in miserable hunger, because it really can be an awesome ride. :) 

@Jihanna Loving you back sistah!!

OMG yes - potatoes are your friend! I've eating more potatoes (sweet and regular) since January 3 than I have in the past 20 years! And fry up some onions! I'm buying them by the 20lb bag now - who knew you could eat fried onions? The world's simplest pleasure!

My cousin asked me the other day what I was doing to lose weight and my absolutely honest answer was, "eating like a horse for the first time in my life!"

(Then I proselytised on the W30 for an hour so, I may have lost her :) )

Cheers

9 hours ago, Lorna from Canada said:

I have 50 years of dieting experience behind me. I've lived throught the Great Snackwells Fat Free Cookie rush of 1991. My whole adulthood nutrition belief system was indoctrinated with "FAT is BAD". It's been really hard to cook with fat and plate fat since I started W30 but, I wanted a whole hearted effort so I did it. Ghee, olive oil, coconut milk, avocados, olives, crispy salmon skin, nuts... eating them.

I haven't been hungry since week 2 of my first W30. 

Eat the fat.

AGREED!! I was a WWer from the early 90s and man, did I have a mental block against fat. I really struggled my first round to get my plated fats and to cook in any fats, it just seemed so wrong. Now I love the fats! I keep duck fat on hand for sauteing veggies and roasting potatoes, I love flavouring up my ghee for different sauces (lemon, garlic and dill ghee on snapper is divine!), I eat mayo and mayo based salad dressings, I toss salad in olive oil, liberally throw nuts through my side dishes...

My bootcamp trainer led us through a Whole30 last November and he kept reminding us to eat potatoes and sweet potatoes with our meals.  They're really good roasted in the oven with some olive oil and herbs.  Leftovers can go into a scramble or fritatta in the morning or a lunch salad.  I am not doing a whole30 right now, but I still try to use the meal template.  I just feel better when I do.  The plated fat is hard to get used to, but if you make your own mayo or dump ranch, it's super tasty.

I remember the Snackwell craze too!  Those devils food cookies were like amphetamines with all that sugar.  I ate them to stay awake to study.

Oh boy! I will start W30 on Monday, and had decided I wouldn’t use too much fat.  As a breast cancer survivor, I’m concerned about red meat and fat. BUT, I’m going for it. 30 days is not forever...so I’m going to add the fat. Smh...

WooHoo @Tricie!!! Yes, please, eat the fat. It doesn't have to come from red meat although I'm happy to be eating red meat again with confidence. But give 100% to this program - really dig into it with your whole heart. It's been amazing for me.

Frankly, while I'm hesitant to jump on any more dietary band wagons, I think getting off of sugar has been the best thing in my life! I'm firmly in the Sugar is Bad camp now :lol:.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, kirbz said:

Also, just in case you haven't seen them, here are a couple of super useful resources to help you with your meal planning: 

I'm so glad you posted these links @kirbz! Here's my question though as a Whole30 rebooter (1st W30 in April 2018) who's trying to refresh on the rules: Is the article listed not in direct contradiction with the whole30 meal template? Specifically for pre- and post- workout suggestions? I was trying to remind myself of the guidelines this morning before my workout when I came across the above-mentioned article. Just curious as I really want to hone in on those workout meals this go-round. 

As for the OP question, I agree with the above comments. Increasing both my fat intake and adding potatoes has significantly helped with hunger! 

• Moderators

@FabFitB4_40 the article linked is updated guidance on pre and post-workout foods. If you've been doing what the meal template says and it works for you, it is fine to keep doing that, but in the years since the template was developed, there have been changes in what is recommended, and the article reflects those changes.

@FabFitB4_40 Haha, I get you. That article blew my mind a little bit when I first saw it! Because, well, It Starts with Food and the Meal Template are like my Whole30 holy books. And now they're wrong! *Gasp* 

Generally speaking, what I got from that article is this: 

• Pre-Workout: 2-3 hours before workout; combination of protein and high-fiber carbohydrate
  • IntraWorkout (for continuous, moderate-to-high intensity workouts longer than 45 minutes): protein and fruit juice or fruit  
  • Post-Workout: within 60 minutes;  lean protein, high-fiber carbohydrates, and lots of veggies 

It basically sounds like fat is eliminated as part of pre-workout and replaced with carbs. And there's some good guidance on intra-workout, which is nice because I never understood that before. Otherwise, it seems pretty similar.

Note, I also asked about the Meal Template after first seeing the article and I was informed that it would be updated. But, who knows how long that will take... For now though, I'm planning to go with what I wrote above. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to start my third round of Whole30 soon and will give it a whirl when I do! 

Also, note that I started a new thread on this topic so we don't hijack this one: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/57089-new-pre-and-post-workout-guidelines-has-anyone-tried-it/. :-) 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived