Throwing away the scale.

Katelyn

I'm doing it.

After my Whole30 is over, I'm throwing away my scale.

I'm so sick of judging myself and my health based on that stupid number that shows up on the scale.

I'm so obsessed with the scale that I couldn't give it up during my Whole30 process (I'm on day 25 today.) I went about 2 days without it and then began weighing myself every day again. Thankfully, I've had good results so far, but every day that the scale doesn't move makes me question the effectiveness of Whole30.

My clothes are fitting better, I feel smaller, I have energy to workout, I'm sleeping well, I feel less tired, my skin is clearing up, and people have told me that I look thinner. So WHY does that stupid number feel so threatening and defining to who I am?

So that's it. I'm done. I'm never checking my weight again (aside from at doctor's appointments) after Whole30 is over. I will use other means to figure out the health of my body.

Instead of checking my weight on a scale, I will ask myself:

How do I feel?

How does my skin look?

How much energy do I have?

How easy is it to fall asleep? To stay asleep? To wake up?

How are my clothes fitting?

How are my workouts? Am I toning up, gaining muscle, losing fat, changing my body composition?

How is my digestion? How does my stomach feel and what are my BMs like?

How are my periods? (indication of my hormones)

So there it is. I will no longer have an answer when people ask me "have you lost weight?" or "how much weight have you lost?" I will proudly say "I don't know!" and be okay with that.

I don't want to look like anyone else. I don't even want to fit society's definition of beauty. I want to be myself, whether that means I'm 230 pounds or 130 pounds.

It's kind of scary and completely freeing at the same time. I'm excited to not be bound to this way of defining myself anymore.

I read a quote by J.K. Rowling on Pinterest today that was inspiring to me:

“I've got two daughters who will have to make their way in this skinny-obsessed world, and it worries me, because I don't want them to be empty-headed, self-obsessed, emaciated clones; I'd rather they were independent, interesting, idealistic, kind, opinionated, original, funny – a thousand things, before 'thin'. And frankly, I'd rather they didn't give a gust of stinking chihuahua flatulence whether the woman standing next to them has fleshier knees than they do. Let my girls be Hermiones, rather than Pansy Parkinsons. Let them never be Stupid Girls.†- J.K. Rowling

I hope this post is encouraging to the other women on this forum. You are so much more than the number on that scale. I know we've all heard that before, but take a few minutes to really think about it. How much more happy and less stressed you would be if you just didn't care about that number? Take Melissa and Dallas's advice and throw the scale away. Don't let it define you anymore!

If I can find the Whole9 Scale Manifesto for you, I will post it. It gives even more ways to check your health without a scale. I love the progress you have made and I love your list!

@slw600 - you're right, I don't actually know why I'm waiting. I guess I want to see the final number after Whole30 is over, but now that you mention it, I'm not sure why that is.

I started Whole30 as a weight loss tool. I know you're not supposed to, but let's be honest - a lot of people do! What I didn't expect was the complete change in my relationship with food. I officially have control over what I eat, and my cravings no longer exist. I can look at someone eating a bowl of ice cream and know that I'm better off without it, and I don't even want it. I never expected to be able to have this kind of self-control. I thought I'd always be a victim to my cravings and desires when it came to food, and that I'd just have to count calories to hopefully keep my cravings in control.

So, while I started this for weight loss, I'm not ending it for weight loss. The final number after these 30 days actually doesn't matter. So yeah, I guess today is the day to toss the scale. :)

@Nico - I'd love to read the Scale Manifesto! I will search for it! :)

I started Whole30 as a weight loss tool. I know you're not supposed to, but let's be honest - a lot of people do! What I didn't expect was the complete change in my relationship with food. I officially have control over what I eat, and my cravings no longer exist. I can look at someone eating a bowl of ice cream and know that I'm better off without it, and I don't even want it. I never expected to be able to have this kind of self-control. I thought I'd always be a victim to my cravings and desires when it came to food, and that I'd just have to count calories to hopefully keep my cravings in control.

I felt the exact same way after my first Whole30 except that I didn't weigh myself even once during the month. I forced myself to step on the scale at the start and finish of my second Whole30 because I thought I needed to know.

I'm on day 5 of my third round (though this one is a Whole60) and I did not weigh before I began. I have learned to be free of the scale and I feel so, so, so much better about myself as a result. I'll know if this round is successful...I certainly don't need the scale to tell me so.

I was scale obsessed (even though I knew that I'd never be 'light' or 'skinny') only a year ago. Now I am scale-free and let me tell you, it is AWESOME! You are absolutely making the right choice!!

It's funny, because when I was reading through ISWF, I thought to myself, "Ha! Yeah right. I'll never get rid of my scale. Try to make me." Haha. Now I'm doing it of my own free will! Definitely didn't expect that to happen. :)

@GLC1968 - I'm the same way; I know I'll never be "skinny" - my body just isn't made to be stick-thin. I'm curvy and more of a medium-build; I have the capacity to be strong and fit, but never skinny. I may never fit into the "healthy" range on the BMI scale because of it. I've always felt like I've had to be 160lbs or under to be healthy. It's refreshing to know that my BMI is not the only determining factor of my health!

@GLC1968 - I'm the same way; I know I'll never be "skinny" - my body just isn't made to be stick-thin. I'm curvy and more of a medium-build; I have the capacity to be strong and fit, but never skinny. I may never fit into the "healthy" range on the BMI scale because of it. I've always felt like I've had to be 160lbs or under to be healthy. It's refreshing to know that my BMI is not the only determining factor of my health!

Yes! In fact, I always thought I had a good relationship with the scale. I knew it was just a number. I knew that it didn't 'define' me. I knew that my number would always be higher for my height and I liked that because it meant I had more muscle than some of my similarly sized friends. It wasn't until I started eating truly cleanly so that I could better hear what my body was telling me that I realized that I wasn't as 'good' with the scale as I thought I was. The first time I felt like I was making really good progress with my health and body image and then I stepped on that scale and saw a higher than expected number, my reaction shocked me! It felt like a kick in the stomach. It was only a number (one of many, of course!) and yet it totally affected my outlook. From that point on, I wanted to be free of it for good.

If it wasn't for Whole30, I never would have known that 1) I had such issues and 2) how it would even be possible to be free of it!

Throwing away the scale was the best thing I ever did for myself. I still do check my weight every here and there at the gym (sometimes curiosity kills the cat). I used to struggle with eating disorders (pretty severely, I was hospitalized at 78 pounds and force-fed for a while..not something I'd wish upon even my worst enemy), and would stress myself to pieces over even a .1 pound gain.

What I've learned is that the best means of measurement for me is three fold:

1. How do I feel?

2. How do my clothes fit?

3. What are my measurements? (I do measure myself every 2-3 months, hips, thighs, waist, arms)

As long as you feel good about yourself, and you're managing your health, everything else is just a number.

I'm on day 22 of my first w30 and I've gone from weighing myself DAILY :wacko: to cheating with my scale only 3 times in the last 22 days. Part of me doesn't want to get rid of the scale because I want to psychologically conquer it. I want to look at it, give it the finger and be able to walk away. Progress in my world would be going 30 whole days without weighing myself. I will get there. I will!

Good for you!! I'm having a VERY difficult time dumping the scale. I've been up and down the same 2lbs for the past 24 days. My clothes aren't fitting any better either, but I do appear leaner, or so I've been told. I only see it in my face.

The stress alone you are creating by worrying about the number on the scale is enough to cause your body to maintain that same weight! Let go of the scale, release the stress, and your body will take care of you. Cortisol is a powerful little bugger...read up on it to get a better understanding of what you are doing to yourself. Let the scale go!

Im a newbie, and on week 3 of my whole30 and this is so inspiring to me because I rely on my scale so much and I know it causes so much uneeded stress. I think I will throw out my scale too!! Its great advice, I know I am also gaining alot of muscle but I when I see the same number or only a one pound loss I get bummed so no more.

Thanks for the advice :)

• 3 weeks later...

Im a newbie, and on week 3 of my whole30 and this is so inspiring to me because I rely on my scale so much and I know it causes so much uneeded stress. I think I will throw out my scale too!! Its great advice, I know I am also gaining alot of muscle but I when I see the same number or only a one pound loss I get bummed so no more.

Thanks for the advice :)

muscle weighs more than fat---but it really doesn't matter; we are more than the measly sum of some meaningless numbers.(and, for the record, I'm now 2 months into no scales--and I feel fab)

Must be a day 25 epiphany thing. ;) I am also on day 25 of my first W30 and I had a staring contest with my scale this morning. Then I spent a while thinking about what it would mean to me to never use that as a tool to measure my value again. I have stayed off of it (except at the Dr's office at my physical this week but I have always hated her scale and I was fully clothed and had shoes on, so it doesn't count anyway!) and really feel that I am in a happier place because of it. I just keep thinking about how often people ask "How much have you lost?" (Yep, I'm a Yo-Yo-er) and how wonderful it will be to say "I have no idea, but I feel amazing!" I'm done staring it down. I'm getting rid of mine today too!

• 2 months later...

wow this is my problem. i too joined whole 30 as a weight loss tool.  The number on the scale can totally ruin my mood for my whole day. I have starved myself, counted every little calorie. measured everything, ect. in the past and im done with it. I am trying really hard to change my ways and focus on  3 healthy  meals a day. I am on day 3 lol- but i have been paleo (80/20) since April but i never gave myself a strick 30 days. So this is why I'm here. BUT I broke out the scale this morning and I saw nothing. I am completely upset in myself.. In the past I would of starved myself if i wasnt happy with the scale number but today i made myself a whole 30 breakfast and will continue on the day and keep reminding myself this is for my health and how I feel. I have a long 30 days to go but I'm ready!

Good luck, katie328!  It's very hard to get over the scale addiction....specifically, that bit about not seeing a loss when you think there should be one.  Even if you weigh in rarely, that can be a real punch to the solar plexus.... But I think you did GREAT in making yourself a proper W30 breakfast instead of panicking and trying something else!  

And of course, you know that weight does not equal worth OR appearance.  I've posted this link before, but I think it's worth a re-post.

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Keep up the good work!

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

I am on day 13 and woke up feel "Skinny" I really really really wanted to jump on the scale. I even texted my boyfriend to see if he might give me a boost to jump on it. 

I resisted the urge but it is getting harder and harder.

Keep resisting the urge... if it helps, think about it like this...

You woke up feeling skinny... which is FABULOUS!!!  What if the scale hasn't budged an inch? Would you be upset? Would you feel less skinny? Would it ruin your super awesome feeling about the fact that your hard work is clearly paying off in spades?

Here's a photo (I hope) of me,  37 days of Whole30 where the scale didn't budge an inch... THIS is why the scale is such a ridiculous tool!

https://instagram.com/p/p5ZoLPQ7Du/

I knew not getting on the scale would be hard so I purposely didn't get on for a starting weight. I decided it was better for me, mentally, not to know exactly how many pounds I've lost, and i knew if I knew my starting weight I'd be that much more tempted to check it as my 30 days racked up. I took the scale out of the bathroom where it was staring at me every morning, and put it in the guest bedroom - out of sight out of mind.  I am now focusing solely on how I feel, how my clothes feel (looser, btw), how my energy is, and how much I am enjoying this process. Especially now that I'm in the Tiger Blood phase!  Embrace the NSVs and dump that scale!

• Administrators

I knew not getting on the scale would be hard so I purposely didn't get on for a starting weight. I decided it was better for me, mentally, not to know exactly how many pounds I've lost, and i knew if I knew my starting weight I'd be that much more tempted to check it as my 30 days racked up. I took the scale out of the bathroom where it was staring at me every morning, and put it in the guest bedroom - out of sight out of mind.  I am now focusing solely on how I feel, how my clothes feel (looser, btw), how my energy is, and how much I am enjoying this process. Especially now that I'm in the Tiger Blood phase!  Embrace the NSVs and dump that scale!

Not getting on the scale beforehand is an awesome idea because then there is nothing to compare to.  Smart!  :D

Archived