almond butter/advacado/banana/coconut milk smoothie

Pdy246

Can I have almond butter, advocado, banana and cococut milk all blended together in a food processor? Or am I just trying too hard to find something sweet??? I thought I could have it on fruit as a kind of delicious dressing?

If you're on the whole 30, I don't think so. Smoothie-type concoctions are out. Too much like a SWYPO (sex with your pants on) treat and not real, unprocessed food. It'll be like taking all the natural sugars and fats in those yummy foods and injecting them straight in to your bloodstream!

Does sound delicious, though!

Yes, I'm an ignorant newbie (day 28/30). Also a doc who's trying to be a student of all this stuff. So, Jodea, is your discouragement of the smoothie on nutritional grounds, or psychological grounds? Because nutritionally, logically whether the components are consumed separately or in the aggregate, should it really make any difference? Psychologically, you may have a point. Ultimately, philosophically, what difference does it make if poor, sweet-starved Pdy246 gets a fix by pouring a small amount of the concoction on her apple slices. I am hopeful that as long as a nutrient source isn't in breech of the basic tenets of the program, then why not enjoy? I guess you'd have to monkey around with concepts like 'glycemic index' to really show a disadvantage of Pdy's recipe.

Anyway, maybe it is the psychological breech after all.

Liquid meals are pretty much out and discouraged .... Liquids don't hit the saity hormones the way digesting solid foods do....

Plus your concoction is, lets face it , a milkshake. Good ingredients, but a milkshake none the less. Plus look how much food you are ingesting and it's not even a meal.... No vegetable,no protein

Stick to the meal templates.... Palm to palm and half of protein, lots of various veggy, two thumbs of fat. Nuts and fruit very sparingly ( I use pretty much only as a salad condiment ).... Eat till you are full but not stuffed.... Drink plenty of water.

Nutritionally, it does not fit the Whole30 meal template, as Fenderbender pointed out. Unless you're

planning on pouring it on a steak. Psychologically you've answered your own question when admitting you are trying to find something sweet and wanting it as a "delicious dressing". And all of that on top of fruit would be probably pushing the limits of natural sugar too. Whole30 is as much about changing your relationship with food as it is about what you're actually eating. What I've started to do if I think I want something is ask myself would I be happy sitting down with a tin of salmon instead? If the answer is no then I know I'm not really hungry and it's really more of a emotional desire. There is soooo much yummy food you can have with W30 without trying to bend the rules. Enjoy it.

Sounds good nutritionally, the problem is drinking your nutrition like that will not make you feel full. Part of the reason for the Whole30 is to learn how to feel full again by avoiding "food without brakes." I would read It Starts With Food as it explains why to avoid smoothies.

Best of luck to you!

Try a sweet potato. I love them roasted whole (skin on) in the oven for about an hour. Then peel back the skin and it's all soft and so delicious when mashed up. Perhaps cook one in advance and then take it with you to your work out so all you have to do is peel and eat the minute you've finished.

Can we have almond milk?

I like to have a protein smoothie after my workouts....almond milk, protien powder and banana/strawberry blend.

Today is day 0....

I'm really struggling to figure out the PWO snack idea.

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

I much prefer lean protein after my workouts. As in, I go to my car and gobble up tuna, sardines or tri tip steak. I feel the carbs I have with my meals are enough. My muscles crave protein after my sessions. I workout HARD (in my mind anyway :) ). Flip tires, swing hedge hammers and pull sleds along with weights. I want real food..not powders and fruits. There is a ton of info here about pre and post wo foods. Look around in the w30 for athletes section.

So does this mean soup is out as well? I am guessing yes but curious for responses.

I make a soup of veggies + coconut milk + homemade chicken stock. I generally blend it up so I can drink it out of a mug and eat it with protein on the side.

No soup doesn't need to be out. Personally, and this may be just me, I do better when it's not fully blended but still has 'bits' in, if you know what I mean. Firstly soup is usually piping hot so you don't tend to drink it down the way you would a smoothie, unless you've got a cast-iron gullet that is :). Also you're still sticking to the meal template of having protein fats and veg. I think of my soup not so much as a liquid meal but a meal in liquid :)

So should smoothies be completely out? For breakfast, I usually have a green smoothie at least once a week. It doesn't have any dairy in it, just some fruit and spinach, maybe an avocado(which is technically a fruit, but has fat, so I figured I'd list it). I definately can do without this, but I do enjoy them, and feel full from it. Should I avoid smoothies completely? I also really like them when I have a cold, because they are smooth and don't hurt to swallow.

Michelle -

On an everyday basis, smoothies are not your best choice for a meal. Generally, they don't give you a reasonable balance of protein, veggies and fat (they're usually heavier on fruit than anythings else), and we think that balance is key to a successful Whole30. When you're sick, things change a bit. If all you can stomach is a smoothie, then that's better than saltines ;)

Yes, I'm an ignorant newbie (day 28/30). Also a doc who's trying to be a student of all this stuff. So, Jodea, is your discouragement of the smoothie on nutritional grounds, or psychological grounds? Because nutritionally, logically whether the components are consumed separately or in the aggregate, should it really make any difference? Psychologically, you may have a point. Ultimately, philosophically, what difference does it make if poor, sweet-starved Pdy246 gets a fix by pouring a small amount of the concoction on her apple slices. I am hopeful that as long as a nutrient source isn't in breech of the basic tenets of the program, then why not enjoy? I guess you'd have to monkey around with concepts like 'glycemic index' to really show a disadvantage of Pdy's recipe.

Anyway, maybe it is the psychological breech after all.

Hi zurfndog, I was thinking mainly from the psychological point of view but am also of the opinion that drinking your food is never as satisfying as eating it.

Michelle -

On an everyday basis, smoothies are not your best choice for a meal. Generally, they don't give you a reasonable balance of protein, veggies and fat (they're usually heavier on fruit than anythings else), and we think that balance is key to a successful Whole30. When you're sick, things change a bit. If all you can stomach is a smoothie, then that's better than saltines ;)

So is once a week (or just every once in a while, rather) okay? I know we are supposed to limit fruit, which I do, but I am sort of sick of veggies (and in some ways, just eating period) and needed something different, but fast. I'm always on the go, and my time is very limited. My solution was to make a quick "smoothie" with some protein on the side. I put smoothie in "" because I couldn't drink it. I still had to spoon it because I used frozen fruit. Example: this morning I had some organic beef sausage with a blend of coconut milk for my fat, half a banana, a few small strawberries, and a handful of blueberries. It wasn't sweet and I didn't see or think of it as a dessert. This isn't a habit for me, and I don't eat fruit often, but sometimes I just need something different. I think I'm stuck in a bit of a food rut.

@wj I asked this a few weeks ago and was told that while not suggested, smoothies weren't off limits as long as you added a protein to the meal and was not making it extra fruity and dessert like. I usually do one with kale, spinach, a banana, coconut water and maybe mango or pineapple. With the fruit being split 3 ways, you don't really end up taking in much sugar, you get at least a cup of leafy greens and I eat sausage, pork chop or something else meaty on the side. I don't do them everyday, but it makes being Whole30 easier for my family and therefore easier for me to stay on track.

• 3 weeks later...

My post today was pretty much the same question. However, while the smoothies are frowned upon, they can be compliant. Maybe it's not the true W30 way, but if you're busy and don't have the time to prep 3 meals (or more) a day, then its better than skipping a meal or falling off the program.

Hey, It's OK to eat Blueberries,,,,right?

It's ok to drink the expensive coconut milk.

So why not ad some ice and make a drink in the blender with just those 2 that you would eat at the same meal anyway?

Kinda sweet and good for you.

???????

Burl

Archived