Little problems

kokokelli

Hi all. I've just started my W30 and could use some advice...

First, I'm up before 6a each morning and out the door before 6:30p. My commute is at least an hour. We're supposed to eat Meal 1 within an hour of waking yes? The problem is that I'm really not very hungry before I leave the house. If I waited until I got to my office, that would be about 2.5 hours after waking. Would it be okay to wait that long?

Also, should I eat when I'm hungry? Or stick to a schedule? Should I eat even when I'm not hungry if it's been 4-5 hours since my last meal? Right now I'm trying to eat every 4-5 hours, which for me and my schedule, means 3 meals, plus 1 mini-meal. But sometimes I kind of dread meal time because I'm just not hungry.

And finally, any tips for making this lifestyle more affordable would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't eating too terribly bad before, but I'm spending about twice the amount on food now. The cost of protein will kill you.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to W30 kokokelli! :) These forums are a great resource for information!

While I did my W30, I did not eat within an hour of waking because it was just easier for me to put together a breakfast and lunch the night before, get ready, get to work, then eat. I am just not that hungry when I first wake up. Can you prep some easy things to eat in the car on the way to work like hard-boiled eggs, veggie sticks (carrots, celerey, peppers), rolled up compliant meat in lettuce with sliced avocado, etc.? Remember, breakfast doesn't have to be the conventional cereal, eggs, oatmeal,...

I eat 3 meals a day. Timewise, it's more out of habit as far as when I eat. When I am not hungry, I just try to eat at least the minimum template meal (this doesn't happen often! :huh: ) This is something you will need to figure out what works best for you. Gauge your energy levels to see if you are getting enough at your meals to carry you over to the next one.

W30 can definitely be expensive if you don't plan. Grass-fed meats are NOT cheap unless you know the farmer who owns the cows and they give you a good deal! There are definitely ways to succeed without breaking the bank! I look to see what the Friday deal is at Whole Foods which is normally a protein of sorts and their weekly sale ad. Trader Joe's has some of the best prices on a consistent basis if you happen to have one in your area. Here are a few posts that give a bunch of great ideas for doing this on a budget...

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9935-tips-for-saving-money/page__fromsearch__1

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/9559-spending-way-too-much-on-groceries/page__fromsearch__1

Good luck on your new adventure!! B)

First, I'm up before 6a each morning and out the door before 6:30p. My commute is at least an hour. We're supposed to eat Meal 1 within an hour of waking yes? The problem is that I'm really not very hungry before I leave the house. If I waited until I got to my office, that would be about 2.5 hours after waking. Would it be okay to wait that long?

One of our goals in the whole30 is to get your hormones and hunger cues straightened out. If everything is in balance you SHOULD be hungry first thing when you wake up. That said, you might have to eat breakfast when you are not terribly hungry in order for your body to get the message and catch up. Pre-whole30 I used to workout fasted every single morning (and drink a green smoothie with protein powder afterwards :o ), and I didn't ever have issues with hunger in the morning (I WAS often hungry an hour or two post-smoothie, though). Now I have a hard boiled egg first thing when I wake up, then workout, then have raw veggies and sliced beef for breakfast an hour or two later. I'm always hungry for that egg, and I think it is a good thing. Both my performance and my body composition are improving considerably as a result. As far as eating when not hungry otherwise, it kind of depends...I wouldn't force myself to have a 4th "mini-meal" just because I thought I should, but I would try to get three meals fitting the template into my day, adjusting them as needed until I find I am hungry for them consistently.

Thanks for the replies.

Eating in the car isn't really an option as I don't have one. :) I live in NYC and take the subway. Don't really care to eat as the train jerks around.

I usually eat a piece of pork, broccoli and mushroom fritatta for breakfast and a few dices of mango, which I love.

I don't force the mini-meal. When I get up and eat by 6:30a, I'm usually hungry by 10:30a-11a, so I eat the mini-meal then. I usually eat a proper lunch around 3p-3:30p before I leave the office to get on the train, because I know I'll be hungry by about 4:30p or 5p, but I'll be on the train again at that point. And then, I usually eat dinner before 7p. Maybe I should eat a real meal at 10:30a, eat lunch at 3p and skip a later meal altogether. I bet I'd be hungry by morning then. ;)

Will keep experimenting and see how it goes. Thanks again.

I agree with missmary - I was NEVER hungry in the morning and since my whole30 I ate in the morning because it said so :rolleyes: . it sets you off for a great day, in my opinion. I would say, at least at first, to eat 3 scheduled meals whether you are hungry or not, let your body adjust, and once you are eating three meals at regular intervals you can change how much you eat based on your hunger level. make sense?

eta: I now eat breakfast every morning because I am hungry. but another thing I found out is I didn't eat because my mornings consisted of downing lots of creamy sweet coffee. my body has definitely changed!

Kokokelli - glad I'm not the only one who hates coffee but loves the smell! Another idea for eating at work that I've done is to crack eggs into a very water-tight container, season, whip, and bring to work to microwave. 1-1.5 minutes, stir, then cook until they're inflated. They get impressively large until the heat is removed, so definitely give them some room! I've also added stuff to the eggs before cooking and it works well too.

I used to not eat breakfast. I'd wake up, have my coffee and half and half and eat a couple hours later. As Jess said, my creamy coffee was messing with my hunger.

When I was working, I'd often not eat till hours after I woke up, sometimes after working out at 6am (after an hr subway ride from Brooklyn to midtown).

But I will echo what MM said about one of the goals of the W30 being getting back in touch with hunger cues and getting your hormones back on track.

Now I am starving when I wake up. If I don't eat within that first hour or so I will spend the rest of the day feeling sluggish, snacky and unmotivated. I can never seem to catch up. During my w30 I even suffered dizziness a few times after having a very late breakfast and/or lunch.

There is a section in ISWF that discusses why your hormones work best when you're eating breakfast on waking (or close to) and then every four-five hours.

All that being said, changing my eating schedule has been the hardest part of this WOE for me. I still haven't mastered not eating a late dinner. :(

Can I ask why you have to eat every 4-5 hours? Is it because it's recommended by health enthusiasts to eat mini-meals or because your life/work schedule dictates it? Are you working out so you need a pre-/post-work out meal in addition to your other meals?

I used to think I was supposed to eat 5-6 mini meals or 3 regular meals then 2 snacks. I have been very satisfied eating 3 meals and never feel like snacking. My Breakfast is usually at 8:00, Lunch at 1:00, and Dinner at 7:00. It took some getting used to in the beginning but I got over it.

Well, first, the book says to eat every 4-5 hours, and I'm a rule follower. :)

Secondly, as I said, I normally eat by 6:30a so I'm usually pretty hungry by 10:30a or 11a, so I eat a mini meal at that time. Then I usually eat my lunch around 3:30p because I'm about to get on a train for another hour and a half or 2 hours, and I know I'll get really hungry during that time. Plus, I don't like to eat past 7p, so if I eat at 3:30p, a little before 7p seems like a good time for dinner.

I think that for as many waking hours as I have and the rule that you're supposed to eat within an hour of waking sort of dictates 3+ meals a day. If it would be okay for me to wait about two hours after I wake up and eat my breakfast around 8a, I think I could pretty easily make it on the 3 meals though, as I'm usually not so hungry in the a.m.

Well, first, the book says to eat every 4-5 hours, and I'm a rule follower. :)

Oops! Missed that part! :D I was focused on 3 meals per day. My feeling is that if one of the points of W30 is to build a better relationship with food, we need to do what works best for us while still following the guidelines as well as we can. For me, that means I do not eat within an hour of waking. I am never hungry when I first wake up so I don't eat. My meal times have worked great for me and I am not obsessing about food and if I am eating at the right time like I did before.

Well the book also says to get 8 hours of sleep a night so by 10pm you should be in bed not eating another meal if you get up before 6am. I know that isn't always realistic but you did say you were a rule follower. ;-) In all seriousness I usually get up around 6 and have found myself having to make myself stop doing and go to bed. Sleep is such a major part of this. I usually eat breakfast between 6 and 7 and am fine until noon and then have dinner between 5 & 6.

Could you perhaps have a mini meal when you first wake up, & then do a full breakfast when you get to te office? That way you have something in your stomach for your body to use, and then can last until the 3pm point to have lunch?

6am mini-meal

8:30am meal 1

2pm meal 2

7pm meal 3

Not ideal, but maybe the best thing to get to know your hunger cues. Later on you can always eat meal 1 when waking & find that you can last a longer period of time before eating again

I am on day 9 of my first whole30 and I must have missed the part where it says to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up. the only problem I have is that I take a medication first thing in the morning that has to be taken on an empty stomach and I cannot eat within an hour of taking it. so eating within an hour of waking up wouldnt be an option for me. is this a make it or break it thing? how bad is it that i wake up at 5 and dont eat breakfast until 8-9? I worry that if I eat earlier I will be so hungry by the time lunch comes around (I work and have to go at a specific time) that I wouldnt make it. oh man. now I am all sorts of confused.

...so eating within an hour of waking up wouldnt be an option for me. is this a make it or break it thing? how bad is it that i wake up at 5 and dont eat breakfast until 8-9?

Your med instructions take precedence! ;) I think you wouldl be fine waiting until 8:00 to eat unless you are really hungry and you push it off so you can eat later. I wake up at 6:00 and don't eat until after 8:00 and I had a wonderful W30 experience! Whole30 is about building a better relationship with food and obsessing about things like this only hinder progress. The most important thing is to listen to your body and how you feel. At least that's my take.... B)

Hi Jess, as Jinkse said your meds take precedence - don't mess with them. Ideally we'd all eat within an hour of waking, it's what's best for us hormonally but sometimes our schedule mahes that difficult. :ph34r: I don't always manage that myself :ph34r:. We all just do the best we can. If you can manage something earlier that would be great, if you can't I'm sure you'll still get loads of benefit from your W30. good luck

You guys are killing me! Coffee messes with us? Ugh. What about cacao (Crio Bru)?

I'm a recovering Intermittent Faster. The gym I was involved with for the past few years jumped from program to program for us to try as the owner found new and amazing ways to get fit and lose pounds (with, of course, an added cost to participate). I've stuck with the Paleo lifestyle for the most part (if sugar is Paleo, I'm perfect), and really latched on to the IF part of eating. I will often go 18 hours in between meals. I'm finding that I am insatiable between 10-2, but now I guess I'm thinking that is because I wait to eat until 10-11am? Trying to break that habit, but it seems to be a hard one to end.

I did switch from coffee to Crio Bru with some full fat coconut milk (anyone ever have Bullet Proof coffee from Mark's Daily Apple?), but added a small amount of caffeinated coffee back in because it helps with my blood pressure which can be very, very low.

My husband seems to have a very healthy relationship with food. He eats immediately upon getting up, and that always made me feel nauseous to watch. He is the epitome of health, so perhaps I should pay attention.

Habits sure are hard to break!!!! Sorry to hijack this question and make it all about me.

About the cost of protein: what are you eating? Grass fed beef? With the reading I've done, I now only buy grass fed beef. The health benefits of corn fed beef just aren't there so I spend the extra money. If you have a freezer, consider finding a farmer who will sell you 1/2 grass fed cow or go in with a local friend/family member and purchase it. They also often raise other animals for sale, too.

http://www.eatwild.com/

You guys are killing me! Coffee messes with us? Ugh.

I think they just mean that it isn't recommended to use coffee to 'tide you over' until breakfast, or to replace your first meal. I know that pre-W30 I had a bad habit of sipping coffee for a few hours until getting around to breakfast. They just want you to be fueling yourself properly. If you can manage to eat at an appropriate time and coffee doesn't mess with that for you, then it's all good to keep drinking! I limited myself to 2 cups per morning with either good coconut milk or homemade almond milk.

I think they just mean that it isn't recommended to use coffee to 'tide you over' until breakfast, or to replace your first meal. I know that pre-W30 I had a bad habit of sipping coffee for a few hours until getting around to breakfast. They just want you to be fueling yourself properly. If you can manage to eat at an appropriate time and coffee doesn't mess with that for you, then it's all good to keep drinking! I limited myself to 2 cups per morning with either good coconut milk or homemade almond milk.

Good to know. I use the Crio Bru to help keep me "regular". I have pelvic organ prolapse now, in part due to chronic constipation carrying back to childhood. Keeping regular is key to feeling OK for me.

My favorite rule is "Don't overthink." :D Sometimes I eat before I leave for work, sometimes I bring my breakfast with me and eat at work. It just depends on what time I wake up and what time I want to get to work. I don't worry about whether or not it's within an hour. I try to eat 3 meals a day, but sometimes need a snack. I try to space out my meals so that I will be hungry for dinner with the family, as that is important to me. I think we should all do the best we can.

My favorite rule is "Don't overthink." Sometimes I eat before I leave for work, sometimes I bring my breakfast with me and eat at work. It just depends on what time I wake up and what time I want to get to work. I don't worry about whether or not it's within an hour. I try to eat 3 meals a day, but sometimes need a snack. I try to space out my meals so that I will be hungry for dinner with the family, as that is important to me. I think we should all do the best we can.

SUCH a great attitude!!

Archived