LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

You have an intense week coming up, good luck with getting it all done and enjoying it.

Simplicity sounds excellent.  Great to have a plan you are willing to flow as needed.  And I think your food plan sounds good.  Reducing/eliminating processed foods and sugars has been my take away from the W30.

Big congrats on your huge scale victory.  That is AWESOME!   :D

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Took my last glorious beach day yesterday and it was truly magnificent. The colors of Lake Michigan, the sky, and the dune grasses were spectacular. The water was a gorgeous blue-green with a navy blue way out. Stunning. Got a little too much sun, but that seems about right. Kind of like the first day of the season at the beach--so it was a proper bookend.

Then had an extraordinary meal made by my new dear friend's daughter in law--it was a farm-to-table meal served in their beautiful home overlooking a river. Fresh corn chowder with bacon and tomatoes, roasted eggplant, marinated yellow tomatoes with cured olives, a green bean salad, and faro pasta with broccoli followed by homemade rhubarb and grape nut ice cream. I almost passed on this meal because of how not compliant it was, but I'm SO glad I accepted the gracious invitation. It was one of the finest meals I've ever had--in a beautiful setting with wonderful company to boot. So, it's good to be flexible. And today I woke up feeling good and ready to get back to the template. No harm done.

Off to barre class then all kinds of errands before doing a review tonight. Still have a lot to get done before I leave Wednesday, but I trust it will all fall into place.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. Reading about your wonderful writing residency at an ashram and hoping you are totally loving it. Sounds like a dream come true and I am more than little envious. Can't wait to hear how it goes so I can live vicariously through you. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Hello friends!

I'm back. And it's hard to know where to begin. I feel refreshed and renewed by my time away. Solitude on Lake Superior full of luxurious hikes followed by an incredible month surrounded by loving souls on 800 acres of forest does a girl good. I hiked, I canoed, I taught tons of yoga and writing classes to eager students, I meditated in community every day, and I established a wonderfully fruitful writing practice. Life was truly elemental, and everyone was dedicated to selfless service as a spiritual practice and way of life. We created and held space for ourselves and each other. We recognized the divine in each other and ourselves--as well as every living thing (including the moon and stars, it seemed) and behaved with appropriate reverence. 

Movement boiled down to daily yoga and hiking. I also spent most every afternoon on my feet in the kitchen preparing the evening meal. Which leads me to food. Definitely not W30 in any way. But honestly, it was a good break for me. I had my moments of food/body panic, but they happened predictably, days before my period started. The food was all vegetarian centered on the harvest from the glorious organic garden that was more like a small farm. I picked kale and cabbage and dug up potatoes and prepared them minutes later. Pumpkins and butternut squash and mustard greens and beautiful tender salad greens for days. I also fell back in love with homemade granola and grassfed yogurt/kefir/whole milk and may have even indulged in sprouted grain toast with sunflower seed butter and local honey once or twice. I savored and enjoyed and ate most of my meals in conscious gratitude with others.

I explored the cities and towns nearby about once a week, and a couple times this included partaking in the exceptional offerings from local brew pubs (which may or may not have included a very sweet romance. Ahem.). I cannot lie: I enjoy a good porter. For this, I suffered, though I wouldn't say I overindulged. And this was the worst of my gluten indulgence, and I can't say I won't do it again. 

Here's how I've been eating since I returned home: aside from a few celebratory reunions, I'm working to get back to three meals a day. Meal 1: tea with whey and MCT oil; Meal 2: something that looks like the template, lately crock pot salsa chicken with avocado stuffed into romaine hearts. Meal 3: a tasty soup. 

My sugar cravings came back with a vengeance, which suggests to me I need the template again and certainly more protein. So, I'm working on it. I know I'm not ready to do a Whole30, though I have in mind that I'll hop on board with the January one. Anyone else thinking the same? (Sorry, I haven't caught up on y'all's logs yet).

Anyway, the upshot is I feel happy and balanced. Less obsessed with food and my body. Oh, and guess what? My weight is not only stable, but at my annual this past week with a new doc, he said my BMI has been going down over the years, and at most I might could lose another 6-8 pounds. Though he acknowledged that BMI is pretty much useless and that all my bloodwork is great, so it's no worries. He certainly doesn't want me to "diet," he said. Turns out my TSH is low right now, and I'm OK with that because I feel so good, and FMD has her eye on it. We're working on coming off some of the supplements over the next year, but only when my body is ready. 

So, that's me in a nutshell right now. Working to tame the sugar dragon and eliminate snacking as well as find my groove back home. Writing has temporarily gone by the wayside, and I'm needing to return to the good rhythm and practice I established up north. I've returned to barre and bootcamp classes and can tell I have definitely lost strength. I also think I may have an injury, perhaps a tear somewhere in my left quad, so I'm being as gentle as possible while also attempting to build strength elsewhere. It will come back.

And next week I begin my regular yoga teaching at the barre studio. Very exceed about that. I wish you all could come!

Sounds like you had the spiritual, emotional, and physical rest you needed.  So happy for you to be in such a good place.

I wish I could take that yoga class with you, I can imagine you being an excellent teacher.

Glad to see you back.

• Moderators

Thank you, friends!

No one showed up for my first yoga class Tuesday morning, but I had eager and terrific students last night and this morning, so all is well. 

Workouts are good and uneventful. Might try to squeeze in another bootcamp class this weeks, but I'm doing plenty of barre, yoga, and walking to my heart's content. Still missing the woods--can't seem to find deep enough woods near the city, but I'll keep trying,

Today is for writing. Haven't sat down to it in too long. Deadline tomorrow, so that will help.

Had a delightful dinner party Tuesday night--a vegetarian Indian feast complete with a vegan gluten-free chocolate cake that had avocado and beets in it. Folks loved it, so I was a happy gal. 

Kind of making a slow transition from the vegetarian month. I'm still loving my oatmeal and rice and mung beans and lentils and aduki beans. And yogurt. Just going to roll with it. Yes, I'm still struggling with some sugar cravings, but they're not derailing me altogether. Feeling pretty certain that a W30 in January is the way for me, but we'll see. 

Cleaning, writing, and a movie on tap for today. I might head to a coffee shop to write this morning. May need a change of scenery. I hope y'all all have a golden day!

I hope you have a fulfilling writing session.  It looks like a good day for a movie here, rainy and gloomy.

I am surrounded by woods.  Hopefully you can find some spots that are accessible.

As for your eating, if you are feeling good, then that is what is important.  You sound like you are in a good place.

• Moderators

Home again for a spell before heading back to the beach for more writing. No one showed up for yoga again this morning, but folks have promised to come tomorrow night and Thursday morning, so it's cool. Needed to come back last night anyway to meet with a student, so I squeezed in a bootcamp class followed by a core work class followed by a barre class followed by group chanting. That was after climbing stairs and walking the beach midday. Phew! Lemme tell you: I slept like a log last night! And this morning I am sore. Went ahead and did the yoga class I prepared, so I'm feeling well prepped to physically rest and get back to writing.

The weather has been so glorious here I've been walking the beach barefoot. In November! Can you believe it? It's nice to learn my beloved beach isn't just for summer.

I'm continuing to eat what makes me feel good right now, though when I went into the office yesterday hunting for a document I discovered a dark chocolate bar with orange pieces. I happened to be hungry and scarfed it down. :ph34r: Still succumbing to that sugar dragon more than I'd like (pie Saturday, cinnamon roll Sunday, oy), but I'm not beating myself up about it. I think I'm experiencing the Nadia Effect right now. Though I also know my metabolism and other hormonal functions are in a much better place than they once were. Must not abuse this fact.

We're planning to do a Whole30 at the barre studio as a community challenge in January, and I'll be helping lead the charge. That will be fun. But also: must not use this as an excuse to go hog wild through the holidays. My aim is to simply eat three reasonable meals a day, not overeat, not over drink, continue to exercise and meditate and just do what I can to feel happy and free. Vague, I know, but that's where I am.

My birthday is a week from today and I think I'm going to host an open house with plenty of wine and my favorite party foods, almost all of which are compliant. But there will be cake because I f&$#ing love cake. And it's my birthday.

This weekend I'll be in Detroit to see Stevie Wonder with my buds and we'll likely eat somewhere wonderful, though they're on the W30 crossfit bandwagon, so we'll see how that's changed their behavior (and therefore mine!). Thanksgiving I'll be in Chicago with my BFF who's flying in from Memphis, and then there will be reunions with other friends home for the holidays. I'm pretty much anticipating a whirlwind on the way, but it's all stuff I'm thrilled about. Must stay calm and present and enjoy every moment. That's my aim. All love. No fear.

I grew up on Lake Superior and love the beach in November!  Usually, it's colder than this, but even then for some reason I find the grey, stormy, November skies and waters calming.  Love the big November waves, too!  My bedroom was at the back of the house, on the lake side, so I'd crack my windows and fall asleep to the waves.  I miss that!

My holiday goals are the same - three normal meals and exercise some self control on the treats. 

Sounds like a lot of fun events coming up!  I know you'll enjoy them completely!

• Moderators

I grew up on Lake Superior and love the beach in November!  Usually, it's colder than this, but even then for some reason I find the grey, stormy, November skies and waters calming.  Love the big November waves, too!  My bedroom was at the back of the house, on the lake side, so I'd crack my windows and fall asleep to the waves.  I miss that!

My holiday goals are the same - three normal meals and exercise some self control on the treats. 

Sounds like a lot of fun events coming up!  I know you'll enjoy them completely!

Gitche-Gumee is so mystical. What a gift to have grown up on its shores, Jen.

I feel like having the same goals and intentions for the holidays really helps support each other. Thank you!

I am also aiming for calm over the holidays.  And to keep lots of movement which also seems to inform my eating (more exercise seems to lead to better eating).

All love. No fear. I am also aiming for this over the holidays.  Take it all in and enjoy it.

Wish I could be there for your birthday, sounds fab!  :D  I'm a little jealous of your beach walks.  I love the beach and miss it.

• Moderators

The weekend was fabulous. Not only did I get to see Stevie Wonder pull out all the stops in Motown, but I also got a hug from Amma, aka the human incarnation of the divine mother. It's a yoga thing. Amazing experience. I felt like Amma re-magnetized the electric currents of my heart and then Stevie filled it all the way up with his 3.5 hour show. I'm still processing.

Now gearing up for my birthday party Tuesday night, which should be lovely. Made the hummus last night, and it's pretty delish, if I do say so myself. Hard boiled eggs, caponata, pickled shrimp are all on the to-make list today. Lots of wine and some kind of desserty something or other, too. I had a mini-pastry assortment from the freezer at Costco in my hand, but I just cannot serve pre-made stuff to my guests. Really glad I put it back, because I had a bit of a sugar attack last night and probably would have gotten into them if they'd been in the freezer.

Getting pretty tired of eating out. I guess that's a good thing. It will come to a stop after Thanksgiving. Craving simple. So grateful I won't have Thanksgiving leftovers. 

Got back to meditation and yoga first thing today. So good. Must remember it's non-negotiable. Seriously. Meditation takes me 10-15 minutes, and I did a 25-minute asana practice. Totally changes the course of the day. So worth it.

OK, lots to tend to today. Making space for writing before FMD, then lunch with a friend, pick up a few things for tomorrow's prep, coffee with another friend, bootcamp, and must do some cleaning somewhere in there. Yikes. Better get to it!

• Moderators

I wish you could have come to my party, too! It was a grand success. A truly happy birthday filled with friends, laughter, and warm feelings all around. It was, however, the beginning of my undoing as far as food is concerned, and I still haven't gotten rid of all the leftovers! I thought I was doing great because I wasn't preparing Thanksgiving, but ugh. Anyway. Onward and Upward.

Spent t-gives in Chicago with my BFF and we had a fantastic time despite the fact that I lost my wallet. :rolleyes: Ate and drank pretty extravagantly and walked a million miles and laughed our arses off. Met up with friends from out of town, had lunch with a friend, had breakfast with a different friend out. Ate all the leftover baklava in a pms sweets fit. Oy. But have continued to exercise plenty and am trying not to beat myself up too badly. But it has to stop now. Really need to get the sugar dragon under control. So, back to template with a focus on veggiesveggiesveggies, no choice, for at least the next three days. Weekend social events include me cooking dinner, and that will be template, too. No drinking for the foreseeable future. I've had my fun, and now it's time to take better care with myself.

Taught a good yoga class today and feel very happy that a student said multiple times, "My body just feels so good after that." Mission accomplished. What a wonderful thing it is to share yoga with people. It was her second time doing yoga.

I've been spending as much time as possible walking--in cities and in nature. My body feels good in that regard. And teaching yoga means I'm doing yoga at least three times a week. Bootcamp twice a week and barre whenever I can squeeze it in. I'll be back to a routine this month and that will feel good. It feels like there's no falling off the exercise bandwagon for me at this point, but food still feels a little precarious. So that is my focus as far as my health is concerned. I know part of it is TOM making me feel like Stay Puft, and that will pass within the next week. And the salted caramels and chocolate covered almonds need to find a new home. It's veggies, protein, fat, and lots of my delicious kimchee and booch to get things back to where they need to be. In the meantime, I'll be patient and grateful and loving and kind with myself. Can we all do that, please?

And who else is considering the January W30? Anyone?

In the meantime, I'll be patient and grateful and loving and kind with myself. Can we all do that, please?

And who else is considering the January W30? Anyone?

I'm in for the first, but out for the second.  Although I may consider doing something, just not a full W30.  I will contemplate.

Glad you had a wonderful party and Tgiving.  Yay!  And now here is to calm eating.

Oh and Happy Birthday!  :D

• Moderators

Epic fail yesterday on my resolve. And now all the sweets are in the bin. What a relief! Sugar creates drama, indeed.

Speaking of drama, yesterday I found a dead bat among a load of clothes freshly pulled from the dryer. Yes, I screamed like a little girl, and yes, I washed and dried the load of jeans again. Yikes!

My body is incredibly sore from two straight days of bootcamp and two yoga classes yesterday. But it feels good to feel sore--you know how that goes. Decided to take a rest from barre today, and plan to hit the gym again this evening before I teach a yin class tonight. Massage tomorrow, yippee!

And today will be a calm and happy eating day, one about which I'll wake up tomorrow feeling proud.

Dead bat - Ugh!  How did that get in there???

Glad you decided to ditch the treats, sometimes that is the only way.  I had to throw away a few pieces of delicious cheesecake and make sure I dumped real garbage on top, just to stop any idea of craving!

Hope you are feeling proud this morning!

Archived