Definitely request a fridge and then find a grocery nearby to load up on snacks.  That way, if you have to have just a small dinner because you can only eat certain things, you know you have some yummy options back in your room for later.  Travel is hard! 

When we traveled to CA the past two spring breaks, we loaded up at Trader Joe's when we got there and ate breakfast and lunch from our own groceries and then dinner out.  That gave me some comfort that we (but mostly my allergy kid) were eating good for us food most of the day.  That way, if we splurged a bit at dinner, it wasn't as damaging as eating junk all day.  It worked very well and I don't think my son threw up the whole week.  If we'd been eating out all day every day, I would have had many a long night up with him.  So, food is medicine and you are totally justified in asking for a fridge! 

Another story on that thread - 12 years ago, my husband and I planned and paid for a trip that included a stop in Nairobi.  Before we left, I found out I was pregnant so I couldn't get the shots.  So, I actually packed all of my own food AND water in my suitcase. It was a lot of crackers and such, but still, pretty impressive.  Luckily, we were only there for 36 hours and after almost 24 hours of travel time, I was too tired to be hungry. 

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hotel room has a fridge and a microwave. It's only a 1.5 hour flight so I can pack cut veggies, apples etc. I will go to Trader Joes today for some individual packets of almonds of the almond dried cranberry mix. That might keep me out of the candy bowl. I'm happy to eat leftover protein from dinner for breakfast

Sunday morning. Slept well. All packed for my trip tonight. Going to the art museum to see wonderful exhibitions today.

I think I've done everything I can to have a successful trip. I'm glad I'm not on W30 because I have more leeway with my food. My goal is to feel good. I don't think it's reasonable to think I won't eat a ny flour products. I do think it's reasonable to have a goal to not put myself face down in the candy bowl. My wanter appears to not be healed yet. I see things and I want them, even knowing I will feel less than optimally if I indulge and will gain weight. I'm going to keep that in mind. It's so not worth it. Restauant meals are big. I'll bring back protein from dinner to have for breakfast before the meeting. I'm taking my workout clothes so that I can get in some activity in th morning.

What I really don't want is caffeine. I don't want to get that coffee thing going again, even one cup.

I'm looking forward to today and won't let fear get in my way. On a side note, fun date with J yesterday. I think I want to date others as well.

Happy Sunday!

When travelling, I look for places which make steak for breakfast (or have good bacon), rather than the "muffin buffet". If you can call ahead, talk to the chef and let them know how many breakfasts you'll be there for, good chefs love a challenge they can plan for, hotel chefs are often more flexible (try another hotel's chef and let them know yours isn't being accommodating, they love to beat the competition!).

Emergency tuna tins are good for work trips (the little ones that are too small for a meal), with self-peeling lids. The italian-style "white tuna" (albacore) is the least smelly in closed spaces, especially if it's in olive oil.

Watch out for restaurant asian food if you don't/can't talk to the chef. Catering/restaurant sauces often contain: wheat in everything soy, unfermented soy, sugars and some can contain weird thickeners and MSG. Lots of commercial asian tofu also contains wheat (the puffy kind and the crispy kind). I find anything with soy sauce makes me feel pretty sick, but slots of people tolerate soy and wheat much better than I do :)

Thai, Vietnamese and Malaysian are much easier (less soy!) for me than Chinese (although I love Chinese, especially Hong Kong and Cantonese), they make a lot more of their sauces from scratch. Malaysian Duck Laksa, no noodles, gluten free and extra veggies usually gets me more than I can eat :)

Honey, I'm home! San Diego was not a food success. I learned a lot about where I am on the healthy about food choices emotional levels. Let's just say I have a lot to learn. Some worth it, some not. I came home with a few extra bonus points, then had two good dates over the weekend. One involved delicious oh so worth it food. I'm not eating template right now because I'm eating very low carb. I've successfully removed the 3.5 pounds I found in San Diego by watching my intake carefully. I have only 15 days till Europe trip and want to shed a few more pounds before I go. I haven't been low carb much this year, so perhaps I can do it.

I missed all of my Pilates classes last week. Not a lick of exercise all week until a walk in the woods yesterday for 90 minutes. Pilates today and several more times this week.

Highlight of San Diego trip was the Del Mar Day at the Races with my coworkers. Have not been to the track as an adult. I won 5 of 7 races. Beginners luck I'm told. I see why people get addicted! Spent $25 came home with $90. Not a bad afternoon.

I've missed you all. I've been reading email updates from your logs but have missed the interaction. Glad to be back! :)

Good luck, hope you can avoid the coffee. I take some cinnamon or licorice tea bags with me, then I don't feel so deprived when everyone else is coffeeing

Coffee was about the only thing besides alcohol that I avoided. That said, I did have a glass of wine with dinner on Friday night.

I've learned that I don't react to anything, though I do think that flour makes my hands swell a bit. I'm happy to not have allowed caffeine back in!

Good Morning. I miss all of you. I think I will want to do a W when my travels are over, just for the community if nothing else!

I'm doing really well. I've experimented some.

Wheat makes me sleepy

I've had 1 glass of wine. Don't know if it was the wine or lack of sleep that left me groggy.

No reaction to dairy.

Still have not tested eggplant or egg whites.

Nightshades aren't my best friends. Tomatoes burn my tummy. Hot spices irritate me. Never knew that before!

I love veggies. I like eating fruit better than low carb and scale results appear to be the same.

I'm still not great when faced with dark chocolate so only allowd it a couple of times since finishing W75. Had to be worth it.

I still don't do well at ou of town work conferences. Make poor choices.

Everything is great in my life right now. Fired J and have a budding romance with omeone who delights me. Leaving for Europe on Tuesday for two weeks. So excited and delighted to spend time laughingband playing with Zach.

Find Joy! :)

I can't believe I never read your posts before!  They're super inspiring.  I'd love to walk in Spain as well, but haven't really thought about it terms of "it could happen".  I found Whole30 and the template pretty liberating as well, but I still manage to give in to the wants and my old patterns.  It's a process.  Hope your trip is wonderful.

Calee so good to hear from you! Glad things are going well! Nightshades tend to set my tummy ablaze too in differing amounts (bell peppers being the worst) though I've never had an issue with eggplant...though I've not had it in a while.

So excited for your new budding romance and your trip to Europe!

I can't believe I never read your posts before!  They're super inspiring.  I'd love to walk in Spain as well, but haven't really thought about it terms of "it could happen".  I found Whole30 and the template pretty liberating as well, but I still manage to give in to the wants and my old patterns.  It's a process.  Hope your trip is wonderful.

I get. It, was in OA for many years. My sponsor used to tell me that my wanter was broken. I still don't really trust that voice that yaks in my head that flour products are essential.

Yesterday while on the road with a work partner, she got a bagel for breakfast in th car. I said heck, me too. I have looked 12 months pregnant for over 24 hours. My energy drained. It was a great experience to have prior to leaving for Europe. Maybe their flour won't give me the same reactions but I have to be willing to take the time to determine if I'm willing to feel like crap.

Calee so good to hear from you! Glad things are going well! Nightshades tend to set my tummy ablaze too in differing amounts (bell peppers being the worst) though I've never had an issue with eggplant...though I've not had it in a while.

So excited for your new budding romance and your trip to Europe!

Thank you thank you thank you! I have been following your journey via email updates. Yeah, nightshades kinda suck, but I love them.

I get. It, was in OA for many years. My sponsor used to tell me that my wanter was broken. I still don't really trust that voice that yaks in my head that flour products are essential.

Yesterday while on the road with a work partner, she got a bagel for breakfast in th car. I said heck, me too. I have looked 12 months pregnant for over 24 hours. My energy drained. It was a great experience to have prior to leaving for Europe. Maybe their flour won't give me the same reactions but I have to be willing to take the time to determine if I'm willing to feel like crap.

I laughed as I read about the European flour - sure would be nice if it didn't cause a reaction!   It's good to read about your bagel reaction because I am feeling like a grumpy bloated greasy slug/whale today and my old thinking is ignoring that it could possibly have anything to do with the off road foods I've eaten!!!  Oh - to be back at the point where I can see what one wrong item does in my system instead of flooded by loads of junk.

We just had a friend from Europe visit us and her eating habits were so much milder than ours - moderately small breakfasts where bread and butter seemed healthy and not a trigger to the gluttony I usually experience.  It will be interesting to see what you experience and notice on your journey.

Countdown to Vacation is finally over! Flight is in 13 hours. First I get to go to work and try to complete a huge project.

My lesson from the bagel last Friday has stuck with me as well the two pounds. Yuck. Good news is that for a month I have been planning to finally buy a roll from the artisan bakery to eat with GF cheddar on my flight. It's 10 hours to Heathrow, wait 2, fly 2 more to Berlin. The fierce bloating and complete lack of energy for 24 hours is fresh in my mind. My dinner is packed, baby romaine, cherry tomatoes, GF cheddar from New Zealand. Single serving bag of TJ cashews and almonds. Green grapes, splurged on Hood River cherries at WF last night. $5.99 a pound is so much cheaper than the price for energy drain foods. I figure fruit breakfast while at Heathrow. Airplane foods frightens me because of the sodium content and bad quality.

I will chek in here along the way for some level of accountability. Im anticipating a fabulous trip. Thankfully Z would always prefer a big organic salad to anything else. Maybe cause his first meals were crawling through our huge organic garden. We have a big flat in Berlin for the first three days. I see that there is an organic grocery close by. I'm already planning a to go meal for the train to Warsaw meal on Friday evening. I have to visualize myself making excellent choices.

Budding romance is definitely blooming a bit. Hopefully absence makes the heart grow much fonder.

Find joy! :)

Dear Calee, seems like we were talking about an upcoming trip such a long time ago. BAM here it is! Calee is on the road! Have fantastic time and enjoy every second! 

Haha!  I feel like I need training wheels on the road.

I did well on plane eating.  Heathrow layover I ate gf cheddar cheese and Oregon cherries that I had packed.  Z ate the bag lunch they gave me on 2nd flight.

Last night ate a bit of very thin. Crust pizza.  No bloating. Caprese salad was fun. They brought bowl with a big tomato, big hunk of fresh cheese,  basil, and we prepared it ourselves.

Off on a canal boat trip after we stop for brunch.

We are staying at a loft Z rented for two nights.  Incredible neighborhood with art everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm home from Europe. This morning a friend that was coming or a walk, brought me a slice of fritatta that she made. I ate it without thinking. Just a small slice, less than 4 ounces. Now 5 hours later I look seriously pregnant. My stomach is hard and distended. I realized while rubbing my tummy that this was the first who egg I've eaten since starting W75 on May 1st. I did great with yolk reintro. Whites, not so much!

Hi everyone! Missed you all.

Archived