AIP? *gulp*

TrayS

Ok so I'm on Day 29 and while I am feeling some great things (energy, good sleep, weight coming off), my scalp psoriasis and itchy face just aren't going away this time around. I'm thinking that after I take a couple weeks off (still eating mostly compliant but perhaps a sushi dinner and a glass of wine or two).. that I need to give AIP a go.

I'm curious as to people's experiences with AIP, particularly for those who did the regular W30 before switching to AIP. What did you learn from the switch? Did it help? Observations?

Thanks!

I am currently in the process of transitioning from w30 (started 1/1/13) to AIP. I spent the day shopping and preparing, and my Day 1 breakfast (doubling as tonight's dinner) is in the oven. The only thing I'm not doing is quitting coffee cold turkey. I am completely addicted and know from experience that, if I just quit, I will be saddled with migraines and will struggle with basic math and speech skills for a week or two. But, I am wiling to wean myself down over the course of the month to, say, one cup in the morning.

I'll miss eggs because I have chickens, and those girls are just so good to me. I don't think eggs are a problem for me but anything's possible. I'll plan to reintroduce them first.

@Snicci, I hear you. In some ways, I am more anxious about embarking on the AIP for 30 days than I was about starting the regular Whole30. But I have felt so much better, I am up for this new challenge if it means further improving my various persisting symptoms.

@TrayS, I'm in San Diego, too :).

I am on day 22 on a combination of the AIP and IBS protocol. I have worked hard at varying food/meals. The only meal that is a little boring to me is breakfast. I think having leftovers for breakfast is a great idea. I've been trying to make my own breakfast sausages, which is pretty good! One suggestion is that if you don't already have it, Practical Paleo is a great book to get for recipes and ideas.

I just wanted to pop in and say that, while I'm not going to discourage you from trying the AIP, it's important to remember that Whole30 -in any of its variations - is not a cure all. Sometimes, we can't just tweak our way to the end of our troubles :)

I totally get this, just figure it is worth a try. My first time around I saw much better results, I wish I had kept my food log to see if I wasn't eating something then that I ate more of this time, or vice versa. But a couple weeks ago I had a very, very itchy day (I think it was around Day 27-28) and that was after eating practically everything on the W30-but-not-AIP list in the previous 1-2 days. Since I'm getting enough sleep and managing stress the best I can, and no shampoo on the market or even the stuff my dermatologist prescribed does anything to fix the problem, I really don't have any other ideas.

The AIP is in the book for a reason, right? Given my medical history I probably should've tried it in the first place.

You may have already tried this, so forgive me if it is repetitive information. Have you ever put tea tree oil directly into your shampoo and conditioner? Not the kind that says "tea tree oil shampoo". Putting the essential oil in the palm of your hand with the shampoo added.

This winter I did it this way and it made a huge huge huge difference. Previously I have tried putting tea tree oil directly on my scalp, but it is too time consuming and I wasn't consistent. Putting it directly into my products has been much easier.

I did my first whole30 trying to stick to the AI & IBS protocol, but sort of slacked off on all the IBS parts (no fruit skin, always cook every vegetable) and also had some of the nuts I would buy for my boyfriend since he won't eat avocado. I really feel like eating the nuts caused me to have less than stellar results and I'm about to start again, being even more strict.

At first I was really worried about no eggs or nightshades (I LOVE peppers and tomatoes, and eggs are so easy to cook and convenient) but it wasn't as hard as I thought! There is a huge variety out there. I used a lot of ground meat, sort of as an egg substitute. But nuts and seeds is hard, and I recommend researching which spices come from seeds because there are lots and I used a lot of them for a while before realizing they were from seeds (like mustard, which seems like a "duh" thing now but for some reason I didn't think of it).

This post kinda seems like crazy rambling now that I reread it, but just wanted to share my experiences and some thoughts.

Thanks for the heads up on seeds. I am waiting for my copy of the book to get the full low down on the AIP protocol. For the time being, I have given up eggs, nightshades, nuts and seeds. I would never have thought about mustard and spices as seeds, so thanks for the heads up. I am not dealing with IBS but a host of other things. Are avocados and coconut considered nuts too? Coconut will be a tough one.

I put about 5 drop in my shampoo and then another 5 drops in my conditioner. I think you can add drops to your hairbrush as well. Theoretically it seems like the tea tree would wash out, but it made a big difference for me.

If it isn't working after a few weeks, then it may not be an applicable remedy.

I kept saying the same thing regarding Pepsi (migraines, etc.) if I went cold turkey on my 3 can a day habit but decided to go ahead and do it. To my surprise, the headaches went away and I felt great. It can be done, just hang in there.

I've been searching the forum for HOURS, and I think this is the best place for my questions. I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 (actually 90-100) with the AI and IBS protocol. I'm coming up with some ideas for breakfast, so I think I can live without eggs as a meal, but what about as an ingredient? I want to try salmon patties, mayo and dressings, but they all call for egg as an ingredient.I know an egg replacer can be made with ground flax seed, but that's a seed, so I imagine it will be off-limits, too. Is there another suitable replacement for eggs, or is it OK to use them as an ingredient? And what about almond meal/flour? That is an ingredient in some recipes, but nuts are off-limits. What about citrus juice as an ingredient in dressings (I'm not a fan of vinegar) and to squeeze a bit on fish or on avacado to keep it from browining? I also take quite a few supplements. I think I can eliminate and/or find substitutes for the ones with soy, but there are a couple that contain rice. Is that a big issue? Will it interfere with results if I continue taking them? Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been searching the forum for HOURS, and I think this is the best place for my questions. I am getting ready to start my first Whole30 (actually 90-100) with the AI and IBS protocol. I'm coming up with some ideas for breakfast, so I think I can live without eggs as a meal, but what about as an ingredient? I want to try salmon patties, mayo and dressings, but they all call for egg as an ingredient.I know an egg replacer can be made with ground flax seed, but that's a seed, so I imagine it will be off-limits, too. Is there another suitable replacement for eggs, or is it OK to use them as an ingredient? And what about almond meal/flour? That is an ingredient in some recipes, but nuts are off-limits. What about citrus juice as an ingredient in dressings (I'm not a fan of vinegar) and to squeeze a bit on fish or on avacado to keep it from browining? I also take quite a few supplements. I think I can eliminate and/or find substitutes for the ones with soy, but there are a couple that contain rice. Is that a big issue? Will it interfere with results if I continue taking them? Thanks for your input!

I am also wondering about eggs as an ingredient. Specifically homemade mayo...is it out on IBS protocol? I know almond flour is out and soy and rice in supplements are not good either. Personally, I will still use citrus as its usually just a squeeze. Hopefully a MOD can answer about the eggs :)

I am thinking about doing the AIP as well, given my medical conditions, and so I just read this thread.

As for giving up mayo, have any of you considered using chimichurri as a substitute? It's SO delicious and goes well on almost any meat, plus it has olive oil for the all-important good fat component. Here's a recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/chimichurri-21151/review

• 2 months later...

I have also been researching on this forum for some time and this is what I was looking for! I am on day 18 of W30 with strict AIP for my Ankylosing Spondylitis (an arthritis-like inflammatory condition). I have never done a standard W30 I just jumped right in to AIP.

I am struggling. I am struggling to get enough protein and calories (as odd as that sounds due to all the meat I can eat). I just CAN NOT look at or contemplate eating a piece of meat in the morning. Even "breakfast" meats. I made my own breakfast sausage (with no seed or nightshade based spices ) and there are some days that I can eat that but most days the thought of meat before about noon makes me gag. I even bought sugar free, nitrate free bacon from US Wellness meats and that is hit or miss as well.

I also have appetite problems due to one of the medications I am on for my AS: methotrexate. There are days where it is a battle to eat. I used to combat that by smothering things in cheese or sugar :) I am losing a lot of weight and did not need to lose weight when I started this. I know that losing too much weight is not good for your immune system. Not having ANY protein sources other than meat is just killing me. My energy levels have bottomed out and I know it's because I just am not eating enough. I would quit the methotrexate but my rheumatologist is not on board with that and I don't want to go all rogue with my meds.

Sorry this is long I just feel that I am between a rock and a hard place. I will reintroduce eggs first and cross my fingers. I'm determined to make it the whole 30 days!

Not to be a downer but that is my current AIP experience. If it works though it will be worth it!

Oh this sounds horrible.

Can you stomach fish? As horrible as it sounds there are a lot of very tasty options. I like to bake a batch of white fish/basil sliders and fry them in fat of a choice in the morning. If you have access to a good salmon you can salt a piece, sort of lox. Cucumber and capers tasty bonus. Smoked mackral with pumpkin and spaghetti squash. Sound weird, I know, but very tasty. Salmon cakes (no eggs is fine here, other binders work too!). Tuna salad etc.

What your typical day of eating would be?

Salmon on cucumber rounds is delicious for breakfast. Maybe a salad would make it easier to stomach? Put some fish or something on it, olive oil and vinegar dressing, and maybe some grapefruit or orange segments is delicious. Tweak as desired or needed.

I do Ok with fish and I could try salting it for the AM -- that's a great idea! I have some wild caught frozen salmon filets so I will definitely try that. I'm very curious to hear what other binders you use for salmon cakes? I love them but thought they were out due to no eggs.

Thank you!

Ive been on the AIP to deal with my psoriasis for almost a year now. Personally, I have no problem eating meat at any hour of the day, so I cant really relate to your issue, but I do sympathize, as I know how discouraging the AIP can be.

This suggestion may not be Whole 30 compliant, but it could be an option for getting your protein in without having to choke down more meat...A company called the Protein Factory sells a beef protein islolate protein powder. Im not doing Whole 30, so I make a shake post workout. It tastes pretty horrible by itself, but Im sure if you blended it with some coconut milk, fruit and maybe some spinach, you could make a really delicious, nutrient dense, protein filled shake.

Another option is to utilize gelatin! Great Lakes brand is grassfed and it is tasteless. You can add a tablespoon to tea, coffee, or soup and it just dissolves. I also make jell-o with it. Brew some tea, then add the gelatin and let it set for a few hours. It delicious, especially with summer coming!

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Archived