Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

Calee, my mom is Polish too. Polish was her first language. I've also been to Krakow and loved it. It was right before Christmas and there was a big Christmas market around the old church, with Polish carols blasting from speakers and big barrels of pickles and sauerkraut, with yummy kielbasa from street vendors. Seeing that church was very cool; as a child I had a book of Polish folklore and learned the story of the Trumpeter of Krakow, and the church tower was where he played.

My mom will be 70 next year and she's hoping my sister, aunt and I will go to Poland with her. I'd love to go in warmer weather.

Nadia maybe you are craving fat because you haven't been eating much in the last couple days with your soup diet? I know you've eaten other stuff, but it's probably not as much as you usually eat. Maybe your hunger is just catching up with you.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ÑпаÑибо! I know there would be nothing romantic about that journey, but it's such a feat of human labour and it connects two areas of the world I very much want to visit. Also sitting and thinking is one of the things I do best - train and plane rides are just made for me :)

Your kombucha makes me so impatient! Maybe plum and cherry? Plum and berry? Pear and ginger sounds delicious.

Pear and vanilla. Definitely!

I am excited to get on the booch train this weekend. Headed to Target tomorrow to find an appropriate vessel!

I still say you can blame the hormones. I love that you are listening to your body and feeding it what it needs!

Pear and vanilla. Definitely!

I am excited to get on the booch train this weekend. Headed to Target tomorrow to find an appropriate vessel!

I still say you can blame the hormones. I love that you are listening to your body and feeding it what it needs!

Yessss. Buy a nice house for new inhabitant. KB, I can't controll this hunger and feeling miserable. No one needs 3 avocados in one sitting. No one. It will pass, breathe, yeayea.

Ok, booch enthusiasts, drool time! http://nouveauraw.com/raw-techniques/flavor-prfiles-that-pair-well-in-recipes/

Btw, I screwed up my rest plan. I went to rehearsal with intention to mark steps. I was the one kicking legs up in the air in the first line. Uhuhuh. I am going to the rehearsal tomorrow too. And to the gym. And to my parents. And running around the city because it's a door open day. We are going to the library of rare books which is closed to public. Orgasm.

Yessss. Buy a nice house for new inhabitant. KB, I can't controll this hunger and feeling miserable. No one needs 3 avocados in one sitting. No one. It will pass, breathe, yeayea.

Ok, booch enthusiasts, drool time! http://nouveauraw.com/raw-techniques/flavor-prfiles-that-pair-well-in-recipes/

Btw, I screwed up my rest plan. I went to rehearsal with intention to mark steps. I was the one kicking legs up in the air in the first kine. Uhuhuh. I am going to rehearsal tomorrow too. And to the gym. And to my parents. And running around the city because it's a door open day. We are going to the library of rare books which is closed to public. Orgasm.

Love this. I was thinking I wanted to incorporate black pepper and kaffir leaves. Making Melissa's Tom Kha Gai that she posted on facebook so I have kaffir, lemongrass and ginger.

Love this. I was thinking I wanted to incorporate black pepper and kaffir leaves. Making Melissa's Tom Kha Gai that she posted on facebook so I have kaffir, lemongrass and ginger.

Ooh! I will have to log into FB (ugh) to see recipe. :wub: Tom khai gai.

Nadia, you make me worry sometimes! Be nice to yourself. It's ok to not take multiple exercise classes a day, ripping out your stitches in the process. You won't get fat. :)

Ooh! I will have to log into FB (ugh) to see recipe. Tom khai gai.

Nadia, you make me worry sometimes! Be nice to yourself. It's ok to not take multiple exercise classes a day, ripping out your stitches in the process. You won't get fat.

Beets, I will pm you the recipe tomorrow morning. It really sounds like a good one.

Oh wow, you guys are blowing my mind :) You are making me homesick too! I hope I get to go back for a visit soon, but I have a never ending detective story with immigration office about my stolen documents. Half legal liver junkie. Kidding. I am legal.

Calee, I am so glad you liked it. Mini-feast was caviar of course? ;) Poland is great, I love Krakow and Wroclaw a lot. Early fall is amazing there.

I loved it Nadia! And yes of course caviar. I watched the ballet video you posted. I was mesmerized by the beauty and the message. I will go back and watch over and over. I see why you want/need to dance.

I have never been to Poland. I want to go to Lodz where my mom was born. Also to Krakow, then on to Budapest, Prague and possibly a day or two in Berlin. My son will have a n apartment there for the summer. I'm glad to hear that early fall is good because I am thinking September!

Calee, my mom is Polish too. Polish was her first language. I've also been to Krakow and loved it. It was right before Christmas and there was a big Christmas market around the old church, with Polish carols blasting from speakers and big barrels of pickles and sauerkraut, with yummy kielbasa from street vendors. Seeing that church was very cool; as a child I had a book of Polish folklore and learned the story of the Trumpeter of Krakow, and the church tower was where he played.

My mom will be 70 next year and she's hoping my sister, aunt and I will go to Poland with her. I'd love to go in warmer weather.

Beets, you make Poland sound wonderful. Fresh sauerkraut, oh my! My parents used to sing to me in Polish. I am first born American. My father and brother are from Buenos Aires. Nobody spoke English when I was born. Go with your mother. My son is your age and will go with me. He too lives in NYC but we travel the world together every year. It's my favorite two weeks of the year.

ÑпаÑибо! I know there would be nothing romantic about that journey, but it's such a feat of human labour and it connects two areas of the world I very much want to visit. Also sitting and thinking is one of the things I do best - train and plane rides are just made for me :)

Your kombucha makes me so impatient! Maybe plum and cherry? Plum and berry? Pear and ginger sounds delicious.

Pear, lemon, ginger is my vote. I actually have that flavor in the fridge. I will try it tomorrow.

I had raspberry, ginger, lemon this week that was unbelievable!

Beets, you make Poland sound wonderful. Fresh sauerkraut, oh my! My parents used to sing to me in Polish. I am first born American. My father and brother are from Buenos Aires. Nobody spoke English when I was born. Go with your mother. My son is your age and will go with me. He too lives in NYC but we travel the world together every year. It's my favorite two weeks of the year.

This sounds amazing! I would love to do this with my kids.

My mother wasn't the first generation, but my grandmother and her generation all spoke Polish. I'm not even sure where my grandmother was from. She would never talk about Poland. My grandfather was born in the US, but moved to Poland when his father died, and then back to the US when his mother remarried. Anyway, I love traveling but haven't done any at all since having kids.

Pear, ginger and lemon sounds WONDERFUL. I think the flavor combinations are the best reason to make your own.

I am back. I had a very busy weekend, running around like crazy. Pictures are at the bottom if you are not into reading (understandable :) ) Posting looooooooooooooong update and go catch up on logs. Or eat. Probably eat :D

Saturday I:

- Didn't get my period as I was supposed to after the end of the course. Getting comfortable with the idea of becoming a dude.

- Accidentally removed my stitches myself and nothing happened.

- Went to the gym and enjoyed burpee squats madness in my new super cute tennis skirt (is there a word for the shorts with skirt attached?). I had decent energy and used heavier weights. Good workout is on the list of basic needs.

- Walked lots visiting buildings that are usually closed for public. Open door weekend in Toronto! Went to the library of rare books. Got lost there. Some of the floors are just made to be a horror movie set up. Tons of creepy rooms. Loved every minute there. The smell! I wish I had a big library. Ok, any library.

- Bottled ton of kombucha. Made a new batch with green tea. I am so comfortable with the process now.

- Went to the rehearsal. Our flash mob is June 5th and everyone is very excited.

- Went to visit my parents. Haven't seen them in a while. Mom is being a pain as always, but I am being patient explaining to her why I am asking her to be on board, how her support is crucial and how I want them both to be healthy. I am seeing progress and can't be happier about it.

Dad proudly reported that he is drinking his tea plain. Can you imagine?! From 5 (!!!) tsp of sugar per cup to zero. I supply him with fancy flavored teas and finally it did the trick. Every time I bring new packs to him we have a little game. I open the bag and he smells the tea. Then he makes a funny face and goes "Wait, I know what's there!†Then he would put on his glasses on and read ingredients out loud with his incredible mix of strong Russian and French accents (he studied French and has never studied English), exclaiming "Of course! It's ginger!†Then he would go and place them neatly on his tea shelf, shaking his head and saying “How come you ALWAYS pick ones I like?†I've also brought him a bar of raw organic dark chocolate. He was over the moon. I think that it's the best option treat wise, am I right?

Daddy has also got a baby scoby from my booch plantation. I hope I didn't damage it while carrying it in my bag around the city for half day. Normal girls carry lipstick and powder in their bags. I have sardines, bacon and blobs of yeast. He sat down and diligently wrote down all the instructions. Susan, if his batch works as well as mine, you can't say anything about the pixies dust, okay? :D

Dad is trying to get out of his comfort zone with cooking. Funny thing is that he can execute exact recipe, but he has no clue about mixing spices, oils, vinegars ad so on. He is scared to add extra. Mom doesn't say anything because she is too tired to deal with it. Remember how he chopped ginger to the lettuce salad and called it a dressing? Or I've mentioned that he can use avocado as a dressing. You know what he did? You've probably guessed it – just chopped it to the same old lettuce :D He still fails with mayo. So does Mom. How is it even possible? Or last time I told him how I cook balsamic Brussels sprouts and he was making them exact same way for these months. He was eye balling and having panic attack when I took sprouts out of the oven he was pre baking and started to sprinkle them with lemon zest and thyme. Like it's a totally new story for him. He walks after me in the kitchen and writes stuff down. His cutting skills need improvement too, those onions on the fish look so funny, I don't know why. Naïve art in the kitchen. I've enjoyed the dinner he made anyways – baked mackerel, roasted Brussel Sprouts and my favorite food with no breaks carrots jam. Apparently there were some spices and by the end of the night my face was itchy and broke out. Now this is simply retarded, the more I eliminate the more sensitive I get. Insult to the injury I ate several tsp of almond butter with Dad. He has never tried it and he is such a baby, so I had to do it with him. It was ok by the morning.

Now the concerning stuff.

- They are still under eating. Dad has not gained a half lb since surgery. He needs to eat three times more based on his current intake. So does Mom. They FORGET to add fat, they are fine with their broccoli and a piece of meat. I really don't know how to drill to their heads that they need to eat more. And then they complain that they really miss dessert to go with tea or eat half jar of honey (Mom).

- Mom does her research on the internet. We all know how much crap is published there. So sad that the magic words “the study has proven that†is enough for her. I feel so helpless talking with her. The only good point – she started asking my opinion before doing something stupid like bringing a bottle of stevia. Several “gems†so you get the idea.

Gem#1.

- I've read that I should give him peanut butter.

- Ehhmm and what benefits this product is supposed to add?

- I am not sure, but they write that it's a good option for recovery. And you've said nuts are ok.

- Peanuts are not nuts. I've told you many times. We threw out the jar together, remember? Now think for a moment what is the main macro in it?

- Mhmm fat?

- See the logic?

- No.

- What this article is trying to say – up your intake of food and fat specifically.

Gem#2.

- My co-worker makes kefir!

- The only type of dairy that is ok to consume is illegal in Canada.

- You are right, but he says he found a type of milk that works great.

- It's not about type of milk. Pasteurization negates everything. Anyways, why do you need it you think? Dad doesn't drink coffee or milk in general. Kombucha and sauerkraut will do in terms of fermented foods.

- But milk is good for you, that's what we were told all our life. Now it's bad suddenly.

- It's not the milk itself. It's the way cows eat and the way their milk is being processed.

- Well, I don't know. He says he feels great.

I asked her “why are you trying to find a way to cheat or want to spend so much energy to create something that will not help health or mental wise?†She was silent for good 3 minutes and said: “I don't know. I guess I just don't get this diet. I am not as inspired as youâ€. My heart was bleeding. How are a cologne cancer, Granddad's diabetes, Gram's gut issues and my struggles are not enough of evidence that our diet was not right? Onward. We'll be fine. I'll help them.

- Last one that made me cry for the second time, but they didn't see it. It's alcohol. They don't drink much, but Mom likes half glass now and then at the dinner. I know that it's her stress relief go to. Dad would keep a company. I hate it. However I thought it's not a concern since all this thing with Dad has started. I thought that it's so obvious they can't have any. I've said it several times too. I was wrong. While I was arranging he plates for dinner, Dad has asked: “Something to drink?†nodding at the bar. I was like, yeah, very funny, Dad. He goes: “Mm, why? We had a drink with your Mom last night. Don't worry, I only had a splash of whiskeyâ€. I look at her and she hides her eyes. How twisted is that to police my 50 years old Mom? I went to the bathroom and I was shaking with rage. I am shaking when I type this. We'll be fine, what else to say. I have to be patient and persistent if I want to make it work. I do.

His treatment starts Tuesday. I will spend the whole day with him. I have agreed with Mom that I will be coming one day a week and do the shopping cooking myself to let her rest and to make sure that they are having proper nutrition. I don't believe that she can carry this part (Dad was always shopping and preparing meals). She needs to rest.

Dad drove me home. We sat and talked for an hour in the car. I haven't talked (like daughter-Dad talked) to him in 10 years. I told him that it's ok to be scared. He cried. I haven't seen him crying in 15 years. Why the price for a normal relations with him has to be so brutal?

On Sunday I:

- Didn't get my period.

- Went to ballet class on Sunday. Half more year and I will have an iron butt.

- Made a plan on how to increase the density of food without increasing the volume on the plate for parents or adding lots of sugar (honey/fruits). My plan is to introduce all new starchy veggies. In order to do so I have to test them all myself. I have all the types of sweet potatoes (I usually stick with yams), cassavas, eddos, etc. I made yuca for the first time ever. I am sure Dad will love it, it's so good! My plan is to teach him how to make great dressings and mayo. My plan is to create a daily checklist for him that he will have to fill out (cup of broth, glass of booch, enzymes, magnesium etc). Maybe this will work. Any other advise how to up their intake? Anyone?

- Watched TV for the first time in a year. We had an Arrested Development marathon at the friend's house. Everyone was shoving chips into their mouths. I ate strawberries and was just fine.

- Ate lots of fruits. I am eating a lot of fruits lately. Not too much stress, it's summer after all, but something to watch more closely. I'll see how my body reacts to this sudden carb load.

- Bottled helluva ton of kombucha and ran out of bottles. Flavors of the week:

Peach/strawberry/ginger

Strawberry/Kiwi

Pear/Vanilla

Pear/Ginger

Cherry/Vanilla

Cherry/Basil

Carrot cake

Carrot/Ginger

Carrot/Apple/Cinnamon

Cranberry/Mango

Cranberry/Pineapple/Orange

Honeydew/Cardamon

Honeydew/Orange/Mint

Honeydew/Cantaloupe/Ginger/Lemongrass

Cantaloupe/Lavender

Cantaloupe/Basil

- Noticed that I forget to take enzymes all the time but my digestion has never been better. #4 (or what's the ideal one?) all the time!

- Noticed that I don't need make up most of the mornings. Only a tiny bit of concealer for under eyes areas. The dark circles are fading away.

- My skin is crazy dry because of estrogen puzzle.

- My crazy avocado and other food cravings are related to hormones for sure. I've read an article about food that can help increase estrogen and it listed all the stuff I was uncontrollably consuming.

- My KP is fading away too. I almost don't feel it. Don't jinx it, don't jinx it.

Wowza, that was a long one. Now pictures.

null_zpsb52e3ded.jpgnull_zps015b01d8.jpg

null_zps2bfe1108.jpgnull_zpsfabeb3bb.jpg

null_zps048bd489.jpgnull_zpsb0127d2a.jpg

Nadia, you make me worry sometimes! Be nice to yourself. It's ok to not take multiple exercise classes a day, ripping out your stitches in the process. You won't get fat. :)

I make myself worried sometimes. It's a little bit more complicated than a weight gain concern. This one is a redundant feeling from the past which sometimes creeps out. It's an overlapping problem of gogogo mind and the way my neuro system responses to it. I love dancing and can't fix it as a physical activity in my head. I realize it's like "Cocaine is bad for you" "But I like it!" kind of situation. I have to work on balance. It's hard. Thanks for worrying :rolleyes:

I loved it Nadia! And yes of course caviar. I watched the ballet video you posted. I was mesmerized by the beauty and the message. I will go back and watch over and over. I see why you want/need to dance.

I have never been to Poland. I want to go to Lodz where my mom was born. Also to Krakow, then on to Budapest, Prague and possibly a day or two in Berlin. My son will have a n apartment there for the summer. I'm glad to hear that early fall is good because I am thinking September!

Yes, September is a great choice! Prague in August and Prague in September are two different stories. It will be still green and sunny, not too many crazy stag parties on the streets and less than a millions of tourists. You will always get the seat by the river in the restaurants and watch the most amazing sunsets from the Castle hill. I lived in Czech Republic for half year (internship), so I can tell ;) Btw, Melissa from theclothesmakethegirl has traveled there recently. She has nice tips and addresses on her blog.

Berlin is very vibrant. If you take a train from Prague (4 hours if I remember correct) i would definitely encourage you to stop in Dresden (it's half way to Berlin and you can get off and on the train with the same ticket if used the same day). It's small but wonderful. You have to see Zwinger. How can you miss Raphael's Sistine Madonna ;)

Now the teasers!

x_239a976d_zps1960451a.jpgx_3b0027ef_zps9a3784a3.jpg

tHmHQBPYAmM_zps0ec8421e.jpgHfyuHH5Ph1I_zps68a37f2b.jpg

Nadia! What an epic post! my mind is a jumble of thoughts but some streams of consiousness for you: Sorry you are going through this with your dad, I know I said it will make you closer (and it will) but I can hear the pain in your text and I hate that you have to feel that. Hang in there with them. i love libraries too and that smell (!) I know exactly, it reminds me of when I was young and my mother would take me to the big university library with her so she could study and I would wander and wander around in the stacks for hours. good memories. And finally: what a beautiful girl you are (inside too)! I love that photo in the ballet studio and you don't look too skinny to me at all, pretty much perfect, actually, if it's not too weird to say that to my platonic internet friend. Digestion is better, eh? Maybe all the kombucha and starches are helping you? I'm glad.

Wow. I hear your frustration with your parents.

But they are trying! My father takes 20 pills a day, has diabetes type II, had stents put in his heart. He still smokes and will go all day without eating anything except a corn muffin. He still thinks fat is bad. My mother is very overweight, pre-diabetes, high BP, all kinds of obesity-related knee and back issues. She eats bakery food all day. It's tragic. And there is nothing I can do to change their minds.

Nadia! What an epic post! my mind is a jumble of thoughts but some streams of consiousness for you: Sorry you are going through this with your dad, I know I said it will make you closer (and it will) but I can hear the pain in your text and I hate that you have to feel that. Hang in there with them. i love libraries too and that smell (!) I know exactly, it reminds me of when I was young and my mother would take me to the big university library with her so she could study and I would wander and wander around in the stacks for hours. good memories. And finally: what a beautiful girl you are (inside too)! I love that photo in the ballet studio and you don't look too skinny to me at all, pretty much perfect, actually, if it's not too weird to say that to my platonic internet friend. Digestion is better, eh? Maybe all the kombucha and starches are helping you? I'm glad.

Thank you, Mary ^_^ ^_^ ^_^ Right! My friend had to pull my hand to get me out of the maps department. Giant atlases from 18th century. AAA. Parents situation. Sight. Thanks for support. I feel better after I spill all my rage here. It all makes me very emotional, but I need to be level headed with them.

What the hell these hormones want more :huh:

Nadia, I love the pictures of you and your food. Is that your papa? How handsome. No wonder you are so adorable. Thank you for the teaser pics! I've heard that Dresden is wonderful. If my son has an apartment in Berlin, we will spend a few days there.

About your parents, I sense how tough this is for you. You want to do everything you can to help their health. It sounds like perhaps papa has a bit less resistance than your mama. Maybe stick with fortifying him and mama will along.

We are on opposite sides of this. I continually talk to my son about Paleo. Last time I was in NYC we cooked and ate out Paleo. Last he was here he said that he was eating a lot of the Paleo plan. He eats very healthy but does indulge in some grains. Traveling with him this fall I hope we can stick close to plan.

I just read your mammoth post through properly Nadia and you just blow me away with how much you take on with your parents. The way you are so actively trying to help and educate them, even though you get so much resistance. They are so so lucky to have you. I think your Dad really is onboard with the changes. It is a crime that conventional wisdom means that for every fact you give someone, they can go and find a contradictory "fact" on the internet. No wonder your Mum puts up such a fight!

My heart nearly broke reading about your talk in the car. I think comforting/looking after your parents is a rite of passage, and the time we really realise that we are adults too.

Was thinking about the calorie thing ... Do your parents eat soup at all? If they do, maybe that could be a way of sneaking fat (coconut milk or cream, ghee or duck fat to make it richer etc) and more bone broth into food, along with starchy carbs if you use sweet potato as a base? Obviously you wouldn't want it to take the place of a meal (which would be the danger with people who don't eat much, they'd be totally down with having just soup for dinner) but maybe a smallish serving as part of a meal.

I hope you come up with some more ideas.

That's such a gorgeous piccie of you in the studio. You're stunning :)

Nadia, I love the pictures of you and your food. Is that your papa? How handsome. No wonder you are so adorable. Thank you for the teaser pics! I've heard that Dresden is wonderful. If my son has an apartment in Berlin, we will spend a few days there.

We are on opposite sides of this. I continually talk to my son about Paleo. Last time I was in NYC we cooked and ate out Paleo. Last he was here he said that he was eating a lot of the Paleo plan. He eats very healthy but does indulge in some grains. Traveling with him this fall I hope we can stick close to plan.

Calee, that's wonderful. I am glad your son is opened to the whole paleo thing. Travelling together will be a very interesting experiment indeed. Finding balance between healthy choices and enjoying vacations and new food adventures.

Yes ahhhhhh your studio! And beautiful feet.

I didn't see if anyone answered about the skirt with shorts is called a skort.

Thanks, tutu fella. I had to google skort, because you know...I can't be sure of anything now after Kettle chips :)

I just read your mammoth post through properly Nadia and you just blow me away with how much you take on with your parents. The way you are so actively trying to help and educate them, even though you get so much resistance. They are so so lucky to have you. I think your Dad really is onboard with the changes. It is a crime that conventional wisdom means that for every fact you give someone, they can go and find a contradictory "fact" on the internet. No wonder your Mum puts up such a fight!

My heart nearly broke reading about your talk in the car. I think comforting/looking after your parents is a rite of passage, and the time we really realise that we are adults too.

Was thinking about the calorie thing ... Do your parents eat soup at all? If they do, maybe that could be a way of sneaking fat (coconut milk or cream, ghee or duck fat to make it richer etc) and more bone broth into food, along with starchy carbs if you use sweet potato as a base? Obviously you wouldn't want it to take the place of a meal (which would be the danger with people who don't eat much, they'd be totally down with having just soup for dinner) but maybe a smallish serving as part of a meal.

I hope you come up with some more ideas.

That's such a gorgeous piccie of you in the studio. You're stunning :)

Oh, thank you for support, sympathy and compliments, kind girl. I am glad I took chances and made them eat paleo/whole30ish. You are right, it's the feeling of being responsible for their health that is a bit scary. Growing up moment and realization that their argument "I know better because I am a parent" is not that valid anymore :D

Dad loves soups, but you got it right, he will eat a bowl and be stuffed. I will try to make the fat-fest soups like avocado soups or the ones coconut cream based. For now my mission is to make him eat. Anything.

Nadia - I just saw this recipe and thought of you my offal loving friend!

http://angsarap.net/.../05/23/bopis-2/

There mau be some challenging ingredients! I also can't remember if you eat tomatoes or not?

Anyways, just had to share!

Oh my, 1 cup of fat? Whoa. I've never had lungs. Moreover I've never seen them in any meat shop here. I am VERY intrigued. But yeah, this dish is out. No nightshades or spices from them (paprika or chilie). I will tweak it a bit once I find lungs :) Thank youuu.

Archived