LadyM's seduction continues (sur son propre velo)

LadyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Beets, you will feel so good after getting rid of the stuff that no longer serves you. The last big cleanout I did was two summers ago and I think it's time again. Feeling very weighed down by clutter at the moment--especially clothes. It really is such a loving act to only keep things in our closets and drawers that we love and feel wonderful wearing. The too big and too small stuff only serves as a reminder of what we are not. Who needs that?

• Moderators

OK, so the procrastination challenge. I'm going to follow zenhabits guy's lead. Here's how (I've cut and pasted from his post with small edits to reflect my own intentions, starting June 11, tomorrow):

What does it mean to have “No Procrastinaton�

It means I'm going to define things I can't procrastinate on, even for a minute, and set a time period I have to work without distraction. And after that work period, I get a break.

An example: Let's say the next thing on my list is to write a chapter of my book. I set a timer for 20 minutes, and I have to start right away, and work without cessation until the timer goes off. Only then can I check email or do any online reading, though I can work longer if I'm in a groove.

After the break, I might set another period for myself.

Here are my rules:

1. List my Most Important Tasks. I have to list 3 specific things that are important for me to accomplish each day. Meditating, moving, writing, and reading are automatically on the list, and each day I will get more specific about three things I will do. Might be laundry or cleaning out a particular closet or area of the house. Some days Meditating, Moving, Writing, and Reading will be the only things on my list.
  2. Do the first things early. As soon as I start my day, I will meditate without procrastination. Then eat. Then write. Then do the first Most Important Task on my list for 20 minutes. Those I'll do without fail.
  3. Get the other things done as early as possible. I'm not allowed to read online, check email, check social media, or do other trivial things until I have them done (except for breaks).
  4. A 10-minute break is allowed after my 20-minute unprocrastination session ends (though again I can extend the 20 minutes as long as I want). I can check email etc. for 10 minutes, then go into my next 20-minute unprocratination session.
  5. No kombucha at night if I mess up. I'm not perfect, so there might be times I'll mess up. When I do, I'll take a small penalty — no booch.

The main challenge will be to be mindful of my urges to go to distraction, to run from discomfort, when I'm supposed to be doing something. I think we all do this, and rationalize it. I'm going to try not to let my mind run or rationalize.

• Moderators

Good morning so far. Got to sleep later than I planned because of a fun dinner outing (stayed compliant, ate flank steak, salad, and mashed broccoli--none of which was as good as what I eat at home) and didn't set my alarm. Woke up just in time to get to yoga anyway and am so glad that I did. Yoga teacher helped me with my sciatica--did some manual work and suggested a few cross body stretches that felt really good. Progress!

And I'm finally getting to wear some of my cute new yoga clothes. Yay for that.

Made a fresh batch of crotchpot bone broth from Sunday's leftover chicken wing bones and tips (holy cats were those chicken wings good. And easy peasy. Why hadn't I ever made them before?) and sipping it this morning is making me feel very happy and loved. Sometimes happiness and love comes easy. I'll take it.

Making my way through the house cleaning bit by bit. Tackling laundry today. Nothing like bleaching the hell out of sheets and towels to make me feel accomplished with very little effort. Instant gratification sometimes really hits the spot.

So much to read through!

Though it was sad, your description of stopping at the tree after seeing your gma was beautiful!

I'm glad you seem to be healing.  It's slow, but at least it's progress.  Love yoga!

Great job reframing the date to one that was healthy for you!

I definitely go through phases where this is harder or easier.  Where the rebellious child inside just doesn't want to follow any "rules".  I think we just keep trying for that calm place.  Calm is my goal, at least.  I feel that if I can get the calm periods to last longer and the rebellious periods to be shorter and farther apart, I am making progress. 

I started a batch of chicken broth last night too. I woke up at about 1:30am and was certain one of my neighbors was making breakfast sausage. I was like who makes sausage at 1:30 in the morning? Went back to sleep and when I woke up was like "why does it still smell like breakfast sausage? Went back to sleep and the next time I woke up I remembered I was making broth. Duh! ;)

I'm going to sit down and formulate my guidelines for the no procrastination challenge (and my food guidelines for my next 30 days) tonight. Mine will be a little more flexible as my teaching schedule/gym schedule takes me out of the house in the am a lot but I will put up good guidelines. Look for it in my post log tonight or tomorrow morning. :D

• Moderators

Well, today is a bit wonky as a start date for my no procrastination challenge because grades are due at noon, but whatevs. I started with meditation, as promised, and then got to work immediately rather than dicking around on the forum like I usually do. So that's good. It's a start.

Part of what I want to use this challenge to do is create a lovely morning for myself every day, which is something I also borrow from the zen habits guy. So far it's been a lovely morning!

Meditation is so good. Not optional. Necessary.

Realized last night that I need to be off book by next week and I haven't really begun to learn my lines. Yikes! Let the performance anxiety nightmares begin. I'll get there, though. I always do. Just must get grades in first.

Need to buy groceries and keep moving forward with the housecleaning today. So good to have laundry done, folded, and put away. Something I'm adding to this no procrastination challenge is cleaning the kitchen before bedtime every day. Woke up to a sink full of dishes and that is really not conducive to a lovely morning.

Food is fine. Template eating is on point. Avoided drinking last night with folks and rested instead of adding a second yoga class. Really trying to learn moderation in movement so I can properly heal and stay healthy for the long run. Getting there!

• Moderators

Update: went for my first swim of the season and it felt so good! Like every cell of my body came to life. Reminded me that I'm best off doing things that make me feel more, not less, alive. On that list is w30 eating, writing, meditation, teaching, yoga, swimming, bike riding, dancing. It's the perfect simple guideline for life.

Also, for no apparent reason whatsoever, I feel slim today. I'll take it!

Yes! Made those wings for Super Bowl Sunday here. (Don't think we even watched any of the game.)

Need to read more about the challenge this afternoon. I have GOT to get these clothes out. It's giving me major agita and causing marital strife--not even joking.

So true about the sink! I read something about resetting the area to be used again. Helped me think about that and I'd gotten into the habit of doing t, which I've now fallen away from. Makes a huge difference in the am.

• Moderators

I cleaned the kitchen before bed last night and it definitely diminished stress this morning to find a peaceful space. Same with bedroom, though I could still use a little decluttering in there.

The 20-minute timer thing totally works! I used it yesterday to clean the kitchen in the afternoon. I didn't get the entire kitchen cleaned in that time, but I did get the dishes and sink area ready to go so that when I got home from rehearsal I could cook. I don't know why, but I actually enjoy cooking before bed. Maybe it satisfies my pleasure being around food without eating. Anyway, made a meat quiche and tried coconut mayo for the first time. Utter fail. But Beets's save worked. The coconut taste is an adjustment, so the jury's still out. I made it half and half with avocado oil and used it to make that homey broccoli salad with bacon, raisins, nuts and bacon. It's always nice to have a little prepared salad of one sort or another on hand.

Yoga this morning was good. My practice is still compromised by my sciatica, but hey, that's why we call it practice, right? Reminding myself that things are ever changing, that just because I'm not as flexible or strong as I felt I was six weeks ago doesn't mean I won't, in time and with practice, surpass that strength and flexibility one day.

Hoping the rain staves off so I can return to the pool. I probably swam for about 20 minutes yesterday. I would like to build that up over the summer, but I can take it slow. Taking it slow is what this summer is all about for me. Good stuff.

Plan today is to finish grading, do a couple 20-minute clean up sessions, see FMD, swim, read, and write. I may get called into the office this afternoon, so I can squeeze that in, too, if I must. ;)

Yay for swimming.  I'm thinking I need to get a pair of goggles for this summer, as I think getting water in my eyes (contacts) is one of the reasons I usually pass on getting in the pool.

Glad cleaning the kitchen at night is leading to a peaceful morning and I like your take on where you are with your yoga practice.

Quick question: When you make your meat quiche, are you using a pound of ground meat?  It seemed like a lot of meat to me.

• Moderators

Yep, one pound. After I season it (1 t fennel powder, 1 t sage, 1 t smoked salt, 1/2t each paprika and marjoram and pepper to taste is my fave these days), I pat it out in a glass pie plate, making extra high edges to account for oven shrinkage. Turns out just right. Each quiche is four servings for me, and that ends up being 1/4 lb (precooked) meat plus one egg for protein. That seems exactly right to me. And it always keeps me satisfied until lunch.

What makes it seem like a lot to you?

Yep, that's why they call it practice. :)  I have to remember that, too, when I can't do some poses on one side that are easy on the other.  It's annoying, but accepting it peacefully is what yoga is all about, right?

I think maybe I just didn't thin the meat crust up enough (up the sides).  I pretty much ended up with egg on top of a big burger!  I'll try to do a better job of thinning it out next time.  I cut mine into five pieces and I would definitely call it filling.  I'm really looking forward to trying it with spinach.

• Moderators

It's turned into a somewhat productive day strung together with naps. Naps are productive for adrenal recovery, right?

For dinner I ate homemade kale chips and baked chicken wings and washed them down with a flute of home brewed booch. it felt like (paloefied) junk food, and that made my inner rebel very happy. Crazy mind is now asking if this is ok, or is it not ok to use compliant food as a treat? I enjoyed it, it felt decadent, and I munched on it while watching tv, which is something I enjoy doing once in a while.

Honestly, this felt more like a treat than a true off-road. Just wondering what you all think about my dilemma--does it make sense? Or am I simply overthinking it?

For dinner I ate homemade kale chips and baked chicken wings and washed them down with a flute of home brewed booch. it felt like (paloefied) junk food, and that made my inner rebel very happy. Crazy mind is now asking if this is ok, or is it not ok to use compliant food as a treat? 

I think being able to take this kind of pleasure in compliant food is a very good thing. and yay for naps!

Archived