The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

I may have to break down and try making mayo again, that recipe makes it look very easy!!  I have been using Wilderness brand, but it's sometimes hard to find. 

Tulip-It really is like magic - there's all sorts of sciency stuff that you could read about, but basically, when your body is nourished correctly your hunger cues and appetite correct themselves, and you eat the right amount of calories for your energy requirements.  The trick (that I have yet to figure out) is to stay the course of nourishing your body correctly.  I'm not one that really enjoys cooking and planning meals is something I'm still working on.  I have been known to quickly cook up some raw spinach in olive oil in a frying pan, add a Steak'Um (hey, it's 100% beef!) and call it dinner.  I wouldn't do that during a Whole 30 nor most days when I'm eating well, but my point is, you will figure out some quick meals and tricks that work for you and your own personal style. 

Pumpkin eggs - This is something I came up with myself after beginning to eat in a Paleo/Primal way.  One of the websites had a recipe for Pumpkin souffle, but I didn't want to separate the eggs and whip the whites.  I eventually got to where I would sometimes leave out the dairy (whipping cream) and just mix up eggs, pumpkin, and spices, then bake it in the oven.  Last night, I was reading about SWYPO on this website, and I began to wonder if that's what this recipe would be considered...in spirit it's not, because I don't see this as replacing pancakes or a pastry or anything like that.  But, it is adding egg to an ingredient and baking it...I actually also make banana eggs, which I found the recipe for as a substitute for french toast:  banana fried in coconut oil, then egg, vanilla, and cinnamon scrambled into the banana.  It looks like scrambled eggs, but I'm not eating that on Whole 30 because it's sweet and I do feel like it's a Paleo-fied meal.  Anyone have an opinion about the pumpkin eggs?  Is this SWYPO?  

Still feeling good today - my dogs had me awake at 4:30 am (!) and I could not get back to sleep.  I wonder if I'll crash tonight....

I ate enough yesterday that I did not need the nighttime coconut milk/cherry smoothie,  This has seemed way too easy so far.  I expected to struggle the first few days, and then have it get easier.  I hope it's not going to be the other way around.   

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

•  
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

wondering about coconut water. on our 2nd whole30 and just realized perhaps it's not compliant (no additives, just clean coconut water). really only use post long workout to replenish electrolytes and as a teat drink for our kids. does seem high in sugar (10g). 
#2 icon_share.pngRenee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

•  
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1967 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's technically compliant, but it's not really an ideal choice, kinda like lara bars. I think I saw Dallas post something somewhere about his thoughts on coconut water, but can't remember where. Lemme do some googling and I'll come back and edit.  :)

Got it! 

http://whole9life.co...ishment-drinks/ and then check out Melissa's first comment:

I think on the coconut water was compliant but only recommended to drink it after a workout to replenish fluids and electrolytes... a hard work out, not a walk around the block ;-)

Instructions
  1. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan.
  2. Turn heat to medium high and bring vinegar to a boil.
  3. Once boiling, reduce to simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes until vinegar has reduced down. Stir occasionally. {be sure to keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly} You will know it is done if it coats the back of spoon.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Let reduction cool and serve or transfer to an air tight container and store in refrigerator. {if reduction hardens after being in refrigerator for too long just place container in a bowl filled with warm water to heat up the reduction}
  6. Can be served with a salad, grilled peaches, steaks, or whatever you want. You could just drink it if you like... its that good! :)

Balsamic-Reduction-4-610x406.jpg

Once boiling, reduce to simmer {low heat with small bubbles along the edges}and let simmer for about 10 minutes until vinegar has reduced down. Stir occasionally. You will know it has reduced if it coats the back of spoon. {be sure to keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly}

Meadow:  not napping!  Just super busy!  I have had time to catch bits of the forum on my phone throughout the day but haven't had time to post.  I'll do a bigger catch up on the weekend.  This is pretty close to how we do reductions, which we mostly do in the summer when there is so much seasonal berry action.  My partner is the saucier of the household and the reductions are different every time.  But this is the basic idea.  We also just put blueberries or blackberries in with it while it reduces.

Sooo good.

to tell you the truth I used the easy mayo recipe and it sounded so simple I don't know how I screwed it up;  also I did it in the vitamix;  did i mention i'm not good at following recipe instructions?  i'll try again;  the mayo and the cauli rice!  I'm on laundry duty today;  up to load # 7!  

the coleslaw sounds delicious!  

Tulip, the Vitamix is not good to do the mayo, because it is way too powerful blender, and you need a slow steady mixing power. I recommend an immersion blender or even a regular mixer. I tried a couple of times and nop, it did not work.

I did it on the lowest setting . . . .

but onto a more serous question:  how on earth is all this eating going to help me lose weight? of course i'm in it for better health and regulating my hormones and the long haul and ...... but all this eating and there's a lot of fat involved;  am I eating too much?  I'm not even hungry???? what kind of diet is this? am I going to get fit and skinny dare I say it or what?

and for those of you who have done this before, what happens after 30?  who can keep up with all this cooking and washing and prepping veggies???

i'm having a panic attack!

Tulip, your body will use that fat for energy purposes, trust it, and if your goal is to lose weight do not get crazy on fruits, nuts or potatoes/starches. I would it those at night mostly in limited quantities. 

Hurricane:  I hope your hot sauce arrives, and stat!

I am on day 11.  Sleep has been great for the last 2-3 nights, popping awake before my clock goes off at 5.  The last two days I have had a terrible taste in my mouth which I remember from other rounds - detoxy stuff that won't last, thank god, because I'm sure my breath is not so good.  My energy and mood are already improved.  I have just had around 6 weeks since my last Whole30 so it feels like my body is responding more quickly.  For all you first timers:  hang in there!  It WILL get so much better and you will feel, in the words of our long-lost comrade Deb, AMAZEBALLS.

Good morning Dirty 30r's Hope you are having a cozy warm Thursday, I am talking myself into feeling that way haha

*Sadie, White potatoes are in this time, but careful if you are intending to lose weight. Cali-Rice Rocks!

*Geminik, Stop the whining and let's commit together, we can do this and more.

*Laurie, you are right, the simpler the better. Glad you feel better by giving up fruits, I had reduce them to a minimum. Best wishes on your test results.

*Dave: immersion blender makes a difference in my mayo, and I am speaking with the authority that according to my husband, a person that has a lot of different blenders, hehehe. My chore laundry, lots of folding and hanging :-) that is the best I can do today.

* Tonya immersion blender and room temperature ingredients do the trick

*Nikki, eat ALL your meals, even if small ones, protein and fats, throw some veggies too

*Tulip, I hope you tossed that bad mayo and try it again

*Hi GrannieD, our names rhyme :-) 

*Higs, Thank you so much for the Balsamic reduction recipe - Day 11 here too for me.

M1- BPC + 3 eggs and veggies Spinach/green beans

M2  BB, left over pulled pork roasted with carrots, onions and 1/2 hass avocado

M3  Grilled Snapper, salad

I am finding out myself comfortable for the first time with the 3 meals, I am not working out yet for health reasons, but moving around as much as I can. I am feeding my boss the BB since he has a bad case of the flu, he is loving it.

I am very excited that this weekend is Marathon weekend in Houston, since I cannot run, I am walking the 5k on Saturday, and it will take a lot of discipline for me not to take up running, and Sunday I am working as a volunteer in Minor medical tent. I am soooooo EXCITED, did I say that already? I am going to be part of it one way or another. I got a training last night and got a badge, oh sweet time. I am planning to pack my meal 2 to go there, just in case, I can see there a lot of fruits and breads, not good.

Go do your chore people, before Dave apply his disciplinary on us, hehehehe.

Love & Peace

I had the most amazing breakfast this morning- I got the recipe from THe Best Whole 30 Recipes

The Incredible, Edible Egg-

I made mine with broccoli, red bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, zuchinni

Also for supper I had Butterflied Chicken with Roasted Veges - From the Winner Winner Chicken Dinner recipes

They were both wonderful & easy

p.s.  I'm in the no mayo club.  Never made it.  Don't like it.  Not really even interested in trying it.  Go team balsamic reduction!

Higs - Thank you for full disclosure.   I thought I was the only one.   Me neither, never made it and I am BR all of the way.   I don't make it the same way twice.   I use Macadamia Nut oil  at the end to silken it up and I've used every berry in season.   Sometimes, a tad of clarified butter, too.    Savory and fruity BR's are the coupe de ville of sauces for me.

Higs - I can't wait for the weekend.  I'll be waiting for a drive-by fruiting from you.

Miki - I'm only 1 hour ahead of you.   Rocky Mountain time.   

Laurie - Good one!  Like your tweaks and updates about Steve.

NannyD - You are a strong force to be reckoned with.   My heart turns to mush when I see what you're up to.   You are compliant without any complaint.    

Dave - motivator.     I was up and down the highway at 6:00 in search of compliant supplies.   Thank you for the great advice.  I do want to be known as healthy chick and not uptight food chick.   

I recommend hugs for the challenges we all face and then serious 'sucking it up, buttercup'.  The world is full of breakrooms, super bowl parties, anniversary and birthday parties...all populated with people who won't and don't eat like we need to eat.

We might as well get used to it if we want health to be a priority in our life.    So many of us have ridden that merry-go-round where all the horses' saddles are worn smooth from our butts.

We're eating whole foods in their whole forms.   We don't break these formations down into foods that look like pancakes, crepes or waffles - cookies, cakes or candy bars.   We don't take it to the razor's edge to see what we can get away with because we're only stopping our own progress if we do that.

If you will reread your book and search beyond this thread....you will find that the strategy Melissa and Dallas have created will break the cycle of binge eating.   I swear it broke the cycle for me.

When we eat like kings for 30 days (which is a long time for some of you at this point)....eating all healthy, non-trigger foods - it will make all of the difference in the world for an authentic Whole 30.

There are imaginary Whole 30's.   Yep.   The mods try very hard to point out those differences to us - real and authentic vs. imaginary.

Stay in your lane.   dcducks has ahold of the reins and we're working as a team of  workhorses.    Strong and powerful and everyone pulling for each other.  

Yeeeeee-hawwwwww!

article-0-12A62D21000005DC-71_964x524.jp

Higs - Thank you for full disclosure.   I thought I was the only one.   Me neither, never made it and I am BR all of the way.   I don't make it the same way twice.   I use Macadamia Nut oil  at the end to silken it up and I've used every berry in season.   Sometimes, a tad of clarified butter, too.    Savory and fruity BR's are the coupe de ville of sauces for me.

Higs - I can't wait for the weekend.  I'll be waiting for a drive-by fruiting from you.

Miki - I'm only 1 hour ahead of you.   Rocky Mountain time.   

Laurie - Good one!  Like your tweaks and updates about Steve.

NannyD - You are a strong force to be reckoned with.   My heart turns to mush when I see what you're up to.   You are compliant without any complaint.    

Dave - motivator.     I was up and down the highway at 6:00 in search of compliant supplies.   Thank you for the great advice.  I do want to be known as healthy chick and not uptight food chick.   

I recommend hugs for the challenges we all face and then serious 'sucking it up, buttercup'.  The world is full of breakrooms, super bowl parties, anniversary and birthday parties...all populated with people who won't and don't eat like we need to eat.

We might as well get used to it if we want health to be a priority in our life.    So many of us have ridden that merry-go-round where all the horses' saddles are worn smooth from our butts.

We're eating whole foods in their whole forms.   We don't break these formations down into foods that look like pancakes, crepes or waffles - cookies, cakes or candy bars.   We don't take it to the razor's edge to see what we can get away with because we're only stopping our own progress if we do that.

If you will reread your book and search beyond this thread....you will find that the strategy Melissa and Dallas have created will break the cycle of binge eating.   I swear it broke the cycle for me.

When we eat like kings for 30 days (which is a long time for some of you at this point)....eating all healthy, non-trigger foods - it will make all of the difference in the world for an authentic Whole 30.

There are imaginary Whole 30's.   Yep.   The mods try very hard to point out those differences to us - real and authentic vs. imaginary.

Stay in your lane.   dcducks has ahold of the reins and we're working as a team of  workhorses.    Strong and powerful and everyone pulling for each other.  

Yeeeeee-hawwwwww!

article-0-12A62D21000005DC-71_964x524.jp

Yeehhhaaaaawww I agree with you! Go Real be healthy, live and enjoy it!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/18985-forgive-me-whole30-for-i-have-sinned/

For your reading enjoyment, check out Glenn R's thread about SWYPO's.....Forgive me, Whole 30, for I have sinned.....

BTW, that avatar to the left is Miss Scarlet refusing potato chips.   That blabber mouth is trying to convince her to eat just one.  She is pushing back with bold resistance.   She's bratty and bossy, but with  Whole 30 forum members as her witness....she'll never be hungry again.

Please critique my meals:

M1 (pre-workout) 1 egg 1 egg white lettuce small scoop tuna 1 tsp coco oil  tea

M2 (post-workout) salad, chicken cutlet a scoop of mango chutney, slice of spinach and broccoli "cookoo" (it's a big veggie cake like a fritatta) I warmed up some sweet potato squash soup; hoping I can eat some.

I'm actually a very simple eater.  I can eat tuna, sardines,sushi, chicken and salad all the time.  I have an issue with cooked veggies, so I'm trying to expand my cooked veggie tolerance and the style of foods and what I eat.  I normally don't eat mayo, but my mayo fail made a great marinade for tilapia and string beans.  Also, it can get tiring to eat those simple things you love after a while.

I have my soup sitting beside me and I'm actually scared it's going to give me a sugar crash after I have it.  

I have lost 60 pounds over the past year.  I have another 20-30 to go.  While I'm working on improving and increasing my food quality, I still think we have to then decrease the food quantity to actually lose weight.......

My normal eating is very close to whole30 except for the potato chips.  And cheese.  I was going to either drop cheese or the occasional grain / legumes and see what happens but I thought, I should just do this thing all the way...... I have also tested for my food sensitivities with something called the Alcat test.   I've done it twice a year apart.  I also know that your food sensitivities change based on what you consume. For me, over that year, I developed sensitivities to things I was having more frequently.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused about the pre-post workout meals.  I want to start training again next week.  You know to get ready for bikini season. And I want to get the meals down right first.

If this soup gives me a sugar crash I will be pissed off!

Please critique my meals:

M1 (pre-workout) 1 egg 1 egg white lettuce small scoop tuna 1 tsp coco oil  tea

M2 (post-workout) salad, chicken cutlet a scoop of mango chutney, slice of spinach and broccoli "cookoo" (it's a big veggie cake like a fritatta) I warmed up some sweet potato squash soup; hoping I can eat some.

I'm actually a very simple eater.  I can eat tuna, sardines,sushi, chicken and salad all the time.  I have an issue with cooked veggies, so I'm trying to expand my cooked veggie tolerance and the style of foods and what I eat.  I normally don't eat mayo, but my mayo fail made a great marinade for tilapia and string beans.  Also, it can get tiring to eat those simple things you love after a while.

I have my soup sitting beside me and I'm actually scared it's going to give me a sugar crash after I have it.  

I have lost 60 pounds over the past year.  I have another 20-30 to go.  While I'm working on improving and increasing my food quality, I still think we have to then decrease the food quantity to actually lose weight.......

Pre WO recommendation is protein and fat. Post WO is protein and carb. No fruit at either.

Your pre WO example is fine. Post WO, drop the mango, and focus more on carb dense vegetables - the sweet potato soup could work here.  If the cookoo had egg yolks or another fat, that would not be a good post WO option, as you don't want the post WO option to include fat.

I responded to your earlier post with a thread with details to why decreasing food quantity/calories is not the way to go to lose weight.  I encourage you to give the Whole30 recommendations a shot for 30 days and see what happens for you.

EDIT:I just noticed that your pre and post WO are labeled as meals.  Which is it?  Pre WO fuel is recommended to be consumed 15 - 75 minutes pre workout.  Post WO is 15-30 minutes post WO.  If you're eating outside those time-frames, then the recommendation for both would be protein, veg and fat at each.

Hi Chris,  thank you I did read it; and I get it but deep down my brain is telling me to eat less to lose more........ maybe my appetite will decrease as I continue? I'm on day 15.  

My problem with the pre / post workout meals is, if I'm working out in the morning, it doesn't give me enough time between breakfast and the workout to have a full template M1 and pre-workout meal.  Then by the time I am out, it's about lunch time.   

I also had 2 brasil nuts 2 cashews and a few coconut nibs with tea right after M2.  

I am putting up a post it next to my quickie meals cheat sheet as a reminder, what to eat before and after........

Thank you!

My problem with the pre / post workout meals is, if I'm working out in the morning, it doesn't give me enough time between breakfast and the workout to have a full template M1 and pre-workout meal.  Then by the time I am out, it's about lunch time.   

So before your workout, have pre-workout fuel OR a full-template meal, depending on the timing.  If it's lunch time when you're done with your workout, and it's over 30 minutes after your workout, have a template meal.  If you need further guidance on how to structure your pre/post WO fuel and meals, check out the Whole30 for athletes forum.

The meal template has all the recommendations I listed. Some folks find it helpful to print it and post it on their refrigerator.

GOOD morning Peeps :)

Magic … that’s going to be my word. I’ve been thinking and thinking and nothing. Then this morning I read Tonya’s post and BAM there it was. “Magic”

I do not think the “pumpkin eggs” are SWYPO. If the dish were then ALL baked eggs/frittatas would fall under the same category. It’s taking 2 good for you ingredients and eating them for breakfast.

Oh no Miki! That is truly a bummer!! I was beginning to really be concerned because I haven't received my mayo from them yet.

So I have been skating pretty well through these phases and feeling pretty good. Slight headache, but that’s about it. Then I started having a frustrated conversation with a stapler, telling it that it was a stupid stapler for jamming. My health clerk was seated at a nearby desk and says “This IS kill all the things day, isn’t it?” LOL!

Yes folks, I was having an argument with a STAPLER.  :wacko:

Make it a great day, all!

I've been doing so well the last three days. Eating healthy is not really a problem for me, and I've gotten good at reading labels. The biggest issue for me, though, is binge eating. It can be on healthy food...I'm addicted to carrots and hummus! like...i could go to town on them.  And seeing that chickpeas are a no-no..i have somehow managed to find another vice.

Today I made a big batch of guacamole to have around...and I got bored around 4pm...and went to town. Dipping my carrots in the guac. I guess it could be worse...but I definitely feel guilt for this. I know we aren't supposed to snack...and I'm pretty active, so I have a hard time with that. Any advice?

Thanks! 

Chels

Archived