The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Miki - ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!!!

Tulip - I think you made a great decision. Every good decision builds on itself and soon it becomes easier.

I am so happy to be home and in control of the food. Rick and I were going to go away next weekend but we both decided it would be more relaxing to stay home.  We are going to Orlando in February and need to visit a client in Rosann's town if you can believe it. I have to see if she'll be home so I can purchase some of her wares  ;)

Meadow - When I started whole 30 last summer I picked up crafting again. I do knit, but I've been doing a lot more crocheting. At Thanksgiving I crocheted turkey hats for our whole family, LOL! One of my friends had her 10th baby yesterday so I'm going out to buy yarn today. That should last me through this whole 30! PS - I need a reminder on how to post pictures - I wanted to upload one but when I click on the picture button I have to give the URL. What if it's just a picture on my computer? Thanks in advance!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meadow-I don't knit, but I have crocheted in the past. I will have to get my stuff out, it is a good way to keep hands busy. I love the dog sweater!

Tulip-yay for your success! Family can be so challenging.

Glad everyone finally has their hot sauce, it must be some good stuff!

I had my first encounters with sweets yesterday. First, I ate lunch with a student. She is nine years old and her lunch consisted of a nacho Lunchable, 2 bags of chips, peanut butter candy cakes, a nutty buddy, several Airheads (candy), a ring pop, a bottle of Sunny D and a bottle of water. Is it any wonder she is having trouble in school? We talked about her lunch, usually she gets lunch at school, but yesterday she packed her own. All of these things were what was available to her at home. Cheap and easy, no nutritional value. So sad. While I was eyeing the candy cakes when she first brought them out, as her and I talked the reasons for doing Whole 30 and sticking with a paleo eating style really hit home.

I think that encounter made me stronger for the one that occurred later in the afternoon. During a meeting, someone brought in brownies from the deli down the street, still warm from the oven. We call these brownies "deli crack" for good reason. It also helped that the woman sitting next to me said she could not eat them because she is gluten-free. So, that really was not as big of a challenge as I would have expected.

So, I ended my work week surviving two fairly easy challenges. Now this is a three day weekend. I need to make a plan to help me stay busy. Things I need to do:

-clean out kitchen cabinets

-clean out dinng room cupboard

-go through my son's clothes and remove the too small ones

-get binders and help him clean out his old ones

-put photographs in the new frames I got last week

-get out crocheting stuff and find a project

-plan and shop for next week's meals

-meal prep

-finish the book I'm reading

-go to the gym

I'll come back and look at this list if I get bored. Happy weekend!

Miki - Did your coworkers surprise you or was it your order?   YAY  You!  Kudos to you for hard core working-out dedication and discipline....you're a beast and I mean that in the most complimentary way.

CC -  I love yarn shops.   I would like to bring all of it home like a packrat.

DSCN0715.JPG

Laurie - It's pretty easy to knit.   I can make sweaters for gifts but I find dog coats quick and fun.  I made sweaters for everyone in my family for Christmas one year.   They opened them up and it was like..."oh, goodie...uh huh".   So I didn't do that again.   My dog appreciates everything I do.

Tonya -  Great job and kudos to you for helping out the student.    I'm glad you were able to right your ship.   Eyeballing all of  that sugar didn't trigger you to buy some for yourself.   That's a WIN!!!

Like others,   I have the Big Kahuna triggers.   I am triggered by coffee and cream but not by fruit at all.  Congrats to everyone working the Whole 30.   So much of this stuff is mental.    How we think about things, approach them, work through them.   How we process through and how we continue on.

I'm sending out hugs to 'thems' that need it and anyone else out there being sucked under a tidal wave of pressure and food cravings.    Finding the answers to breaking  our old cycles and habits is  so unique for each of us.

I only know that thrill eating doesn't solve our problems.    It is so worth it to keep breaking these cycles so we can heal.

You know that song,   "It all about Da Oil  'Bout Da Oil,  No Trouble"....yeah, it's like that.     When you're confronted with a boatload of Big Kahuna triggers staring you in the face - remember, it's all about Da Oil.     Have yourself  some avocado or a couple teaspoons of Macadamia Nut Oil,  EV Coconut Oil or EV Olive Oil at that very minute you're feeling overwhelmed with a Big Kahuna.    It will nip it right in the bud.

Today is Deb's Birthday.   Come back to us, Deb.   

I sent her Birthday hugs and kisses...all around from everyone.   She told me to tell you Hello, she's headed out the door for a cuppa Bone Broth at Brodo!

It is the country's first Bone Broth stand.   Ahhhh, Deb,  Happy, Happy Birthday!

Remember..  "It all about Da Oil, 'Bout Da Oil, No Trouble".     Go and eat avocado slices or take 2 teaspoons of Macadamia Nut Oil.   MacNut Oil goes down easier than  EV Coconut Oil.    I also use a delicious EV Olive Oil.   Take some, it's good, good medicine for cravings. Oil will smother cravings.   Last night, you said you didn't have too many good fats.     You need them for satiety.   They sooth your belly like toasty socks.   Da Oil, Da Oil and you'll have no more troubles.

Peanut Butter, jelly, chocolate, cheese are calling because you're not taking advantage of good fats.  Throw everything you knew about fats right out the window.   Control Alt Delete.    Good fats will also smother out candida/SIBO.   If bellies are rising due to a former life of too many sugars....compliant oils smother these issues.  

Good oils are really your good friends.   Those others are imposters.   Every fiber of your being does not want you to give up sugar.   Giving in to our cravings only puts us in a deeper hole.

Tulip-

Go for a walk, head to the gym, do something to distract yourself. I really wanted a big glass off red wine last night… somethings we need to just shake off and go on without. In the next week, I know chocolate will be haunting my dreams!! It's just 30 days, you can do anything for 30 days.

Dearest Meadow Lily,

You zoomed straight into my problem! My last avocado was yuckie once I opened it this morning.  My really good macadamia nuts are finished.... I had some olives with my breakfast but it didn't satisfy  me.  That oil looks really good, I'll have to look for it.  I SHOULD HAVE gone for a walk but it's too cold and I was on all 3 kids duty and I'm having a neuroma in my foot that's not healing...... So I had a "snack" of nuts 1 date and almond milk latte.  This is honestly one of my worst habits.  It could be worse.....

Last night I had a high fat "snack" while we watched Erin Brokovitch on demand.....  I agree with you when something's missing you crave things.....

Is there a good place to order healthy things like that mac oil online?  My supermarkets are kind of limited around here.  Even though I'm in NY.....

And I love getting packages in the mail!

xoxo Tulip

Happy Birthday to Deb!  Meadow, thanks for passing along our hellos and b'day wishes!

Yes to fats.  Eat fat!  Happy fat is happy!  Fear not the fat!  I eat a lot of avocado and I do not skimp with my EVOO.  I am at day 13 over here and I feel AWESOME, ran three and a half miles and plotted out my training plan for the next couple months.  I am so motivated right now.

Here is the other tiny breakthrough:  my partner muttered to me this week that maybe he will try a Whole30 one of these days.  He is seeing all the obvious benefits for me, and because I've done several W30's this year, the differences when I'm on plan and off are dramatic.  And he recognizes the same could be true for him.  My shopping cart always looks crazy because it is loaded up with veggies and expensive meat, and then along comes the potato chips and peanut M&Ms and other crap for him.  He'll eat what I cook sometimes and he's starting to like it.  He just doesn't want to quit booze for 30 days.  He is an awesome cook though and I would love it if he would take on cooking some Whole30 meals but I don't trust him yet not to sneak something non-compliant in.

So last week my brand new veg was rutabaga, and it was fine, I'll try it again.  This week I'm tackling DAIKON RADISH.  I have no idea yet what to do with it.  I got the smallest one I could find in case I don't like it.

Miki:  thank god your Tessamae hot sauce has finally arrived!!!

Meadow:  please post a photo of little Sophia in that adorable bumblebee coat!  I am no knitter and generally not too crafty at all.  But next dry spell I'll go prune some fruit trees which I think is kind of arty.

Tonya: the story about your student is heartbreaking.  All that sugar!!  I can hardly imagine.  Good for you for using that experience to motivate you.  I love that schools are starting to have more lunch options incorporating seasonal and local veggies.  I heard a wonderful story recently about some kids that had a school project where they grew, prepared, cooked and ate their own vegetables -- and found them delicious!  There was something in that process of growing it themselves that made it really special for them, and therefore taste better.  It is so important that schools have programs like that.

I'm tackling chores and a big cookup today since we're watching playoffs all day tomorrow (I will have my own food of course).

Happy weekend, everyone.  

p.s. I'm belatedly posting one of my go-to recipes that someone requested a while back.  I bet I make this twice a month.  I double it and eat it for lunch all week long:

http://paleoinpdx.com/2012/07/20/simple-supper-friday-coconut-turkey-stew/

It is fast, easy and delicious.  I use chard instead of kale usually, and add lime and ginger to give it more tang.

All of it can be shipped from Amazon, Tulip.   I haven't checked for avocados, but they probably have those, too.  We're currently having 70 mph gusts, wind chill from the snow on the ground...  I would like to be out outside but it just wouldn't be prudent.   Order what your budget will allow you,  with the littles and all. 

Good fats for whatever is ailing us.    I'll let Higs tell you about the virtues of BB (bone broth).  Put on some toasty socks and fling your arms around while you watch a movie.

P.S.  That was copasinki....Higs was typing at the same time.

p.p.s.!  My other favorite discovery in recent months:  if you can find them, try Stokes purple sweet potatoes.  They are incredible!  They are purple all the way through and have a really hearty, nutty flavor.  They are gorgeous.  I prefer them to regular sweet potatoes because they're less sweet, and they are so, so pretty.  I found some at Whole Foods recently.

Hey peeps! I am still around and in the game but have had a busy week! My sleep is almost NON-existant!! The only thing I can think of for this is that I have not been able to get out and run much in the past two weeks and not at all in the past week (thanks to a lot of rain and...well... LIFE) so maybe my body has become dependent on that activity.  

I made some most excellent almond-crusted baked chicken tenders the other night I just loved! Ground up some raw almonds w/ my ninja, added some cayenne, pepper, salt, paprika, and garlic powder and mixed, battered some chicken tenderloins in a few whipped eggs, coated with almonds, baked at 350 for 30 min. ===== yum!!!! And so easy! 

Hope y'all are having a great first week for the 1/12 starters! And everyone else too!

I have tried to figure out how to post pictures on here... someone might have to walk me through that!

I was so proud of myself throwing a chicken in the slow cooker today, and alas, after 4 hours - still raw. I explained to my son that the slow cooker is only 24 years old, so it seems time for a replacement, LOL!

Higs - I can't believe Chris is considering a whole 30! That's awesome. I think if he can even get two weeks in it might convince him of how good he could feel.  Rick is reluctant on the booze, too. It doesn't matter that much to me. At our conference last week, at the end they broke out this very expensive and rare bottle of whiskey to celebrate. I thought bummer! I can't have any! And then I remembered I don't drink whiskey. :)  Rick doesn't either but he did NOT handle it well!  We both have much more mentally/emotionally challenged this go around than before.

Today was better - I'm trying to recover with some free time and get caught up on rest.

Tomorrow is a busy day - I might not get a chance to check in. I'm taking my son to see Wicked in NYC. It's his 8th grade graduation present (which was last June!) 

Wishing everyone a great day 7!

PS: Higs - after I finished cooking the chicken I saved the bones so maybe there is bone broth in my future!

sounds like we're starting to round some corners here. Great needle work CC & Meadow. Jess, encouraged by your hormonally sound appetite.Higs the sweet pots sound amazing...now in search

Off to jacuzzi after a hard and hot day gardening. Planted Wisteria and Lilac. Not sure if they'll grow, but we'll find out.

Hello all! Been absent for a couple days....super busy! Friday was up at 0400 for a duck hunt with a friend. Got a few birds and then raced home to change and then drove to pick some auto parts before driving an hour to my friends house. Spent the next few hours helping him install a motor and transmission in a 1970 Ford pick-up that he is restoring. Then I changed clothes and zipped off for another hour drive to see my youngest compete in a swim meet. Then I swung by a junk yard to pick up a metal skid plate to replace the one on my Jeep which protects my fuel tank. it was another hour + drive home, too k the wife out for dinner and then off to bed. I had steak and salad. Got up at 0400 yesterday for another duck hunt which turned out to be a really cold morning watching the sun come up.....no birds! We had some good friends down with their three boys (about the same ages as our three boys) and we took them bowling and out for Pizza. I had a big salad. My cravings are diminishing, my energy is coming on strong and my sleep is getting more sound....even with the aching shoulder!

I started my next set of classes last Monday and will be buried in Business Statistics and my Master's Thesis for the next few months. The good news is that I will graduate by this summer! I spoke with my Dean on Thursday and it looks like I am going to continue my education in the fall and start my Doctoral program.........who would have thought it!

I have been reading everyone's comments and it doesn't seem like any are out of the ordinary. Same complaints, urges, aches, pains, moods, etc! That is a good thing! All of these annoyances will subside and real strength will replace it.......you have to believe in yourself and what you are doing! DO NOT GIVE UP! Since this isn't my first go-around, I can already tell that I have lost around 5 pounds.....I can just feel it. My bloating is gone, hunger is down. I drink lots of water when I do get a little hungry and then find something to tide me over, usually some sort of meat or cashew.......not a lot, just enough. BINGING IS BAD! Break that habit!

Today will be catching up on homework and some inside the home cleaning since it is pouring buckets outside. YOUR CHORE is to pick one room in the house........and detail it! Top to bottom....dust, wipe down walls and doors to get rid of smudges and fingerprints, clean windows, vacuum, tidy, put things away, whatever it takes to make that room PERFECT! If it takes more than a half hour.......no worries.......just get it done!

My support and strength is sent your way! Don't give up on yourself......this is just a day.....no worse than tomorrow....just better than yesterday! Your body is changing whether you know it is or not......but the results are just a few weeks away. I Promise!

Dave

Fat most definitely helps with cravings-right now, coconut milk has been my go-to, but in the past I have rolled little balls of coconut oil in unsweetened coconut flakes to help with cravings. I'm finding over the last few days that if I eat enough fat at a meal, I don't have cravings. This truly is an individual journey, finding out what works. I love this group, such great support!

I made the most delicious soup last night-chicken, sweet potatoes, pepper, onion, cilantro and salt/pepper/cumin in chicken broth. I found the recipe on Pinterest-yum!

You guys have made me brave to try making mayo again, so that is on the agenda today. Also, I made a list yesterday of chores to tackle on this three day weekend. May end up "detailing" the dining room, great idea Dave.

Archived