The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Wow.   Just Wow.   The sunrise and all of the kind, thoughtful people are awake.   Sadie, Tonya, Laurie, ChiggerCane, Nanny, Higs,  Miki and  Dave.   I do have an alpine green mat and I will stretch.    Sadie, we need them.   Laurie - I think Miki is a fabulous chef but I bet you know how to make great things, too.    Tonya,  I like your light bulb.

Miki and I  posted at the same time.   This is a C & R.

Hurricane.   I think of Denzel Washington when I think of Hurricane.   Denzel picks great roles, he's the good guy.    In his recent movie, The Equalizer,  there are some great lines.   

"Change your world"

"Body, soul and spirit"

"Progress.  Not Perfection"

Denzel always helps the underdog.   I absolutely love that.   dcducks does that, too.    I won't give the movie away....I cover my eyes during the heavy duty scenes and  just listen.    He tells the underdogs over and over....Change your world.     It's body, soul and spirit.    You can be anything you want to be.

He's coaching  an overweight fella (tiny preview) and he walks along side him as the man wants to throw in the towel and give up on himself.    Denzel says...."Now, who's gonna make security guard.     Now , who's gonna make security guard."      The man pushes through and Denzel gives him praise.

There's the table scene where Denzel asks what kind of sandwich the man is eating.

Whatcha got there?

Tuna

Bread?

Whole wheat, gluten free.

Condiments? 

Sprouts, tomato, avocado, veganese mayo

A loud crunch and man says..."bone in the tuna" (he likes potato chips for crunch)

You wanna make security guard?   You asked me to help you and you gotta lose the weight!  But if you're not willing to apply yourself....hey!

Progress.   Not Perfection.

Carrots are crunchy.   Dry seaweed is crunchy.   Come on now.  Come on now!

Man takes the potato chips off of the sandwich and says "No more potato chips".

I really like that boot camp approach.     Don't you?

I'm probably more Private Benjamin than Hurricane like Miki.   Miki is a prize fighter in every walk of life.

There is no rope-a-dope for Miki.   No sirreeee.    She is not going to stay down on the floor for the count down.    She's up on her knees right now and back in the ring.   She's dancing like a butterfly.

"Float like a butterflysting like a bee. His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see. Now you see me, now you don't."

Miki - give the nut butters, all of the nuts and dried fruits away.  To break the bond with an old habit we have to create a new pattern.    Change your world.   Break the chains and unshackle yourself from nuts.   You don't live in a Nut Hut.

thenuthutwater.jpg

Cleaning is good medicine.   It can remove years of stagnation from our brains.   Our closets, drawers are a  reflection of what's going on in our heads.   Stirring up our catch-all drawer or  closet is like cleaning out our heads.   There are trouser socks fomenting revolution with ankle and knee socks.  Some sort of order in that chaos must be imposed.  I will clean today.

It will help me get back up off of the floor, too.   No more rope-a-dope.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not been eating nuts but yesterday I ate way too many pistachio nuts and today my stomach hurts.  No nuts again.

Steve has an appointment as the hospital this afternoon.  Last week, his blood levels went down.  I am concerned because Steve's white blood cell count is too low.  He got a shot last Thursday to help his body produce more white blood cells.  Hopefully, the medication was effective. 

Good morning,

Meadow and Miki, so sorry for your lost, both of you and your family in my prayers. For the healing of the heart.

Dave, good for you not staying at the hospital, that is the worst food ever. When I had been, and I had to stay, I make sure I prepare soups in advance, and my mother prepare me food at home.  One day, I was on a liquid diet, and feeling very stomach upset, with no wish to eat. They brought me the liquid menu and of all the nastiness, it sound good to me the beef broth and the chicken broth, so I ordered that, well, lady showed up with a tray with 2 foam cups (I do not use those not even for free) filled with hot water and 2 envelopes, one with chicken broth and the other with beef broth.  My husband looked at me, looked at the lady who brought it and said: "you can take that away, she will not drink that", he knows better.

Day 17 for me, I was MIA too busy with the 5k on Saturday, Volunteer at Medical in the Marathon on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I was just exhausted and a bad headache and HBP, I think weather related.  I managed to eat at home, pack some "sirloin" sausage patties for the weekend, and I ate a couple of bananas, one each day, considering all the craziness, I did great. 

Today

M1- 3 scrambled eggs w/ spinach in ghee

M2- Smoked Salmon, Avocado, Green Beans

M3- fajita meat (grilled skirt) w/yuca, peppers/onions

Have a good day, 

I have not been eating nuts but yesterday I ate way too many pistachio nuts and today my stomach hurts.  No nuts again.

Steve has an appointment as the hospital this afternoon.  Last week, his blood levels went down.  I am concerned because Steve's white blood cell count is too low.  He got a shot last Thursday to help his body produce more white blood cells.  Hopefully, the medication was effective. 

Hi Laurie,

I had to almost eliminate all nuts because of tummy discomfort too. Occasional tbs of almond butter and some nuts in a recipe not very often. If I eat cashews it messed up my stomach and facial allergy right away. Instant service.

Hugs to you and Steve. XOXOXOX 

Meadow and Miki, I am so sorry to hear about both of you losing an uncle this week.  My condolences to both your families.  I am sending hugs to you both.

Me, I am really fatigued today.  I'm on day 17 I think, and I had a really good run of energy for a few days.  But last night I couldn't keep my eyes open after 8 pm and woke up this morning very tired.  I skipped my morning workout feeling like I need a rest day.  Whew.  I think that one more good night's sleep will get me right back on track again but bedtime is a very long time away!  I'm having some bone broth and some zinc with breakfast to set things right.

Dave, are you doing the rotator cuff surgery?  I sure hope it goes easily for you.  I don't know what kind of horse pills the docs will need to give you to keep you calm and quiet at home, but they better be damn strong.  A rhino sedative, maybe?

Have a good day, all.

Nanny, what fun race pics!  It looks like everyone had a great time.  

Laurie, I hope the meds work and that Steve is producing those white blood cells in droves!  Then, Dave can start assigning him chores, too!

Hi! I'm new to Whole30 so am expecting to need some 'splaining and support. Your group has a great positive approach and energy!  I'm not into whining but because of that I don't see my own problems and hope to learn from yours. Normally I have lots of problems so I can share.  :)  

Also, I see a few runners here. I've been running three years and I like to *race* (in the back of the pack). Recently, a bunch of health problems have showed up and my doctors say, "your running is making you sick" to which I say,"BS" but there is definitely something amiss that running makes worse. I'm hoping with Whole30 I can figure it out because I am addicted and might melt if I have to stop running. :P

I started Whole30 1/17/15, ditched all the crap in my pantry and fridge, am on my 4th day and am eating like a queen, feeling ok, and am constantly daydreaming of carbs but love the food! I expected the daydreams. My brain!! It is excellent at sabotage! Tried running yesterday for the first time in 9 days after a dnf on a marathon from flu symptoms. It was an easy flat slow four miles but felt like a really hard slog with chest pain. It could be from still being sick but I thought maybe this was due to fat burning vs carb burning. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it change or do you just adjust? Well, whether or not this rings a bell, I love your spirit and look forward to reading more!  

Miki - stop complaining about the Tiger Blood coming to me first! Throw out the nuts and start wiping down the high spots!

Lauri - DO NOT send Steve to Miki.....its a trap!

Higs - My last operation (a few months back) I was awake during the procedure and the nurses go over a checklist before and after to ensure all of the instruments are accounted for. After they checked the list (post-op) I got up from the table and two instruments fell off of my stomach and onto the floor! I asked them "what kind of quality Assurance program are you running around here?" You are correct, they had better give me good drugs. Trust me......Kelly will insist upon it! She has seen me in action. I had leg surgery several years ago and was in a cast up to my thigh. She came home from the store to find me with a trash bag taped around my leg, in a pouring rain.........tilling the garden! She was not happy! I WILL NOT BE HELD DOWN!

Don't have a good day......MAKE IT a good day!

Dave

Hey-o!!!

Hope you don't mind me popping in so late, but I also started on the 12th. Dave, to make up for my tardiness, I have sent you a check for $10,000.

M1: Aidells Chicken Apple Sausage, carrotts, brocc, onions, and garlic, with coconut oil and coconut aminos (pretty much using up my veggies)

M2: Packing turkey and salad greens, banana, and individual almond butter pack.

M3: Not sure yet :)

Be well, and nice to meet y'all!

~Michaela

Hello all! Meadow and Miki, so very sorry for your losses? You all will be in my prayers.

Jes, I can relate to the tea incident so much. Yesterday, I ordered a hot tea from Starbucks and was so paranoid that they would sweeten it. I just knew with that first sip I would have major disappointment. Lucky me, they got it right! It was delicious. Now I need to look up the ingredient list online as it is one of their new Teavana teas...jade citrus mint something or other. It was delicious and didn't taste sweet so I hope it's compliant.

Today I got together with friends for lunch at someone's house so it was easy to stay compliant and still have fun.

Dave, as an RN working in same day surgery I have some advice. Take the pre-op shot (even if you hate shots) and take your pain meds before the pain gets bad! Stay ahead of the pain. And be kind to your nurses. Remember that they probably haven't had a chance to eat or pee in a while!!! And it seems like you take charge of most situations but you really should follow the directions given you young sailor! Lol. No being outside with a trash bag taped around your extremity the day after surgery! We will have to send Miki or Meadow over there to take charge!

I tried posting yesterday but the forums were down. I'm so encouraged to be back with you all!

Overall this has been such a challenging Whole 30 for me. I HATE THE WHINING AND COMPLAINING!! I'm just not hitting on all cylinders like I did the first time. 1) I am not throwing the towel and 2) I'm guessing this means I need more than a Whole 30.

I'm reading a great book right now, "Women, Food, and Desire." I think those are Dave's three favorite things, no? 

The gal who wrote it also helped write Super Size Me, a movie I have never watched.

Her food plan is very in alignment with Whole 30. I just like how she describes it - eliminating foods to see how your body reacts to them. For some reason, I have it in my head this time that it's so punishing. Which, it is not. It's just in my head.

Also, I am having crazy dreams this time around!!! Not food dreams, but BAD dreams, like people dying and being murdered and craziness. 

I'm glad to see everyone doing so well. Miki and Meadow, so sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you.

Dave, I myself would love to have surgery and watch it at the same time. Fascinating. I'm giving you no advice on taking it easy, because you are no sissy.

Love, love, love to you all! 

• Administrators

Also, I am having crazy dreams this time around!!! Not food dreams, but BAD dreams, like people dying and being murdered and craziness. 

May I ask, are you eating within about 2 hours of your bedtime? For myself I have what I refer to as "spider nightmares" if I eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime. (I call them spider nightmares because often spiders are in them which TERRIFY me...but I've had some doozies including the people dying and being murdered and one where I did my own sweet dog some harm). Blech.

Sadie and Grannie D, thank you. Shanny, that is scary.

CC - So sorry to hear you're having a tough time, I wonder what it is. Last time it did seem easy for you. I too am having really vivid, memorable dreams...I assumed that was because I was sleeping better and having more deep/dream sleep. 

Somewhere along the way this time, I heard the hormone balance secret. I've started to let go of the "measure the olive oil" mentality and "weigh the meat" mentality and decided to feel my weigh through. I am getting less attached to the snacking...I can feel a difference in my mind and body (3 whole 30's and this is a new feeling and realization- so I"m a bit slow). I was at a function tonight, I carried around a glass of wine (someone handed it to me) finally gave it to someone who had finished theirs and carried there empty one around. Lots of food, but I wasn't even interested.

Meadow, trying hard to give away my butters and nuts at home. We have them in the office, so will continue to try and ignore them. much less snacking today...feeling a diff. 

Meadow, the distinctions you bring to the table are so helpful, thank you.

Laurie - hang in there, you're amazing.

Shanny - thanks for the tip on not eating too close to bedtime. I did not do that last night, and didn't have the dreams. I'm going to pay closer attention to that. I am sleeping much harder and longer than I ever did before, which is a great thing.

Mik - I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you!! I like the wine trick. AND, it's your third Whole 30 and your boss is still pressuring you about eating, LOL?  Good for you for hanging in there.

I got myself back to the gym today, and I'm committing to get back there today. That's always a good start to the day!

Make it a good one Dirty 30's!

Hello all,

Long night of homework had me up until midnight. We have a fun day at work today so I made a new recipe called "Beer, Bacon, Bean Chili". I won't be eating it but it was fun to make. Lots of ground beef, bacon and a whole bottle of Yuengling beer!

Granny D - I have no fear of shots, I used to get 12 shots a week for allergies........no issues! I'm worse than a young sailor....I am an old retired sailor! I'm always nice to people working......I just hate lazy! Yes, the trash bag story was not a good idea. I also got out of bed one time after leg surgery and was trying to get down the stairs on crutches with nobody home. I "high centered" myself and fell forward landing on the surgically repaired leg....tearing out the stitches.........oops! I also am not good about waiting for things to dissolve and will usually take my own stitches out once they start getting on my nerves! I don't have any patience.......this should not come as a surprise to anyone! I dislocated my finger....badly.......while playing basketball about 10 years ago. I knelt down on my hand putting all of my body weight on it and reset it myself because I didn't trust the Navy doctors to do it right! A few MAN tears and some pee down my leg and I was good as knew........after about 9 months of rehab! I'm not tough, just impatient and figure I can do it better myself! If they would give me a scalpel and a mirror I would try to do my own shoulder.

Have a great day everyone! I have class until late tonight so probably won't write anymore today!

Dave

Yay for homemade mayo! Y'all were right about the immersion blender! What a difference! Found this tutorial online:

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

And doubled the recipe and it took less than two minutes, start to finish! Blended for about 30 seconds! Beautiful, great tasting mayo, no need to slow drip the oil, no need to have the egg room temperature. The hardest part was finding a jar with a big enough mouth on it... wound up in a glass jar clearly labeled "SUGAR" which I find more than a little amusing :) 

I do believe I have a new favorite kitchen tool! 

CC - glad you're sounding better today! I didn't make the gym as I was up too late. When the boss is in town, my life is not my own. This year I will do better focusing on my while she's away so I can "afford" to coast a bit while she is here. I keep thinking my life should slow down, but alas, not so much...yet, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Dave - that story might be TMI.

Day 8 on previous whole 30's my sinuses were great and my one bad ear was great...I'm attributing that to the nut and nut butter, so as of today, I commit to my darling meadow and CC that I will not eat nuts or nut butter for the duration of this Whole 30. I will consider today the start of that and will check in on my self next mon...ears, sinuses, itching. (I'm sure the boss will put cashews on our salad today, or something, lol, and be wholy pissed off when I tell her I've added this to the NO list. She has never liked any eating plan that I embark on, perhaps because it does inhibit our "play time. She will be gone the whole month of Feb. I have a friend coming out the end of Feb so I will try to do a mindful reintro, staying with all I've learned. 

I am at the point where I sleep hard and wake quick...I love that.

Miki - you're not really on an eating plan and certainly not on a diet.   I know several of us here do not post our food.  Another member that's been here for some time was a ww instructor.   The thought of posting her food reminds her too much of the old days where every bite, every calorie or point, and step was logged.  Then there were the ghastly weigh-ins.  That reminds me of a feed-lot where the cattle are put through the chute and the mavericks get a cattle prod.

So unless there's a problem, the WD30 veterans don't post daily food....in case you noticed.   That does not mean that others should not be using this thread for doing exactly that.    All is understood and appreciated.     Post On.   Post On.

This is a judgment free zone.   

There are others who like to reveal their  feelings, fears, hopes and general thoughts on just about everything.   That is also an invaluable tool for a head reset.   The head reset from a Whole 30 is golden.     The food reset is great, too.

I have been able to read over what I wrote just a day or two previously and see my own flaws.   Miki calls those Catch and Release.    She has accurately described what many fishermen do in my neck of the woods.   They come here for the Blue Ribbon Trout streams and they Catch and Release.   They catch the most beautiful Over the Rainbow Trout ...kiss them and release them back to freedom.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Trout

rainbow5.jpg

Feel free to rant and rave...or edge your way down slowly from a tough spot.   We get it.     The odds are higher of getting where we want to go and staying there if we engage our heads during this process.    Just going through the motions or bemoaning food boredom won't get you there.    

A heaping spoonful of willingness to share your Whole 30 experiences  and an embracement of compliant whole foods will get you there.   A willingness to make up words like embracement is fun, too.

Love the Trout Meadow and the message. For me the mental release of "battling food" would be such a blessing for the second half of my life. I'm feeling the freedom, getting the tugs on my line and looking forward to reeling in the true beauty and meaning of the rainbow trout.

Jesslight, I got a beautiful blue mason jar at Cost Plus World imports. Immersion Blender is the way to go!

Archived