The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

I've been doing so well the last three days. Eating healthy is not really a problem for me, and I've gotten good at reading labels. The biggest issue for me, though, is binge eating. It can be on healthy food...I'm addicted to carrots and hummus! like...i could go to town on them.  And seeing that chickpeas are a no-no..i have somehow managed to find another vice.

Today I made a big batch of guacamole to have around...and I got bored around 4pm...and went to town. Dipping my carrots in the guac. I guess it could be worse...but I definitely feel guilt for this. I know we aren't supposed to snack...and I'm pretty active, so I have a hard time with that. Any advice?

Thanks! 

Chels

Snacking when you're hungry is ok. (Hungry = you feel like you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli.) Snacking because you're bored is a habit the Whole30 can help you break.

Instead of reaching for food when you're bored, do something non-food related. Call a friend, do a brain teaser, read, do a craft or hobby, jog around the block.

Also, be sure your main meals satiate you for 4-5 hours, to help minimize snacking. Tweak your protein, veg and fat portions until you get there.  Until you get there, for best results, compose any snacks of protein, veg and fat.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night, my mother tried to give me a few groceries 'staples' (it makes sense of you know the background) including a bag of sugar and a box of spaghetti.  I refused to take them, saying we don't use sugar or pasta in this house.  She laughed - "that's crazy...who doesn't use sugar?!"  How many times have I explained what I'm doing...?  Love my mom, but really!

Hunger seems to be fading some today - my 4 pm munchies were not as pronounced - I tried to satisfy with a boiled egg, couple slices of avacado, raw cauliflower and raw carrots with some tessamae dressing.  quite tasty.

major headache today;  even tried to take a 20 minute power nap earlier . . . .  

question:  I'm going to my mil's house tomorrow night for dinner; she will be making a soup that's made with veggies and beef, she already know to separate mine out so it does not include her msg corn starch sugar laden food flavoring; my question is if it has chick peas in it, can I just pull those out and eat it?  I am entering dangerous territory here.  I'm already not eating her rice and other stuff.... I usually eat a salad before I go over there, and take a little something with me for myself or for everyone . . . . opinions?

Hey everyone - we were traveling yesterday and I was in a meeting all day so I'm just getting caught up. I can't respond to everyone, and it looks like a lot of questions were answered, so I'll try to hit some highlights.

First, Miki: Did your mom eat the hot sauce? Why is she stashing your stuff and not telling you? :D

Lots of good advice on the mayo. Here's what I have to add: When it's all runny, it's "broken."  There are lots of videos on How to Fix Broken Mayo.  Here's a link to one of them. Some of the oils are so expensive, I can't stand to throw it out.

Tulip: I was pretty anxious on my first Whole 30, and I still get anxious sometimes.  Sometimes it's hard, but you need to take a deep breath and trust the process.  Many people do not lose weight on this plan. However, if you are willing to follow it, you will more amazing than ever.  If you restrict your calories, you will work AGAINST the process. This plan helps you get in tune with what your body really needs. As much as you might be craving them, potato chips cannot fall into that category!  Also, I'm thinking chutney may have sugar in it, unless you're making it yourself.  

The problem with MIL. Is it that you'll offend her, or that you'll be hungry. I only ate at someone else's house ONCE while on whole 30, and I'll never do it again. Our food list and preparations are too much to place on someone else. For this one visit, why don't you just make your own stuff and take it with you? Say you're on a special food plan for 30 days, and you don't want to make extra work for her so you brought your own. And, THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING, THAT'S WHY I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!

I think it's important to take this one day at a time. When you start worrying about the future and forever - you will FREAK YOURSELF OUT.

I hope that's helpful and not bossy!

I really struggled on this trip more than ever. After I posted on Tuesday we went out to dinner and I ordered grilled fish, grilled asparagus, and substituted steamed broccoli for rice. The fish came covered in cream sauce! I felt terrible, but sent it back. I didn't think to ask, because it did not mention it on the menu. It was pretty exhausting. Once Rick and are through this 30 days, I think we will decide to eat whole 30 at home, but not while traveling. It's a lot of work and planning.

And finally, as we were checking in for our flight yesterday, I discovered that I had lost my driver's license! I thought I would be stranded in Nashville!!  They were pretty nice about it, and let me on the plane. Lucky that Rick vouched for me!!!

I hope everyone is doing well. Hang in there! It can be tough to get the hang of the prep work, but I think Laurie outlined a pretty wise approach. And, if you go off plan, Dave will kick some booty!!

Sending everyone lots of love!!

CC - you and Rick are real troopers. Tulip I think we have all had set backs because well meaning people use a garlic powder with something bad or a broth base that isn't on the whole 30. There are so many dangers in eating food that we don't prepare.

Chigger - my mother -  if you only knew the trauma my errant packages caused. She  already gave  most of the stuff away thinking I was sending it to her as gifts.

Dave, cleaned a cabinet at work.

Doing good on lunch & dinner. Still working on the snacking thing. I need to get tough on myself. 

Let's go!

Miki

Today is Day 5 without dairy - I have never, ever in my entire life been so many days without cheese (this is why I was never successful on Whole 30 before).  And I haven't died yet!  I really thought I would just die if I didn't get to eat cheese!  I'm actually pretty ok and not really missing it. 

Have a great Whole 30 day everyone! 

T&T...good job! Cheese is a slippery slope.

I looked on the Tessamae website and it says my order was fulfilled on the 10th...what does that mean? I don't feel ...fullfilled. 

Didn't make it to the gym...a little tired. 

Definitely not drinking enough water with all this detoxing, so will focus on that today. Made veggie soup last night and will throw a little ground chicken in my portion today.

Looking forward to the farmer's market tomorrow. Meyer Lemons are in...WAHOO. Will also get some fresh greens. I will stay away from the end where they hand out all the free samples..."Danger Will Robinson, Danger".

Our darling Deb is missed. She has to focus on her health quest and like minded people, but we sure do miss her. 

Make it a great day you dirty birds.

Miki - we sure do miss her food/chef quality recipes... how to prevent food boredom by mixing it all up.   I've learned, I've learned.  

You, Higs, Roseann and others are right up there in the chef department.  

The longer I stay away from the Big Kahuna trigger foods the less I deal with cravings.  Over-restriction, reducing the size of meals forces ourselves to deal with chronic hunger over too long a period of time.   Over-restriction is pretty much self-inflicted starving.  

There is absolutely no need to count a calorie, a point...while trying to get all of your macros, mackerels, micros in a day's time.    Over-restriction is the Shock and Awe approach and sets up another vicious cycle of binge eating.

Thrill eating and then serious calorie deficit is a brutal way to take care of business.   

Think long term success.  Try gentle change.   It is the gentle permanent change for the WIN.

Gentle permanent change for the WIN.

If this is your first WD30,  you may or may not release weight into the ethers.    We don't want it to return with "friends".

A "dieter" on a "diet" may be able  lose 10 lbs in a week's time.   9.5 of that will be lean muscle mass and the other .5 is fat.   If the self-inflicted starving diet comes to an end....more than likely there will be the rebound weight gain with "friends".

The rebound gain will not be the lean muscle mass they've just lost,   the rebound gain will be all fat.   So they've actually ended up in a far poorer state than when they began.    Keep that up over years and years and years,  the lean muscle mass is gone and so is the elasticity of the skin.   Once it's gone folks, it's gone.   Skin is the largest living breathing organ on our body.    Take care of it and treat it with love.

If you have the extra dough, you can always have it surgically removed.  

If we think long term success and gentle permanent change,  we won't have to worry about skin surgery.

One lb a week is gentle and it is the coupe de ville for preserving your skin's elasticity.    One lb a week and your body is able to match  .5  of  fat loss with .5   of  maintaining  our lean muscle mass.    Our body can accommodate that.  (Men come by it naturally...they have more muscle mass).

I'm speaking with a Samuel Jackson voice...."Ahhhhhhh,   h * * * noooooooo!"    "I want 10 lbs a week and 30 lbs a month".

Really?     Because I hope your skin, heart,  pancreas,  joints can keep up with that if there's an immediate rebound weight gain.    There does come a point when your body pushes back.   It ain't a gonna take that brutal treatment anymore.

Lets learn to love and be comfortable in our own skin.    

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5662 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

Losing 4.5 pounds in 30 days is a good pace if you have fat to lose. Men sometimes lose weight faster than women and people who carry a large volume of fat can lose fast for a while, but 4.5 pounds is still a good rate of change. For reference, I never lost more than 2 pounds in a month when I adopted Whole30-style eating. I went from 215 to 185 in 15 months, losing 2 pounds per month each month. 

You have a history of losing weight with extreme diets and then gaining a lot of it back. Take a break from the roller coaster and do this the healthy way. You have been doing things right lately. Don't stop.

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Mik -  did your mom at least hold on to the hot sauce for you or do you have to reorder? I miss Deb too!  :(

Tulip - your question about the chick peas has been weighing on my mind. I'm not a moderator, and they may weigh in and have another stance. I would guess it's probably "legal" to take out the chickpeas. But over time I started thinking that it would drive me crazy! Did I miss one? Also, I feel self conscious messing around with my food in front of other people.

So, my personal vote is, I would take my food. I was able to eat at my mom's on the whole 30. 1) She was a home ec teacher, so there's not much food wise that throws her off and 2) I don't feel bad to be honest with her about what I'm eating and not eating. She has been through 100 different diets with me over the years, along with my brother's on again - off again vegetarianism. Most importantly, I told her that after all the struggling over the years, that this was the food that made me feel the best. What mom can argue with that?

My son is having a couple of friends over and I was going to order in, but I just had the BETTER idea to send them out to dinner (it's walking distance) and they will think they are big shots because they are so independent.  :)

In honor of Deb, and heading into our first weekend on Whole 30, I thought I would post a few of my favorite Whole 30 recipes:

Pistachio Pesto Chicken   This is Rick's favorite recipe, even when we're not eating Whole 30.

Pork and Plantains   I'm not a fan of the plantains, but loved the pork!

Crockpot Ketchup  I've tried several ketchup recipes and this was the best

Share a couple of your favorites, too!

CC - I'm sure your son had a blast with his buddies.    

Yes, Tulip, you could take a slotted spoon and pick everything out but I think it would be over the top.   I used to "pretend" that I liked the oyster soup my husband made.   When he turned his back, I picked all of the oysters out and threw them anywhere.   It was tiring.   One day, I told him I can't hack oysters or ninja turtles on the half-shell.    :P 

chickpeas_mj09_310.jpg

CC, Nanny, Granny, Annie, Miki,  ChiggerCane, Laurie, Volchick, Tulip, Sadie, Dawn, Tonya, Samantha, Augie, Sissy, Noodlette, Jeslight, Nado, Brooklyn Babe, anyone....do you knit?    I do.    I like to knit coats for my dog.  She has a gillion of them.  Our favorite is her Bumble Bee coat.   Knitting keeps your mind and hands busy.

il_340x270.414541329_60pa.jpgWe are all wery, wery quiet.  Are you out hunting wascally wabbits?

Thanks everyone;  I figured it wouldn't be so bad if I had the stew and picked the chick peas out, but I didn't have it.  I picked the big chunk of meat out and had it with a simple salad I took with me.  I also made tilapia with mixed veggies for everyone (which I did not fee like eating).  I had some fruit but passed on the cake and dessert and tea which seems to be giving me issues.   My dinner was very low fat so I should probably go to sleep before I get hungry.......  Good night all!

Darling Meadow, Tessamae is everywhere...but not the T-hot sauce...

CC, LUCKILY only my Amazon orders went to my mom's house, the T was directly from the manufacturer...who will not answer my emails pleading for a status report on my hot sauce. 

I've got the whole office making cauli-rice as I brought it in to share. (we have a pretty health conscious crew). They also loved my coleslaw and spaghetti squash thai curry.

Tonight played "frozen UNO" with the kids. (felt like a good mother, yippee).

Tomorrow is the gym, farmer's market, car shopping, mani-pedi-eyebrows,...then a long soak in the jacuzzi.

Nighty Night Kids

Tulip  - you did well!

Meadow - love the BB coat.  I don't knit but that's great advice.  Sometimes the hands must be busy to avoid hand to mouth action.

Miki- happy to hear you do not have to deal with another day without hot sauce!

Archived