The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the Trout Meadow and the message. For me the mental release of "battling food" would be such a blessing for the second half of my life. I'm feeling the freedom, getting the tugs on my line and looking forward to reeling in the true beauty and meaning of the rainbow trout.

If we only knew what we know today...    Can you imagine if we had this knowledge all through the teens and 20's?   Think how much further ahead we would be.   Alas, sigh.   No going back.   No going back.

But for those out there in their teens and 20's....ahhhh, this will save you so much angst and struggle if you take it to heart now.    What would we gain by returning to Groundhog Day?   The "normal" people who have great genetics, metabolisms and a healthy relationship with food - who intuitively know when and what to eat....miracle.

Day 18 for me, thinking on a Whole 60 or Whole 90 would take place, much needed anyway

M1- BPC, 3 boiled eggs w/mayo, 1/2 grapefruit

M2- Going out for lunch with a friend to an italian restaurant! I think I would eat a salad and maybe a piece of chicken if I find something that looks ok, I will check the menu here in a minute

M3 - Ground turkey breast w/peppers, onion, garlic, spinach, green beans

Love your words Meadow Lily, I am so old school and WW mentality, maybe that is why I keep posting my meals, those old days, to be honest I miss the camaraderie of those meetings, sense of friendship and unity that I get on this group too though.

Have a good day everybody,

Dave you are hard head, your wife should lock you after your surgery, for your own good heehehe

I am so old school and WW mentality, maybe that is why I keep posting my meals, those old days, to be honest I miss the camaraderie of those meetings, sense of friendship and unity that I get on this group too though.

Have a good day everybody,

Dave you are hard head, your wife should lock you after your surgery, for your own good heehehe

Nanny, you should absolutely feel comfortable posting your food.   That's what this is for....support, encouragement and relief from pressures/stress.

For those who don't track food, what do you do?  I'm also of the WW old school - tracking my meals seems to be my mental cue to be aware of my diet.  My diet goes the way of my tracking, I stop tracking and before long I slide back into old habits.  I would so love to break away from this mindset and freely and confidently choose the right foods at the right moments.  Maybe it will come eventually.  This is by far my most successful Whole 30, after years of having to learn it's ok to have a snack that includes things I would eat at a meal, it's ok to eat vegetables for breakfast, it's ok to not have bread with every meal, foods are  not points.  And the biggest one - it's ok to eat fat.  I had so many "rules" to undo, I guess the tracking is another of those rules.

My mental clarity seems to be improving a little - my time was almost three minutes faster than it has been on my daily crossword with fewer hints.  Or maybe it was just an easier puzzle...

Things seem pretty easy at this point, just waiting for the tiger blood to kick in.  I'm eating 3 meals, no snacking the last few days, no cravings.  The multi-colored frosted birthday cake in the work kitchen does not look at all appealing.  I feel like I've lost weight and I'm dying to check, but will not be stepping on that scale until February 10.  I'm not having any skin breakouts, either.  I always attributed the breakouts to the release of toxins in my body, but maybe they were actually related to the dairy?  Feeling very "even" if that makes sense. 

• Administrators

For those who don't track food, what do you do?  I'm also of the WW old school - tracking my meals seems to be my mental cue to be aware of my diet.  My diet goes the way of my tracking, I stop tracking and before long I slide back into old habits.  I would so love to break away from this mindset and freely and confidently choose the right foods at the right moments.  

foods are  not points. 

You are more than welcome to write down teh foods that you eat from day to day, we have a whole logging section on the forum specifically for that.  It helps people in various ways to see what they've been eating and can help the moderators make suggestions if you request some feedback.  If it triggers "counting" style thoughts for you then I would probably avoid it, but otherwise go ahead.  You can log portions and foods, not calories, macros etc.

I love your "foods are not points" and the fact that you now realize this is HUGE!  :)

Tonya - it was hard for me at first not to track. But tracking always felt so restrictive for me. The thing I really love about Whole 30 is that all I have to remember at each meal is: protein, veg, fat. The addition of the fat has made a huge difference in the hunger. Maybe try it for a couple of days?  It's scary at first. 

But, like everyone said, if you like the accountability of writing it down, that's ok, too. Is that great? I'm OK, you're OK. :)

Miki - you're not really on an eating plan and certainly not on a diet.   I know several of us here do not post our food.  Another member that's been here for some time was a ww instructor.   The thought of posting her food reminds her too much of the old days where every bite, every calorie or point, and step was logged.  Then there were the ghastly weigh-ins.  That reminds me of a feed-lot where the cattle are put through the chute and the mavericks get a cattle prod.

So unless there's a problem, the WD30 veterans don't post daily food....in case you noticed.   That does not mean that others should not be using this thread for doing exactly that.    All is understood and appreciated.     Post On.   Post On.

This is a judgment free zone.   

There are others who like to reveal their  feelings, fears, hopes and general thoughts on just about everything.   That is also an invaluable tool for a head reset.   The head reset from a Whole 30 is golden.     The food reset is great, too.

I have been able to read over what I wrote just a day or two previously and see my own flaws.   Miki calls those Catch and Release.    She has accurately described what many fishermen do in my neck of the woods.   They come here for the Blue Ribbon Trout streams and they Catch and Release.   They catch the most beautiful Over the Rainbow Trout ...kiss them and release them back to freedom.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow Trout

rainbow5.jpg

Feel free to rant and rave...or edge your way down slowly from a tough spot.   We get it.     The odds are higher of getting where we want to go and staying there if we engage our heads during this process.    Just going through the motions or bemoaning food boredom won't get you there.    

A heaping spoonful of willingness to share your Whole 30 experiences  and an embracement of compliant whole foods will get you there.   A willingness to make up words like embracement is fun, too.

thank you meadow lily that was beautiful and very touching;  so sorry for your loss.

reading people's words of comfort to you made me realize to what extent I haven't come to terms with a great loss, that of my father when I was a little girl;  the 36 year anniversary of his death is coming up next week.  there is great void where that relationship or at least its memories should have been.  somehow it also made me think about how I don't have really close relationships with the rest of my family.  this sudden loss of someone I don't know made me feel really estranged.  

anyhow, this acquisition of  health and weight loss quest is as much emotional and psychological as it is physical.  I am stuck at this weight, it was a very difficult time when I was last at this weight and I haven't come to terms what was happening at the time....

as for this whole30, it's my first and I'm on day 22.  I do NOT feel good.  I have the opposite of tiger blood.  I feel foggy and tired and I get the 3 o clock blues.  I can't get  a grip on what I need to do; if I go to the fridge or another room, I forget what I went there for...... and I've just been feeling like I need real carbs the past couple of days.

Miki, so sorry for your loss;  just trying to catch up on everyone's posts;

Ducks, good luck with the surgery;

Jess; can you make some mayo for me too?  I totally botched mine up but will try again;

NannyD; way to go on the 5K!

Ok back to reading everyone's posts; I have to say I'm breaking out, it's either the nuts - which kind?  who knows? or coconuts? my skin does NOT look good and I think I'm fatter, er, more fat than the day I started.  I am eating 3 template meals;  I think i will check out that food logging section ladyshanny mentioned.  

Tulip - Great job for staying away from carb carbs.  That's MAJOR!

So was the loss of your father.  

Baetis-Fishing-Madison-River-MT-11.jpg

You don't want to go backwards and  maintaining your (I know the number) ** weight loss is another major achievement even if it doesn't feel like it right now.    You may be going through a difficult time with memories.  HANG TOUGH!

I wouldn't consider your maintenance of that weight loss a  good thing,  I'd consider it a GREAT, FANTASTIC, WONDROUS, TERRIFIC thing and everything a person could ask from themselves when it comes to taking care of themselves and listening to their body and using good sense.

My goodness, CONGRATULATIONS.   And you didn't cave into cravings on a HARD day no less. 

Remember, Tulip, that the scale is only one data point.   It isn't a true measure of everything.   So just file away the data point, it's always good to have data...but KEEP ON TRUCKIN'.

Thank you for your condolences.   It means alot to me. 

header-fishing-rivers-madison-river2.jpg

Dear Tulip,

I think whenever we stop using food as a drug and start using it as nourishment we peel feeling layers back. I hope you will reach out to a grief counselor. It is important to deal with losses, especially that of a parent at such a tender age. I'm not the queen of W30 but it would seem like you're detoxing. 30 days is not a magic number, but rather an average I suppose. I hope you continue your whole eating, getting plenty of good, clean water and if you have access a sauna. I know I could use a sauna about now.

I am feeling very bloated too. No nuts today, but dried fruit off template. It was a weird day. I at half my breakfast (salad with veggies & chick) then a chicken salad with avocado, olive oil and then dinne at 10:30pm. In between was the dried fruit.

I keep feeling like I'm doing better but the bloating and everything being tight is a little hard to work with.

Sleep well, tomorrow is another day!!!

Miki

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/carbcounts/a/Carbs-Fats-And-Calories-In-Nuts-And-Seeds.htm

link courtesy of Brewer5

Cashews have the 2nd highest amount of carbs....that's why many of us go for cashews over and above other nuts.   Chestnuts actually have the highest amount of carbs but who in the world has a problem with chestnuts roasting over an open fire.  Unless you know about Deflate Gate, well then,   I just can't say anymore.

lockout_article_photo_0.JPG

Wut!?!   Wut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQhshPHAcQ

Catching up on posts. Wishing much love to those of you who have lost someone recently.

Must say, I love these date posts! Made me giggle.

IDK why, but I am having a tough time waking up in the morning- been hitting snooze multiple times or just turning off my alarm and letting myself sleep in. Energy is perfectly fine during the day, so that's great. Just wondering if maybe I am needing more fat or protein during the day. I guess I shouldn't compare this experience to my other Whole30's but I don't recall sleeping so much :P 

Yesterday I made the best guacalmole of my life! I wanted to swim in it, to be honest.

Be well!

Catching up on posts. Wishing much love to those of you who have lost someone recently.

Must say, I love these date posts! Made me giggle.

IDK why, but I am having a tough time waking up in the morning- been hitting snooze multiple times or just turning off my alarm and letting myself sleep in. Energy is perfectly fine during the day, so that's great. Just wondering if maybe I am needing more fat or protein during the day. I guess I shouldn't compare this experience to my other Whole30's but I don't recall sleeping so much :P

Yesterday I made the best guacalmole of my life! I wanted to swim in it, to be honest.

Be well!

Most excellent.   Your adrenals are healing.   You need this sleep.

My first two weeks, I fell asleep on the couch around 6 pm and didn't wake up unti the next  morning.   I felt like I was knocked out for surgery  every evening.   I couldn't remember anything when my eyes opened.   It's one of the best parts of Whole 30...restorative sleep.

Your body needs it and it is so healing.

Have you ever eaten chestnuts? blak, cough, spit, gag....I didn't personally care for them.

Crazy morning, at the office early - will try to catch up with all you dirty birds tomorrow.

Hugs.

THE MICK

Yes.   Bear and I roasted some chestnuts at Christmas.   It was the biggest waste of a taste.   I spit those mushy,  YUCK,  I need a bucket ....chestnuts out.    When you want a Larabar, think of chestnuts in a garlic flavored Larabar.   That'll turn you around.

All -  restless night tossing and turning with a shoulder that feels like it is being held on by a few strands of muscle and tissue. Had a doctors appointment to day and he said....."yep......its getting worse!" Well, that was comforting....I would have never guessed that! Anyway, hope everyone is doing alright. We are almost half-way thru this already and it will continue to get easier but offer some challenges too. Don't back down from a challenge! As I tell my co-workers...."I'm handing out free ass-whoopins in the parking lot at noon....get on the list early and often!"

Need to  make more mayo and cherry BBQ sauce this weekend. Saturday is the last of the duck season and the weather is supposed to be bad.....or ducky! Brian and I will wear our rubber underwear because of the heavy rain and try to finish the season with a ....BANG! The rest of the weekend will be devoted to laying around and napping...................WRONG! I have two shower faucets to rebuild, pull the seats out of the '66 Comet and put insulation blankets under the carpet, rake some leaves, burn some brush, walk the dog(s), and clean...CLEAN....CLEAN! As a matter of fact, clean a vehicle this weekend, that will be your chore....and do a really good job! Make it look like new again! Then take a long walk......at least 30 minutes.

DO IT!

Dave

Archived