The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Oh Meadow, you have such a cute way with words.

Bone Broth this weekend.

cutting out fruit except for grapefruit...may have to cut out mayo...I could drink the stuff.

Hoping to get to the gym tomorrow. I seem to be doing this whole 30 in reverse or something. I think it will be better when the pace slows down. Someone brought in a whole tray of baked goods and it didn't intrigue me at all, but when someone made rye toast...that was tough.

Off to bed...before I overthink my life.

m

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone! Sounds like Bone broth (with or without feet) is the talk of the town. I'm starting to hear some good things from the group: better sleep, less aches, ....all good things!

Higs - take your time and ease into your running. Sometimes the mind feels like it is ready to do amazing things but the body can't take the abuse. Starting out too hard (if there is still too much weight on the joints) will doom you to failure quickly and set you back further. Take your time.....listen to what your body is saying......rest!

I too went to the dentist (yesterday) and my dental hygienist (who had drop dead gorgeous eyes......and I told her so) told me that my teeth were in great shape without a lot of plaque buildup! YEAH! I didn't care if she was pulling my teeth out with pliers, I could have stared into those eyes for days! I told her not to tell her husband.......or my wife.......and it would be our little secret. I think I will get cleanings weekly from now on. hahahaha

Have a great day ....be strong!

Dave

Very good points, Dave, and ones that I tell myself all the time - but can't always keep!

I finished the Couch to 5k program and my goal since then has been to run just 3 miles 3x a week for the next few weeks, then in March start a 10k training program when I have a little more base.  I've been walking and strength training on alternate days.  But, my Saturday runs have been longer than that so that might be where I was overdoing it.  Last weekend I ran close to 4 miles (but I felt so good!) and then spent a couple hours doing yard work which involved a lot of bending and stooping.  Poor piriformis - aka my ass hurt!  It's hard not to overdo it.

Yeah for lack o' plaque AND eyes to swim in!

dcducks - thanks.   This was for me.  

225843_517542581603860_227947510_n.jpg?o

take your time and ease into your running. Sometimes the mind feels like it is ready to do amazing things but the body can't take the abuse. Starting out too hard (if there is still too much weight on the joints) will doom you to failure quickly and set you back further. Take your time.....listen to what your body is saying......rest!

426310_366917873332999_950486041_n.jpg?o

Beast mode at the gym or running can overwhelm muscles and joints.  I'm not speaking for anyone else's physical condition...only my own.

12121_718908481467268_1868446821_n.jpg?o

If you have a significant amount of weight to release into the Universe like I did,  running and pounding the pavement before the joints can handle it can set you way back.  Our skeletons were not designed to handle running if you have more than 70 to release.    Knee and hip replacements are never the same as our original factory parts.   They usually last about 10 years before more surgery is needed.  This is not to be interpreted as "anti-exercise"...but anti-Beast Mode before the body is ready to handle the  Shock and Awe approach from couch to pavement.   My joints are still not ready for running and I am a Ridge Walker.  

209715_487602047931247_1325411521_o.jpg

I have to stay in my own lane.    I swim every other day, lift weights in the pool and hike on the alternate days that it's above freezing.  I suggest swimming for anyone just starting out with exercise.  Your body can do things in the pool that you can't do on a gym floor.   You can run in the pool without impact or getting mauled by a grizzly.  You do have to watch out for the dewds who insist on wearing those tighty whitie speedos.  I can outrun those animals.

534435_425685247456261_256797990_n.jpg?o

The water resistance still works the muscles  and tightens up any loose skin.....especially with arm and leg weights.  Present day - You get out of breath quickly while treading water, swimming and constantly moving but it still builds endurance without the pain.   A gentle approach can still get you where you want to go and be effective.      We have some serious athletes here that are already very fit but this is only for those who are easing back into an active lifestyle.

432016_595529623805155_684949363_n.jpg?o

I do want to encourage anyone who may be where I was  - do not wait to begin an exercise program.   Do not wait until you've released 50 or more into the Universe before you begin to start moving.   The flip-side of  Beast Mode is Couch Mode.

422856_477897492235036_1200473199_n.jpg?

You will be left with loose skin and no one wants that.    Once the skin elasticity is gone it doesn't come back.   The only way to avoid loose skin and batwing arms/legs is start lifting weights to build those muscles under the skin.   If you wait until you've lost 50, 75, 100 or 150...you're looking at skin surgery.   It does not have to happen if you'll begin to move from Day 1.    

1450192_681292138562236_1934454986_n.jpg

Day 1,  I could only walk back and forth on a dirt road.    Now I can swim for a couple hours, and hike 3.5 miles up a steep ridge and back down again...(7 mi total).

1476070_925680860790028_3073236345867990

I wanted to start running and I tried on a dirt road,  it's still not meant for me at this particular time.   I'll just stick with what I can do.   Thanks for reinforcing what my knees were telling me.

10868082_932291770128937_316095590649543

Hangin' in; stayed on track during a birthday party and eating out last Saturday.  Spent good money on rooibos and honeybush teas only to find out it's not to my liking, but a squeeze of lemon or orange slice makes it drinkable. 

Had an envie yesterday for a wintertime favorite - pork chop fricassee w/ homegrown turnips.  Couldn't use standard wheat roux, and the local stores didn't have arrowroot or plain tapioca, so I tried sifted almond flour:

post-60324-0-69527700-1422476663_thumb.j

Didn't have the classic roux flavor of course, but smelled wonderful while it was browning and was good nonetheless! Will try another with arrowroot next week.

Still struggling with the cravings. Nuts and dates help but I have to watch that they don't turn into food with no brakes.  I tell myself to eat carrots, but they just don't provide much satiety.

Happy that my eczema is almost gone.  No loose clothes, but I'm having more restful sleep, for which I'm very grateful.

Glad to see most folks doing well and surviving the cold.  GrannieD, sorry to read about your Cooper. My heart goes out to y'all.

Later,

-a

Bone broth sounds exotic and dangerous and creepy - the word "bone" throws me.  But you guys seem to like it, and it does seem to do good things...this may be my next venture. 

First giving up cheese, then making my own mayo, now contemplating making bone broth - what else are you guys going to have me doing before this 30 days is up?

I am loving the mayo - Tulip, mine separates in the fridge just a bit, but I've stirred it up and it's been good.  I've done two containers of it already.  I mixed a little hot sauce in it last night and put it over my broccoli.  This morning, I had it on my eggs.  Good stuff. 

Ok this is day 15 for me. Overall it's been going well, although I feel so tired and down today. I think it's related to a let down this morning on an ongoing issue, dragging it out even further. Other than that, I've been feeling good - pants are looser,  sleeping like a rock until I wake up (asleep at 10:30 but awake at 4 or 4:30 - solid sleep but awake earlier than I'd like!). I've been actually cooking more often instead of eating out. I've tried lots of new things and hope to continue eating this way at least 80% of the time. Not going to lie, I miss wine and certain baked goods. The grocery store is probably the worst - seeing all the things I can't eat (although also disturbing how much processed crap there is). Yesterday's lunch may not have been compliant although I made my best effort. Chinese/Thai restaurant - I looked at the menu ahead of time. Got a vegetable stir fry and added chicken but due to a language barrier may have ended up with some soy sauce. Definitely didn't eat the rice that came on the side. No more Chinese restaurants til this is done! Although, not a usual stop for me anyways.

Tulip - I just learned how to make mayo with my immersion blender and was successful. Dump ingredients into blender cup, including the oil. Put blender in the cup, all the way to the bottom. Turn blender on and hold there for a minute (the ingredients should start to mix together and turn white). Then slowly bring it to the top (it will all blend together and be thick). You can then move the blender around more freely to incorporate any oil left on the sides.

I've been reading through all the posts despite not posting often myself. It helps me get through the days! More tomorrow maybe...Thanks everyone!!

It’s been a crazy few days here. Like when Miki’s boss comes to visit. Only I’m married to my boss J  Rick is feeling neglected, so he demands that I go to Spain with him in May. I could have found a worse, punishment, no?  Because of our busy work days I was exhausted today and decided not to go home to NJ. I just couldn’t stand the thought of the 8 hour drive. So, I worked from home and took a nap. Just what the doctor ordered. I made some crock pot carnitas and Rick should be home soon and will be fed.

I hate missing so much when I’m away for a day or two. Glad everyone is doing well!

Laurie – I’m glad to hear that Steve continues to improve. This go around I’m sharing some of your challenges around nuts and fruit. It seemed so much easier the first time around for me!

Tonya – I agree that getting rid of the cravings is one of the best things about Whole 30!

Miki – I love that you surprised your boss with the Whole 30 meal!  You seem to be in such a serene groove these days. I want to come hang out with you in the hot tub!

Higs – I am backing off a bit on the exercise and doing this program Unbreakable Body. It’s a lot of stretching/mobility and strengthening – but small movements focused on the weakest areas of your body. I’m not flipping monster truck tires like Dave does to work out!  I’m hoping this gets me in great shape for a couple of sprint triathlons this summer!  There’s a great little exercise (or move? I don’t know what to call it) where you take a lacrosse ball and sit/lay on the sore spot and roll around on it. Hurts like the devil, but you’re so happy when it’s over!

Tulip – it sounds like you are trying some great new things! I tried to get plantains today and THEY thought I was crazy about that. No ma’am, we don’t carry that. When I’m in VA I’m in the middle of nowhere!  Why are you messing around with the mayo if you don’t eat it, lol?

Angie – great job navigating the birthday party! I think a big a-ha for me when I started Whole 30 was that I could make it through the celebrations without partaking in the treats, and my life would go on J

Meadow – bone broth seems like an excellent business to be in. Look at what they are charging! Crazy! We could all go in to business and make a fortune together!

Committed – thanks for sharing your successes!

Hi all! I'm on day 24 here and going strong. I can definitely say that I have not been nearly as adventurous with my food this go round as in my others. But hey, I'm keeping it simple and staying on track. I've been thinking about what one of you guys said about your word for the year. I can't remember who it was (sorry). I think my word for this year will be simplify. Keep things as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Thanks for the idea!

Meadow, where do you find these photos? They always make me smile!

Higs, don't overdo it. It's nice to see that you have a fighting spirit though and are not happy to be a couch potato. Definitely something I have been the last couple of years!

Dave, don't hurt yourself with all that studying!

Tulip, I agree with CC. If you don't really eat mayo don't bother with it.

CC, you poor thing you! Being made to go to Spain like that! How horrible for you! So jealous!

Bone broth is on my menu for the weekend! I made it once before and really liked it so I will jump on the bandwagon. Why not?

• Administrators

Tulip - I just learned how to make mayo with my immersion blender and was successful. Dump ingredients into blender cup, including the oil. Put blender in the cup, all the way to the bottom. Turn blender on and hold there for a minute (the ingredients should start to mix together and turn white). Then slowly bring it to the top (it will all blend together and be thick). You can then move the blender around more freely to incorporate any oil left on the sides.

And by "hold it there for a minute" you mean 10 seconds, right?  Mine is usually from ingredients in a cup to beautiful fluffy mayo in less than 30 seconds!

CC, your exercise is a type of myofascial massage like foam rolling.  I have a rubber ball I use for my piriformis.  Hurts so good.  I am sometimes so astonished about how much fitness philosophy has changed since my athlete days many many years ago.  Foam roller what?  Never heard of such a thing back then!

Thanks for all the tips about not overdoing it, gang.  Yes, I do have that tendency.  "Easy does it" needs to be my (three) words of the year.

My old friends potato chips and chocolate have been calling me;  must be that time of the month;  sorry for TMI....  I want to make CREAM it's that fluffy consistency I'm after;  I used my mayo fail #2 as dressing; oh it was such good dressing even though it was runny;  I eat lots of raw veggies so they need something other than lemon!  I've been having lemon for over a year now.  And I keep trying to make great dressing.......  anyway, I'm having tuna and pickles potato chips would be good but I'll have lettuce instead.  Dehydrated onions for crunch.  ok I'm good.  Sorry for the babbling.......

Hi all! I'm on day 24 here and going strong. I can definitely say that I have not been nearly as adventurous with my food this go round as in my others. But hey, I'm keeping it simple and staying on track. I've been thinking about what one of you guys said about your word for the year. I can't remember who it was (sorry). I think my word for this year will be simplify. Keep things as simple and uncomplicated as possible. Thanks for the idea!

Meadow, where do you find these photos? They always make me smile!

Higs, don't overdo it. It's nice to see that you have a fighting spirit though and are not happy to be a couch potato. Definitely something I have been the last couple of years!

Dave, don't hurt yourself with all that studying!

Tulip, I agree with CC. If you don't really eat mayo don't bother with it.

CC, you poor thing you! Being made to go to Spain like that! How horrible for you! So jealous!

Bone broth is on my menu for the weekend! I made it once before and really liked it so I will jump on the bandwagon. Why not?

We have a huge pot of GF Bone Broth brewing right now on the stove.  I don't know how long others simmer theirs but with this batch we're going for over 24 hours.  BB soup lines in NYC kind of remind me of the soup lines our elders talk about in the days of the Great Depression.   Soup on the street kept people alive back then, too.

depressiontopper.jpg  

soup-kitchen-1931-granger.jpg

In the winter months with snow always on the ground, it's easy for us on Cold Mountain to stay indoors and listen to the wind howl through the canyons for months on end.

fdmpwudjprsobig.jpg

Lil Soph stands at the door and dreads running outside.   The wind blowing steady at 50 mph  almost picks her up off the ground.   She slinks low to the ground with her ears down.  We all go into an indoor hibernation mode.

Cold-Mountain-Wallpaper-cold-mountain-13

I wish Lil Soph could go swimming with me at the pool but she would be running around barking and nipping at the heels of the dewds who still wear...for crying outloud...those dreadful speedos.  I would love to see her floating around on a tube in Couch Mode.

float-dogs.jpg

Archived