Kombucha

Have you considered making your own?

No I haven't, mostly because the word "fermentation" to me equals "difficult" or "complicated"... What I've seen on the process, seems intimidating and time consuming. Having a 3yo toddler and a 2 month old is enough to steer me away from things that seem time consuming. If you're familiar with the process and I'm wrong about it being difficult and/or time consuming, I'd love to get your input. :)

I usually drink a half a bottle at a time. I'm not sure what the benefits are (I can't separate my improving psoriasis from drinking bone broth, taking FCLO, not eating grains, dairy, eggs, nuts, nightshades, etc). But the cost is definitely limiting and really the sole reason I'm going to making it myself.

No I haven't, mostly because the word "fermentation" to me equals "difficult" or "complicated"... What I've seen on the process, seems intimidating and time consuming. Having a 3yo toddler and a 2 month old is enough to steer me away from things that seem time consuming. If you're familiar with the process and I'm wrong about it being difficult and/or time consuming, I'd love to get your input.

Bethany the cost savings are huge. According to Kombuchakamp (my favorite Kombucha website) it costs about 8¢ a bottle to make your own. It's a very simple hands off process. Like anything new, the mental part of it and accepting the process works is the most difficult part. Huh..similar to W30. :0)

Kombucha is easy to make and doesn't require a lot of time or babysitting:

1. Boil water. Add to 1 cup sugar & ~10 teabags. Cool to room temp. (I usually leave it all day or night.)
  2. Pour tea into brewing vessel with SCOBY. Fill any remaining space in vessel with cool water.
  3. Wait ~2 weeks. (Taste when you're impatient. Sigh. Wait longer.)
  4. Transfer kombucha to storage vessel. Let sit a day or two longer for more bubbles, or put in fridge to slow down fermentation.

​Every once in a while you need to separate the SCOBY layers, but that's as simple as peeling off the top layers. (Then you can use those layers to start a second pot!) I have found it to be a pretty simple process.

Kombucha is easy to make and doesn't require a lot of time or babysitting:

1. Boil water. Add to 1 cup sugar & ~10 teabags. Cool to room temp. (I usually leave it all day or night.)
  2. Pour tea into brewing vessel with SCOBY. Fill any remaining space in vessel with cool water.
  3. Wait ~2 weeks. (Taste when you're impatient. Sigh. Wait longer.)
  4. Transfer kombucha to storage vessel. Let sit a day or two longer for more bubbles, or put in fridge to slow down fermentation.

​Every once in a while you need to separate the SCOBY layers, but that's as simple as peeling off the top layers. (Then you can use those layers to start a second pot!) I have found it to be a pretty simple process.

HMmm, this sounds hard to this visual learner, what tea bags? What is Scoby?

Feel free to check the thread for all kombucha newbies/pros in the recipe sharing section. There are plenty PLENTY blog posts with step by step pictures if you google. Kombucha kamp is a great resourse, their FAQ section is awesome.

Yes because the Scoby eats the sugar before you could get to it ;) Seriously when I first started making it I was paranoid about the sugar and bought a hydrometer to test it and PH strips. Now i just let it brew until it's definitely not sweet and that does me.

• 1 year later...

I had only been purchasing the bottles once a week and then someone bought me the Yogi's Kombucha hot tea bags. I drank one last night and it's pretty tasty, but I am not sure that it has the same benefits. I don't understand how the cultures can live in a tea bag. Does anybody have any insight? The tea bags are certainly cheaper than the bottles of GTS Synergy I've been buying, so if they have any benefit, I'd certainly keep buying them.

Yogi's Kombucha hot tea bags. 

Sorry, but there is no way these tea bags could contain the probiotic benefit of Kombucha live cultures, and it if could, they would be killed as soon as you put the tea bag in hot water. If you like the taste, I'm sure it is fine as an herbal tea, but it is not a substitute for Kombucha.

• 3 weeks later...

The evidence for the health benefits of Kombucha are not there, and its potential risks are very high, especially, of improperly made kombucha. A resource of unbiased information that I trust has this to say about Kombucha:

http://examine.com/blog/an-update-on-kombucha-understanding-risk-and-evaluating-toxicity/

Sorry, but I totally disagree with this. Kombucha is as safe as kimchi or sauerkraut, and has similar benefits. This article doesn't contain any proof and only discusses some issues with "unsanitary" kombucha. "Unsanitary" food of any type can cause issues. Luckily, it is pretty easy to see if your kombucha is unsanitary (see blue mold on the scoby, etc. blech).

The evidence for the health benefits of Kombucha are not there, and its potential risks are very high, especially, of improperly made kombucha. A resource of unbiased information that I trust has this to say about Kombucha:

http://examine.com/blog/an-update-on-kombucha-understanding-risk-and-evaluating-toxicity/

I read your article.  Thank you.   I won't be making any.

Do you add any fruit juice to yours? If so, which kind and how much?

Where do you buy the glass bottles for storage?

I don't add juice, if I want to flavour a batch at home I add actual fruit (i.e. a second ferment with raspberries instead of raspberry juice) or I also like to add in actual ginger. I managed to find flip top storage bottles in a major supermarket here in Australia (and I live in a small regional city). If you can't find any locally I'm sure Amazon would be helpful.

• Moderators

Do you add any fruit juice to yours? If so, which kind and how much?

Where do you buy the glass bottles for storage?

I reuse the bottles I bought kombucha in. You can buy replacement lids that fit the GT's Synergy bottles from Kombucha Kamp -- I seem to have saved more bottles than lids, so that was helpful.

I sometimes use juice in my second ferment, or sometimes fresh or frozen fruit. It all works. If I use juice, in the 16 oz bottles, I put about an inch or inch and a half of juice, then top it with kombucha. I'd guess maybe a quarter cup? I just eyeball it, so I'm not really sure.

No I haven't, mostly because the word "fermentation" to me equals "difficult" or "complicated"... What I've seen on the process, seems intimidating and time consuming. Having a 3yo toddler and a 2 month old is enough to steer me away from things that seem time consuming. If you're familiar with the process and I'm wrong about it being difficult and/or time consuming, I'd love to get your input. :)

I have 9 month old and a three year old with autism and I ferment my own kombucha (and have been since the baby was about 3 months old). It really doesn't take that much time at all. I find it is a nice little break in the evening from mommy duties while my husband takes over for a little bit.

Archived