Physibeth's Post-W30 Log

Physibeth

So last week when I ate squash noodles, sausage, and pasta sauce for M3 on Friday I had mild heartburn/acid reflux afterwards. I assumed tomatoes were the culprit and assumed I would again experience after I ate my chili for M2 on Saturday...but I didn't. Last night I had that squash noodles and pasta sauce again for M3 and again today had the chili for M2. Last night no heartburn/acid reflux. This afternoon heartburn/acid reflux.

What gives tomatoes! Why you gotta mess with me!

:wacko:  :angry:  :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning (well noon...so afternoon when I hit post I guess anyway).

Sitting here waiting on my produce delivery. Last week when I stayed home it was here at 10:30. This week when I'm going to work still not here at noon.  :rolleyes:

Yesterday ended up well. Got another work problem solved. Ate pretty well. Got my kitchen mostly cleaned up and got my pickles made. Most of the cucumbers were still just fine. A few had mushy spots but I scraped them off. Hope I did it all right. I have a lot of dill left so contemplating buying more cucumbers and making more...already have 4 quart sized jars though. Wouldn't have taken me as long if I had realized I only had 1 clean quart sized mason jar before I started. Ended up going to the store for more...got that last one on the shelf. Stayed up a bit late to watch So You Think You Can Dance. Turned off my alarm. Slept soundly from about 11:30 until 4ish and then went right back to sleep and slept until 7. 

Food yesterday:

M1: Sausage Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust, bacon, raw fermented carrots, black coffee

Exercise: 1 hour body pump class, 2 mile easy run

Kombucha

M2: Beef chuck chili with raw cheddar

8 oz cold brew coffee

M3: crab cake with raw cheddar (cheese made it taste much better  :D), mayo, green beans, potatoes 

3 real deal chocolate chip cookies

After pickle making (9ish) I was hungry again so had another cookie  :ph34r: and a grass fed hot dog with mayo wrapped in a sweet potato wrap.

Produce is here! Time to go!

Sorry about the hearburn/reflux confusion.  That is weird that it switched meal times and foods.  Very annoying.

Get anything fun in  your box this week?  We've been getting a good variety of typical veggies.  I'm hoping for beets and kolrabi this week, but will probably get more cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, etc.  I do enjoy the variety.

Sorry about the hearburn/reflux confusion.  That is weird that it switched meal times and foods.  Very annoying.

Get anything fun in  your box this week?  We've been getting a good variety of typical veggies.  I'm hoping for beets and kolrabi this week, but will probably get more cucumbers, zucchini, tomatoes, green beans, broccoli, cabbage, etc.  I do enjoy the variety.

It must have to do with a combination of food and other things...not sure what though. I did drink a bottle of booch right before M2 because I was hungry at 10:30 and didn't want to eat that early (need a post workout mini meal on Tuesdays). I'm wondering if it has to do with drinking right before I eat the food. Both times I did have heartburn I had been drinking liquid pre meal, both times I didn't I had not. Will have to experiment more with that.

I got 2 giant leeks in my box this week. No idea what to do with those. Any suggestions? I also got a LOT of zucchini. ZOODLES! I was supposed to get 2 lbs of summer squash, but it is zucchini. And then I got more zucchini subbed for the tomatoes that were supposed to be in my box (I have tomatoes and bell peppers on the do not send list so I pay $1 for a sub when they are in my box). I got russet potatoes this week so I think I'm going to add baked potato to some of my meals this next couple of weeks. Another head of cabbage (I have three now) so I really must make an attempt at sauerkraut soon or find another way to eat it. Nothing else strange...lettuce, small cucumber, small bunch of brocollini. I have both regular and golden beets from weeks past. I made some of the beets up with fennel and orange for a side today. Found and pinned a beet chip recipe that I want to attempt with the golden ones. 

Yep, just sautee them and eat them.  Maybe on a burger or steak would be good.  Or make potato leek soup or casserole of some kind.  Yum!  And it sounds like you'll have lots and lots of zoodles!  I'm weird and really like zucchini with almond butter for breakfast, too.  I'm thinking of making Well Fed's Pad Thai next week and hope to get enough zucchini to use zoodles instead of spag squash. 

Potato leek soup sounds good...I wonder if I have enough potatoes for that. Sauteed on burger or steak also sounds good.My grillmaster (hubby) is in Germany until next Tuesday and I purposefully don't know how to use the grill.

I had the pad thai with zoodles the first time I made it and loved it. Honestly I don't think I would like it as much with spag squash. I have one of those too because my store had them and I have vowed to always buy one if they have one after not being able to find them regularly since about June. I also have an acorn squash and 2 delicatta squash. I need to cook my produce!

I got 2 giant leeks in my box this week. No idea what to do with those. Any suggestions?

Oooo...leeks...lurve them.  How about the classic French dish: braised leeks?  I usually just wing it, but Deb at Smitten kitchen has a recipe (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/devils-chicken-thighs-braised-leeks)...modify as needed for non-paleo/W30 ingredients.

Or one of my favourite recipes from The Joy of Cooking: butternut squash, leek and ginger soup (simple, but sooo good).  Substitute ghee for the butter and omit the milk (it's not in the original recipe and completely unnecessary): http://madarecipes.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/butternut-squash-leek-and-ginger-soup/

Thanks for the recipes Jubileejones! The soup looks really good and I have all the ingredients. I only have 2 leeks but they are really large. Might have to add that to my cookup this week.

Had a pretty good day yesterday. 

M1 (Part 1): 2 fried eggs, 2 strips bacon, black coffee

Exercise: 6.16 mile Speedwork Run - hit all my targets on the sprints, slower than normal cool down.

M1 (Part 2): 3 Bacon, Lemon, and Green Egg Muffins (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go), medium sweet potato cubed and sauteed in coconut oil, banana

M2: Citrus-Cumin Chicken (Against All Grain) 2 legs and a thigh, baked beets w/ fennel

Kombucha

M3: Shepherd's Pie (Well Fed)

Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss Bar

When I got home from community group at like 10:30 I was feeling hungry so I ate a Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookie (Against All Grains) and a grass fed hot dog wrapped in a sweet potato crepe (Paleo Lunches and Breakfasts on the Go) with Mayo. I regret eating that last mini meal because my tummy was kind of mad all night. Despite that tummy furry I fell asleep quickly (first on my kindle with my glasses on...put a fabulous kink in my neck) and then properly, slept soundly until a little after 5 am, woke again briefly at 7 am, and then slept again until 8 am. Total of 8 hours of sleep and some change. Really needed that! 

So many good recipes flying around - we are definitely going to need to branch out some more.  I was going to make sauerkraut and I ordered a head of cabbage and I told my husband he couldn't use it for any meals and then I procrastinated and procrastinated and the poor cabbage went bad (one has to procrastinate a long time for that to happen!).  I love sauerkraut, but the entire fermenting my own food thing kinda scares me and I haven't gotten over that fear yet.

Your post motivates me - maybe I'll get myself to the gym!

So many good recipes flying around - we are definitely going to need to branch out some more.  I was going to make sauerkraut and I ordered a head of cabbage and I told my husband he couldn't use it for any meals and then I procrastinated and procrastinated and the poor cabbage went bad (one has to procrastinate a long time for that to happen!).  I love sauerkraut, but the entire fermenting my own food thing kinda scares me and I haven't gotten over that fear yet.

Your post motivates me - maybe I'll get myself to the gym!

I get the fermenting fear. Finally doing those pickles has helped. Getting a book devoted to it has helped. And I'm happy to report that my pickles are getting nice and cloudy like they should. :)

Glad to be motivating! 

Haha fear not, people. I think it's the name - fermenting - sounds intimidating. Fermenting is a perfect hobby for procrastinators, drown food in brine and you are done. Really, just a little prep with jar and you are good.

Same with kombucha, Beth. Wink wink.

Lol Nadia! I know. Kombucha procrastination has been more about finding a place to let it sit and do its thing undisturbed. Now I'm wondering if I should just wait until after we move. 

Had a pretty good day yesterday.

M1 (part 1): 2 fried eggs, 2 strips bacon, coffee with nikki's midnight mocha coconut butter (mmm)

Exercise: 2 mile easy run

M1 (part 2): sausage quiche with sweet potato crust (against all grain), coffee with midnight mocha coconut butter

M2: crab cake with raw cheddar and mayo, baked beets with fennel (practical paleo)

8 oz cold brew coffee, kombucha

M3: Cinnamon Beef in Sweet Potato Crepes (Paleo Lunched and Breakfasts on the Go) with mayo and cucumber slices with mayo

Dark Chocolate Coconut Bliss Bar (these are gone now and I'm not planning on buying again...better to make my own...agave is weird on my tummy)

Exercise: Body Pump 84 - pushed myself a lot! Heart Rate Monitor said almost 400 calories which is very good for pump!

2 real deal chocolate chip cookies (against all grain) these are gone now too

plum eaten over my sink (for juice retrieval)

Stood in the parking lot and talked with my friend for way too long after pump last night...as usual. Got home pretty late. Fell asleep on the book pretty quickly. Didn't sleep as soundly as I have been. Woke up once around 2 am. Was awake for a while when my alarm went off around 6 am. Finally went back to sleep and got up a little after 8 am. 8.5 hours of sleep total but not super restful. Woke up with my sinuses all angry this morning. Hoping not food related. 

Just read through a lot of your log, physibeth :) sounds like you're doing well post whole 30!

I love leek! Favourite use is probably steamed with cauliflower then whizzed to make cauli/leek purée. The sweetness from the leek is delicious!

Also love it with salmon, or added to omelettes :)

So my sinuses got the better of me yesterday and I just stayed home and read in bed all day. I threw my butternut squash in the crock pot to make that soup but then never made it. Squash is in the fridge. Perhaps I'll make it today. Might be nice after my run. Especially as it is raining. 12 miles in the rain. Oh boy.  :rolleyes:

I should have made myself clean the kitchen up yesterday because I think that would have made my food a little less all over the place. I didn't eat enough veggies and probably not enough in general. I have sampled all but one of the five flavors of coconut butter I bought now.  :ph34r: Luckily they don't draw me in to dip spoon after spoon...a little bit is quite satisfying.

Eats yesterday:

M1: 4 eggs, kale, bacon, coffee with flavored coconut butter

M2: 2 grass fed hot dogs wrapped in sweet potato crepes with mayo (I need to make more of those crepes...yum)

sometime in the afternoon I came downstairs and had a small spoon of coconut butter and a piece of raw cheddar

M3: 3 fried eggs, a couple of dates - not really a meal 

had a banana before bed

Started falling asleep on my book (finished City of Bone and started City of Ash) around 11. Slept pretty soundly through until 5:30 when my beefy cat started digging for buried treasure. Got up and put her on the bed and used the facilities and eventually fell back asleep until around 7:30 when my alarm went off. Another 8.5 hour night. 

I have completely over scheduled myself today so I'm giving some thoughts to making some possible changes. 12 mile run is non-negotiable. All my cold symptoms are in my head so I'm hoping the run will help not hurt. Going to my friends house to get my hair color re-done. Combination of a different dye (we do pink and purple highlights) and my dirty poo means it is almost completely gone. Going to re-try with the dyes we have used before. I've been instructed to pay very close attention and if it looks any different after the 1st or 2nd wash I need to try a different shampoo. I'm supposed to go to an anniversary party for friends I've not seen in a while after that but right now looking at the RSVP list they would be the only ones there I know so I might bail on that. Another friend is supposed to come over tonight and help me with packing. My house is such a wreck at the moment though so I'm waffling on that. Part of me wants to cancel on her, but part of me could use someone over here cracking the whip. Maybe if I bow out of the anniversary party I can get enough done at home to feel ok about having the packing helper. I missed my grocery shopping day yesterday too so I will have to do that on my way home from church tomorrow night (I only have 1 egg left!  :o )

Morning all! Yesterday ended up turning out quite well. Got the run done with very little rain which was nice. Hair color take 2 was a success (will try to get a photo today). Skipped the party and made a needed run to Target where I ran into a friend I usually see weekly but had not seen in a few weeks. Got home and had a yummy dinner, got the cat boxes changed, and got the kitchen cleaned up and started in on packing/organizing/sorting. My packing helper showed up around 7:45 and helped pack/kept me motivated and moving/took a lot of stuff off my hands until almost 11. Yay! Still so much to do but much progress was made. Sadly didn't have a great night of sleep. It got chilly last night and combined with moving a lot for several hours I got extremely chilled. I finally had to get up and turn off the overhead fan, close all the windows, and take a long hot shower to feel warm enough to go to sleep.Ended up with about 6.5 hours all together but kept waking up and not a lot of deep sleep.

Food for the day:

M1: 3 fried eggs, 2 strips bacon, coffee blended with flavored coconut butter

Exercise: 12 mile run

M2: 2 slices sausage quiche with sweet potato crust (Against All Grain), banana

M3: Citrus-cumin chicken (Against All Grain) (2 legs, 1 thigh), 2 red potatoes peeled, cubed, and pan fried in grass fed butter with garlic salt, steamed brocollini

spoonful of chocolate hazelnut brownie coconut butter before bed

I do like "get it done mode" and am hoping I can get into it more frequently over the next few weeks...will make the move much easier if I can do a little every day and not have to pull an all nighter the night before the movers come. (like last time we moved)

The chicken recipe is good. I want to try it again when my grillmaster is home because I don't think it translated well on the stove top grill pan. I also might marinade it in a zip top bag instead of a baking dish like the recipe says next time I do it.

Got my grocery shopping done post church and currently am working through this week's cook all the things list while eating dinner. Luckily first on the list is marinara sauce which just has to simmer. :) A little made at myself for not getting to the store Thursday or Friday because not only did they not have my soy free pastured eggs but they didn't have my back up pastured eggs either. Then I had a long debate about whether to get the omega ones or the plain organic cage free ones for cheaper. I got the omega ones in the end but still not sure if that was the best decision.

I also bought a gray kombocha squash. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but I have decided that I need to buy new squash whenever I see it. :)

Ugh...cold cold go away!!! I think I'm getting to end of it because on Friday my head felt all stuffed and today I'm sneezing and my nose is running. Gosh I hope it is almost over.

Last night after dinner I got the following recipes from Against All Grain made: marinara sauce, basic crepes, and sausage spinach lasagna. I wish I hadn't cut all the crepes into strips because I didn't end up using them all for the lasagna. I used whole fat organic ricotta cheese instead of the nut cheese that the recipe calls for. I also made Meat Muffins from Well Fed using pre-seasoned ground lamb and some orange cremesicles with coconut milk, honey, and orange juice (I bought the OJ for a recipe and it needed to be used up...froze what was left after making the ice pops).

Didn't get to sleep until after 1. Combination of good book and just being a bit wired I think. I did avoid that 3pm coffee yesterday but didn't seem to help. Slept until 8:30 waking a few times through the night/morning so at least I got 7 hours of sleep.

Eats yesterday:

M1: Sausage Quiche with Sweet Potato Crust (Against All Grain), coffee with coconut butter

Larabar (I was getting hungry already by the time I was leaving for church)

M2: Lunch at Cactus again. Had beef carnitas tacos with beans and rice. Let myself nibble on the tortilla chips only after I finished my lunch. The sour creme they serve there is SOOOO good I could have eaten it with a spoon. Also had more glasses of mango iced tea (no sweetener) than I can count as they just kept refilling my glass.

Bag of dried mangos I ate in the car on the way home from the grocery store.  :ph34r:

M3: Orange Sesame Chicken with Cauliflower Rice (Against All Grain)

Had a glug of orange juice before I dumped the very last of it out. Had a spoonful of coconut butter before bed.

I'm sorry you have a cold and haven't been getting the best sleep.  I didn't sleep much last night, either.  It makes the morning hard!  You have been so productive!  I love when I can check things off my to do list!

Thanks Jen!

Yesterday was a fine day but not super productive. Got into work late, made some progress on my work projects, had a volunteers sync at the church, came home and watched Breaking Pointe and went to bed. Read for about 30 minutes and then zonked out. Found that if I lay on my right side my sinuses let me sleep. Felt like I kept waking up but actually slept more solidly then I thought looking at my Zeo data. Just shy of 7 hours. Probably should skip Body Pump this morning but I really don't want to so I'm going to be "that person" and hope my nose doesn't give me away.  :ph34r: Picking my husband up from the airport today around noon. Will be nice to have him home!  :wub: Going to stay home and try to be productive and/or rest for the remainder of the day rather than spend another hour of my day in the car commuting to and from work.

Food/Movement Yesterday:

M1 (Part 1): 2 fried eggs

Exercise: 3 mile easy pace run

M1 (Part 2): 2 fried eggs, 1/2 acorn squash with coconut butter and raisins

M2: 2 Lamb meat and spinach muffins (well fed), mashed cauliflower (the muffins were good but I want to have mayo with them next time)

Snack: kombucha, 1 meat and spinach muffin (I brought 3 and just couldn't finish it with lunch), handful of cashews

M3: Spinach Sausage Lasagna (Against All Grain), nectarine (the lasagna is OMG good!)

Snack: had one of my orange cremesicles, a small piece of cheese, and a small scoop of coconut butter when I got home from my church meeting. 

Sounds nice to stay home and to catch up a bit.  Before Whole30, I didn't ever really prioritize sleeping and downtime - I just jammed it all in and rose to the occasion and my health totally suffered for it.  Hope your sinuses clear up - doesn't sound fun at all.

Sleep is such a major thing! Up until about a year ago I was existing on 4-6 hours a night. Holy Cow! Now that I average more regularly on the 6-8 scale I just can't function on less. I think that was another cause of my rapid weight gain after getting married - not getting enough sleep because we had a terrible bed and because it took me a long time to get used to sharing that terrible bed. 

So yesterday ended up being completely non-productive. I did make it to Body Pump (missed most of the warm up) and did my 2 mile easy run on the dreadmill. Stopped at the store to buy my husband's Mountain Dew  :rolleyes:, got to work and heated up my mini meal, checked husband's flight status to find he was getting in 20 minutes early, scarfed down the food, jumped in the car, took me forever to find a parking space, but was down there just in time to wait about 5 minutes for him. Drove us home, ordered him a pizza, made myself some food and played Magic Online for a while, went upstairs around 4pm and he was dead the world asleep. I spent the rest of the day reading (finished City of Ash, on to City of Glass) and watching So You Think You Can Dance. Husband slept until about 4 or 5 this morning and then got up. I didn't really wake up until around 6 am when it was pouring, went back to sleep and got up around 8:30. Overall got about 8.5 hours of sleep. Still feeling tired and sniffley today so skipping my tempo run and will try and get my kitchen cleaned up and a couple more food items prepped and some laundry done while I wait for my produce delivery (though if they come at 10:30 this week that will be soon). Food was somewhat all over the place yesterday. I get much more snacky when I'm feeling sick.

M1: 4 eggs, kale, bacon, black coffee

Mini Meal: 3 eggs muffins, bottle of kombucha

M2: 4 grass fed hot dogs with mayo and mustard, 2 small red potatoes pan fried with butter and garlic salt

Snacks: orange cremescicle, mostly straight orange juice pop, leftover crepe strips from the lasagna with coconut butter

M3: 2 slices of spinach sausage lasagna 

Could have been a worse day...could have been better. 

Archived