Plantains

EmilyK

So, I've discovered a deep love for plantains in the last few weeks.  What can I do with them besides tostones and mofongo?  They are an awesome addition to the starchy veg side for me but I would love to shake it up some from the couple of ways I've tried.

How do you cook your plantains?

My favorite way is inspired by Well Fed 2: Get the ripe ones, pan-fry in ghee, and then I put salt and her sunrise spice mix on them. SO GOOD. Like, dangerously good, so I don't let myself buy them too often (I'm insulin resistant and don't need such a big hit of starch generally).

Double fried and smashed, fried in ghee until perfectly golden, baked, loaded plantains, mashed with garlic, pureed and baked as a wrap, sliced and used for "lasagna" style casserole or mixed with ground chicken and baked for a perfect post WO patty. I am obsessed with them and love them so much. 

Chicken Fritters recipe  

Plantain breakfast casserole

I have this in the oven right now http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/16/paleo-plantain-beef-pie/

They are not readily available where I live in the UK but I managed to get hold of some last week. I made tostones with the green ones, ate the super ripe ones pan fried alongside my breakfast. And the rest are in the pie. I struggle with starches and often don't eat enough so these are a very welcome alternative!

I've used mofongo to make a "crust" for a quiche before. I do a vegetable based filling with green olives, mushrooms, and roasted red pepper and feed it to our vegetarian friends as a main course. Everyone loves the stuff. I debated whether or not this fell into the SWYPO category, but since it's not actually a pastry remake, I figure it falls in line with shepherd's pie. Just kind of upside down. :)

Outside of the Whole30, I've used plantains to make crackers and flatbread. Only ingredients are plantain (green), garlic or other seasoning, coconut or olive oil, and maybe some water if the consistency is off. I ate a lot of plantain crackers when I was doing my autoimmune protocol since there were a good hit of fat and easy way to supplement my lunches at work.

• 3 months later...

I saw a recipe for roti made with plantains I would love to try. http://www.californiapaleokitchens.com/recipe-paleo-and-vegan-roti/

My husband and I disagree whether this is "on plan" or not. I say technically no because it's a "bread" substitute, he says "Yes" because it's just a starch side served in an alternate form. Either way, I have not made them yet, but they look yummy. Having curry this weekend so I "may" try it. 

I saw a recipe for roti made with plantains I would love to try. http://www.californiapaleokitchens.com/recipe-paleo-and-vegan-roti/

My husband and I disagree whether this is "on plan" or not. I say technically no because it's a "bread" substitute, he says "Yes" because it's just a starch side served in an alternate form. Either way, I have not made them yet, but they look yummy. Having curry this weekend so I "may" try it. 

these are a no. Sorry. No bread or tortillas or pancakes. You can mash plantains into a circle shape, but adding flour and arrowroot and baking powder make this a bread-like thing, not just vegetables.

Instead of blending them up and turning them into roti (which would be non-compliant for a Whole30), have you thought about making tostones? Tostones are traditional in several carribean and South American cuisines and involve cooking the plantains, smashing them into discs, and then cooking a second time until crisp. They're often served with just a hit of salt or some lime and chili powder, but go nuts with any spices that strike your fancy.

• Moderators

I take a plantain (works for both ripe and green), slice on the diagonal and saute in lard (for green, halfway through sauteing, I smash them down in the pan with the bottom of a flat glass) and then when they're done, I douse them in fresh squeezed lime juice and salt and serve them (to myself) under soft yolked pan fried eggs.  Divine!

these are a no. Sorry. No bread or tortillas or pancakes. You can mash plantains into a circle shape, but adding flour and arrowroot and baking powder make this a bread-like thing, not just vegetables.

So I was right and my husband was wrong! Typical! Didn't make them in the end. I'll wait until we're done - day 28 today! Woo hoo! and may try them in the fall or some time when I feel like the bother. 

Instead of blending them up and turning them into roti (which would be non-compliant for a Whole30), have you thought about making tostones? Tostones are traditional in several carribean and South American cuisines and involve cooking the plantains, smashing them into discs, and then cooking a second time until crisp. They're often served with just a hit of salt or some lime and chili powder, but go nuts with any spices that strike your fancy.

Yes, I do make Tostones. But someone had already suggested that! So I didn't suggest again. Love them!

• 4 weeks later...

I love plantains, but I'm always confused about what portion can I eat.  Do you eat one whole plantain, half, quarter? I normally, cut one plantain in 4 to 6 pieces and make tostones.  I usually eat 3 or 4 is that too many?

I love plantains, but I'm always confused about what portion can I eat. Do you eat one whole plantain, half, quarter? I normally, cut one plantain in 4 to 6 pieces and make tostones. I usually eat 3 or 4 is that too many?

Plaintain is in the starchy carb category. For that type of food, the recommended serving is a fist-sized amount. 3 or 4 tostones would likely be ok.

• 3 weeks later...

I love dipping them in chimichurri sauce like this --> http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/pan-fried-plantains-and-basil-chimichurri/ 

sweet plantain guacamole http://paleomg.com/the-paleo-kitchen-sneak-peek-sweet-plantain-guacamole/#comment-174173

5-ingredient plantain fritters --> http://holdthegrain.com/aip-plantain-fritters-guest-post-by-beyond-the-bite/ 

Loving all these other ideas with plantains too! 

Recently I made plantain "hash brown" patties. I shredded the green Plaintains, rinsed and drained, (squeezed dry with my hands, it's sticky and a bit messy). Then, using a small portion scoop, I placed one scoop into a sautéed pan with about 2T coconut oil, (may also use avocado oil) and flattened it slightly into a patty. They're so starchy, even after rinsing, they hold together without any binders. Sautee until crispy, flipping once. I served them with pork sausage "gravy", which I made with fresh ground pork, spices and a little coconut milk. For the plate-up, I started with the Plaintain hash browns, topped them with sautéed super green mix, then the gravy. It was a delicious and hearty breakfast! And AIP friendly, since I'm doing the autoimmune protocol. (Day20!)

If you can eat eggs, a poached egg on top would be glorious.post-78001-0-99092100-1442663783_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I have this in the oven right now http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/16/paleo-plantain-beef-pie/

They are not readily available where I live in the UK but I managed to get hold of some last week. I made tostones with the green ones, ate the super ripe ones pan fried alongside my breakfast. And the rest are in the pie. I struggle with starches and often don't eat enough so these are a very welcome alternative!

I'm in the UK too, close to Birmingham- where did you find plantains? I can't get any anywhere!

I'm in the UK too, close to Birmingham- where did you find plantains? I can't get any anywhere!

Waitrose, Tesco & Morrisons all stock them apparently, but it will depend on the demographics of your area as to whether or not your local branch carries them.

Your best bet is probably a large fresh fruit/veg market - that said the guy that runs the farm shop I buy from has been trying to get me them from the main suppliers market in our area for months without success....  :(

An international supermarket is your best bet. My parents live in Leicester and get them easily from the international store there. None of the supermarkets or regular fruit and veg stalls stock them and they are nowhere to be found in rural south Yorkshire! I live in a diversity vacuum.

I like the Well Fed 2 recipe where you use the plantains as nachos. I don't make them into the chips the way she does. I just cook them in a little oil on my pan and then cover in the meat, veggies, avocado and jalapenos. So good, and a really fast dinner for those nights everyone gets home late!

Archived