The crazy things people say

Jessica

Not quite the same but it cracked me up today. I went to lunch with a coworker/good friend. I brought mine, she was picking up hers.

She said to me, "you know, your like a drinking buddy who's on the wagon now!" I couldn't help but laugh when I noticed she didn't order the cheeseburger and onion rings she usually gets!

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sh*t people say... There's just so much!!

"Fat-free [insert processed food here, my favorite is candy]! I can eat them without guilt!"

"But egg yolks will raise your cholesterol and give you a heart attack"

"There's no difference between normal meat and organic meat"

"I don't eat bacon... So much fat"

"I bought a fat-free, egg-free bread!"

"Avocados are so good! Too bad they have a lot of fat"

"You don't eat grains? How about whole wheat [No.] How about sweet potato crackers? [No.] How about oats? [No.]"

Co-worker who has borrowed my copy of ISWF, but hasn't read it: "I've given up on trying to lose weight. I would have to live off of lettuce."

Me: "No you wouldn't, have you read ANY of that book? I eat steak & eggs and good food."

Overweight/Sedentary Co-worker who lives off of donuts & cookies: "Yeah, but that's the Atkins diet. I did Atkins for YEARS..."

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S NOT ATKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went out to lunch with a friend today. We went to a Thai place we both like. I also know I can get compliant foods there with a few adjustments and they happily do it for me. Well, my friend ordered an eggplant dish that I knew I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I am positive it had sugar and who knows what else..probably lots of soy oil and soy sauce. She is fully aware that I am doing Whole 30 and even has an idea of what it is. She is usually quite supportive, although, she calls it my "farm to table diet". :)

She: Oh good I love this eggplant. Want some?

Me: Oh, no thanks. I have some grilled eggplant coming.

She: Oh have some..it's diet food.

UGH!!!

A co-worker overheard me talking about Paleo and reeled off a hundred "can you eat...." questions at me. Afterwards, she came out with this beauty:

"I think my son is Paleo, all he eats is hamburger helper"!!!

:blink:

Omg, did she miss the memo that clearly states NO GRAIN? Also, no "food-in-a-box"?? Last time I checked, HH involved pasta and a chemical powder substance that tastes like food when mixed in ground beef.

I just find the whole concept of ANYONE commenting on my food, life choices or decisions ALWAYS just plain rude.

I do not, HAVE NOT, and WILL NOT ever feel the need to make a comment about a person's decisions - food or otherwise

What is it with people who don't have a "basic courtesy valve" in their mouth..there are plenty of them

I actually see it as more a case of them feeling attacked for what I have chosen to put on my plate - like it somehow reflects badly on them, therefore they feel the need to lash out with a statement that backs up their position.

If anything, it makes me more determined - I sit there silently losing weight, gaining control over my eating while they plunge headfirst into the abyss..enjoy the trip, peeps!!!

-Have you lost weight, with your paleo thing?

-Scale hasn't moved yet but (being interrupted here)

-I knew it! (end of conversation)

Scale not moving could not possibly be due to the fact that I'm doing crossfit twice a week and that I'm adding about 5-10 pounds per week to my weightlifting? That I used to be unable to do a single chin-up, even with rubber bands but that I now can?

Continue eating your white bread and beans and not do exercise. We'll see who outlasts who, in the end.

Back story: My father has only been nagging me for the odd 26 years to lose weight. Convincing me that I should be excersising more, should be eating more fish, cut out bread [not a bad idea - I think he was onto something here!!:) ].

I spoke to him over the weekend and reported that I had lost roughly 18lbs since July 1st. (I last weighed myself mid October somewheres) and that I had averaged losing about 1lb a week. (July first was my first step into Paleo type eating, and October 1st was the end of my whole 40. He had heard via my brother what I had been undertaking and thought it was a very good move on my part.

His comment was - That's much too fast! you must not be eating healthy at all!

The man would fall off his chair if he would see how MUCH food I am eating and yet still losing (on avg) a pound a week. (We'll see what it is after my second round is finished)

• 2 weeks later...

Carla 1#/week is actually a great average, congrats!

When I talk about the Whole30 program, I often get negative response from people who think it's too restrictive. Their answer to health and weight loss: Everything in moderation.

I have two problems with this:

1: Everything: Everything? Really? So a moderate amount of cocaine is alright? How about arsenic? Sure, these are obvious things, but there also are less obvious things. Bread in moderation doesn't work if you're sensitive to gluten. Milk in moderation doesn't work if you're lactose-intolerant. There are also MANY signs of inflamation that are much more subtle than all of this. And you don't know until you self-experiment. Eating everything in moderation won't teach you anything about your body.

2. Moderation: There are no "guidelines" for moderation. If I eat sushi once a month, most people would say that's moderation. If I go to a restaurant once a month, that's still moderation. Same thing for candies, for baked good, cheeseburger, fries, chocolate, ice cream.. But if I add all these up, it's not moderation anymore. Nobody knows what "moderation" means to their body until they remove some foods from their diet, then reintroduce. Then again, we're back to W30/strict paleo.

And just by the way, I've never seen anyone improve hormonal response, improve their digestion, their sleep, etc. just by eating everything in moderation. Health is NOT just about weight, people!

On another note, I think if go though all of human history, no one has ever done anything great, doing it in moderation! All in or go home!

Ok .... Here's mine: at a party, " oh your not drinking?" " not even a glass of wine, it's good for your heart". No thank you, I don't drink alcohol...... .... Hushed whispers "heee must be an alcoholic in recovery"

At a birthday party last weekend:

My wife's aunt - "So Paleo is working for you huh? I did it for a month and did't lose a single pound"

Me - "That's strange, I wonder why"

My wife's aunt - "Do you cheat though? I cheat all the time" (Eating something in a sandwich)

Me - "Erm................."

My mother in law - "No it's because you're old, it's hard to lose weight when you're old"

Me - "...................what?

Yesterday I was filling out the paperwork for a new doctor (I'm seeing an oral surgeon next week). One of the questions was "are you on a diet?". Am I on a diet? What kind of question is that?...and from a doctor's office, no less! I mean, had they asked 'do you have any dietary restrictions?' I would understand it. Way to perpetuate the 'diet' mentality...

I answered 'no' by the way because I am making the assumption they mean "are you eating in a certain way, temporarily" and I'm not, but really, anyone eating food is on a 'diet'. I can't wait to point it out to them when I go into the office next week. Yes, I'm going to be 'that' person. ;)

Yesterday I was filling out the paperwork for a new doctor (I'm seeing an oral surgeon next week). One of the questions was "are you on a diet?". Am I on a diet? What kind of question is that?...and from a doctor's office, no less! I mean, had they asked 'do you have any dietary restrictions?' I would understand it. Way to perpetuate the 'diet' mentality...

I answered 'no' by the way because I am making the assumption they mean "are you eating in a certain way, temporarily" and I'm not, but really, anyone eating food is on a 'diet'. I can't wait to point it out to them when I go into the office next week. Yes, I'm going to be 'that' person. ;)

Really, it should be the other way around: "Other than real food, what kinds of processed, artificial, homogenized, hydrogenated, chemical-laden, or hormonally imbalanced imitation food products do you consume?*

*Please attach another sheet if necessary."

Thing is, people don't identify things like whole grain bread, soy milk, oatmeal, low-fat cheese (etc.) as "processed, artificial, homogenized, hydrogenated, chemical-laden, or hormonally imbalanced imitation food products do you consume". They see those things as healthy. Heck, some people even believe that "grain-fed beef" is natural!

And you can bet that when the medical community will realize they've made mistakes, they'll be the last one to admit it. So a good percentage of people will continue to believe that the Food Pyramid is actually a good template of what they should be eating... -_-

Back to " a little wont hurt". Why is it that knowledgeable dog owners know not to give their dogs " a little chocolate, or a little grapes" because it can kill them!!!! But they keep on stuffing their faces a little bit at a time, with things that will make them less and less healthy.... Oh yeah..." A little wont hurt!!!!"

Archived