It's a New Day: KB0426's Post-Whole30

kb0426

aye god, it's a frickin journey, huh? I am doing one starting June 3 and I can't wait. I am really really looking forward to it. I'm slowly creeping back in that I had some chocolate after lunch today and again while making dinner...and I plan on having some coconut based ice cream tonight. and I had cheese on my burger tonight which is, in itself, not a huge deal but I have such a horrible reaction I know not to eat it. I just wanted it. ugh.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I am so impressed with your awareness+informed action. I could see myself eating a loaf of toasted bread for dinner (as I have done in the past) before I realized the harm I was causing.

You are awesome! And you'll know when you're ready for another Whole30. Be patient. It may come sooner than you think.

aye god, it's a frickin journey, huh? I am doing one starting June 3 and I can't wait. I am really really looking forward to it. I'm slowly creeping back in that I had some chocolate after lunch today and again while making dinner...and I plan on having some coconut based ice cream tonight. and I had cheese on my burger tonight which is, in itself, not a huge deal but I have such a horrible reaction I know not to eat it. I just wanted it. ugh.

If only what we wanted was always good for us!

I am so impressed with your awareness+informed action. I could see myself eating a loaf of toasted bread for dinner (as I have done in the past) before I realized the harm I was causing.

You are awesome! And you'll know when you're ready for another Whole30. Be patient. It may come sooner than you think.

I am getting close...I think it may be as soon as tomorrow. ;)

Wowza! Just saw the orange dress. Not many women can rock a dress like that, lady! Wear it to the farmers' market with a wide brimmed hat and cat-eye glasses. :D

I think the bread was a big move. In a previous life I would realize the bread was doing me harm, and then eaten it all bc, well, I had to get the eating over with to get it out of the house. And I couldn't waste it in case I never ate it again. Then: self-flagellation and more crap eating as punishment.

I think the bread was a big move. In a previous life I would realize the bread was doing me harm, and then eaten it all bc, well, I had to get the eating over with to get it out of the house. And I couldn't waste it in case I never ate it again. Then: self-flagellation and more crap eating as punishment.

On vacation, I ate sourdough toast every morning. It was an enjoyable part of my meal, and there was no overeating or binging on it.

So, I was smug, even rather arrogant, believing I had conquered this trigger food. This week proved that is not the case! When I got home late from work last night, and was tired, it was just TOO easy. It tasted TOO good, and I knew absolutely that if this was not shoved into the garbage immediately the rest of the loaf would be gone. I literally emptied the bread from the bag; sadly, I knew if I just put the bagged bread in the garbage, I might still be tempted. Gross, I know, but still true. I hate that throwing it away was my only option but bread and I have a history. I can say today the smartest thing is to not buy anymore, but we ALL know that at some point in time, I will again think i have conquered it...and the pattern will be repeated.

Even being aware doesn't mean I always make the best choices, but all of it is progress.

Good for you throwing out the bread! I have such a hard time "wasting" food, too. I have some bread in the freezer that I will not be eating. I think a trip to Como to feed the ducks is in order. :)

On vacation, I ate sourdough toast every morning. It was an enjoyable part of my meal, and there was no overeating or binging on it.

So, I was smug, even rather arrogant, believing I had conquered this trigger food. This week proved that is not the case! When I got home late from work last night, and was tired, it was just TOO easy. It tasted TOO good, and I knew absolutely that if this was not shoved into the garbage immediately the rest of the loaf would be gone. I literally emptied the bread from the bag; sadly, I knew if I just put the bagged bread in the garbage, I might still be tempted. Gross, I know, but still true. I hate that throwing it away was my only option but bread and I have a history. I can say today the smartest thing is to not buy anymore, but we ALL know that at some point in time, I will again think i have conquered it...and the pattern will be repeated.

Even being aware doesn't mean I always make the best choices, but all of it is progress.

KB, I admire you. You are so open and straight. It is fascinating how human behavior/thinking pattern is so similar sometimes. I think throwing it away was a good thing (food bank maybe next time if ever?). You could have put it in the freezer or simply eat it. No illusions here and it's big.

Black and white is great when we are surrounded by so many uncertainties. I love the feeling that whatever the day brings - I will be well fed and help my body to cope with life.

I think Tuesday may be the day. Gearing up, getting ready to dive back in...Quite honestly I am not starting RIGHT NOW because this week was hellacious at work. I am taking this long holiday weekend to decompress whilst also getting ready...whole30 #3 are you ready for me?

Hey kb, I was planning to start the 1st too , is that tuesday? But now I'm not so sure since the crash & everything...maybe it would be great & take my mind off everything or maybe it would be additional stress...

Hey kb, I was planning to start the 1st too , is that tuesday? But now I'm not so sure since the crash & everything...maybe it would be great & take my mind off everything or maybe it would be additional stress...

Derval, here is my 2¢ on that. When things spin out of control, sometimes its comforting to relax and do something in your control like a W30. That is how my constitution works anyway. :)

I was thinking of starting the 1st, because you had mentioned it in your log...then after making love to peanut butter chocolate bars this week ;) to cope with missing the BF and work stress, I realized I might be better off starting earlier. Like Susan said, I think the black and whiteness of food choices will actually help me, not hurt me.

I think my hellacious week and accompanying diet caught up with me this morning. I had cm in my decaf for the first time in a week, and I think it may have been too rich for me? My stomach was feeling blurg shortly after, and I felt lousy when Paco and I were out walking. I was lucky I got home when I did so that there were no public shatting. Kid you not; it was a close call.

Breakfast was a lovely grassfed beef burger, and some smashed plantains with clarified butter and garlic. Trying to wrap my head around the idea of another w30. I am still not committed.

Lunch was fixin's from the co-op salad bar, along with a sardine salad of sardines, fine chop carrot, celery, homemade mayo and dijon mustard. I liked it, but cannot say I loved it. I did like the cherries I bought though!

I wasn't excited for grocery shopping this week. That is SO unlike me. Between the stomach issues earlier and lack of excitement for my food - I think I just have a case of the blahs. Not depression of any sort, just a case of "food is food and I need to eat when I am hungry but am not particularly excited about anything foodwise right now" blahs. My lower than usual grocery bill reflected that. It could also be that I am just getting ready for summer; a time when I find I just naturally just eat lighter, less complicated meals.

Onto other subjects - the booch vessel has been purchased! I still have more reading up to do on the subject, but my attempt at home grown SCOBY has begun! Once I am ready for the first batch, it is going in here:

post-6147-0-65802000-1369515810_thumb.jp

Isn't it pretty? I love that it looks like a giant mason jar. I love mason jars :wub: .

I got it at Target and paid a ridiculous amount of money for it ($25) but feel like since that is how much 7 bottles of kombucha cost me, it will be a good investment in the long term. It has a 2 gallon capacity! I may have to have a kombucha stand in front of my house! Between the flavors Nadia and Susan have described, and the thoughts in my own head (mango blackerry jalapeno for one) I am looking forward to this experiment all summer long.

Hope you are enjoying your Saturday and that it is a warm sunny one where you live!

I share your love for mason jars. I always feel so competent and homestead-y when I use them. They are fab. HAve you seen the silicon tops you can attach so you can use a mason jar as a drinking vessel? I think I'm going to try one.

I want something that looks exactly like yours. Where did you find it? Local shop or ? I really don't shopt at all in person. It's just too much of a PITA for me to drive anywhere in the city, find parking and navigate stores where everything is thrown on the ground and no one is helpful. Also I hate shopping.

I share your love for mason jars. I always feel so competent and homestead-y when I use them. They are fab. HAve you seen the silicon tops you can attach so you can use a mason jar as a drinking vessel? I think I'm going to try one.

I want something that looks exactly like yours. Where did you find it? Local shop or ? I really don't shopt at all in person. It's just too much of a PITA for me to drive anywhere in the city, find parking and navigate stores where everything is thrown on the ground and no one is helpful. Also I hate shopping.

I have seen the silicon tops! I think I have them pinned on my pinterest page. I really need to purchase them too!

I got my vessel at Target. I am making this very easy for you :)

http://www.target.com/p/threshold-vintage-glass-beverage-dispenser/-/A-14152223#prodSlot=medium_1_30&term=dispenser

But this one is darned cute too!

http://www.target.com/p/beehive-beverage-dispenser-2-3gal/-/A-12939080#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=dispenser

I really hope I can get this booch train moving. I am a little intimidated.

As for shopping, I LOVE shopping. Seriously. The thing is I am now at a point in my life where I NEED to stop accumulating THINGS (i.e. shoes) that don't represent a significant purpose in my life. I am going through my house as I clean this weekend and actually putting things in the garage that can be for a future garage sale. I simply have too much STUFF in my life!

Beeyoutiful vessel. It's all so very exciting. I kind of wish mine was 2 gallons. Mine is about 1.5. It's pretty though. :)

Mine's 1.5 as well (6 litres - had to google the conversion!) but no tap thingy.

Yours is lovely kb0426, we've started brewing at about the same time but yours will probably move along a little faster as I should think it must be warming up for you whereas the weather is getting cooler and cooler here. Best of luck with it :)

Can you do kombucha in plastic?

Spent a lot of time thinking about another whole30. I am just not ready, and quite frankly, despite the chocolate PB bars and the bread, and some wine, my eating is really quite good. Dinner last night was a ribeye steak, sweet potatoes and artichokes. Breakfast today was pretty much the same as yesterday; beef burger, but topped with mayo and a fried egg, smashed plantains as a wedge of melon on the side. I had a cup of 1/2 regular 1/2 decaf, black, when I got up, and then some gingerberry kombucha with my breakfast.

I think I need to trust myself for a while, and that means creating my own black/white environment. And, clearly, keeping the sourdough out of the house.

Paco and I are headed out on some adventures this morning; will catch up with you all later!

Its not reccomended highly because chemicals from some plastic can leach into the SCOBY and kill IT. Hwever, if Derval ordered a kit, it is certainly food grade plastic and probably has been tested to be sure it is okay for the SCOBY.

Not that pretty but the other kits I could afford with glass jars were much smaller vessels.

I suppose I will make plain in this and then decant it in to something like this

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/glass-storage/kilner-clip-top-preserve-bottle-1l/invt/054682

and flavour it

Looking fwd to learning a new skill....oh btw the dregs of the bottle experiment didn't work.

Archived