Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The market was awesome. I have 2 of them super close to me. I got my chicken necks. Kookoolan just made their first deliveries of pastured chickens to 12 New Seasons (local whole foods type store but not so shi shi) and the restaurants so they had necks and feet coming out their ears. They will have duck necks soon. I bought feet!! I didnt look at them but farmer Chrissy assured me they have no toenails. They are wrapped up and sitting in my freezer. I hope I don't dream about Zombie chicken feet tonight. ;0)

I just mentioned this on my log, but am looking forward to making a strawberry lime jalapeno kombucha...once I start brewing, that is :).

It was quite a tasty combo in a shhhh margarita :ph34r: .

I am not whole30. It is perfectly legal - and delicious!

I just mentioned this on my log, but am looking forward to making a strawberry lime jalapeno kombucha...once I start brewing, that is :).

It was quite a tasty combo in a shhhh margarita :ph34r: .

Sounds amazing. It looked really pretty, too.

Nadia, I love your new photo.

Monday. Day whatever.

Slept like a rock. Whatever breakfast, whatever lunch. I didn't have coffee today as well. Mild headache and sleepyness. I want coffee so bad, I am like a recovering addict with shaky hands. Running errands after work hungry - piece of dark chocolate. It's good to have it back. I like how it helps me to get a fix (reach for fat wisdom) without triggering any bad habits like fruits or nuts do.

I've posted my sucess story and feel somewhat relieved. Not sure why. I will not be logging every day for a while, but I will be sure to post important/tasty stuff.

Like now. I have to share my dinner. I am having fish roe curry and parsley salad. Salad is MINDBLOWING. Seriously. I insist you make it with any Indian inspired dish. I demand.

null_zpsb5fd8bb0.jpg

Salad. Curly parsley 1 bunch (not a flat leaf), 1/2 onion, tomato, chilie pepper, shredded coconut (I crumbled my flakes), curry powder and juice of one lime. chop everything super fine. Mix and place on the DRY skillet. Medium heat for 10 min. NO OIL. stirr several times. Omg. I need more parsley.

Running errands after work hungry - piece of dark chocolate. It's good to have it back. I like how it helps me to get a fix (reach for fat wisdom) without triggering any bad habits like fruits or nuts

This is true for me as well, but I didn't realize it till I read your log.

Salad sounds yummy. The only roe I've ever eaten more than once is taramosalata--which I do like a lot.

I eat 100% raw chocolate, it's pretty hard to eat more than one square. It's bitter and filling. I always have portioned square in my wallet for emergency. Dark organic with toasted coconut is another story. Price is the only thing that keeps it under control :)

Had to google it. It is made with bread. But I am so willing to try it. Mmm love roe. Damn, I used every piece for curry. Oh well. Will wait until Saturday market fun

Kombucha whoop whoop.

I bottled my first batch yesterday. Happy dance. It tasted so great and fizzy without the second fermentation, but I still wanted to play with flavoring it. I forgot to label them, so now I can only guess which is which. I can recall which combos I made either. I think that I made strawberry-blackberry-basil, blackberry-mango, strawberry-mint, ginger-lemon-orange, orange-vanilla (took a sip omgomg) and something else.

Couldn't open the bottle in the morning and had to use knife, carbonation has built up overnight. I tried blackberry mango. It was good, but not awesome. I find the taste so much stronger than GT. Should I use more juice or less tea while steeping? I loved berries after straining the most tbh - great compote. Now I am freaking out that I didn't leave enough space and I come back to find my kitchen covered with exploded glass and berries.

I made second batch. I was freaking out to touch the scoby to place it into the jar. I touched it and something has torn off it. I almost fainted. Then the scoby was all folded and I almost fainted again. Then I figured it's a little baby scoby. I hope I didn't injure it. Then I figured that I didn't save enough liquid for two scobys. I let them both sit in the new batch, is that ok? Do I have to wash the jar from previous portion or not? So many questions and a new round of paranoia.

Unrelated facts: I didn't drink coffee and I still crave it badly, still no period (23 days late) and I am getting another blood work done, it's getting harder to eat meat and heavy stuff since it's summer, I am thinking of starting a blog and spreading the liver love. I don't have much to say, but I feel like digital age has made it hard to rely on the memory solely. I can't remember what I ate or did last week but for my phone. Sad, but true. There are moments I want to remember, so I'll give it a try. Maybe.

Isn't flavoring fun? I just love it. Start taking notes. You will totally forget what you did and which ones you like. I label mine but I have not taken notes. At the end of the document that I sent you, there is a nifty note spreadsheet. I am going to print it and use it.

I do the continuous brew so I only need to clean it 3-4 times a year. I think maybe you should clean yours each time. No problem keeping 2 SCOBY in the same jar. Your KT will just happen faster. Also, does not matter if you tore your SCOBY. It will just grow to fit the opening of your jar.

My weirdest flavor so far..basil and ginger. I may have put a slice of lime in it. I forget. It might be ready today.

KK suggests keeping your bottles in a box in case they blow up. :0)

Susan, I just obtained a SCOBY and now am just waiting to obtain an appropriate container for brewing. Can I have a copy of this document you speak of? Nadia, I'm freaking out about this stuff. I've been saving these lovely brown bottles with twisty caps from kombucha I'm currently buying hoping they will work for bottling my own.

Ahah join the panic club. I have been saving GT bottles as well. Mine lives in a cookie jar, you just need glass vessel that fits decent amount of liquid as far as I know.

We'll master the art of kombu brewing, no worries.

Had to google it. It is made with bread. But I am so willing to try it. Mmm love roe. Damn, I used every piece for curry. Oh well. Will wait until Saturday market fun

I've had it just with olive oil, lemon, roe and salt. My ex BF was Greek and his mom made it really lemony. Also had it in Greece and I don't believe there was bread involved--though I could of course be totally wrong! And I certainly ate it w piles of pita.

But something like this uses no bread but forms a "mayonnaise like paste": http://bittman.blogs...s-taramosalata/

Love Mark Bittman. I have How To Cook Everything on my Kindle tablet.

About the roe...I lurve caviar and the eggs they put on sushi rolls...bbbbuuuuuttttt...the ovary itself?

Yesterday, I busted out one of my pastured chickens to snag the back and make spatchcocked chicken. I was hoping there was a liver in the little neck bag. No such luck. There was a gizzard which I like. Um...there was also this long skinny flap of skin attached to some sort of cartilage something. I had to investigate. Then at the bottom I saw the toe...with the frickin toenail still on it. It was very clean and white. Almost like it had a recent pedi. The best part was that my daughter stopped by so I was able to gross her out.

Love Mark Bittman. I have How To Cook Everything on my Kindle tablet.

About the roe...I lurve caviar and the eggs they put on sushi rolls...bbbbuuuuuttttt...the ovary itself?

Yesterday, I busted out one of my pastured chickens to snag the back and make spatchcocked chicken. I was hoping there was a liver in the little neck bag. No such luck. There was a gizzard which I like. Um...there was also this long skinny flap of skin attached to some sort of cartilage something. I had to investigate. Then at the bottom I saw the toe...with the frickin toenail still on it. It was very clean and white. Almost like it had a recent pedi. The best part was that my daughter stopped by so I was able to gross her out.

You made me laugh and doubletake! You changed your name :)

Archived