Nadia's PW30. "Let's fix it" journey.

Nadia B

Twice baked turnips looks yummy!

When I tasted it again after about 3 weeks with none, it tasted like something that would come out of a 150 year old clogged drain.

I remember that thread, hilarious! I think long baking made the bitterness go away. I made mine with bacon, parsley and onions. I think it would make great snack too by mixing some ground beef and ghee to the filling - great balance.

You are so right. It's 30 days and it's for my own good. Period.

True again, most of time I like the idea of having coffee more than a coffee itself. I should give it a try and if I'll still crave it - at least I tried. Clogged drain part made me giggle.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 83. Duck experiment.

Inspired by Nanette's mouthwatering pictures of duck, Derval's recipes and restaurant memories I got two legs of organic antibiotics-free happy ducks. I've never cooked duck myself, but decided that the time has come. So I used D's recipe for the duck and Johnny M's for the orange sauce (made 1/6 of recipe).

It wasn't epic, but it was GOOD. REALLY GOOD. Like I-ate-every-tiny-bit-of-meat-remaining-on-that-leg-standing-near-the-stove-good. Sauce is fantastic just a little bit too sweet. I think I'll do half juice half water next time.

Bonus - a whole jar of duck fat. Yay.

5F623678-D444-43F1-8E3A-4E3C82F22799-1892-00000366A3B052C1_zpsc0c76364.jpg

Other random facts about yesterday: I ate spinach/small turnip/prosciutto snack around 4. Pilates was awesome. Energy levels - good and stable. I have too much food in the fridge.

Day 84. Chocolate addicted - read at your own risk.

My biggest victory of the month is that my body starts to ask for more sleep. Instead of jumping out of bed at 6 AM I actually feel that I could have slept even longer, when I have my alarm ringing around 7AM. I use the sleep cycle app and love waking up this way.

Started day with a bit of sweat with my short 12 minute plank wo.

Breakfast: collard/spinach + leftover from the Moroccan chicken salad + cucumber. Coffee. I used last bits of my coffee. I am not buying another pack. Thank God I am a bit of a coffee snob and don't drink ___ insert any major coffee retailer.

541C3297-5EEE-4D6D-B0FE-80CC8785F050-1892-00000366A192D6A0_zpsac2fefe5.jpg

Packed lunch (no picture ugly ugliness): zuchinni + bok choy + salmon/basa pate. Packed an emergency snack: cucumbers + salted salmon. Packed pre/post chicken that was left after making broth.

I was feeling a bit sleepy so decided to go outside and get my vitamin D. Walked to the reopened handmade chocolate store in the historical district. I've done a lot of thinking in terms of "treats" etc and figured out that I won't cut out high quality dark chocolate. It's the best option as it's not sweet, it's actually has some health benefits and hard to overeat (due to it's price as well). However, finding one that doesn't give me a nasty reaction was hard. I tried my luck there and voila! I ended up with 1 ingredient 100% chocolate bar with absolutely no sugar + vanilla hot chocolate mix (no sugar again!).

Sunny Toronto for all of you freezing out there!

586A4293-CC6F-4831-9EF4-FC95CCB76AD5-2240-000003E2D88207C2_zps9c12a526.jpg96fc66f8-7b50-4ab2-964c-a4da3a579763_zps3ef9ed17.jpg

B57DC3BC-E013-46E8-AC51-2E560F51E7A2-2240-000003E2D1946282_zpsbb81eb5b.jpgbc47b31b-3e93-4f4e-aac8-e838c114dd3c_zpsf3509f54.jpg

Going to look for new blender and to the gym after. I feel that it's not enough food, but WO finishes pretty late. Not sure what to do in terms of dinner.

DD3415F2-2E3B-43B0-B9A4-A8E4A04D3129-2240-000003E2D6413791_zps9c4598ed.jpg

Love your pics, too! Toronto looks lovely. And that chocolate place looks great.

If you're into chocolate, do you know this book? It's not at all about candy, but instead about treating chocolate as nuanced and artful. Plus you learn all about the process and the different beans, etc. Love this book! One thing that I miss when I'm on paleo are "special" foods - things that feel gourmet and that took a lot of time and thought to produce. But chocolate can totally be that!

Love your pics, too! Toronto looks lovely. And that chocolate place looks great.

If you're into chocolate, do you know this book?

Thanks ^_^ Well the deal with chocolate for me is that it gives me reaction, so all I can get away with is 100% cocoa beans in small amount. I love how crafted chocolate looks and smells and it's enough for me. Moreover I completely suck at making any kind of desserts, so I am safe. But I love great books, so I go an check it out for sure!

Learn to cook meat is my mission :D

Day 84/85. Organ meat hardcore.

Workout I used to crush at multiple times last month was great, I wasn't dead after, I was hungry instead. It was a bit late, but I found a pack of turkey that had to be cooked before expiration. Dinner: greens/yam/mushrooms + two turkey/olives/artichokes/parsley sliders wrapped in prosciutto.

628DA62D-5C40-4C8C-A7CF-A19C83FB2D83-2733-000004B76623EFC3_zps7fe6e612.jpg

Today's breakfast: cabbage/5 unexpectedly found cherry tomatoes (hate to waste them, let's see if this FODmap does anything to me)/marinated carrots + smoked beef tongue + two blackberry/lemon gelatin gummies (no sugar though). I made hot cocoa as a sub for coffee. It was good, but didn't do the trick. Not worth it.

A8260F81-D0ED-42ED-AF72-5E1E383418AB-2733-000004B767F588E1_zps527365b3.jpg

Now let's talk beef tongue. Where I grew up eating beef tongue is normal. No one will eyeball you if you mention the fact that you had some beef tongue for lunch. Beef tongue has a lots of iron, B12 and zinc. Get where I am going? Beef tongue = good. Here is a trashy photo because I like them so much.

1A666556-DAAE-44AE-AF86-F008841FC7A4-2733-000004B7694D8F7A_zps65d1af4d.jpg

Packed lunch: turnip/fennel + cabbage/Brussel sprouts + beef liver. Snack: turnip/overcooked bok choy and two bacon slices. Two doctor's appointments and a dance rehearsal after work. Dinner TBD.

90DAE86A-5A51-448A-BD3F-F7D433544377-2733-000004B76A355696_zps4e220fb8.jpg

two turkey/olives/artichokes/parsley sliders wrapped in prosciutto.

Now let's talk beef tongue. Where I grew up eating beef tongue is normal. No one will eyeball you if you mention the fact that you had some beef tongue for lunch. Beef tongue has a lots of iron, B12 and zinc. Get where I am going? Beef tongue = good.

Sliders sound super yummy!!

Beef tongue - I'm intrigued! Might have to put this on the list next time I order meat from my farm.

Sliders sound super yummy!!

Beef tongue - I'm intrigued! Might have to put this on the list next time I order meat from my farm.

It's time consuming to boil it (3-4 hours), but it's ok to plan it along with making broth. I've been lazy and waited till my aunt got me one from our ethnic store. Not sure where you live in NY, but Brighton Beach is the place to buy smoked one B)

ooooh I haven't been down to Brighton Beach in ages! I take it you are Russian?

Mhhhmmm let me see. I skate, take ballet classes and can slice a beef tongue with cold heart and firm hand. So cliche, right :D The fact that I don't drink stands out a bit though.

I am afraid furry hat is deep in the closet already. It's warm here!

Day 85. Update.

Yesterday after dentist I went for a long walk in a cute Victorian looking neighborhood called Cabbagetown (after first wave Irish immigrants who used to grow cabbage on their lawns) I had 2 hours before rehearsal.

94F3EDB2-35EA-429D-8333-5695EF83F229-390-000000DE23892ECF_zpsc4e3a5d6.jpgE33426E8-920A-4F76-AC1A-3E4AF3122FD6-390-000000DE255A301C_zpsbec815cd.jpg

Long story short - I gave up and had a coffee in a new coffeeshop and microbakery there. Owner turned out to be Slavic and eating paleo as well. We talked about all these food sensitivities everyone is having here. When I was a kid all I had to do to get fresh milk in summer is to get up 5 am and join granny in the barn. We were chugging milk by cups, making our own cottage cheese and butter. I learned that someone can be possibly sensitive to diary at the age of 25 years old here in Canada. With a wink she disappeared in the kitchen and came back with chocolate flourless gluten-free cake. It was amazing. Surprisingly I didn't have bloat from coffee or reaction to the cake. Still coffee at 5:30 pm is not a smartest idea. Rehearsal went well and I had plenty of energy!

No dinner as I was full from cake and coffee.

Day 86.

Early "Friday" as it's a long weekend. Started day with plank interval WO and a messy breakfast (greens + odd veggies leftovers fritters/guac/bacon/raw cow cheese). Then I attacked beef tongue slices and had about 3 or 4 of them. Well, I didn't do great with protein for breakfast anyways, so it's all good.

177C27B4-9A3D-4F3D-BA23-B7DA6C70B528-336-000000D7897E2A6B_zpsca1f7b2c.jpg

I am bloated like hell and it buuuuuuuurns on the right side. I haven't had this type of pain for quite a while. Cake consequences? I don't know what to do and I never figured out a way to ease this pain out. Sleep was troubled and restless. This is cake and sugar 100%, I know it. My feet are swollen (it was hurting a bit to walk in my boots). No BM since yesterday morning as well. I am yawning and I want coffee. It will get better by lunch time I hope.

Big shrimps salad for lunch. Went for a walk and ended up at the farmers market. Seriously I should stop. My fridge is blowing up from food, but I just love wandering inside and peaking what people are buying. I bought Mayer lemons as I planned to preserve them. Mission - not to eat them all, they are delish. Then I hang out with my favorite butcher and he got something for me with crazy discount.

*funny part*

I get back from lunch. My co-workers mention that I look very happy and excited. I go: "Oh yea, I got THIS for 5 bucks". Dead silence. Well, my reputation can't suffer much after eating avocado at the bus stop.

E23C9261-2DB8-4ECC-95C2-63D97D6DB62B-697-0000010175FFFF9C_zps55cddcb2.jpg

What can I say? This. Because I totally did. I have to keep espresso in the morning, because not having it brings too much deprivation to my life - makes me want to eat random stuff - makes me upset. One step at a time, now I am at my portion control, so let my morning bloat be. Side pain is gone btw. Yupee.

752C4428-799B-4813-AB61-A9DDD3B3A145-697-0000010174D35EF5_zpse7c1afcc.jpg

Dinner - I think I'll make this. Looks good. No ballet but we are going to the Garbage concert instead.

Tomorrow is going to be good because I decided so. I will sleep as long as my body will want, do fun WO, have tastiest breakfast ever (any ideas anyone? What's your best breakfast ever kind of meal?), go to the gallery after, do my spring cleaning at the apartment and do more cannery job (preserved lemons, onion jam and pickled ginger).

Day 87. Not So Good Friday.

What a strange day with messy eating. My body is doing weird stuff again. I want to blame dammit cake.

First - my feet are one size bigger. I barely survived the concert standing and took cab home. Today they are still giant.

Second - first half day I spent between bed and fridge. I have only read about such things before. I had a great breakfast (yam/broccoli/mushrooms + kangaroo sliders).

A10D2401-B636-4ED5-95FD-F8C8DB1C4B50-1013-0000013BE6293250_zpse4da4a58.jpg

Felt asleep again. Got grazing bug and polished good part of my fridge. Like cold Brussel sprouts followed by chocolate piece. GROSS I KNOW. What's killing me is that somewhere between panic and guilt I have thoughts of how to undo the harm. Got a bit of anxiety attack and fell asleep again for another two hours.

Third - decided to deal with this crap whatever it takes. Dragged myself to the museum. Then went for a walk, thank God it's crazy sunshine outside and happy people are everywhere. Went to the hippie neighborhood to get some positive emotions.

Fourth - my lovely Portugese fish store owners had a surprise.

62097175-6551-4E20-88F7-1AAD2A83242B-1013-00000138A659B0A5_zps8f931929.jpg

Guess? Guess?

09385EC3-35FE-4C84-9952-DD6986D8F374-1013-00000138A824AC43_zpsfecdf731.jpg

Sardineeees! Nom! And a giant clam. Juicy!

5FAE073E-12D9-4152-873E-71EA8BD3990F-1013-00000138A9F5A7A0_zpsd2c4463c.jpg

I type it as I sit in the sun with the book, gf cookie (beeeeeh) doing this -

A55FAB54-0DE9-4DE4-8352-7FE15AC2B298-1013-00000138B7543698_zpsc4ad88b9.jpg

I am a bit scared to go home. Also scared to open the fridge. Also scared that I will never get rid of this eating disorders. Hormones? I'd rather have mm's kind if imbalance.

Aren't you all sick of me whining? I am sick 100%. Well, at least I am trying to deal with this emotional craze.

Nadia you are so cute, smart and funny. Now when I read your posts, I do it with a Russian accent straight out of a James Bond movie.

Oh...AND...no wonder you love sardines. Lovely looking grilled crispy fishies. I have only had them from a can..after flipping tires and swinging a sledge hammer..sitting in my car so nobody has to smell them. Must buy some fresh ones this weekend.

oh honey, this is just it. some things take longer to deal with than others. be patient with yourself good and kind girl.

I wish for you 'lots of hot guys' hormones coming soon.

Will do my best, doc! Spans between slips are getting longer - I take it as a good sign.

Healthy lifestyle attempts have cut out big chunk of them for possible dating :D Hormones will have to work really hard!

Nadia you are so cute, smart and funny. Now when I read your posts, I do it with a Russian accent straight out of a James Bond movie.

Oh...AND...no wonder you love sardines. Lovely looking grilled crispy fishies. I have only had them from a can..after flipping tires and swinging a sledge hammer..sitting in my car so nobody has to smell them. Must buy some fresh ones this weekend.

Thank you, so sweet. Sardines rock - canned or fresh. But it's a stinky love. There is a good reason they grill them outdoors. I would never take risk of frying them in my condo apartment unless I open windows and the balcony.

Spoiler alert! I do not have a typical Russian accent :P

Will do my best, doc! Spans between slips are getting longer - I take it as a good sign.

Healthy lifestyle attempts have cut out big chunk of them for possible dating Hormones will have to work really hard!

Thank you, so sweet. Sardines rock - canned or fresh. But it's a stinky love. There is a good reason they grill them outdoors. I would never take risk of frying them in my condo apartment unless I open windows and the balcony.

Spoiler alert! I do not have a typical Russian accent

Oh, I figured that was a canned sardine thing. Still getting fresh tomorrow. I will grill them outside.

I am Greek (half) no cute Greek accent here. My mom has a slight one but it was her parents who came through Ellis Island. You will always sound Russian to me. :)

Oh, I figured that was a canned sardine thing. Still getting fresh tomorrow. I will grill them outside.

I am Greek (half) no cute Greek accent here. My mom has a slight one but it was her parents who came through Ellis Island. You will always sound Russian to me. :)

How did mission "Sardines" go? Any luck?

Haha ok, as long as we can avoid questions about bears and vodka, we are good!

Archived