kb0426

Kombucha Makers Unite; Where to ask and be answered

I've just finished the last bottle of my third batch - probably didn't leave it long enough in first fermentation, as it was still sweet when bottled, and each bottle grey it's own little layer of SCOBY - which I felt terrible about when I put it in the compost.  The initial one, still in the tapped kilner jar will be ok to start the next batch.  If I got my arse in gear I'd start making a new batch as I started the last bottle, then wouldn't run out - oh well.  it's all good.

calling a SCOBY Toby makes sense, but why Maggie?

On 8/18/2017 at 11:24 AM, Crastney said:

calling a SCOBY Toby makes sense, but why Maggie?

I let my boyfriend's 10-year old daughter name it whatever she wanted, and she chose Margaret, but Maggie is just cuter. :)

Don't feel bad about those scoby layers in the compost. They had a greater purpose than just kombucha!

Quick question, I am a newbie and am curious whether people prefer buying a kit (found a great kit on Amazon with five star reviews on the result and ease of use) or just doing your own thing! 

3 hours ago, anniejean83 said:

Quick question, I am a newbie and am curious whether people prefer buying a kit (found a great kit on Amazon with five star reviews on the result and ease of use) or just doing your own thing! 

This kind of depends on you and your comfort level. I bought a kit (from Kombucha Kamp) because 1) I was a little intimidated by the process and didn't want to screw up, and 2) I didn't want to wait any longer than I had to (growing your own scoby takes at least a couple of weeks, plus then waiting for the first batch to be done on top of that. With a kit, you just have the waiting for the first batch to be done). So are you more the type who is willing to wait longer to do it all yourself, or are you more the type to want things to be done as fast as possible? Lots of people have had good luck doing their own from scratch, and now that I know more about it, if I needed to restart, if I lost my scoby or something, I'd be okay with starting from scratch without the kit.

Thank you Shannon! After reading a bit, I decided to start my SCOBY, mainly because I have everything needed to do it right now. Nothing to lose! I do feel like this is the easy part so I need to keep reading as it grows! And I can always buy one if needed. Thanks for the input!

Is my scoby supposed to sink to the bottom of my container once I add it to sweet tea and started tea to brew? Grew my first scoby at home and now my first batch! Thanks in advance! 

On 02/10/2017 at 5:17 AM, anniejean83 said:

Is my scoby supposed to sink to the bottom of my container once I add it to sweet tea and started tea to brew? Grew my first scoby at home and now my first batch! Thanks in advance! 

Sinking and floating are both normal. Your new batch should grow a new Scoby on the surface as it goes through the fermentation process.

Hello fellow Kombucha drinkers,

I am currently brewing my first batch of kombucha. I've never really drunk any before, so I don't know what it should taste like. It's been brewing for 7 days and I tried some. It tasted like sweet tea with a vinegary aftertaste. Is it done or should I let it go longer? What should it taste like to know it is ready and compliant with Whole30?

Thank you!

Meg

it depends on how you like it, but ideally if it still tastes sweet then there's still sugar, so you probably should leave it a bit longer.  After the first 7 days, just keep trying it everyday.  at some point it will no longer taste sweet, and then as you leave it longer it'll get more and more vinegary.  stop and bottle at whatever point you feel comfortable with the amount of vinegar taste.  Add sugar to the bottles, and that will then ferment in the bottles to produce the fizz (I use around a half to one teaspoon per litre bottle), leave for maybe a couple of weeks warm for that sugar to completely convert.  I do tend to make a batch which takes probably three weeks or more to make and then I might drink it all before getting another batch on so I don't always have some around.  Strictly speaking, whilst on W30 you shouldn't be having any added sugar, so you can add apple juice, or some other naturaly sweet addition to the bottle for conditioning, and if you leave it long enough the sugar will be converted, and there'll be some fizz.  or you can avoid that step by bottling whilst still slightly sweet.

with this process you shouldn't get bottle bombs, but if there's a lot of sugars to ferment, and you have deficient bottles, and you fill too full, and you leave too warm for too long, well, then you might get an explosion - but it's incredibly unlikely.