Ha ha, I'm the same calee.  Hubby still laughs at me when I eat.  Apparently I get this expression of absolute bliss.  My whole family is like that.  No problem can't be fixed by a cup of tea and a tasty meal.  We take our food very seriously.

I'll have to try your roast cauliflower.  I always turn mine into rice!

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mm. Love a coconut milk curry soup. I'd love to reintro seed spices. Curry is so delicious to me, and such a simple satisfying way to prepare food. I've seen photos of classes similar to that TRX. It looks amazing, but sounds difficult. (I think Gwyneth has a set up like that in her workout room. I use the Tracy Anderson workouts, her trainer, and her studio has those classes. Of course her studio is something like $900 a month after some outrageous multi-thousand dollar "membership fee," but they do have classes in the Hamptons!*)

Anyway. It sounds like you are really enjoying those classes and getting so much out of them. And the monthly fee is way better than $35/class.

Bell peppers!?!!!?? Wow. Hope it works for you. I will enjoy them vicariously.

*sarcasm

Isn't it great! Food tasting better! I've also found pre-W30 post-other 30 day paleo challenge that food like substances taste worse.

Let me know how the peppers go. Bell peppers I identified as a no go for my tummy years ago. Curious to know if healing gut would take that sensitivity away. I've never really loved them so it was no big but so many things contain them.

Beth, peppers have never effected my tummy. I get my responses in hand inflammation.

Ha ha, I'm the same calee.  Hubby still laughs at me when I eat.  Apparently I get this expression of absolute bliss.  My whole family is like that.  No problem can't be fixed by a cup of tea and a tasty meal.  We take our food very seriously.

I'll have to try your roast cauliflower.  I always turn mine into rice!

See, I knew from the first that I like you! Bliss when eating. Yup!

Roasted cauliflower, a bit of EVOO. And pink salt. Pure delight. It really brings out great flavor. Mixed with white Japanese sweet potato....perfection!

I've yet to rice cauliflower. I should try it.

Mm. Love a coconut milk curry soup. I'd love to reintro seed spices. Curry is so delicious to me, and such a simple satisfying way to prepare food. I've seen photos of classes similar to that TRX. It looks amazing, but sounds difficult. (I think Gwyneth has a set up like that in her workout room. I use the Tracy Anderson workouts, her trainer, and her studio has those classes. Of course her studio is something like $900 a month after some outrageous multi-thousand dollar "membership fee," but they do have classes in the Hamptons!*)

Anyway. It sounds like you are really enjoying those classes and getting so much out of them. And the monthly fee is way better than $35/class.

Bell peppers!?!!!?? Wow. Hope it works for you. I will enjoy them vicariously.

*sarcasm

Beets, how did the classes become so elite? It really pisses me off. There is an outdoor boot camp that I pass every morning on my walk to work. Those are really reasonable.

I love the Tri colored mini bell peppers. They have been my crack for the last year. I love them. I hope they work for me.

Day 58: I won't be done yet at day 60. Stopping the HTZ drugs yesterday is going to take more effort from me.

Slept great and woke up feeling good. Only glitch to great is that I can't get my rings on. I'm not surprised as HTZ is a diuretic. I knew this would take some less than optimal days to transition. Trouble is I ate the soup so how do I know what might be a reaction to that or to the meds. I will et lean today with no peppers. Hopefully swelling will go away in a day or two, then back to testing peppers, tomatoes and eggplant.

Full work day, then off at 3:30 and directly to a Pilates Classic class. Less cardio more intensive reformer. Love this teacher.

I'm feeling good about my willingness to come off the meds.

Only two months from today until I fly off to Europe. Hopefully enough time to sprout some arm muscles! :)

Only two months!  The time will fly by ...  But I reckon it's enough time to get some guns happening.  Look how quickly your tummy leaned out! :)

Good luck with the peppers.  Hopefully the swelling comes down really soon and then you can test again!

PS: Riced cauliflower is lovely when you've got something like a curry or stew that needs something to mop up the sauce.  Will definitely try your recipe though, sounds yum!  Food enthusiasts unite!

Day 59: slept great for six hours. I wonder what 8 would feel like. I think we need less as we ve so I'm grateful when it's quality sleep. Rings won't go on this morning. Up 1/2 pound which I know is swelling. Decent trade off or no HTZ. Blood pressure last night was 106/59. Couldn't believe it s o tried again. 109/61. I guess I'm good without the HTZ but I will keep testing.

Today is mid 80's, hotter than yesterday. No air in my office. So hot and stuffy. No breeze. UGH.

Went to gym last three nights. Today is a break with a walk in the woods planned with a girlfriend. Looking forward to that.

Last night ate a couple of mini bell peppers. Don't know if they are contributing to hand inflammation but the are contributing greatly to my joy factor!

Yay bell peppers!  I don't think I've ever come across mini ones but since I'm imagining cute little versions of the lovely red ones I like to crunch, I love them already.  Crossing my fingers it's the HTZ withdrawal causing your swelling so you can keep enjoying the little suckers.

Sophie, the peppers are mini red, orange and yellow. The crunch factor is what I love. They are becoming available in more places. Maybe they'll make it across the pond!

Several pages of catching up again, intense read, hehe. Calee, I thought I am restless. Nope. I am a little baby compared, you are a trooper. I hope we all find a magic bullet to get sleep in order (I so relate to the fear of going to sleep early only to wake up at 3).

Bookmarker 99cents to watch this weekend, excited. Berlinale is a major film festival in Berlin and it's in September, that's why I assumed your son is going there too. Potsdam is actually a lot like Peterhoff, funny that you remembered it. 2 months and you are in Europe! Oh joy! 

Thank you for sharing with us. You have such a good heart and an amazing attitude. 

Cooking notes - 

Cauliflower mash is damn awesome too. 

Have you tried the whole head roast? Looks phenomenal and tastes amazing! Recipe. 

Have you tried cocoa toasted cauliflower? So interesting! Recipe. 

Caulirice pilaf is mmmmmmmmm

Just for you Calee, caulirice with bell peppers! called confetti! 

Have fun ladies :D 

Several pages of catching up again, intense read, hehe. Calee, I thought I am restless. Nope. I am a little baby compared, you are a trooper. I hope we all find a magic bullet to get sleep in order (I so relate to the fear of going to sleep early only to wake up at 3).

Bookmarker 99cents to watch this weekend, excited. Berlinale is a major film festival in Berlin and it's in September, that's why I assumed your son is going there too. Potsdam is actually a lot like Peterhoff, funny that you remembered it. 2 months and you are in Europe! Oh joy! 

Thank you for sharing with us. You have such a good heart and an amazing attitude. 

Cooking notes - 

Cauliflower mash is damn awesome too. 

Have you tried the whole head roast? Looks phenomenal and tastes amazing! Recipe. 

Have you tried cocoa toasted cauliflower? So interesting! Recipe. 

Caulirice pilaf is mmmmmmmmm

Just for you Calee, caulirice with bell peppers! called confetti! 

Have fun ladies :D

Nadia, thank you for the wonderful cauliflower recipes! I bookmarked thm and will try them soon.

I think Berlinale was in February this year, unless there are many parts. Z says they keep rejecting him but he's confident that one year.... :)

It's not funny that so many if us have dis-ordered sleep. We are no longer on sync with the sun and moon. Too many devices (guilty as I look at iPad, iPhone, mac, Dell, kindle, iPods, TiVo) for one person to detract from the earths cycle. Taking only kindle for retaing books to bed is the best thing that I changed in these 60 days and I was so resistant. What did I think was more important than my sleep?

Nadia, you storm trooper on while feeling sick. I'm just tired. Big difference!

Day 60: YAY! Slept 6 hours. Woke by 5:30 the way I do all week. No surprise, a bit tired.

Three days of HTZ and while I feel puffy, my rings finally fit first thing in the morning so my body is beginning to regulate. BP at night 107/59. This morning 117/68. I will continue to monitor.

Pilates at 11 followed by a walk through the farmers market. Maybe an afternoon movie if it's too hot to do anything else. It's 57 now, 90 later. That's jut too big a swing. We only need air con a few days a year, so we don't have it.

I'm not feeling inlined to off road tomorrow so I guess I'm not coming off my Whole 60 and it will online to evolve. I do however still have some food testing ahead of me. I'm going for cooked tomatoes by making Chocolate Chili for tomorrow. I'm going to throw it together and then dump into the crotchpot to simmer. I LOVE chili and have missed it a lot!

Now that I'm not as inflamed from the med withdrawal I will have a better assessment of food reintro.

My first month of Pilates and Barre ends today. 18 classes. Pretty good. I'm really proud of myself for not giving up on it because it's so hard for me. I've been exhausted a lot. I'm often tempted to sip some caffeinated coffee but remind myself that I want an opportunity to feel great on my own steam. Now that I'm paying full price it will encourage me to keep up my weekly routine of classes.

Who knows? Maybe I can turn this into a W90? We'll see what the next days/weeks holds.

I wish J would get home from Europe already. I want t o know if the promise of summer fun is just an illusion or if there is omething of substance here. I've been without a guy in my life for much too long. Don't even ask!

Happy Saturday!

• Moderators

It's funny that you're craving chili on what sounds like it will be one of the hottest days of the year for you. When i lived in San Francisco I would have jumped for joy for a 90 degree summer day (native Texan that I am). Enjoy it while you can!

You should be proud of yourself for the way you've tackled those classes with gusto without quitting or using crutches like coffee to get through. And it seems its paid off for you, too. You're noticing changes in your body and you're getting stronger in all kinds of ways. Getting off BP meds is about as huge as it gets. Good for you!

I'm right there with you on the guy front, but no real prospects for me. I keep hearing all kinds of unsavory things about Monkey Man that make me think it's a blessing that things tapered off quite quickly. I'm not one to pay attention to the rumor mill, but when you hear similar unsolicited stuff from various unconnected sources you have to wonder. Anyway, the point is that I have absolute faith that as you continue to love and treat yourself the way you want to be treated, the man that you long for will materialize. Maybe it's J, maybe not. But you've got the right attitude and you're so completely lovable that it's bound to happen sooner rather than later. :wub:

Oof, that's a big swing calee!  We get crazy hot here in Perth (we had an 11 day run of 35C plus days over December/January) but it doesn't dip like that.

Hope the chilli turned out well!  I really ought to try that - winter weather here so it'd be perfect!

You've said J likes you a lot, and the fact that you're wishing him home says you reciprocate so it sounds promising to me!  And totally second what Lady M, you're so lovable it's an inevitability really :)

It's funny that you're craving chili on what sounds like it will be one of the hottest days of the year for you. When i lived in San Francisco I would have jumped for joy for a 90 degree summer day (native Texan that I am). Enjoy it while you can!

You should be proud of yourself for the way you've tackled those classes with gusto without quitting or using crutches like coffee to get through. And it seems its paid off for you, too. You're noticing changes in your body and you're getting stronger in all kinds of ways. Getting off BP meds is about as huge as it gets. Good for you!

I'm right there with you on the guy front, but no real prospects for me. I keep hearing all kinds of unsavory things about Monkey Man that make me think it's a blessing that things tapered off quite quickly. I'm not one to pay attention to the rumor mill, but when you hear similar unsolicited stuff from various unconnected sources you have to wonder. Anyway, the point is that I have absolute faith that as you continue to love and treat yourself the way you want to be treated, the man that you long for will materialize. Maybe it's J, maybe not. But you've got the right attitude and you're so completely lovable that it's bound to happen sooner rather than later. :wub:

Lol, yes it's hot here this week. I'm happy for everyone who is in SF for Pride Weekend. From pictures that some friends have posted, SF is filled with partying people. Much to celebrate this weekend.

I've been craving chili since day 1. I was just waiting excitedly to reintro tomatoes. I actually got tiger prawns to put on cold salad fixings from the farmers market for the hot day. :)

Thank you for your kudos bout the BP meds. Much of this W process is in hopes of aging gracefully. Yesterday a sales clerk said she thought I was her age, 52, or younger. Yes! 10 years younger. Maybe her glasses were dirty. I don't care, I'll take it.

Thank you for your compliments on the workouts. I'm not sure where my commitment is coming from, but I love that I'm challenging myself.

Ahhhhh men. I'm sorry about Monkey Man. Of course you have to form your own opinion, but keeping an ear to recurring comments can't hurt at the same time. I've always said that I wanted to be filled with self love before I meet my match, so that he will reflect all of that back to me. Our partners are right around the corner, waiting until we're ready LadyM. You are so graceful and learning so much about how you want to take care of yourself. I love that this year you have made peace with food. That leaves you with so much brain space for creativity!

Sophie, I'm just afraid I'm creating a fantasy while J is away. I hope I can sustain my level of interest when he's here with me. I hope!

Day 61:

W60 Recap: I had a few goals coming into this.

1. Shed the 5 pounds that I could not shake from January to May while eating Primal Blueprint. Done!

2. Heal my sleep. I was taking 1/4 of an Ambien every night when I started on May 1st. I think I have taken 1/4 of a pill 3x in the last 6 weeks. I fall asleep more quickly than in the last 15 years. I had to listen to advice to stop taking my iPad to bed. I started limiting myself to only books so I replaced my kindle with a backlit version so I could read with lights out. iPad/Internet don't come to bed anymore. Now I read a few pages and fall asleep.

3. I wanted to see how I would feel without eggs, beef, oranges ( food sensitivities) and nightshades. I tested egg yolks sometime in the last 15 days. No problem. Had 1 bite of egg white. Outrageous sulfur gas. Won't be doing hat again. Beef, the jury is out. Not sure about nightshades, see chili review below.

4. I quit caffeinated coffee day 15. Had the WORST slump for around 5 days. I was only having 8 oz home brew at 5:30 am. Shocked at my exhaustion after quitting. I haven't taken up caffeine except in green tea occasionally or kombucha. While I would live the energy bost, I think it's a false God so I hope to stay off it.

5. I did a 15 (maybe longer too lay to look) AIP and felt best ever. I loved the No Nuts! I may take up AIP again during this next period of W Whatever.

6. Unexpected bonus. I'm off my BP meds as of last week. I tapered to 1/2 pill on June 4th and gave it up completely on June 26th. My doc will say I was naughty to do it without her but I'm checking my BP 2x a day at home. Lowest in decades.

7. Biggest unexpected bonus. Joined a Pilates and Barre studio for 30 days. I love it. Went 18x in 30 days. I am exhausted and soaked in sweat. My muscles ache. I get frustrated because I can't do the heavy weights. I do it again. During the first week I pinpointed that my balance is terrible which I not a god forecast for someone 62 because it can lead to falling later. Yesterday, on day 30 at he studio, I did a routine standing on the reformer carriage that I did the first day. It's standing while pushing the carriage away with one leg which involves balance. Yesterday it didn't frighten me. Last week when asked to commit to another 4 months, I debated the cost, which I can't afford, to what a broken hip at 75 might cost, and handed her my credit card. I'm delighted that I made progress in 30 days.

8. I let go of a guy that wasn't appropriate for me. Maybe part of letting go of foods not appropriate either? Letting go. Feels so good yet can be so daunting. Took up with a new guy that doesn't question my food, just wants to know when I can drink wine again.

9. I love the supportive community here. I get inspired to try new things, both foods and thought processes. I appreciate all of you!

So today is Day 61. There's nothing that I want to off road with today. I think I'll take it one day at a time. This Whole Whatever may turn into 90. Who knows?

Chocolate Chili review. Based on first test of cooked tomatoes. This could be totally coincidental so will eat again.

It was really easy to prepare. Put it together in cast iron pan, then into crotchpot to simmer for five hours. I thought flavor wise it needed a lot more spice to it. It tastes bland to me. The consistency is perfect. I crave beef and have only had it 3x in 60 days so I wanted to dig in. When I put it into the crotchpot, I ate 3/4 cup and went off to Pilates. At 1 I ate 1 cup of chili and veggies. Bland but good. An hour later I was hungry. Ate a few nuts and a peach. At 3:30 I ate dinner. Lamb chop and veggies. 4:30 I wanted more food do I left the house to go shopping. Just to get away from food. It suddenly occurred to me that he chili was giving me a false hunger. I felt six months pregnant, was farting up a storm and then while in the store got a tummy ache. Later in the day I ate a bit of watermelon instead of dinner time meal.

So the chili wasn't a success. Not sure which part, spices, beef, tomatoes or the combo. Chili was always one of my fav foods. Easy go to food. I'm sad and have a lot in the freezer.

I'm sorry about the Chili Calee. That recipe did not agree with me either. Worst heartburn I had since starting Paleo. Ugh! There are a LOT of tomatoes in that recipe which is what I stalk it up to as I handle everything else in it fairly well. Are you going to wait a few days and test it again? I made mine for company so there were not leftovers to try again.

Congrats on all you have accomplished so far! Can't wait to see where the next however many days takes you!

Aw. Bummed for you about the chili. I've been craving some fresh tomatoes for my green goddess dressing. Maybe by Aug, when the tomatoes are best, I'll be ready for a try. That choc chili has a lot going on: tomatoes, chili, chocolate. It is so easy though. It got me through the first w30 weeks. I probably eyeballed the spices based on what I usually use.

But you need to post your w60 write up in success stories! That BP success in itself is amazing. And also the balance on the reformer. And all the other great progress your mentioned. Good stuff! And you did it all with a positive attitude, with joy.

I'm sorry about the Chili Calee. That recipe did not agree with me either. Worst heartburn I had since starting Paleo. Ugh! There are a LOT of tomatoes in that recipe which is what I stalk it up to as I handle everything else in it fairly well. Are you going to wait a few days and test it again? I made mine for company so there were not leftovers to try again.

Congrats on all you have accomplished so far! Can't wait to see where the next however many days takes you!

Yes yes yes to the heartburn. Dang, I had so many other symptoms that I forgot about that.

Thank for the compliment. I too am curious bout the coming days!

Aw. Bummed for you about the chili. I've been craving some fresh tomatoes for my green goddess dressing. Maybe by Aug, when the tomatoes are best, I'll be ready for a try. That choc chili has a lot going on: tomatoes, chili, chocolate. It is so easy though. It got me through the first w30 weeks. I probably eyeballed the spices based on what I usually use.

But you need to post your w60 write up in success stories! That BP success in itself is amazing. And also the balance on the reformer. And all the other great progress your mentioned. Good stuff! And you did it all with a positive attitude, with joy.

Beets, you were my first supporter. Thank you thank you thank you! I think I'm too shy to post in success stories. Maybe sometime in the future. :)

Maybe you'll have to try the components of the chilli separately?  Sorry it didn't do it for you, now I'm ambivalent about trying it!  Though I do love crotchpot recipes.  I haven't used mine much lately.

60 days - you're my hero :)  

Maybe you'll have to try the components of the chilli separately?  Sorry it didn't do it for you, now I'm ambivalent about trying it!  Though I do love crotchpot recipes.  I haven't used mine much lately.

60 days - you're my hero :)

I'm becoming a crotchpot fan. Now I don't bother burying it in the back of the cupboard because I keep getting it back out. I use it mostly to make broth.

I had a cup of the chili last night. I had a bit of stomach burning/tension. Since I don't particularly skin react, it's harder to detect.

Day 62: hot here, no air, still slept well from 10:30-5, a bit restless towards morning with lots of dreams.

Nothing exciting. Eating template. Had to scramble to throw together lunch since chili is out. Will have a salad with protein instead. Always happy when IV frozen a few lamb or pork patties and have a few sweet potatoes in the fridge already cooked. 90 here today and tomorrow, no office air. Will lobby today to wear shorts this week.

I'm too fluffy. I know the answer is to tone up. I feel good in my clothes. It's at the studio in yoga pants and tank top. Looking in the mirrors while surrounded by women in 20's, 30's and even 40's, I look at myself, acknowledge how far I've come, then move right on to wondering how I can still be so freaking fat. For once in my life I'd like to be less fluffy. When I was 100 pounds heavier I was too defeated and hopeless to care. Now I care. I want muscles and probably another 10 pounds gone. Probably not gonna happen but I wonde if there's anything I can tweak during the next 30-45 days? More salads, less protein? Cut all nuts back out. Even though I eat less than 1 ounce a day and never in dangerous nut butter form. I bet that would help. I've let a Bit of fruit snacking back in. Time to cut that too. Meals are good and a bit smaller than template so I'm ok there. Definitely not more exercise. I'm maxed out there with 4 gym days, 1 long hike, another 60 minute walk and walking 15 minutes to work and 15 minutes home daily, then walking to studio and farmers market on Saturday. I also stretch every night and do feel good mat Pilates in front of TV. 144 is still fluffy at only 5'4", particularly at my age.

Happy Monday! I have so much to be grateful for. Fluff is my only problem. I'm lucky!

Archived